Is the old testament obsolete?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 30, 2019
There are churches that claim to be Christian that practice this as well.
Matthew 7:22 uses the word MANY - I would have been alot more comfortable if Jesus used the word FEW. "21Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness!"

L

Locoponydirtman

Matthew 7:22 uses the word MANY - I would have been alot more comfortable if Jesus used the word FEW. "21Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness!"
Interestingly enough those same said churches place a lot of value on works, in fact I would go as far as to say they believe in a works based salvation.

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
What is the "witch law" that you're referring to there?
there is more then the 10 commandment laws in the BIBLE there is .
1. the 10 commandment laws
2 . the ceremonial laws
3 . the ceremonial Sabbaths laws
4. the feast day laws
5. the circumcision laws These & more LAWs Was the hand writing of Moses that was against , They were done away At theCROSS , BUT sure not the 10 commandment laws ,GOD BLESS as HE sees fit .

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
there is more then the 10 commandment laws in the BIBLE there is .
1. the 10 commandment laws
2 . the ceremonial laws
3 . the ceremonial Sabbaths laws
4. the feast day laws
5. the circumcision laws These & more LAWs Was the hand writing of Moses that was against , They were done away At theCROSS , BUT sure not the 10 commandment laws ,GOD BLESS as HE sees fit .
Yes, I am aware.
My question pertained to the witch law that was referred to. Unless it is a matter of confusion and what was meant was Mitzvah, or Mitzvot, to refer to the law, rather than witch. Perhaps a phonetic issue.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
"In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness." (Hebrews9:22) We have to be cleansed with the Blood of Jesus. We are the Temple of God
This is true since Adam and Eve. The symbolic blood of Jesus was required for salvation until He was crucified. It was not as the blood of animals given for salvation in that system, it was as the symbolic blood of Jesus, the blood of Jesus. Cain tried to use the fruit of his works for sacrifice and it was rejected.

Blood is required for salvation in the OT.

Lev. 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

Dec 30, 2019
This is true since Adam and Eve. The symbolic blood of Jesus was required for salvation until He was crucified.
This is a difficult part of the story to understand. They talk about fig leaf religion. People use to make clothing using the fiber from the fig tree. Only this was more like paper. Not very practical or durable. This was when they began to use the fur of animals for clothing to keep themselves warm. This was a lot more common when I was a kid. Today we have a lot of synthetic materials that we use. We do not use down or leather or the feathers of animals to keep warm anymore. People were able to move north up out of Africa because they could adapt to the colder climates,

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
This is a difficult part of the story to understand. They talk about fig leaf religion. People use to make clothing using the fiber from the fig tree. Only this was more like paper. Not very practical or durable. This was when they began to use the fur of animals for clothing to keep themselves warm. This was a lot more common when I was a kid. Today we have a lot of synthetic materials that we use. We do not use down or leather or the feathers of animals to keep warm anymore. People were able to move north up out of Africa because they could adapt to the colder climates,
This would be relevant if God was a man and did not live in a spiritual realm that is eternal but changed with the times.

You need to google a man named Marcion, he wrote a book dated 144 saying that the bible as it was then should be changed. He believed that Christ was a higher God, most of the OT should be discarded, and a bible created just for the gentiles. At that time the gospels, Paul's letters and other documents were read in the churches but they weren't considered scripture. It was 300 years after Christ before the NT was created.

Marcion was excommunicated.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Um, no. This is so poorly worded as to be dead wrong.
With your superior ability to know all, please give us the date of the church council that established the writings of the NT as scripture.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
With your superior ability to know all, please give us the date of the church council that established the writings of the NT as scripture.
Do you understand the concept of a leading question? As I said, your statement is so poorly worded as to be dead wrong.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Do you understand the concept of a leading question? As I said, your statement is so poorly worded as to be dead wrong.
You use me, not to discuss scripture, but to convince the world your are so superior you can set yourself up as my judge. Instead of now criticizing how I speak, answer the question about what you are putting me down about. This is supposed to be a christian site, you are turning it into a personal battle site. Stop it.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
All of the OT testifies of Christ. To know Him is eternal life. Of course it's relevant, but we need to see Him in it for it to be of real use.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
You use me, not to discuss scripture, but to convince the world your are so superior you can set yourself up as my judge. Instead of now criticizing how I speak, answer the question about what you are putting me down about. This is supposed to be a christian site, you are turning it into a personal battle site. Stop it.
I am able to discuss without making personal comments; why can't you?

Your prior post was essentially a leading question. In other words, you make several incorrect assertions in your question so that answering it would implicitly justify your assertions. It's akin to asking, "Are you still beating your wife?"

I have no interest in using you, judging you, or demonstrating my superiority. I am merely commenting on your statement. It's not even a comment about you personally, but about your ideas. Of course, if you identify too closely with your ideas, you won't be able to process criticism of them as anything other than personal.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I am able to discuss without making personal comments; why can't you?

Your prior post was essentially a leading question. In other words, you make several incorrect assertions in your question so that answering it would implicitly justify your assertions. It's akin to asking, "Are you still beating your wife?"

I have no interest in using you, judging you, or demonstrating my superiority. I am merely commenting on your statement. It's not even a comment about you personally, but about your ideas. Of course, if you identify too closely with your ideas, you won't be able to process criticism of them as anything other than personal.
I think you really are fooling yourself and you believe what you write! If you are so capable of speaking of scripture instead of just making critical remarks, then discuss it!
The subject is when the writings of the new testament were accepted as scripture.

TooFastTurtle

Apr 10, 2019
No it is not, many of the prophecies in the OT are still waiting to be fulfilled.

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
What prophecy do you think is not happen yet ,besides the mark of the beast . And sunday laws &more persecution .????

Dec 30, 2019
All of the OT testifies of Christ. To know Him is eternal life. Of course it's relevant, but we need to see Him in it for it to be of real use.
The first letter in the first word of the Bible represents Christ. The Son of God who came to Earth to dwell with mankind. The entire Bible simply explains the first word in the Bible. Almost every translation translates this first verse the same: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." We are told: "He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world" (Eph1:4)

So not only do the words testify of Christ. The very letters that make up the words testify of Christ. In Hebrew letters are symbolic. Each letter has infinite meaning. "And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light." (Genesis 1:3) God spoke creation into existence.

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
No. The old testament is a wonderful historical record of the interaction between God and man. And as Paul stated a school master so that we will know what is sin.
The ten commandments IS NOT OUR SCHOOL MASTER , The school master was , Some OF the Hand writing of Moses , & only the ones that was against US ,
Colossians 2:14 this was ceremonial Laws ,The sacrifices & circumcision of the flesh ,It's circumcision of the heart NOW, The feast Sabbaths , Not GODs 7th DAY SABBATH , It go's back before Moses Hand writing . GOD BLESS as HE sees FIT . LK.png JESUS GOING TO THE CROSS STOPED ALL THE KILLING OF THE BEAST FOR SINs >>>!!!

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
The law condemns the lost and deems all the world guilty before God....and as a school master it takes us by the had and points us to Christ.....!![/QUOTE]
Colossians 2:14-18 & Ephesians 2:12 -16 Tells us that it was Some of the Hand writing of Moses That was done away with , & only the ones that was against US , GOD BE WITH YOU ALL AS HE SEES FIT .