Is it a sin to drink alcohol

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The verse in context is speaking about unwashed hands
the point of washing hands is to remove contaminants that may otherwise go into a man's mouth.

the Pharisees champion the teaching of human tradition that what goes into a man's mouth can contaminate him.

Jesus rebukes such people or what comes out of their mouths ;)

repent!

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
the point of washing hands is to remove contaminants that may otherwise go into a man's mouth.

the Pharisees champion the teaching of human tradition that what goes into a man's mouth can contaminate him.

Jesus rebukes such people or what comes out of their mouths ;)

repent!
Ceremonially 'defiled', as context showed. The Pharisees were concerned about ceremonial, Jesus was concerned about the Spiritual Law of God (Ten Commandments) in the life of men, and they (men) being actually defiled morally.

Steve13

Dec 3, 2020
I think there is nothing wrong with someone drinking alcohol. But you always need to do this in small quantities, since you can harm your health and bring yourself to death or alcoholism, which is unacceptable in my opinion. But I know that you always need to visit
student share org as it is much healthier and more convenient than drinking alcohol and helping you in various situations

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I think there is nothing wrong with someone drinking alcohol. But you always need to do this in small quantities, since you can harm your health and bring yourself to death or alcoholism, which is unacceptable in my opinion. But I know that you always need to visit
student share org as it is much healthier and more convenient than drinking alcohol and helping you in various situations

:)

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
Proverbs20:1 Wine [is] a mocker, strong drink [is] raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
Who do you think is be mocked here, I think it is talking about GOD, That is the only one that I know that it could be talking about, Tell me one place in the BIBLE, that there was Alcohol being drunk and something bad didn't happen. I do not know of any.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
As long as whatever your custom is does not control you, you are fine to have strong drink within reason or the milder ones, also within reason.

Nothing by entering the body will corrupt anyone for it passes through the body and then out through the toilet.

B

Blackpowderduelist

no its not and anyone who claims it is is adding traditions to bible

this idea of new wine being non alcoholic is already refuted when they mock people in pentecost and say "These are full of NEW WINE" i dont think they meant grape juice.

i say bring back wine for communion lets stop listening to holier than thou church ladies and salvation army. lutheran style

and before someone says it i already say: i dont drink at all right now, so im not a drunkard.
Lutherans use wine.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
As long as whatever your custom is does not control you, you are fine to have strong drink within reason or the milder ones, also within reason.

Nothing by entering the body will corrupt anyone for it passes through the body and then out through the toilet.
Idk about nothing because some things hit the very spots in the brain that control our thought processes, actions, and reality. Meth enters the body, processed through the body and it has corrupted many in addiction and criminal activity as they race to get high again.

But on alcohol, Paul told us

"I have the right to do anything," you say--but not everything is beneficial. "I have the right to do anything"--but I will not be mastered by anything.

Some people have genetic mutations passed down from the parents that contribute greater to alcoholism. So not only does that increase the chances of being mastered by it but decreasing the beneficial factors that could be present, if any.

If we are of the category where it may not master us then we must ask, is it beneficial. Does it bring glory to God? Is it moral, immoral, or amoral?

I could say it is amoral as it in itself doesn't have a moral command other than do not be drunk.

So alcohol in itself is amoral but what we choose to do with it can be immoral or moral. Moral in the sense of permissible under such conditions.

I usually get most of the questions of is it beneficial answered by asking myself does it honor God or bring glory to God. Then I judge its importance or benefits. As in is it healthy, good for me, or good for others around me.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Proverbs20:1 Wine [is] a mocker, strong drink [is] raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
Who do you think is be mocked here, I think it is talking about GOD, That is the only one that I know that it could be talking about, Tell me one place in the BIBLE, that there was Alcohol being drunk and something bad didn't happen. I do not know of any.
The Wedding at Cana... John 2.
Perhaps John omitted the late night drunken brawl that occurred? :LOL:

student

Jul 20, 2010
The Wedding at Cana... John 2.
Perhaps John omitted the late night drunken brawl that occurred? :LOL:
But that wasn't wine with alcohol in it.
It was the true blood of the vine..the first fruits.

The long and short of it is, 1 in 7 who drinks will become addicted. It's hell on earth to watch a person deteriorate that way. Are you willing to be that "!"? The one who deteriorates may never see the light of heaven or any light on earth again. Just saying

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
But that wasn't wine with alcohol in it.
It was the true blood of the vine..the first fruits.

The long and short of it is, 1 in 7 who drinks will become addicted. It's hell on earth to watch a person deteriorate that way. Are you willing to be that "!"? The one who deteriorates may never see the light of heaven or any light on earth again. Just saying
I've heard people say it had no alcohol in it and I'm yet to look into it further.
My family has alcohol issues, I drank a lot before I encountered Jesus and it was something that stopped immediately. I didn't drink a single drop for many years.
Now I occasionally enjoy a beer, glass of wine or apple cider. And my conscience is clear. It is something I do in private or with a brother or sister who is in mutual agreement.
I am not willing to be anything you suggest, nor will I be persuaded by your argument.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
The first miracle that Jesus performed, at His mother's request, was to turn water into wine at the wedding at Cana. Nothing bad was reported as a result of this. Jesus drank wine at the Last Supper too. Of course, afterwards He was crucified and some would say that was a bad thing albeit nothing to do with the beverage that was consumed the night before.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I've heard people say it had no alcohol in it and I'm yet to look into it further.
My family has alcohol issues, I drank a lot before I encountered Jesus and it was something that stopped immediately. I didn't drink a single drop for many years.
Now I occasionally enjoy a beer, glass of wine or apple cider. And my conscience is clear. It is something I do in private or with a brother or sister who is in mutual agreement.
I am not willing to be anything you suggest, nor will I be persuaded by your argument.
“Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after
the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”

Having "too much to drink" rather plainly suggests alcohol content.

Drinking grape juice would not so impair the senses, that the guests
would not be able to tell which was the better of the two beverages ;)

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
The first miracle that Jesus performed, at His mother's request, was to turn water into wine at the wedding at Cana. Nothing bad was reported as a result of this. Jesus drank wine at the Last Supper too. Of course, afterwards He was crucified and some would say that was a bad thing albeit nothing to do with the beverage that was consumed the night before.
The new wine was GRAPE juice, The BIBLE says NOT to destroy the wine that is in the CLUSTER,
And turning does destroy IT, GOD say IT that settle it. how can we go any further,
JUSUS would tell us this then do it his self, that is what is called a hypocrite

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The new wine was GRAPE juice, The BIBLE says NOT to destroy the wine that is in the CLUSTER,
And turning does destroy IT, GOD say IT that settle it. how can we go any further,
JUSUS would tell us this then do it his self, that is what is called a hypocrite
PLEASE proofread your posts before clicking, "Post reply". Mis-spelling Jesus' name really undermines your credibility.

student

Jul 20, 2010
The issues are in the Greek Language....There are errors in interpretation...in the fact that Oinos and Tirosh are the two words for wine. One has alcohol in it, the other does not. You'd have eto research that to fully understand.
God love you all, I pray, but know that drinking or not...if you love God, and have a personal relationship with Him, He may ask you to change that. God is a gentleman to every creature. If you choose hell, he will let you go there. It's dark and darker and you continue to age for all eternity. If it's heaven you want...well, you may want to consider a relationship with HIm now so you can find that hope.
I'm not being judgemental nor do I mean to be. I would rather be a blinking stop sign... I'm just sharing what I know from experience. Blessings _ student

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
The wedding in Cana?