Is masturbation a sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
I'd say yes since it's very unhealthy.

God bless
Unhealthy?

Unless you're masturbating to an audience. The following scripture say NO prosecutable sin has been committed.

Deuteronomy 19:15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.

Other supporting verses:

Matthew 18:16, 2 Corinthians 13:1, John 8:17, 1 Timothy 5:19, Hebrews 10:28, Numbers 35:30

Placid

Sep 27, 2016
Hi Dpecheur,

Still waiting to hear from you, but I wanted to explain something further.
I had mentioned that some Philosopher said, “We all need three things, something to do, someone to love, and something to hope for.”

In our society love has different meanings, so let’s see what the Scriptures say;
In Matthew 22 Jesus was questioned.
35 Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”
37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’
40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

So our first love is to be to God which is our vertical relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
And the second is the horizontal relationship with neighbors friends and family. --- As Christians who love God first, the incentive is there to show love to others.

We can keep the Ten Commandments. --- The first four relate to our worship and honor of God, Not using His name lightly, or in vain, and keeping a Sabbath as a holy day, set aside for rest and worship.
Fifth --- if you love your parents you will respect and obey them.
Sixth --- If you love your neighbors you will not kill him, (either with weapons or words).
Seventh --- If you love your neighbors you will not commit adultery with, or against, them.
Eighth --- If you love your neighbors you will not steal from them.
Ninth --- If you love your neighbors you will not lie to them or about them.
Tenth --- If you love your neighbors you will not be envious or desirous of what they have.

In the chapter on love, 1 Corinthians 13, it stars with this verse:
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.

In the Amplified Bible it describes the full meaning of the Greek word, love
1 If I [can] speak in the tongues of men and [even] of angels, but have not love (that reasoning, intentional, spiritual devotion such as is inspired by God’s love for and in us), I am only a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

If we are in right relationship with God, then the love we share with others is what God inspires in us, so we become the vessels of His love to actually share God’s love with others.
The last verse of the chapter says, “Now abides faith, hope, love, these three, but the greatest of these is love.”
So our ‘job’ is to keep active in our faith regardless of our work or employment, as we look forward with hope --- all the time we are to show our love for others.

Notice that none of these references are to sensual love.
What we see in the world today is the result of what Satan has done with the beauty of love,

Apr 22, 2018
Hi Dpecheur,

I have been waiting for your response, --- to find out how you were doing.

This is a truth that we need to consider,
“God is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.” 2 Peter 3:9. --- So it is not God’s will that any of us should perish or be lost, but His will is that all should be saved. --- And our salvation comes through our repentance before Him. Each one of us must repent or we cannot be saved.

While it is God’s will that all should be saved, it is up to us whether we want to take the steps that lead to salvation. --- While the invitation is open to all, we know that not many are saved. --- Isn’t that tragic?

But the way to salvation is through repentance. To start a new life with God. --- ‘Whosoever will may come,’ but ‘whosoever won’t come to God in repentance’ will continue in their lost state.
--- I am looking forward to knowing how you are so we can go on with some positive options.

hello placid
i really appreciate your interest in checking in on me. Truthfully im not feeling well. something good has happened recently in that i just got a new part-time job after a prolonged period of unemployment since quitting teaching profession. its not gonna be enough to completely get me out of this hole nor provide a clear direction for my future, but it's better than nothing.
however i feel extremely depressed and lonely.
i feel like my brain has been permanently ruined. like it has been sapped of its vital energy, drained of creativity, electric force, ability to feel stimulated or excited or motivated. it's never been this dire before. i am BEGGING God every day for help. for restoration. for resources or signals of what to do. im not able to enjoy anything. i cant write, which is my one passion. i need to create and i cant because i feel so dead inside. nothing flows out anymore. even writing this response to you required more effort than it wouldve before. im rotting away. stagnant. and im 34 yrs old and im an abysmal failure. im so alone. i have wanted love and companionship but fear it will never come to me. that my life has fallen apart too much and perhaps i'll never figure out how to make it in this world
O Lord i offer myself completely. i feel damaged and incomplete and reduced to a wretched remnant of what i once was. my heart and brain r so screwed up. PLEASE LORD THERE MUST BE A WAY OUT. LORD THIS CANT BE THE LIFE YOU WANT FOR ME. TAKE ME. TAKE ME WHEREVER U WISH. THIS CANT BE LIFE. IT'S WASTING BEFORE ME.
i dont know. i dont know. i need a church and community but no sense of where to go what to do. Lord instill n me a sense of purpose.
I WANT TO LIVE ABUNDANTLY IN ACCORDANCE WITH YOUR WILL.
i need a miracle.

Placid

Sep 27, 2016
Hi Dpecheur,

Thanks for your response, and congratulations on your job. And ‘part time’ might be okay for now because you may want to do other things.
You definitely do have writing skills in the way you put words together and express yourself, your deep emotions. --- And some of your writing might be poetry, is that right? --- I think that because your verse from ‘The Night,” which perhaps depicted your feeling of low self esteem.

The Gospel singer Bill Gaither wrote this simple song some time ago:
“We have this moment to hold in our hand
Before it slips through our fingers like sand,
Yesterday’s gone and tomorrow may never come,
But we have this moment today."

--- We need to remind ourselves that ‘each day is the first day of the rest of our lives.’ You need friends, and because your first post caught my attention, I will be a friend. Try and develop a positive attitude as you go to work. --- Try looking in the mirror and seeing if your smile still works.

Now to suggest some thing else to do, as you start a new day. You are already praying, so you need to read some Scripture, perhaps start in the Book of Luke. This is the beginning of the Gospel, starting with John the Baptist and Jesus. As you read through you may fall in love with Jesus, so think of identifying with Him.

You need an expression for your writing, so think about this. --- Christianchat is very accommodating, so simply start a topic with your writing. Not dwelling on the negative, though you may express it, --- but perhaps on daily things that others can relate to, even your job. --- You may find some ‘friends’ who read and share with you. It might have a simple title like, “How is your day?” --- or “How do we express our feelings?” You will find an appropriate title as you think of what you will write. --- Short stories, poems, hopes and dreams. --- You could make a daily post. --- After you get started you can respond to readers’ comments and input. --- (It will keep you busy.)

I have other suggestions as well, but enough for now.
Have a good day.

Apr 22, 2018
Hi Dpecheur,

Thanks for your response, and congratulations on your job. And ‘part time’ might be okay for now because you may want to do other things.
You definitely do have writing skills in the way you put words together and express yourself, your deep emotions. --- And some of your writing might be poetry, is that right? --- I think that because your verse from ‘The Night,” which perhaps depicted your feeling of low self esteem.

The Gospel singer Bill Gaither wrote this simple song some time ago:
“We have this moment to hold in our hand
Before it slips through our fingers like sand,
Yesterday’s gone and tomorrow may never come,
But we have this moment today."

--- We need to remind ourselves that ‘each day is the first day of the rest of our lives.’ You need friends, and because your first post caught my attention, I will be a friend. Try and develop a positive attitude as you go to work. --- Try looking in the mirror and seeing if your smile still works.

Now to suggest some thing else to do, as you start a new day. You are already praying, so you need to read some Scripture, perhaps start in the Book of Luke. This is the beginning of the Gospel, starting with John the Baptist and Jesus. As you read through you may fall in love with Jesus, so think of identifying with Him.

You need an expression for your writing, so think about this. --- Christianchat is very accommodating, so simply start a topic with your writing. Not dwelling on the negative, though you may express it, --- but perhaps on daily things that others can relate to, even your job. --- You may find some ‘friends’ who read and share with you. It might have a simple title like, “How is your day?” --- or “How do we express our feelings?” You will find an appropriate title as you think of what you will write. --- Short stories, poems, hopes and dreams. --- You could make a daily post. --- After you get started you can respond to readers’ comments and input. --- (It will keep you busy.)

I have other suggestions as well, but enough for now.
Have a good day.
Thank you very much Placid. I cannot express how greatly I appreciate the fact that you have reached out to me and the thought you put into trying to help me with concrete suggestions for things I could start doing to shake off the gloomy excess of negativity and grow in my faith and the security of Christ’s love.
I am not able to write an extensive response right now, but I do like these ideas of yours and I think I will start reading Luke asap. I have read much of the Bible, including the Book of Matthew in addition to large portions of the other Gospels, the Epistles of Paul and a good portion of the OT.
Thanks again. It means a lot. I look forward to hearing your other suggestions at some point.
God bless.

Placid

Sep 27, 2016
Hi Dpecheur,

Thanks for your encouraging response. I hope you enjoy reading the Scriptures. We have some favorites, and I like to read the uplifting verses.
--- A favourite book of mine is James, the half brother of Jesus, who became the Pastor of the first Church in Jerusalem that started on the Day of Pentecost in Acts 2, when some 3000 were saved.

James addresses it to Christian Jews from the tribes who were scattered from Jerusalem, and needed encouragement.
James 1:1 James, a bondservant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad: Greetings.
2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,
3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.
4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.
7 For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord;
8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

Verse 2, 3, and 4 are a process. Count it all joy when you fall into trials and temptations, because the testing of your faith produces patience, and patience is the process that when you endure, you are strengthen and grow into perfection, or maturity, and become complete in your reliance on the Lord.

I have another suggestion for a new outlook, as we try to grow away from old habits and negative thinking.
While we know that the world and the Television give us all the images that they use in advertising and programming, we see that a lot of it is sensual, in that they use beautiful women to display products and try to lure consumers.
Us unsuspecting men are often lured into looking at the girl’s anatomy and it follows us to looking at women on the street or where we work.

Jesus said in Luke 11:34 ”The light of the body is the eye: therefore when your eye is single (good, clear, healthy) your whole body also is full of light; but when your eye is evil (bad or unhealthy), your body also is full of darkness.”

So here is the challenge, first look into your own eyes in the mirror, because that it what others see in you. --- Now start looking people in the eye. Don’t concentrate on their person when you are close to them, but look them in the eye.
--- When we look at ourselves in the mirror, we have to assess what we look like and how we appear to others. I like a clean shaven face, myself, --- however it is good to present ourselves as clean, neat, and perhaps with a smile.

So, give it a try, look people in the eye when you talk to them, or when you pass them on the sidewalk. Blessings

Placid

Sep 27, 2016
Hi Dpecheur,

Though we haven’t heard from you, I hope all is going well.

Part of the reason for the suggestion in the last post, to “Look people in the eye” was in preparation for this last suggestion. --- By changing habits we need to change direction and go different ways. This suggestion is to help you get back in relationships.
--- Being alone and lonely can be remedied by companionship, someone to talk to, simple ‘friend’ relationships.

If you have a coffee shop within walking distance, perhaps one you haven’t been to, but where people meet and talk, you could go there three or four times just to observe the people and perhaps you will see some of the same ones there at the same time each day. --- You start by being pleasant to the servers, and as the occasion arises you start saying hello to others, both fellows and girls, --- The saying goes ‘if you want to have friends, show yourself friendly.’

If someone is interested in talking, just say that you need someone to talk to. If you are both having a coffee and donut, or whatever, you are not robbing anyone of their time.

--- You can talk about the weather, your jobs, things of mutual interest. Don’t ‘tell all’ or reveal secrets, --- and be a good listener if they want to talk.
--- After a while you may find others who are lonely as well who are willing to share with you.
Hopefully, after they know (and girls especially) that you are not looking for anything more than friendship, they may be more open.

Sorry if I have sounded like an overbearing parent or teacher by making such suggestions, but it is in the effort of getting you ‘out of yourself’ and back into communication with others.
--- This also can be a long process, but if it helps you to be outgoing, it will help you in your relationship at work, with you boss, and perhaps even with your parents.

T

theanointedsinner

in response to the thread title

before we look into this, let's look at what is not sin

not sin
- scratching your head, face, ear because your head, face, ear itches is not sin
- use soap and water for washing is not sin
- when someone adjust their hair, the act of adjusting their hair is not sin
- stretching your muscle is not sin
- exercising is not sin

I think nothing damage spiritually more than doubt and inward debate, on whether it's sin or not

so no, I don't think that masturbation is a sin (in my opinion), people are just making a big deal out of nothing

my opinion, masturbation is not sin

Jul 26, 2018
Mat 5:30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.

T

theanointedsinner

Mat 5:30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.
people can gouge their eyes and chop off their hands for the bad intentions of ...
... abusing welfare

hence, motives

Jul 26, 2018
Mat 5:27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’
Mat 5:28 But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Mat 5:29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell.

Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,
Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,
Gal 5:21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Apr 15, 2017
When a man and a woman is married fornication is only permitted for them, and not in any other situation.

Sex is something that is to be shared in marriage, and not legal alone.

I do not believe that masturbation is right, for I believe that God means sex to be only valid between a husband and wife, and not to do alone with oneself, for I do not believe God meant it that way, and that it is not legal to Him.

It is like not hired in to a company, not part of it, but showing up and working with them thinking you are hired in, and then expecting to get paid when you are not a part of that company.

If you are in to masturbation then you are not part of the team of marriage, and if married you still are not part of the team at that time, but then expect to get paid by way of sexual gratification.

There is no love involved when doing it solo, and I believe God means fornication to be done between a man and a woman where love is involved. There is no love involved in doing it solo, and anything that is not love is sin.

And not even right if you are married, and do it alone, for I do not think it is meant to be that way, that doing it alone is not legal for it is supposed to be done with a spouse.

And doing it solo, even when married, then falls under the category of lust, and falls under the category of lust no matter how people try to look at it, or explain it.

Looking at porn is wrong, for if we think sin it is the same as doing the sin, for however a person thinks that is how they are, and lusting after other people while married is adultery.

Like a man and a man is not supposed to be together, a man and his hand is not supposed to be together.

We do not marry our hand or an object to be legal to do it solo, but we only marry the opposite sex for it to be legal.

That is the way it seems to me that only a man and a woman married it is legal to have sex, and in no other situation, not even solo, for it was not meant to be done by oneself, but only a benefit for the married, not a benefit any other way.

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
Mat 5:27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’
Mat 5:28 But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Mat 5:29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell.

Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,
Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,
Gal 5:21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
I wonder if Jesus was serious about cutting off you hand.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017

The masterbation passage!
Good grief!

If every Christian that at some point has masturbated, cut of their hand. Come Sunday praise, we would have a Church full of people waving & clapping their stumps together.

T

theanointedsinner

Good grief!

If every Christian that at some point has masturbated, cut of their hand. Come Sunday praise, we would have a Church full of people waving & clapping their stumps together.

CS1

May 23, 2012
GOD did give us sexual organs and sexual pleasure for the purpose of being shared with our mate not to be used in a sinful, deviant or abusive, excessive ways.
not to be shared with your mate but your Husband . anyone can be a mate .

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
Good grief!

And Jesus said it !

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
And Jesus said it !
1st, The context of Matt 5:30 begins in verse 27. It's adultery not masturbation!

2ndly, Unless you're masturbating to an audience. The following scripture say's: NO prosecutable sin has been committed.

Deuteronomy 19:15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.

Other supporting verses:

Matthew 18:16, 2 Corinthians 13:1, John 8:17, 1 Timothy 5:19, Hebrews 10:28, Numbers 35:30