Is faith WITHOUT works dead to GOD or Is faith WITHOUT works dead to man?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is faith Without works dead to GOD or man?

• FAITH without works Is dead to GOD.

• FAITH without works Is NOT dead to GOD.

• Faith without works Is dead to GOD AND man.

• Faith without works Is dead to man only.

• Other,I will explain.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Artios1

Born again to serve
Dec 11, 2020
It’s Dead ….. to both God and man.

That chapter culminates with

Jas 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

A better translation to 2:26 is ….For as the body without the spirit is dead, even so believing without corresponding action is dead.

Faith or believing (pistis) requires action …or acting as if it is or has happened which corresponds to

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Literal translation to 11:1 ….Believing is the foundation, ground, or title deed of matters not yet seen but hoped for when it is based on the correct and accurate information that has come from God through revelation or the Word God.

I have come to realize that we do not grow in faith/believing ….we do grow in confidence and trust towards the Word, and God, But with believing/faith we either have it (or do it) or we don’t. I know that seems contrary to some verses especially the mustard seed one (Mat 17:20) but it’s not when you think in terms of in volume rather than capacity.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
Works do not necessarily follow saving faith immediately (even though ideally they should do so). It was many years after Abraham believed God that he was asked to sacrifice Isaac, and he did obey. James uses that as evidence of Abraham's faith. On the other hand we see the apostle Paul preaching Christ within days of his conversion. So "faith without works is dead" would apply to those who have professed faith for quite some time, but have not produced any good works. Good works are a necessary outcome of genuine salvation.

Dec 9, 2011
It’s Dead ….. to both God and man.

Jas 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

A better translation to 2:26 is ….For as the body without the spirit is dead, even so believing without corresponding action is dead.

Faith or believing (pistis) requires action …or acting as if it is or has happened which corresponds to

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Literal translation to 11:1 ….Believing is the foundation, ground, or title deed of matters not yet seen but hoped for when it is based on the correct and accurate information that has come from God through revelation or the Word God.

I have come to realize that we do not grow in faith/believing ….we do grow in confidence and trust towards the Word, and God, But with believing/faith we either have it (or do it) or we don’t. I know that seems contrary to some verses especially the mustard seed one (Mat 17:20) but it’s not when you think in terms of in volume rather than capacity.
I would have to ask did the thief on the cross do any good works after receiving salvation so then was his faith without doing any works dead to GOD?

Dec 9, 2011
Works do not necessarily follow saving faith immediately (even though ideally they should do so). It was many years after Abraham believed God that he was asked to sacrifice Isaac, and he did obey. James uses that as evidence of Abraham's faith. On the other hand we see the apostle Paul preaching Christ within days of his conversion. So "faith without works is dead" would apply to those who have professed faith for quite some time, but have not produced any good works. Good works are a necessary outcome of genuine salvation.
Your last statement confused me but the rest of your post Is outstanding.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Yes, James is simply saying faith that is not accompanied by evidential works demonstrates that it's dead. If someone merely says-claims (key word) they have faith, but lack resulting evidential works, then they demonstrate that they have an empty profession of faith/dead faith and not authentic faith. (James 2:14)

James is discussing the evidence of faith (says-claims to have faith but has no works/I will show you my faith by my works - James 2:14-18) and not the initial act of being accounted as righteous with God. (Romans 4:2-3)

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014

The comparison of the human spirit and faith converges around their modes of operation. The spirit (Greek pneuma) may also be translated "breath." As a breathless body exhibits no indication of life, so fruitless faith exhibits no indication of life. The source of the life in faith is not works; rather, life in faith is the source of works. (Ephesians 2:5-10)

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Yes, James is simply saying faith that is not accompanied by evidential works demonstrates that it's dead. If someone merely says-claims (key word) they have faith, but lack resulting evidential works, then they demonstrate that they have an empty profession of faith/dead faith and not authentic faith. (James 2:14)

James is discussing the evidence of faith (says-claims to have faith but has no works/I will show you my faith by my works - James 2:14-18) and not the initial act of being accounted as righteous with God. (Romans 4:2-3)
Are you justified by works? If so, to whom are you justified by works? How many works bring justification?

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
The question doesn't concern me. The scripture only says faith without works is dead; that's good enough for me.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Are you justified by works? If so, to whom are you justified by works? How many works bring justification?
Man is shown to be righteous by works, just as Abraham was, (James 2:21) yet man is not accounted as righteous by works. (Romans 4:2-6) James 2:18 - But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. We show our faith by our works before God and man. The Bible does not give a specific numbers of works. The apostle Paul had numerous good works, yet the thief on the cross simply rebuked the other thief next to him, defended the Lord and asked Him to remember him when He comes into His kingdom, demonstrating his faith. Jesus promised him that day he will be with Him in Paradise.

If you were put on trial for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you? It does not necessarily take a lot of evidence.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
It is written that faith without works is dead, no more question.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
The comparison of the human spirit and faith converges around their modes of operation. The spirit (Greek pneuma) may also be translated "breath." As a breathless body exhibits no indication of life, so fruitless faith exhibits no indication of life. The source of the life in faith is not works; rather, life in faith is the source of works. (Ephesians 2:5-10)
Here we go again.... ready lol

What has died was once alive correct?

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022

Here we again, lol ready...

Was this dead faith once alive?

Surely natural law would state it had to be, since is it is now described as dead?

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Man is shown to be righteous by works, just as Abraham was, (James 2:21) yet man is not accounted as righteous by works. (Romans 4:2-6) James 2:18 - But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. We show our faith by our works before God and man. The Bible does not give a specific numbers of works. The apostle Paul had numerous good works, yet the thief on the cross simply rebuked the other thief next to him, defended the Lord and asked Him to remember him when He comes into His kingdom, demonstrating his faith. Jesus promised him that day he will be with Him in Paradise.

If you were put on trial for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you? It does not necessarily take a lot of evidence.
I'm not talking about showing our faith. I'm talking about justification. The NT believer is justified the moment he calls on the name of the Lord. Yes? Our justification comes from the faith of Jesus Christ. Christ accomplished the work for our justification.

Galatians 2:
16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

The book of James is not written to the body of Christ, but to the twelve tribes scattered abroad during the times of Jacob's trouble. These are not "Christian" tribes, but the nation of Israel as a whole. This is evident.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Here we go again.... ready lol

What has died was once alive correct?
No. It was dead from the start. James 2:14 - key word (says/claims) to have faith.. empty profession of faith/dead faith.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
No. It was dead from the start. James 2:14 - key word (says/claims) to have faith.. empty profession of faith/dead faith.

It cannot be dead from the start that is impossible. So you see why this makes salvation lose-able if we interpret it this way?

Words have a semantic ranges and this "dead" means not in use, not functioning. James is writing to believers.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022

That is correct they are claiming it but not showing it, they do possess saving faith and were saved.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
The faith of Christ justifies the believer. The believer's works/labor will be judged at the judgment seat of Christ. Rewards are at stake. The believer is cannot justify himself by any amount of works. Christ's work on the cross is the only work that can bring eternal justification.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
It cannot be dead from the start that is impossible. So you see why this makes salvation lose-able if we interpret it this way?

Words have a semantic ranges and this "dead" means not in use, not functioning. James is writing to believers.
Salvation wasn't lost here. Can that faith save him? James asks. The answer is no and it's not because we are saved by works, but because this is not authentic faith (which results in producing works) but a bare profession of faith. Says/claims to have faith sums it up.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I'm not talking about showing our faith. I'm talking about justification. The NT believer is justified the moment he calls on the name of the Lord. Yes? Our justification comes from the faith of Jesus Christ. Christ accomplished the work for our justification.

Galatians 2:
16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

The book of James is not written to the body of Christ, but to the twelve tribes scattered abroad during the times of Jacob's trouble. These are not "Christian" tribes, but the nation of Israel as a whole. This is evident.
Sounds like another case of hyper dispensationalism and faith "of" Jesus Christ vs. faith "in" Jesus Christ. :cautious: