Is it Wrong to go to Synagogue?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I only have what the scriptures say. I don't deviate from that. If you want to, well that's up to you. I quoted scripture, and you say I judge, if quoting scripture to you is me judging well so be it. That's your problem with scripture. Have a nice day, there is no need to refute what I just said because I know that's what you will do. We disagree totally. We can part ways on peace. Thank you good bye.
You ARE deviating from scripture, that is my point. You are telling the world you have a right to judge and you don't have that right.

Scripture tells you that it is not up to you to decide on the judgment due to others, it is only the Lord who can do that. The Lord blinded the Jews to Christ, so in a way the Lord took Christ from them and it was done for our sakes, through love for us. You have judged all Jews, saying the Lord will not take pity on them and accept their plea for forgiveness through Him, as they are unable, through the Lord, to go to Christ. Perhaps you are right, and He still condemn them, but it is against scripture for you to put yourself up as the judge of whether their prayer is answered.

B

Blackpowderduelist

You ARE deviating from scripture, that is my point. You are telling the world you have a right to judge and you don't have that right.

Scripture tells you that it is not up to you to decide on the judgment due to others, it is only the Lord who can do that. The Lord blinded the Jews to Christ, so in a way the Lord took Christ from them and it was done for our sakes, through love for us. You have judged all Jews, saying the Lord will not take pity on them and accept their plea for forgiveness through Him, as they are unable, through the Lord, to go to Christ. Perhaps you are right, and He still condemn them, but it is against scripture for you to put yourself up as the judge of whether their prayer is answered.
No man comes to the father except through Christ. This is scripture. Jews come to the father the same as any one else, through Christ. If they reject Christ they have no way to the father just like anyone else. There are many jews who became Christian, they aren't kept from God or from Jesus. God desires all to be saved keep and gentiles alike that is accomplished by Jesus sacrifice on the cross, his life, death, burial, and resurrection. There is no other sacrifice or atonement, and this atonement is once and for all. All means all. There were Jews who were Christians even in the book of acts. The book of Hebrews is a letter written to Christians who were Jews. You are coming off the wall with weird stuff. Dispensationalism has taught some weird stuff that has crept into the church universally.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
So... what's the point? We know what they believe, they know what we believe. It's two very different things so we have no animus, but we have no fellowship. So why bother?
Actually most Christians don't know what Jews believe or what the various practices are.
I find the level of ignorance astounding.

To see the cup for Elijah...the hiding and finding of bread. There's a bunch of stuff that all points towards Christ.
It's respect... understanding and friendliness.

Just don't bother to proselytize them collectively..that won't work out well for obvious reasons.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The children of Israel, while they were in the wilderness, were disobedient, and by their disobedience salvation was gained by the nations. If God made them disobedient, He will certainly justify them be it His will.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I could see attending a synagogue once to get a sense of the culture. I could see attending to get to know people with the aim of evangelizing them. I could even see attending to understand the modern Jewish culture with an eye to evangelizing Jews.

I see absolutely no benefit for getting to know God or Scripture better, or for understanding how to be a better Christian. As Isaiah said, why seek the dead on behalf of the living?

E

eternally-gratefull

No man comes to the father except through Christ. This is scripture. Jews come to the father the same as any one else, through Christ. If they reject Christ they have no way to the father just like anyone else. There are many jews who became Christian, they aren't kept from God or from Jesus. God desires all to be saved keep and gentiles alike that is accomplished by Jesus sacrifice on the cross, his life, death, burial, and resurrection. There is no other sacrifice or atonement, and this atonement is once and for all. All means all. There were Jews who were Christians even in the book of acts. The book of Hebrews is a letter written to Christians who were Jews. You are coming off the wall with weird stuff. Dispensationalism has taught some weird stuff that has crept into the church universally.
This has nothing to do with dispensationalism.

E

eternally-gratefull

The children of Israel, while they were in the wilderness, were disobedient, and by their disobedience salvation was gained by the nations. If God made them disobedient, He will certainly justify them be it His will.
So God made them disobedient?

Where does this come from?

B

Blackpowderduelist

I don't think God made them disobedient, and I know you said if there, and if, has meaning. He did however test them.
They have the same path to salvation as any other human. His name is Jesus.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
God justifies the ungodly. The Bible says, “to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness” (Romans 4:5). Salvation is all of grace, meaning that it is free, gratis; it costs you nothing. That does not mean it is cheap because it cost God His Son.

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
Actually most Christians don't know what Jews believe or what the various practices are.
I find the level of ignorance astounding.

To see the cup for Elijah...the hiding and finding of bread. There's a bunch of stuff that all points towards Christ.
It's respect... understanding and friendliness.

Just don't bother to proselytize them collectively..that won't work out well for obvious reasons.

They think that it will be as simple as showing them that we are saved by innocent blood and the Jews are going to bring up Exodus(Shemot) 23:7 https://biblehub.com/interlinear/exodus/23.htm . Or if they think it will be as simple as telling the Jews about the blood the Jews will show them Numbers(Bambidbar) 35:33 https://biblehub.com/interlinear/numbers/35.htm and tell them that blood corrupts their land instead of healing it. They don't actually know how the Jews believe or will counter what they say and without knowing how they believe they will do more harm than good.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Any place of worship that does not believe Christ is the Lord and the giver of physical and spiritual life is dead. There are many churches that fit into this category.

S

Scribe

The first Christians had no wish to break with Judaism, they worshipped the Lord together with the Jews in synagogue.
What I read is that Paul taught in synagogues that Jesus was the Christ until they kicked him out and then those that had believed what he taught followed him and they established the church in that area. That church did not meet in synagogue because by the time they were established the synagogue had banned them from attendance.

Jan 21, 2021
I pray that comes a time where the synagogues accept Jesus

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I see absolutely no benefit for getting to know God or Scripture better, or for understanding how to be a better Christian. As Isaiah said, why seek the dead on behalf of the living?
I posted this thread in order to see if it could be accepted that the Lord loves us all, including the Jews. The Jews are the ones God gave a special job to do and blesses them for it. They have much in common with us, even Christ in common but it is the Christ of the old testament. God wants us to be one people, God would not want us to be one with people who are dead.

I have read all these posts, most judge the Jews without any thought to giving over the judgement of them to God. It seems to me that we are asked to understand them. Certainly we are not to accept their way of denying Christ, but God loves them. We are to love them also, as we follow God. How can we love a people that we condemn as dead, as a people who deny God? Shouldn't we get to understand them? To love someone does not require agreeing with them, it does require accepting them.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I posted this thread in order to see if it could be accepted that the Lord loves us all, including the Jews.
That isn't being honest. If you want "to see if it can be accepted that the Lord loves us all including the Jews" then ask exactly that question. Don't come at it sideways and expect to get the answer you hope for. The Jews take a contrary view to the gospel of Jesus Christ, as do Moslems, Hindus, and followers of other religions. Does God love all humans? Scripture tells us that He does. Does He want us to show love to them? Yes; by sharing the gospel with them.

The Jews are the ones God gave a special job to do and blesses them for it.
No; He blessed them for it; past tense, not present tense. They failed and God ended their mandate.

They have much in common with us, even Christ in common but it is the Christ of the old testament. God wants us to be one people, God would not want us to be one with people who are dead.
Yes, God does want us to be one people, but we don't get there by joining with Jews. Rather, we get there by them joining with us. Don't get that backwards! We are grafted in to the true Vine. They can be grafted in too, but most refuse.

I have read all these posts, most judge the Jews without any thought to giving over the judgement of them to God.
I don't think you understand the issues clearly. People who consciously reject Jesus stand condemned by His words, not by ours. Declaring the judgment that God has already decreed is not "judging". If I call a duly convicted thief a "thief", I'm not judging.

It seems to me that we are asked to understand them.
Really? Where is that in Scripture? Where does it say that Christians are to "understand" Christ-rejecting Jews? Don't make things up and claim they are God's teaching from the Bible.

Certainly we are not to accept their way of denying Christ, but God loves them. We are to love them also, as we follow God. How can we love a people that we condemn as dead, as a people who deny God? Shouldn't we get to understand them? To love someone does not require agreeing with them, it does require accepting them.
We love them by telling them that they are dead in their sins, and that the ONLY way to God is through Jesus Christ. That is not condemning them; it is merely repeating the truth that they are already condemned, as the Scripture says they are. Please try to understand the difference.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
That isn't being honest. If you want "to see if it can be accepted that the Lord loves us all including the Jews" then ask exactly that question. Don't come at it sideways and expect to get the answer you hope for. The Jews take a contrary view to the gospel of Jesus Christ, as do Moslems, Hindus, and followers of other religions. Does God love all humans? Scripture tells us that He does. Does He want us to show love to them? Yes; by sharing the gospel with them.

No; He blessed them for it; past tense, not present tense. They failed and God ended their mandate.

Yes, God does want us to be one people, but we don't get there by joining with Jews. Rather, we get there by them joining with us. Don't get that backwards! We are grafted in to the true Vine. They can be grafted in too, but most refuse.

I don't think you understand the issues clearly. People who consciously reject Jesus stand condemned by His words, not by ours. Declaring the judgment that God has already decreed is not "judging". If I call a duly convicted thief a "thief", I'm not judging.

Really? Where is that in Scripture? Where does it say that Christians are to "understand" Christ-rejecting Jews? Don't make things up and claim they are God's teaching from the Bible.

We love them by telling them that they are dead in their sins, and that the ONLY way to God is through Jesus Christ. That is not condemning them; it is merely repeating the truth that they are already condemned, as the Scripture says they are. Please try to understand the difference.
You speak of joining the Jews, I speak of understanding the Jews and accepting them as they are. To understand and accept them does not require joining them.

You go to great lengths to explain how your judgment of them is not really a judgment. You seem to think that scripture tells you they are condemned to death, but scripture does not say that. They are asking forgiveness through what they know of Christ, the old testament Christ because God blinded hem for our sakes. It is not up to you to decide for the Lord whether, in his compassion and kindness, God answers their prayers with a yes, you have decided for God He says no to them. That is judging. It is to God alone to say yes or not.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
When a Jewish person who rejects Christ dies, where do they go?

I posted this thread in order to see if it could be accepted that the Lord loves us all, including the Jews. The Jews are the ones God gave a special job to do and blesses them for it. They have much in common with us, even Christ in common but it is the Christ of the old testament. God wants us to be one people, God would not want us to be one with people who are dead.

I have read all these posts, most judge the Jews without any thought to giving over the judgement of them to God. It seems to me that we are asked to understand them. Certainly we are not to accept their way of denying Christ, but God loves them. We are to love them also, as we follow God. How can we love a people that we condemn as dead, as a people who deny God? Shouldn't we get to understand them? To love someone does not require agreeing with them, it does require accepting them.

E

eternally-gratefull

You speak of joining the Jews, I speak of understanding the Jews and accepting them as they are. To understand and accept them does not require joining them.

You go to great lengths to explain how your judgment of them is not really a judgment. You seem to think that scripture tells you they are condemned to death, but scripture does not say that. They are asking forgiveness through what they know of Christ, the old testament Christ because God blinded hem for our sakes. It is not up to you to decide for the Lord whether, in his compassion and kindness, God answers their prayers with a yes, you have decided for God He says no to them. That is judging. It is to God alone to say yes or not.
It is not us who judge them it is God

it is also God who tells them to love them because of the promises but hate them concerning the gospel. Because according to the gospel they are the enemy of God.

you want to join them in their gospel, as you have been prone to say since you first got here, it’s no secret you are Jewish roots, but even now you go further and want to join them where Jesus will not even be taught, where he is not believed in, where he is spit on and mocked.

that’s sad my friend

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
My goodness, Blik, YOU brought up the idea that God wants us all to be one people. That requires someone joining with someone else, doesn't it?

You seem to think that scripture tells you they are condemned to death, but scripture does not say that.
I "seem to think" that's what Scripture says, because that is what it says.

John 3:17-18 "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. "

Oct 19, 2020
I think if we really want to get a deeper look at the Old Testament from the [Language] it was written in. The Jews explaining the Tanakh is a valuable choice to make. To ask their views on Yeshua and the New Covenant, is good for conversation. For me, the Old Testament is Jesus Christ. Every time God was in [person form] dealing with Abraham, Joshua, Moses, Jacob, Adam/Eve and so forth it "was/is" the WORD. Even as a Burning Bush calling Himself Elohim and I AM to Moses, He was/is the WORD. Even though the Jews do not look at the WORD here in the Old Testament as Yeshua/Jesus, they still can explain what is happening in the Hebrew Language from passed down word of mouth tradition. We can then apply that as it was the WORD who would eventually be made flesh as our Sacrifice and being the God who also dealt with humanity in the Old Testament. The Bible as a true [lineage] account also is the Story of the WORD from Creation to End.