is it ok to be friends with gays.

  • Thread starter Thread starter LatoyaQ
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
first off, I know in the bible that being homosexual is wrong, but is it ok to be friends with someone who is homosexual? I'm trying to get right with God and i'm questioning everything i'm doing in my life right now. I just want to be on the safe side so does anyone has an answer for me?

I'd say that its fine to be friends with them, but if they influence you to sin... then your better off not being friends with them. I had a group of secular friends that would always talk about sex a lot and you know it did not help me keep a pure mind. It affected me to think about sex and lust. Take my advice, if the situation puts you in danger of sin.. your better off staying away from that situation. AND for that last sentence I do have an awesome proverbs! :D

Proverbs 22:3

The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty.
 
How can light have fellowship with darkness? Do not be unequally yoked. Bad company corrupts good morals. With such a one do not even eat- these are all scriptures.
 
One who has experienced childhood sexual abuse, one who had parents or other caretakers who provided a distorted example of masculinity or femininity, or one who had exposure to pornography at an early age may understandably have difficulties. Genetic, hormonal, and psychological factors may also play a role in distorting sexual feelings. It is comforting to know, however, that our Creator can provide help and support to those who need it.—Psalm 33:20; Hebrews 4:16. Jesus extends an open invitation to any who wants to benefit from the love of the Christian Congregation. Sin affects everyone of us is some form or fashion. The God of the Bible is a Savior of all sorts of men! (1Corithians 6:9-11) Jesus too was criticized for the company he kept.(Mark 2:15)
 
What? Is it wrong to be gay? :eek:

What if I don't want to be sad and grumpy, but I want to be gay? Won't you be friends with me?
 
​I know alot of gay people..most are my neighbors.. I have no problem with them, except for their lifestyle..I even know a few transgender people also..
 
What? Is it wrong to be gay? :eek:

What if I don't want to be sad and grumpy, but I want to be gay? Won't you be friends with me?
Reminds me of a quote from a book I read.
"You know he's gay, right?"
"Well I'm kind of jolly sometimes myself."
"No, he's a faggot."
"He's a bundle of sticks?"
"I mean he's a homosexual."
"Oh... well don't worry about it, I'm pretty sure he's not gonna try to ask YOU out."
 
Here's an even more interesting question: Was it ok for Christians to be friends with me when I was unsaved years ago? Praise be to God Almighty that when I was walking in darkness and was a partaker of numerous sins, that a young Christian woman befriended me and showed me Christ Jesus. I thank God that she didn't avoid me even though I was worldly and spiritually blind.
 
I don't know.
Is it okay to be friends with straight christians who are prone to occasional lustful thoughts toward opposite-gendered people they do not intend to marry on the spot?

Oh wait...

:rolleyes:
 
first off, I know in the bible that being homosexual is wrong, but is it ok to be friends with someone who is homosexual? I'm trying to get right with God and i'm questioning everything i'm doing in my life right now. I just want to be on the safe side so does anyone has an answer for me?

We are all imperfect and fall short of the glory of God. You can shun those who are homosexual or any other persuasion or secular proclivities but that would not leave very many left to be friends with. Would it be wrong for a homosexual to want to be friends with you because you are different? Everyone can benefit from having a wholesome friend in their life as a Christian witness. Playing it safe is like the guy who hid the talent that was trusted to him by his master in fear of possibly displeasing him.
 
James
4
Whence come wars and whence come fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your pleasures that war in your members?

2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and covet, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war; ye have not, because ye ask not.
3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may spend it in your pleasures.
4 Ye adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? Whosoever therefore would be a friend of the world maketh himself an enemy of God.
5 Or think ye that the scripture speaketh in vain? Doth the spirit which he made to dwell in us long unto envying?
6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore the scripture saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace to the humble.
7 Be subject therefore unto God; but resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye doubleminded.
 
Can you be friends with a drug user? Someone that sleeps around? That cheats on their spouse? That cusses? Pick a sin, any sin, and ask yourself if it's ok to be friends with a sinner. If not you're never going to have friends, because we all struggle with sin. Wisdom says you should spend more time around Christians, but having unsaved friends isn't wrong. It doesn't matter what their sin. And homosexuality is just another sin. No reason to treat it differently.
As long as a person doesn't bring you or your spiritual walk down there's no reason not to be friends with them, just, as i said, in balance to keeping a stronger influence and time with Christians friends. Too much time around non-Christian friends (regardless of their specific sin issues) can lead to you being too influenced by the world.

Every human being is a sinner, so that means it is OK to be friends with a sinner. :cool:
 
I can´t answer for another person, but me:

a) As far as I know, I don´t have any. However, I have enjoyed sharing with lesbians (because the are women)

b) Friendship comes after things "shared in common" so, I don´t have similarities with those I haven´t met, as friends.

c) The enviroment, the social enviroment they like, in general, is not the one I would feel confortable so, I´m not prone to pick on those I won´t cope with.

50
 
Every human being is a sinner, so that means it is OK to be friends with a sinner. :cool:

Perhaps I´m picky!

If I see a woman is married, if I see she tries her games... I know I won´t be her friend and, if I saw a man is a cheater, one who loves to lie or hurt... I don´t like that company.
 
Here's an even more interesting question: Was it ok for Christians to be friends with me when I was unsaved years ago? Praise be to God Almighty that when I was walking in darkness and was a partaker of numerous sins, that a young Christian woman befriended me and showed me Christ Jesus. I thank God that she didn't avoid me even though I was worldly and spiritually blind.

This. People are still people no matter what their struggle is. It doesn't mean you support their lifestyle, but I think you have to meet people where they're at rather than refuse to be friends with them. What good does that do?
 
I don't know.
Is it okay to be friends with straight christians who are prone to occasional lustful thoughts toward opposite-gendered people they do not intend to marry on the spot?

Oh wait...

:rolleyes:

I have being friends with those you probably thought about, as long as they were NOT engaged or married.

In fact, those who were my Ex (in the after time) had been friends who accepted me to flirt or to be engaged on.

So, this sinner likes occasional friendships with opposite-gendered ppl.

When I knew my beliefs, etc., were too quite different than them, I fled. But, I´m sure that YOU now know everyone HAS lustful thoughts, even when being too old.
 
Most of my thoughts were captured by everyone very well. Jesus broke bread and shared time with sinners, thieves, drug addicts, and prostitutes. Everyone IS a sinner and while some sins are easily seen most are hidden. We all have broke bread and shared time with sinners, thieves, drug addicts, and prostitutes whether we know it or not.

I have aver a few friends who are gay, I have one family member who is gay, and I spend time with them. Will I go to a gay bar with them or a gay rally of course not. I try to be a strong witness to them and pray to be able to "meet them where they are" so I can continue to be a witness. When asked direct questions about their lifestyle I always answer honestly but gently and kindly so they can hopefully hear what I am saying. Theses friendships are based on truth and they know and respect my values and accept my sins as well.

Just my thoughts. Also, I have never been hit on by one of my gay friends but have been offered drugs ....go figure.
 
Hmm... this is a touchy subject that I'm sure I'll get flack over but I used to also think that all sin is the same and homosexuals are no different. However, I have come to realize that this is not necessarily Biblical. Sure, one sin is considered imperfection and worthy of eternal separation from God but that doesn't automatically mean that all sin is seen as equal to God. In the OT, God had different punishments for different things. For some things, it was very minor, while for others, it was death. And as most of you know, the punishment for homosexuality was death. So there were definitely different tones God took with various sins.

Now, in today's society we have been taught that people are just born that way. However, this argument doesn't make sense to me for many reasons. I could argue that I was born a murderer, a thief, a liar, an adulterer, an idolater, etc, but that does not mean I simply have to accept that and give into my sinful flesh. And what's more, the way the Bible describes homosexuality is as a state of moral depravity as a result of the rejection of Christ. One example of this is Romans 1:25-28:

"Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;"

So I am starting to believe that many of them are actually in a state of being given up. Now, before you get all angry, we must realize that God will judge people and send them to hell eventually. So either way, there does come a time when he gives up on people (which is usually upon death). I realize this is not a popular teaching today because it is uncomfortable (especially to homos) but I am starting to see an interesting phenomenon of homosexuals infiltrating the churches and subverting the message to be that of total love and acceptance.

In my experience, every homosexual that I've talked to already heard the gospel and refused it. In fact, most of them HATE the God of the Bible. If they do accept a god or christ, it is a false one who accepts them and their sin. Well I'm sorry but that is not Biblical. If you want to be religious, that's fine, but as true Christians, we must follow God's word over man's.

The Bible also describes them as implacable. Implacable means someone who is never satisfied. And the Bible gives examples of these people gradually becoming more and more demanding and depraved to the point of raping innocent people to death (in the book of Judges) and of course the famous Sodom and Gomorrah situation. So it is a very serious sin and not something to take lightly.

Now am I saying that everyone who has had homosexual tendencies is this way? Of course not. I think many, especially younger people, are just confused by our filthy culture of promoting homosexuals and they may have characteristics of the opposite gender and have been told by others that they are probably gay so they start to believe it. But regardless, I have heard of homosexuals that have been saved and started a new life fighting those old ways and eventually found a proper husband or wife and became completely satisfied.

So with that said, I do not believe we should be out there like Westboro baptists with signs that say, "God hates fags" and instigating them. Nor do I think we should treat them poorly. However, I don't think we should just pretend that they are completely normal. And any sort of friendship needs to be limited.

So what about other non-Christians? Well... I have found the more I grow with Christ, the less I can handle hanging around non-Christians. I know some of you like to give the example that Jesus was around sinners but He did not join in their behavior in any way. He was only around them to heal them and teach them to repent (change). And Paul talks about "being all things to all men for the sake of the gospel" but he also warned:

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" - 2 Corinthians 6:14

So in summary, if you are being friendly because you think that they may be saved, that is fine. But if you are close friends and totally cool with their lifestyle and they are influencing your life, then that is not OK.