How is loneliness while single different from loneliness in marriage?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
www.101christiansocialnetwork.com
So many good answers already.
I believe being lonely in a marriage is worse - but I guess it depends on why and how long for etc. If it’s a permanent or constant regular state - defiantly better to be alone than married and lonely.

Speaking from My own experience Anyway.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
Adam was a perfect man, He walked with God literally. Yet God created him with a need - a desire. And then He met it perfectly via Eve. It is as natural to feel alone as it is to feel hungry.

To claim anyone is lacking as a believer somehow because they are lonely is vile.
Jesus, the man who had the FULLNESS of the Godhead, felt alone. He felt forsaken and He felt rejection. He wept over Jerusalem - His bride! How He longed to be with her - but she would not!

Loneliness can be a part of entering into the sufferings of Christ if we turn our thoughts to the true depth of His suffering for us. In marriage or singleness it still hurts and He can relate to that hurt.

Encouragement

Aug 25, 2020
Adam was a perfect man, He walked with God literally. Yet God created him with a need - a desire. And then He met it perfectly via Eve. It is as natural to feel alone as it is to feel hungry.

To claim anyone is lacking as a believer somehow because they are lonely is vile.
Jesus, the man who had the FULLNESS of the Godhead, felt alone. He felt forsaken and He felt rejection. He wept over Jerusalem - His bride! How He longed to be with her - but she would not!

Loneliness can be a part of entering into the sufferings of Christ if we turn our thoughts to the true depth of His suffering for us. In marriage or singleness it still hurts and He can relate to that hurt.
Hi tararose hope you are ok.Gosh it 3.05Am..were both still up..😊😊😅
Unfortunately I sense that being able to accurately interpret real life experiences in a common sense kinda way I guess seems kinda lost for some folks..There's a kinda unrealistic expectation that just because we are Christian we are somehow exempt from certain life experiences which are actually part of human existence such as loneliness within marriage or when single,...along with other experiences or say...stress,confusion, discouragement ect..I personality don't get it.Cox though God is forever there with us,on a humanist level we are all prone to experience real emotions based upon our life experiences..its so obvious...

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
We all know that not all singles and not married couples are lonely. However, people in both groups admit to being lonely. How is being lonely while single different from being lonely while married? Are they different or equally terrible? While everyone's views are welcome, I believe only people who have been both single (living alone) for an extended time and have been in long-term relationships/marriages can offer wise words on this topic.
I don't understand this being lonely whilst single. Before I married, I never had time to get lonely as I was always about my father's business. I was out most nights in some form of christian activity and if not that I was doing things for other people.

T

TheIndianGirl

I don't understand this being lonely whilst single. Before I married, I never had time to get lonely as I was always about my father's business. I was out most nights in some form of christian activity and if not that I was doing things for other people.
It's different when you are single but living with people (family, roommates, etc.). However, single and living alone is not the same. For awhile, I was busy with various things including work happy hour, church activity, etc. after work, but I was missing out on connection. A good friend is like a rare pearl.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Exactly, and in doing so you had His joy ?
Paul spoke of being content, whatever state he was in.
That is God's promise to us if we are in Christ, not the blaming and tumult we have seen in this thread from those who fight to proclaim He doesn't keep his promises if we do our part.
best wishes

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
Hi tararose hope you are ok.Gosh it 3.05Am..were both still up..😊😊😅
Unfortunately I sense that being able to accurately interpret real life experiences in a common sense kinda way I guess seems kinda lost for some folks..There's a kinda unrealistic expectation that just because we are Christian we are somehow exempt from certain life experiences which are actually part of human existence such as loneliness within marriage or when single,...along with other experiences or say...stress,confusion, discouragement ect..I personality don't get it.Cox though God is forever there with us,on a humanist level we are all prone to experience real emotions based upon our life experiences..its so obvious...
We are a pair of night owls it seems.

I am really glad for those who genuinely never get lonely. It must be great in one way. They must be having a great time never having any negative emotions or needing the Lords comfort through the trials of life.

Sad though that they will not be able to morn with those who morn, or empathise with others in their suffering as Christ can and does.

Sad too that they cannot offer the comfort which they themselves are comforted with to others, as they have no need of comfort.

Sad that they cannot comprehend the heart of Jeremiah the weeping prophet, the joy of the answered prayer after a long period of an aching heart, the joy that comes in the morning after a night of weeping, the blessing of those who mourn and are comforted, the experience of the Lord Jesus weeping over Jerusalem or the sufferings of many other godly men and women of the word and in the world around us.

And sadder still they will be unimpressed by the fact God collects our tears and will wipe them all away on that glorious day we enter heaven.

But it’s ok. We don’t all have the same experience here on Earth. Whatever trials they do have, may others be more compassionate towards them than they are over these natural human emotions and needs many of us have.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
"Sad too that they cannot offer the comfort which they themselves are comforted with to others, as they have no need of comfort."

Showing the way out exceeds mere "comfort". Sympathy feels sorry for a person, true compassion moves and does something about it. showing how to live to not allow oneself to become lonely is true compassion.

Encouragement

Aug 25, 2020
We are a pair of night owls it seems.

I am really glad for those who genuinely never get lonely. It must be great in one way. They must be having a great time never having any negative emotions or needing the Lords comfort through the trials of life.

Sad though that they will not be able to morn with those who morn, or empathise with others in their suffering as Christ can and does.

Sad too that they cannot offer the comfort which they themselves are comforted with to others, as they have no need of comfort.

Sad that they cannot comprehend the heart of Jeremiah the weeping prophet, the joy of the answered prayer after a long period of an aching heart, the joy that comes in the morning after a night of weeping, the blessing of those who mourn and are comforted, the experience of the Lord Jesus weeping over Jerusalem or the sufferings of many other godly men and women of the word and in the world around us.

And sadder still they will be unimpressed by the fact God collects our tears and will wipe them all away on that glorious day we enter heaven.

But it’s ok. We don’t all have the same experience here on Earth. Whatever trials they do have, may others be more compassionate towards them than they are over these natural human emotions and needs many of us have.
Yes it would seen are most definitely a pair of night gowns.. 🦉🦉🤣..(with our uncanny revolving heads checkng out the views here in C.C).😊
Yes you are right and I think the root is what's motivating someone not to be able to identify,emphasize ect with the emotional suffering of others?We are ALL the same and every one will go through either psychological emotional,physical or spiritual difficult times..none of us are exempt from this as Christian's the bible tells us this.I know that we have various personalities and we all deal with life in terms of how we respond in a wide variety of ways.
We do have various levels of emotional,psychological,physical and even spiritual sensitivities which can affect how we respond in the troublesome things of life.
Yet people can be motivated by pride,hardness of heart,selfishness,lack of people skills,arrogance,self importance,emotional immaturity,inexperience of particular life experiences and many other things that can make them unable to demonstrate any real emotional awareness when it comes to certain life experiences of others.This is why often in our lives there are certain people we would never go to for any kind of support if we're going through something.
Loneliness for example is basically to be in a state of silent mourning due to the absence of something you need weither it be companionship,emotional warmth,acceptance,appreciation and so on.Loneliness is born out of a degree of separation from something else which unfortunately is part of this fallen world which we can experience as Gods people though we are saved in our life experience.
The lockdown have highlighted many mental health issues and one of them is loneliness and feelings of isolation..

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
"Sad too that they cannot offer the comfort which they themselves are comforted with to others, as they have no need of comfort."

Showing the way out exceeds mere "comfort". Sympathy feels sorry for a person, true compassion moves and does something about it. showing how to live to not allow oneself to become lonely is true compassion.
I do feel you are a bit deluded as to the trials and tribulations we face in our weak human flesh. But I am not living your life so I cannot judge why you won’t accept even Jesus had negative and very real and painful emotions as a human.

The way out is Christ of course and the hope of heaven. The place where there is no more suffering. The place we long for daily because our souls are vexed here and because we suffer within this human frail flesh.

It might work for you but it isn’t always biblical or helpful to simply tell people they shouldn’t be suffering or affected by sufferings because they have Jesus - who Himself suffered both emotionally and physically, and therefore understands and helps us with in our our weakness.

Mar 1, 2021
Another important thing for married couples... even if you have a great relationship with your spouse, it's still good to have friends outside of marriage. Wives need time to spend with their girlfriends and husbands need time to spend with their friends. I also think it's good for couples to socialize together as a couple since they are "one flesh" and need to interact with other couples in the same way.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I also think it's good for couples to socialize together as a couple since they are "one flesh" and need to interact with other couples in the same way.
I'm sure you meant well... but that sentence might have been worded a little differently. ;)

Mar 1, 2021
I'm sure you meant well... but that sentence might have been worded a little differently. ;)
lol true. Hopefully everyone knew the Biblical reference! I need more coffee before posting... :ROFL:

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I do feel you are a bit deluded as to the trials and tribulations we face in our weak human flesh. But I am not living your life so I cannot judge why you won’t accept even Jesus had negative and very real and painful emotions as a human.

The way out is Christ of course and the hope of heaven. The place where there is no more suffering. The place we long for daily because our souls are vexed here and because we suffer within this human frail flesh.

It might work for you but it isn’t always biblical or helpful to simply tell people they shouldn’t be suffering or affected by sufferings because they have Jesus - who Himself suffered both emotionally and physically, and therefore understands and helps us with in our our weakness.

You are projecting out calling another "deluded"?
70+ years I have had more trials than you I am sure. I found to be content in following His guidance as we all should, as Paul did as well, and he had many trials.
May you reach that point some day soon.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
You are projecting out calling another "deluded"?
70+ years I have had more trials than you I am sure. I found to be content in following His guidance as we all should, as Paul did as well, and he had many trials.
May you reach that point some day soon.
I really don’t have to say anything. I think your post speaks for itself.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Yes, yours does.

inukubo

Jun 27, 2019
How 'bout them Cowboys!