Is declaring "Jesus is Lord" basically...?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 24, 2012
Is declaring "Jesus is Lord" basically just affirming that Jesus is God and the Lord of all creation?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Is declaring "Jesus is Lord" basically just affirming that Jesus is God and the Lord of all creation?

Actually, declaring Jesus, Yeshua, is Lord as you described indicates the person knows by the Holy Spirit. This testimony is also the Spirit of prophesy according to Revelation.

Like all words relating wisdom and truth from above, there can be many attributes to the meaning. This is our Father's mind at work, not ours…...He gives us the understanding.

Just as now, if you understand what I have relate, it is not I from Whom you are receiving it, it is of the Holy Spirit.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
The phrase "Jesus Christ is Lord" can be found in Phil 2v10,11, which is taken from Isaiah 45v23: "I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear." In Isaiah 45v23 it is Yahweh speaking and the Greek word "kurios" is used to translate "Lord" in Phil 2v11, the same Greek word is used in this passage in Isaiah to translate the Hebrew 'Yahweh' in the Septuagint (which the early Church writers, under the divine inspiration of the Holy Spirit, used to take OT prophetic Scriptures and use them in the NT writings), so the phrase 'Jesus Christ is Lord' teaches that 'Jesus Christ is Yahweh,' the Greater Creator and Sustainer of all things, the One Who is our Saviour. Col 1v14-18.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Only a believer can declare Jesus is The Lord. As a lost person, declaring Jesus is Lord will get you no where. A lost person must confess the Lord Jesus, the testimony of Cross for sin.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
This concept comes from 1 Corinthians 12:1-3:

Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed. 2 You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. 3 Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
what's the difference between this and the infamous 'lord, lord'?

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Only a believer can declare Jesus is The Lord. As a lost person, declaring Jesus is Lord will get you no where. A lost person must confess the Lord Jesus, the testimony of Cross for sin.
Amen! Romans 10:8 - But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, in your mouth and in your heart" (TOGETHER) that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, (notice the reverse order from verse 9-10) - that if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Confess/believe; believe/confess.

1 Corinthians 12:3 - Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except BY the Holy Spirit. There is divine influence or direct operation of the Holy Spirit in the heart of a person when confessing that Jesus is Lord. This confession is not just a simple acknowledgment in our head that Jesus is the Lord (even the demons believe that), but is a deep personal conviction of who Jesus truly is and that Jesus is that person's Lord and Savior.

So simply believing in our head (and not in our heart) that God raised Him from the dead does not result in righteousness and simply giving "lip service" to the words "Jesus is Lord" (Matthew 7:22-23) not by the Holy Spirit is not unto salvation.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
Maybe people can call Jesus Lord without meaning it. Like taking God's name in vain.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I am His bondservant, He is my Lord, my Master and my Savior. It is because of Him, I am a Child of God...

Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy, to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.
Jude 1:24‭-‬25 NASB

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
what's the difference between this and the infamous 'lord, lord'?
Good Question, lord lord, has the meaning of master, master which is not on the level of Jesus is Lord. Also, it is their works, fruit that shows who they know.

Matthew 7:21-23 English Standard Version (ESV)
I Never Knew You
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The corinthians passage is talking about speaking by the Spirit of God...its concerning spiritual gifts.
The previous verse talks about when they were Gentiles caried away unto these DUMB idols, even as you were led..

Those idols were DUMB in that they couldnt speak.

Its referrring to tongues when the holy spirit gives utterance.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
My kjv states 'Jesus is THE Lord...'
Seems like other translations write 'Jesus is Lord.'

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I am His bondservant, He is my Lord, my Master and my Savior. It is because of Him, I am a Child of God...

Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy, to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.
Jude 1:24‭-‬25 NASB

It takes a while for any and all to realize he or she truly wants to comletely belong to our Savior. It is so comforting to know He is Lord and that He rates all glory, that is glory for everything. When we truly feel and realize his total command and love we are then able to truly worhip Him. He is wonderufll and there for us from the cross to the throne, His throne, amen.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
More ignorant KJV-only slander. It really does get tiresome.
There really is a big difference between saying Jesus is Lord and Jesus is THE Lord.

If you say Jesus is Lord that could be inferring a sort of intellectual, tip of that, surface kind of belief.

If you say Jesus is THE Lord then there are a lot of inferences that go along with that. Such as;

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.