If Scripture says God is a God of Justice then why is there so much INjustice?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
This is something that troubles me and I cannot seem to get to a place of rest within my spirit. I believe the bible but so much doesn't seem true - such as Scripture saying God is a God of Justice and yet I see injustice all around me. I have also cried out for justice numerous times and yet still I see evildoers apparently prosper.

Take Nancy Pelosi - one of the most evil politicians yet why is she still alive? Why didn't she die of the coronavirus, or why hasn't God removed her - He leaves her here to continue her wickedness. I've seen this up close too: evil people who God could have easily taken out yet He leaves them to continue doing wickedness. I know someone who has caused so many people a lot of grief yet God keeps her here. I don't usually pray for someone's death but I have prayed for her death.

Can anyone share how they came to terms with what the bible says vs what they're SEEING?
To be simple. Because of mankind's free will, Spiritual warfare, God's patience, and how often do you seek out the justice that does occur in the world? But above all else even if someone in your eyes doesn't recieve justice on Earth, they reap perfect justice in death and Hell.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
That's a good overview but still doesn't solve the problem of evil.

When I was searching during my own dark time of testing I came across a well-written article by a young woman who had been a Christian and was in service to Him somewhere. She was raped and after that said that she didn't feel like she fit in the world of believers anymore and walked away from her faith. Where IS God when injustice happens? Where IS He when we cry out to Him and He remains silent? I know my questions aren't new but they do trouble the mind.

I think we tuck away these doubts and hope we never have to actually LOOK at them but then something happens and there they are right in your face - and God does nothing. Like what happened to that young woman. Where WAS God? Why didn't He help her? I know that theologians have wrestled with the problem of evil and it doesn't look like any have really done a good job of explaining it - unless someone knows some works that have eased the minds of those who question.
I've never been raped so I couldn't imagine how that would feel physically, emotionally, spiritually. But regardless of what happens to us, it doesn't change who God is and His love for us.
Christians have been tortured, set a light as candles, fed to lions in the past, I can't say I know what their thoughts were towards God at those times. I do know one man who stood trial accused of being a Christian during the early church and he considered nothing of his flesh and told them he welcomed his death, so be it.
My firm belief that God's love doesn't change toward us hasn't been tested to these extremes but I have gone through trials in life, like all of us, and come out on the other side with a greater understanding that His love hasn't changed, when I feel like He wasn't there. Trials are meant to shape us, not destroy us.

Nebuchadnezzer

Feb 8, 2019

When I was searching during my own dark time of testing I came across a well-written article by a young woman who had been a Christian and was in service to Him somewhere. She was raped and after that said that she didn't feel like she fit in the world of believers anymore and walked away from her faith. Where IS God when injustice happens? Where IS He when we cry out to Him and He remains silent? I know my questions aren't new but they do trouble the mind.

I think we tuck away these doubts and hope we never have to actually LOOK at them but then something happens and there they are right in your face - and God does nothing. Like what happened to that young woman. Where WAS God? Why didn't He help her? I know that theologians have wrestled with the problem of evil and it doesn't look like any have really done a good job of explaining it - unless someone knows some works that have eased the minds of those who question.
WE are selfish individuals always seeking our own desires. If we never suffered we would never bother to even look for God. although the suffering stinks it is what we often need to fear and seek God. sometimes it takes us 30 or 40 years to start seeking god. but then we are so quick to expect god to come to us. No. God waited 30, 40 yrs for us to begin looking for him. Now he says u must wait on me. seems only fair.

keep seeking and keep waiting on the LORD.

DO NOT Trust man, which includes yourelf. trust in gods way, for he knows what we need. hard pill to swallow but so true

Sep 14, 2019
This is something that troubles me and I cannot seem to get to a place of rest within my spirit. I believe the bible but so much doesn't seem true - such as Scripture saying God is a God of Justice and yet I see injustice all around me. I have also cried out for justice numerous times and yet still I see evildoers apparently prosper.

Take Nancy Pelosi - one of the most evil politicians yet why is she still alive? Why didn't she die of the coronavirus, or why hasn't God removed her - He leaves her here to continue her wickedness. I've seen this up close too: evil people who God could have easily taken out yet He leaves them to continue doing wickedness. I know someone who has caused so many people a lot of grief yet God keeps her here. I don't usually pray for someone's death but I have prayed for her death.

Can anyone share how they came to terms with what the bible says vs what they're SEEING?
God's word and moral laws will come to pass whether in this life or the next. It is easy for us to be overwhelmed by the injustice we see here on earth but that doesn't mean that it will be like that in the next life for these evil acts people commit. And for those who die in their sins justice will be served in the next life. So people will need to give account for what they have done on this earth and while in the flesh and therefore they will receive justice because God is a just God.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
... I'd say if you're praying for the death of others, and finding this as reasonable in God's eyes,, I'd take a step back and look at your own heart.
Please excuse me for quoting just this part of your post, and leaving off the rest, most of which I considered well thought out and presented. In pondering the same issue you have addressed here, wondering if is acceptable to pray for others' deaths, and if there were any Scriptural examples of this, I did find one in Psalm 55:12-15. Generally speaking, though, I agree that we are exhorted to pray for those in power, as opposed to wishing them dead. Jesus said, “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." Matthew 5:43-45

saintrose

May 9, 2020
God's word and moral laws will come to pass whether in this life or the next. It is easy for us to be overwhelmed by the injustice we see here on earth but that doesn't mean that it will be like that in the next life for these evil acts people commit. And for those who die in their sins justice will be served in the next life. So people will need to give account for what they have done on this earth and while in the flesh and therefore they will receive justice because God is a just God.
My faith seems to be running low to believe in any kind of justice.

Feb 1, 2020
Well if God is a God of justice, and he is, then if there is a lot of injustice present this is merely proof that the society has rebelled against God.

saintrose

May 9, 2020
To be simple. Because of mankind's free will, Spiritual warfare, God's patience, and how often do you seek out the justice that does occur in the world? But above all else even if someone in your eyes doesn't recieve justice on Earth, they reap perfect justice in death and Hell.
I suppose after so much time passes and you still don't see God exact justice it feels like it will never happen. I don't agree with God doing that.

saintrose

May 9, 2020
I've never been raped so I couldn't imagine how that would feel physically, emotionally, spiritually. But regardless of what happens to us, it doesn't change who God is and His love for us.
Christians have been tortured, set a light as candles, fed to lions in the past, I can't say I know what their thoughts were towards God at those times. I do know one man who stood trial accused of being a Christian during the early church and he considered nothing of his flesh and told them he welcomed his death, so be it.
My firm belief that God's love doesn't change toward us hasn't been tested to these extremes but I have gone through trials in life, like all of us, and come out on the other side with a greater understanding that His love hasn't changed, when I feel like He wasn't there. Trials are meant to shape us, not destroy us.
Yes trials are supposed to shape us but what of those who have been through the equivalent of being burned at the stake? One of the first books I read as a new Christian, while under severe attack was Corrie ten Boom. It was awful. A question she posed while in the Nazi prison camp has stood out in my mind for years: "Lord, you set the stars in place, yet you cannot help us?"

Sep 14, 2019
My faith seems to be running low to believe in any kind of justice.
I'll say a prayer for you right now...Father you know saintrose and the questions he/she is having and perhaps a crisis of faith about all the injustices he/she sees around him/her. May he/she sense your presence and know that someday people will need to give an account for what they do but in your timing not in ours. May saintrose's faith be strengthened. In Jesus name I pray...amen.

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
Luke 18:1-8 NKJV:

"Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart, saying: 'There was in a certain city a judge who did not fear God nor regard man. Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying, ‘Get justice for me from my adversary.’ And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself, ‘Though I do not fear God nor regard man, yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.’ Then the Lord said, 'Hear what the unjust judge said. And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them? I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?”

Romans 12:17-21 NKJV:

"Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, 'Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,' says the Lord. Therefore

'If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
If he is thirsty, give him a drink;
For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.'

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

saintrose

May 9, 2020
WE are selfish individuals always seeking our own desires. If we never suffered we would never bother to even look for God. although the suffering stinks it is what we often need to fear and seek God. sometimes it takes us 30 or 40 years to start seeking god. but then we are so quick to expect god to come to us. No. God waited 30, 40 yrs for us to begin looking for him. Now he says u must wait on me. seems only fair.

keep seeking and keep waiting on the LORD.

DO NOT Trust man, which includes yourelf. trust in gods waary, for he knows what we need. hard pill to swallow but so true
Yes but would you say that to the young woman who was raped? "You need this to happen to you because it is molding you into a good person." ?

saintrose

May 9, 2020
I'll say a prayer for you right now...Father you know saintrose and the questions he/she is having and perhaps a crisis of faith about all the injustices he/she sees around him/her. May he/she sense your presence and know that someday people will need to give an account for what they do but in your timing not in ours. May saintrose's faith be strengthened. In Jesus name I pray...amen.
You hit the nail on the head - it is a crisis of my faith. I've been through quite a lot but this far along I just find myself sick of God and the suffering and injustice in this world. Injustice actually makes me sick to my stomach.

I spoke with a lawyer who walked away from his faith after handling priest sex abuse cases. I think of him a lot because of my own struggles. I've walked away from God before and found there was nothing else, but I still don't know how to swallow the injustice and pain He allows. I always tell Him he wants truth in my inmost being so here it is. But no answers come. Only another day. Oh well...

acts5_29

Apr 17, 2020
Take Nancy Pelosi - one of the most evil politicians yet why is she still alive? Why didn't she die of the coronavirus, or why hasn't God removed her - He leaves her here to continue her wickedness.
Fortunately, this makes the question a whole lot easier to answer. It's because God's sense of justice is different from your own. Frankly, this whole bit about Nancy Pelosi and wishing she die of Coronavirus is completely ridiculous.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
You hit the nail on the head - it is a crisis of my faith. I've been through quite a lot but this far along I just find myself sick of God and the suffering and injustice in this world. Injustice actually makes me sick to my stomach.

I spoke with a lawyer who walked away from his faith after handling priest sex abuse cases. I think of him a lot because of my own struggles. I've walked away from God before and found there was nothing else, but I still don't know how to swallow the injustice and pain He allows. I always tell Him he wants truth in my inmost being so here it is. But no answers come. Only another day. Oh well...
Yes there are many questions and a lot does not make sense. But at the end of the day, our faith is not (should not be) based on understanding and knowing everything, our faith didn't begin that way, nor will it be sustained in such a manner. It is resting in who He says He is regardless of what we see and hear. Your question and ponderings, as you said is an old one and we both know Habakkuk did the correct thing, he took it to God, and God is neither offended nor surprised that He did :) Keep seeking, don't give up, you'll never know everything!

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I suppose after so much time passes and you still don't see God exact justice it feels like it will never happen. I don't agree with God doing that.
Well also sometimes the righteous is mixed with God's judgment as Daniel was when his people was exiled and enslaved.

But your opinion of justice may not be how God will judge.

Agree or disagree but in the end God is God. You can disagree with man's interpretation but God's Word is truth.

In the Bible some cities went without judgment for decades or centuries. It took centuries before God decided to flood the Earth.

Nebuchadnezzer

Feb 8, 2019
Yes but would you say that to the young woman who was raped? "You need this to happen to you because it is molding you into a good person." ?
Now it feels perhaps you are trying to trap me :)

Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose.

We know that God can take bad things that have happened to us, wrong decisions that we made, and work them for our good.

He Is Able!

But it is not for me to judge others, it is for them to decide for themselves.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

We live in a fallen world where injustice reigns... That's the current problem in humanity that Jesus came to provide the solution to remedy.. That in regard to eternal salvation..

So Yes humans are often unjust but God is always Just.. The problem with people when they bring up the problem of injustice do not sit it under the correct culprits.. Humanity.. They sit it under the LORD unjustly..

Yes God allows the outcome of human injustice to be felt by humans and that leads people to know without doubt that we have a problem that can only be fixed by God,, at the right time..