If Women Can't Have Authority Over Men in the Church, Why Are They Expected to Teach in School?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
Dino is ok. Ive seen him on alot of threads. I just dont agree with his approach.

He can correct me is fine with me, I love to learn. But dont slam me down like a ragdoll with verbals. Especially when the context doesnt hold any weight. I can carry my own.

Pack a lunch.
Yes I noticed Dino can be quite emotional and provoking in his approach. But personal attacks is not ok.

TLC209

Mar 20, 2019
Merced, CA
Yes I noticed Dino can be quite emotional and provoking in his approach. But personal attacks is not ok.
Well im glad I didnt attack him.

If you are right about him being emotional, then that would makes sense. I had corrected him about something in the previous post and thats probably what set him on attack.

I just needed to get a monkey off my back. Hopefully it succeeded. Wont happen again. Pinky shwear.

K

kaylagrl

Oh boy.

Now you've done it, Didy.

Crusts vs. No Crusts is bound to be the next hot topic of debate. :LOL:

I may have missed it but I don't think anyone has yet answered the question in the OP. If Bible colleges equip men to preach, how is it that women are allowed to teach and have authority over men that will potentially be preachers? No one has answered how that isn't hypocritical.

I worry very much that many men have a fundamental misunderstanding of what headship is and what it isn't and that both spouses are to submit to one another. A lot of abuse has taken place in the church because this teaching has been misused and misunderstood. Every time this subject comes up it quickly gets heated, that tells me there is an attitude problem. This teaching, taken too far can be abuse.

I had a friend of the family become a pastors wife. She was such a talented,funny, sweet person, outgoing. We went to minister in their church after she married. She was a totally different person. Head down, didn't speak, scared of her own shadow. As we were getting ready for church she took my sister and I in her room to change. She took off her dress and had a black lacy full slip underneath. She begged my sister and I not to tell her husband because he would think it was sinful. Now that my friends is bondage. That's no different than the way Muslim women are treated. Years later I found out she divorced him. I don't know if he hit her, but I wouldn't be surprised. We have to be careful when we preach on this subject that we are not putting women in danger. Again, it can be taken too far.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I may have missed it but I don't think anyone has yet answered the question in the OP. If Bible colleges equip men to preach, how is it that women are allowed to teach and have authority over men that will potentially be preachers? No one has answered how that isn't hypocritical.

I worry very much that many men have a fundamental misunderstanding of what headship is and what it isn't and that both spouses are to submit to one another. A lot of abuse has taken place in the church because this teaching has been misused and misunderstood. Every time this subject comes up it quickly gets heated, that tells me there is an attitude problem. This teaching, taken too far can be abuse.

I had a friend of the family become a pastors wife. She was such a talented,funny, sweet person, outgoing. We went to minister in their church after she married. She was a totally different person. Head down, didn't speak, scared of her own shadow. As we were getting ready for church she took my sister and I in her room to change. She took off her dress and had a black lacy full slip underneath. She begged my sister and I not to tell her husband because he would think it was sinful. Now that my friends is bondage. That's no different than the way Muslim women are treated. Years later I found out she divorced him. I don't know if he hit her, but I wouldn't be surprised. We have to be careful when we preach on this subject that we are not putting women in danger. Again, it can be taken too far.

Unfortunately, when I wrote the thread, I was pretty sure there wouldn't be a Scriptural answer given to the questions asked in the OP.

After all, the synod practicing them couldn't seem to give any either.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I want to state for the record that I am not trying to knock the WELS Lutheran synod at all. I'm very grateful for the Christian education I received there and have nothing but praise for many of the pastors and teachers I had along the way.

In the case of one of the pastors I mentioned whose child rebelled, with some members of the congregation wanting him removed because of it, if I knew it would have even been acknowledged, I would have written a letter on his behalf because I believed he was an excellent pastor and teacher. But as a young female student, I'm sure my voice would not have mattered. However, even after I left that congregation and wrote him a letter 15 years later, he still responded promptly, and with compassion and sound Biblical counsel.

He also had a gift of teaching in that he knew how to transition to speaking to someone as young teenage student to a full-grown adult.

But as I think will happen with any body of believers (due to the fact that I don't think imperfect people can interpret the perfect Word of a perfect God perfectly while on a sinful earth), I did see several inconsistencies that have always troubled me. The same thing happened when I went to the Assemblies of God, and I'm sure inconsistencies exist in all denominations in one form or another.

What I appreciate the most from these types of discussions are the things I learn from what others have learned or been taught, and what they have experienced in their own Christian walks along the way. I'm also overjoyed when someone posts a passage I may have overlooked, not been made aware of, or haven't heard recited for the 1200th time on that particular subject.

As stated in an earlier post, I very much appreciate that people would take the time to read, consider, and add to a discussion about this topic. :)

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
Unfortunately, when I wrote the thread, I was pretty sure there wouldn't be a Scriptural answer given to the questions asked in the OP.

After all, the synod practicing them couldn't seem to give any either.
Why is there no scriptural answer? Could it be because the truth is that women can not really have authority over men in church? Because the God ordained role of men is to be leaders and women is to be supporters. That is why we should not be conformed with the ways of the world. The world has already switched the roles of men and women the way satan wanted it. But in the house of the Lord, His word must still be followed.

TLC209

Mar 20, 2019
Merced, CA
Why is there no scriptural answer? Could it be because the truth is that women can not really have authority over men in church? Because the God ordained role of men is to be leaders and women is to be supporters. That is why we should not be conformed with the ways of the world. The world has already switched the roles of men and women the way satan wanted it. But in the house of the Lord, His word must still be followed.
What kind of church do you go to? If you dont mind me asking?

TLC209

Mar 20, 2019
Merced, CA
I want to state for the record that I am not trying to knock the WELS Lutheran synod at all. I'm very grateful for the Christian education I received there and have nothing but praise for many of the pastors and teachers I had along the way.

In the case of one of the pastors I mentioned whose child rebelled, with some members of the congregation wanting him removed because of it, if I knew it would have even been acknowledged, I would have written a letter on his behalf because I believed he was an excellent pastor and teacher. But as a young female student, I'm sure my voice would not have mattered. However, even after I left that congregation and wrote him a letter 15 years later, he still responded promptly, and with compassion and sound Biblical counsel.

He also had a gift of teaching in that he knew how to transition to speaking to someone as young teenage student to a full-grown adult.

But as I think will happen with any body of believers (due to the fact that I don't think imperfect people can interpret the perfect Word of a perfect God perfectly while on a sinful earth), I did see several inconsistencies that have always troubled me. The same thing happened when I went to the Assemblies of God, and I'm sure inconsistencies exist in all denominations in one form or another.

What I appreciate the most from these types of discussions are the things I learn from what others have learned or been taught, and what they have experienced in their own Christian walks along the way. I'm also overjoyed when someone posts a passage I may have overlooked, not been made aware of, or haven't heard recited for the 1200th time on that particular subject.

As stated in an earlier post, I very much appreciate that people would take the time to read, consider, and add to a discussion about this topic. :)
What is assemblies of God? And you mentioned Lutheran church? What are those churches about?

And im curious about the inconsistencies you caught on about? Can you share?

TLC209

Mar 20, 2019
Merced, CA
I have been to many churches. Trying to find the one who does'nt teach false doctrine. Lol! I have'nt tried going to a mosque though.
A mosque? That sounds intense. Ya im in the same boat looking for a church. I need to find a good church for me and my son. I have my 5 year old son that I want growing up in a solid church. All these man made doctrines make it so complicated...

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
Assemblies of God is a Pentecostal fellowship.

I grew up in a Spanish AG fellowship.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
A mosque? That sounds intense. Ya im in the same boat looking for a church. I need to find a good church for me and my son. I have my 5 year old son that I want growing up in a solid church. All these man made doctrines make it so complicated...
I'm kidding of course. I am not switching to Islam. I am planning to attend a new church. You might want to try it. It's mega church founded and based in the Philippines. I think they have a church in the USA.

http://www.ccf.org.ph

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
What is assemblies of God? And you mentioned Lutheran church? What are those churches about?

And im curious about the inconsistencies you caught on about? Can you share?
WELS - Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod.

Very conservative; infant baptism with 3 drops of water; closed communion (only other WELS or those having the same beliefs are allowed to take it); communion wine, not grape juice (because they believed original Biblical communion was performed with real wine, not grape juice): speaking in tongues is of the devil; does not believe in the Rapture or the literal 1000 year Reign of Christ; no women may attend board meeting, serve on leadership staff, or become pastors... However, women could teach in their schools, even up to, as stated in the original post, college level.

At least, this is how it was in the church I attended. I grew up in the Lutheran school system from kindergarten through 12th grade, as well as every vacation bible school and Sunday school class along the way - which just makes me someone who grew up surrounded and steeped into church teaching and culture, nothing more.

Assemblies of God - pretty much the exact opposite.

Adult, full-submersion baptism; open communion (anyone can take it) with grape juice; speaking in tongues (but NOT as something necessary for salvation); believes in the literal Rapture and 1000 year Reign of Christ; has women involved in all areas of the church (often as co-leaders with their husbands.) Again, this is only the church I went to.

I have found a staggering amount of differences just between churches of the same denominations.

Inconsistencies: I tend to use the word "inconsistency" rather than "false doctrine" because I often found the difference between what was preached and what was carried out to be troubling, and some wouldn't technically be considered a false doctrine.

My most often-used example was at my Lutheran high school: any girl who became pregnant out of wedlock was asked not to come back as soon as her pregnancy was discovered. But yet, the father (if he was at the school) was allowed to stay.

While fully intended with faith in mind, the school was a bare-bones organization with a massive debt and high tuition fees because they wanted to keep it completely independent of any outside money, so that they had full control over what was taught (which is understandable.) They wanted to keep their doctrine sound according to their own teachings with no outside lobbying or special interests.

I understand that having young, unmarried teenage girls walking down the halls of a Christian school promoting a Christ-centered education would not be seen as very reputable, nor would it have drawn the larger numbers of students they needed to keep the school running.

But as a teen, I was deeply troubled by the fact that we were required to attend daily devotions, classes, and lessons on God's love, mercy, and forgiveness, but yet someone with a visible sin was publicly put away and forced to go elsewhere for her education. Isn't this a time when she would need a presumably Christ-centered surrounding the most? And wouldn't have this been a good learning experience for other students, to see the family of God in action when caring for this girl and her soon-to-be child?

The pastor I spoke about (whom I would have supported) had a child who was part of a couple in this situation (but yet all of his other children were model students), so for me, this hit very close to home.

P.S. I am adopted. There is no record of my parents, but children are usually not abandoned under good circumstances.

I thank God that my own birth mother did not attend the Lutheran high school that I did. She would have been kicked out as soon as they knew I existed. But if my father had been there, he would have been allowed to stay.

TLC209

Mar 20, 2019
Merced, CA
Assemblies of God is a Pentecostal fellowship.

I grew up in a Spanish AG fellowship.
Well I really like the pentecostal church. Up until they started talking about oneness. I found the pentecostal church to be the most Spiritual churches thus far. Especially the spanish services. I attended a few in San Francisco.