Is Repentance necessary for salvation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Repentance requires work. Many believe work has no value because it is faith that God bases forgiveness on.

Repentance requires knowing the law, we could not repent of sins we know nothing about, yet many believe the law is cancelled.

How can these things be reconciled?

L

Live4Him

Repentance requires work. Many believe work has no value because it is faith that God bases forgiveness on.

Repentance requires knowing the law, we could not repent of sins we know nothing about, yet many believe the law is cancelled.

Repentance PRECEDES faith in the foundational principles of the doctrine of Christ:

Hebrews chapter 6

[1] Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
[2] Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Although the law does bring the knowledge of sin (Rom. 3:20, 7:7), it is not the only means that God uses to do so. In other words, our God-given consciences can also do the same.

Romans chapter 2

[12] For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
[13] (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
[14] For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
[15] Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another)
[16] In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

As far as the law being cancelled is concerned, I'll remind everyone of the words of Paul:

I Timothy chapter 1

[8] But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
[9] Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
[10] For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
[11] According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Many believe work has no value because it is faith that God bases forgiveness on.

These false charges you continually make can be reconciled by honestly presenting what others believe.

B

Blackpowderduelist

Repentance is not something we do. It is something God gives us and works in us.

John146

Jan 13, 2016

Repentance is a change of mind, an internal turn to God‘s way which is Jesus Christ. Once you’ve made that turn, you need to place your faith in God’s way, Jesus Christ.

Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016

Repentance comes as you are brought to the knowledge of sin in your life. It is once you come to the understanding that we are sinners and in need of a Savior, we repent or acknowledge or sin and acknowledge our need for Jesus. At this point, the individual gives his/her life to Jesus. Repentance is necessary for salvation.

Continual repentance is also necessary but in itself after conversion isn't linked to salvation but our relationship with God.

Of course, if the believer gets lazy or stagnant in faith, they can be prone to let sin go without repentance. This if not addressed will begin to grieve the Holy Spirit. If this inner struggle usually coupled with doubts or ignorance go on too long, it can begin to muffle the Spirit or Word of God. They begin to hear the voice of knowledge, Satan, and his forces. This is giving Satan the foothold he wants.

If the believer chooses to walk away from Christ due to unrepentant sin that has dragged them down into darkness, they may become an apostate to the faith.

A hardened heart or depravity of mind may begin. Sometimes God allows this so that the individual may fully see the results of sin, and it is sometimes like the prodigal son where God can lead people back into saving faith.

Faith is the only thing required. And no faith is not a work. It is not something you must do but rather submit or give up your will. We are essentially choosing to become bondservants for Christ. Actually giving up free will. But it is our daily decision to who's will, will we submit to. Ours or Gods?

Mar 4, 2020

Well, "the law" was part of the old covenant with Israel. I'm not Jewish so I don't know the law. They gained sins by breaking the law because they were under the law.

They used animal sacrifices for sins. If you sinned after your animal sacrifice there was no longer a sacrifice for that newly committed sin until the next year.

Keeping the law is rigorous work that requires commitment, a lot of work, and high stakes.

When Jesus died for the once and for all sacrifice for the permanent forgiveness of sins it was really Good News. Maybe it's hard to see how good this news is sometimes if we've never been in bondage to the Law for our entire lives generation after generation.

Nevertheless, repentance is changing your mind. When we change our mind to putting our faith in what Christ did for the world we are changing our mind. If we truly change our mind we'll change our behavior. God will recognize our genuine faith and put His Spirit in us. He'll make us new, sanctify us, and forgive our sins permanently.

In the end you're either judge by your sins or judged by Christ's sacrifice. Which one do you want?

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

What do you mean by ' repent of sins ' ,which verse ?

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Many confuse folks by saying " you need to turn from all your sins " ," stop sinning " in order to be saved ect . Ray comfort hasn't helped in this area sadly.

The other group will confuse the matter by saying were only saved at the end . Or that only our past sins were forgiven at conversion .
Most of those that preach conditional salvation fall into one if not both of these types of error .
Of course we equally have the problem with Lordship / calvinism / Arminianism which preaches a confusion about if your really really really really saved then you will .....fill in the blank .

CS1

May 23, 2012

how is repentance at work? is it not the Holy Spirit who creates a godly sorrow so one can see their need for Christ? Is not repentance a response to the Gospel message being preached and the person surrender to God and accepts Jesus as Lord and Savior?

What work?

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

Are only our past sins forgiven at conversion?

L

Live4Him

Repentance is a lot more than just changing one's mind.

As Paul rightly noted:

II Corinthians chapter 7

[8] For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season.
[9] Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
[10] For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
[11] For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

True Biblical repentance results in "carefulness" (not to commit the same sin again), a "clearing of ourselves" (by no longer being guilty of the sin), "indignation" (against the sin we had been committing), "fear" (not to commit the same sin again and possibly face judgment), "vehement desire" or "zeal" (to do what's right), and "revenge" (against our previous disobedience).

That's a lot more than just changing one's mind.

Biblically speaking, we must not only repent, but also bring forth fruits worthy of repentance:

Acts chapter 26

[12] Whereupon as I went to Damascus with authority and commission from the chief priests,
[13] At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me.
[14] And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
[15] And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.
[16] But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;
[17] Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,
[18] To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
[19] Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision:
[20] But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Well, "the law" was part of the old covenant with Israel. I'm not Jewish so I don't know the law. They gained sins by breaking the law because they were under the law.

When Jesus died for the once and for all sacrifice for the permanent forgiveness of sins it was really Good News. Maybe it's hard to see how good this news is sometimes if we've never been in bondage to the Law for our entire lives generation after generation.
If you feel you can't be Indian, American or any other race than Jewish to know God's law, then you need to revamp your bible and take out a lot of it---anything pertaining to the law. The entire 119th Psalm would have to be ripped out!!!!!

If we are in bondage, then we are in bondage to sin. Just ask a person with an addiction to a drug. Being freed from sin frees us.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Repentance is a lot more than just changing one's mind.

As Paul rightly noted:

II Corinthians chapter 7

[8] For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season.
[9] Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
[10] For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
[11] For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

True Biblical repentance results in "carefulness" (not to commit the same sin again), a "clearing of ourselves" (by no longer being guilty of the sin), "indignation" (against the sin we had been committing), "fear" (not to commit the same sin again and possibly face judgment), "vehement desire" or "zeal" (to do what's right), and "revenge" (against our previous disobedience).

That's a lot more than just changing one's mind.

Biblically speaking, we must not only repent, but also bring forth fruits worthy of repentance:

Acts chapter 26

[12] Whereupon as I went to Damascus with authority and commission from the chief priests,
[13] At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me.
[14] And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
[15] And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.
[16] But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;
[17] Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,
[18] To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
[19] Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision:
[20] But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.
Wow!!

Mar 4, 2020
If you feel you can't be Indian, American or any other race than Jewish to know God's law, then you need to revamp your bible and take out a lot of it---anything pertaining to the law. The entire 119th Psalm would have to be ripped out!!!!!

If we are in bondage, then we are in bondage to sin. Just ask a person with an addiction to a drug. Being freed from sin frees us.
Sorry I wasn't trying to upset you. I was just responding with my genuine and sincere thoughts to the OP.

I don't want to explore the topic anymore. Be blessed.

Platosgal

Mar 17, 2020
Recognising you are a failure in running your life
Is the first step to repentance
We repent
When the spirit of truth opens our eyes
We repent
When we see the mess we made
And are pained by the consequences and desire change
We can only know God by admitting God ALONE is good
You do not need " the law" or some one to point it out
Even a childknows when he has
Done wrong
Repenting is acknowledging we have done wrong and desiring change

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

Can you support ANY of your assertions with Scripture or quotations from others?

E

eternally-gratefull

These false charges you continually make can be reconciled by honestly presenting what others believe.
Blk is still out falsly accusing others after all this time?

sad