Is unconditional election biblical?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is unconditional election biblical?

• Yes, unconditional election is biblical.

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • No , unconditional election is not biblical.

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Look to the OT for a type. The brazen serpent was carried throughout the camp but only those who looked upon it recovered from the snake bites that were killing them. Don't look and die or look and live. Choices must be made.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
As a type, this still doesn’t answer the question of who had the faith to believe and look, nor where they got that faith from.
It is of course, instructive in it’s type of how we are saved. By Grace through faith in looking to and trusting Jesus. But make no mistake. GOD is the One who gifts the faith to believe, NOT the person drawing it out of themselves.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
So, the cross doesn’t save unless they do something?
Have ye not read the Scriptures?

ROMANS 16 (ALSO READ AND STUDY ROMANS 10 WHICH THOROUGHLY REFUTES TULIP)
25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my Gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations
for the obedience of faith:
27 To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.

Does God command *the obedience of faith* to all nations (which includes the commandment to repent and be converted and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ)?

And is this not obedience to the Gospel?

And does obedience not require you to obey -- to do something?

But they have not all obeyed the Gospel.

But they have not all obeyed the Gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? (Rom 10:16)

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
but why does st.paul also say "be ye reconciled"? right after the world was reconciled to Himself, but it also says be ye reconciled, by believing gospel?
It is the same thing that Jeremiah said, "heal me O Lord, and i will be healed, save me and i will be saved, for you are my praise". It means he accepts that he has been healed and saved. "be ye reconciled" does not mean that you seek another reconciliation but come to the knowledge that you have been reconciled.

Christ's atoning death on the cross reconciles not only a group of people but all mankind, and not only all mankind but all creation (Heavens and earth and all that's in them)

Col 1:19For God was pleased to have all His fullness dwell in Him, 20and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through the blood of His cross.

Oct 25, 2018
this is just some mental games here. atonement is not efficacious unless people have faith in it. i think efficacious means the same as effective, saving. if not i take back what i said
Here is how the Reformed view all this thread is about, "Unconditional Election". When Adam fell, the whole race fell, as they were in Adam, as he represented them in the Garden. All of mankind, due to this fall, are born into the world as enemies of God...yes even infants are enemies of God. God chose a ppl out of all fallen mankind, gave them to the Christ to represent them. He was born at the time when the Law was still in effect. As Paul wrote in Galatians 4 4 But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, 5 so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. 6 Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” 7 Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God. Now, these He would redeem could not be everybody whoever lived under the Law, seeing that many died lost whilst living under the Law. There was a specific group of ppl He was redeeming, i.e. the elect, the sheep of God. And we too, were under the Law until we were saved. The Law required perfect obedience and none were able to meet that standard. Only the Christ could do that, and He did that for His ppl, the elect, the sheep of God.

The perfect, sinless life He lived, He lived it for them. The death He bore on the cross, He died it for them. The resurrection, He was raised from the dead for them. As Paul wrote in Romans 4:25 He who was delivered over because of our transgressions, and was raised because of our justification. If the Christ was resurrected for everybody w/o exception, then everybody w/o exception will be justified. And to be justified is to be declared righteous in the sight of God via the imputed righteousness of the Christ. And no one justified will die lost. And not only did the Christ do this, but He also ascended to the Father and is now seated at the right hand of the Father doing this 31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? 32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things? 33 Who will bring a charge against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies; 34 who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. Notice all the personal pronouns. There is a specific(not general) ppl Paul is writing about, i.e. the elect, the sheep of God.

So now, the Christ sets at the right hand of the Father, and now intercedes for everybody w/o exception? Absolutely not. He intercedes for all them that believe. We believe that the ones who will come to saving faith, i.e. believe in Him, are the elect of God, as all that He did, He did it for them, to procure their salvation for them.

Look at the OT high priest for instance. Did he intercede for all mankind when he offered sacrifices for sin? No, but solely for the OT ppl of God, Israel. The sins of the Philistines, Egyptians, Assyrians, Syrians, Jebusites, &c. never had their sins atoned for under the OT sacrificial system. In fact, they never had any system in place that could atone for their sins. They had no high priest who interceded on their behalf to God. God had justly left them in their already condemned state. In Hebrews 7, we see that the Christ is now the High Priest. And by seeing that the OT high priest typified the Christ's High Priesthood, He too, does not intercede on behalf of all mankind w/o exception, but solely for the elect, the sheep of God. :)

notuptome

May 17, 2013
As a type, this still doesn’t answer the question of who had the faith to believe and look, nor where they got that faith from.
It is of course, instructive in it’s type of how we are saved. By Grace through faith in looking to and trusting Jesus. But make no mistake. GOD is the One who gifts the faith to believe, NOT the person drawing it out of themselves.
Faith always comes from hearing Gods word. Moses spoke the word of God to the people. Moses said the Lord has declared that those who look upon the brazed serpent will live and those who turn away will perish.

Sovereignty of God in the wilderness journey. God was displeased with the nation of Israel. God said to Moses I will destroy them all and raise up a new people from thee. Moses interceded on behalf of the people that they would not be destroyed. Did Moses sway the sovereign will of God?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
So, the cross doesn’t save unless they do something?
exactly right. and no its not salvation by works. just like it wasnt in the wilderness when israelites were bit. the remedy was available for all but they had to look on the pole. same today you have to call on the name of the Lord to be saved but its available for all, just like remedy in israelite wilderness in numbers. very easy

I

IFOLLOWHIM

Acts3:19 REPENT ye therefore,and be converted,that your sins may be BLOTTED out,when the times of refreshing SHALL COME from the presence of the Lird;

1John1:9 If we CONFESS our sins,He is faithful and just to forgive us OUR sins,and to cleanse us FROM ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS!

Acts17:30 And the TIMES of THIS ignorance God winked at; but NOW COMMANDETH ALL MEN EVERYWHERE TO.....REPENT.

PROV.28:13 He that covereth God sons SHALL NOT prosper:but WHO SO CONFESSETH and FORSAKETH them shall have mercy

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Faith always comes from hearing Gods word. Moses spoke the word of God to the people. Moses said the Lord has declared that those who look upon the brazed serpent will live and those who turn away will perish.

Sovereignty of God in the wilderness journey. God was displeased with the nation of Israel. God said to Moses I will destroy them all and raise up a new people from thee. Moses interceded on behalf of the people that they would not be destroyed. Did Moses sway the sovereign will of God?

For the cause of Christ
Roger
While it is true our faith is activated by the hearing of the Word, it STILL doesn't explain where that faith to believe comes from.

MANY hear the Word and DON'T believe. So why do WE believe? Because we're so smart and wise, or because God gifted us with the faith to believe.

Ask yourself why it is so distasteful to you that your faith was given to you by God, and that is the ONLY reason you believe.

I

IFOLLOWHIM

Romans10:17 So then FAITH cometh by hearing,and hearing by the word of God
James1:5 If ANY of you lack WISDOM,let him ask of God,that giveth to ALL MEN liberally,and upbraideth not; AND IT SHALL BE GIVEN HIM.
Romans 12:3 For I say,through the GRACE given into me,to every man that is among you,not to THINK OF HIMSELF MORE HIGHLY than he ought to think; BUT TO THINK SOBERLY, according as GOD HATH DEALT TO EVERYMAN THE MEASURE OF FAITH.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
While it is true our faith is activated by the hearing of the Word, it STILL doesn't explain where that faith to believe comes from.

MANY hear the Word and DON'T believe. So why do WE believe? Because we're so smart and wise, or because God gifted us with the faith to believe.

Ask yourself why it is so distasteful to you that your faith was given to you by God, and that is the ONLY reason you believe.
Why do you want to make it impossible for God to be God? OT scripture says get knowledge for it is required to obtain understanding and that understanding leads to wisdom.

The word of God produces knowledge of God. Understanding that knowledge leads to one becoming wise unto salvation. The Holy spirit is the activator if you wish to consider it in those terms. John 16:8-11 describes this in exquisite terms.

I did not receive the word of God because of my goodness but because my iniquity was revealed through the word of God.

John 3:18-21 describes why some receive and some reject. Jesus left us these words that we might understand. Jesus never said He would not save any man that came to Him. He was lifted up that all would be drawn to Him. Jesus said that He would have gathered Jerusalem as a chick gathers her hens but they would not. Jesus came to His own but His own did not receive Him.

Scripture demonstrates over and over again that God makes covenants and men reject them. Did God twist your arm to receive Christ? Did God compel you to receive Christ? Were you saved against your will?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I would say because the circumstances in their life at the time, they felt no need for a Savior, no need to repent and turn to God. But the seed was planted.

7seasrekeyed

my post from yesterday in response to false accusations from sackcloth....they keep pushing with this false narrative of universalism, ignoring scripture states that Jesus died for the sins of the world....thye state that means we believe everyone will be saved and they refuse to even acknowledge that is not what we say and not what scripture teaches

I read quite a bit yesterday about the tactics being used by Calvinists and apparently, one of those tactics. is to keep repeating something over and over irregardless of how many or how much it is denied by others

how and in what way, does this bring any glory to God or show the love of Christ? well it doesn't and it is telling on the nature of Calvinistic teaching and the aggression that appears to accompany it

it is not in keeping with the nature of Christ and not indicative of honesty

"7seasrekeyed, post: 4069801, member: 260610"]2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. I John 2:2

neither myself nor any other non-Calvinist responding in this thread has EVER stated that we believe salvation is universal; however the Bible itself does state that Jesus died for the sins of the whole world

repeating your Calvinist doctrine over and over and falsely accusing people of saying things they did not say nor intend, does not hold any water unless of course you are baptized in the Calvin method of debate which includes repeating something longer and louder than anyone else so as to sound credible

this statement of yours:

suggests that stating Jesus died for all automatically equates to salvation for all...ie universalism

that was the entire debate yesterday and reading the posts made, anyone can see that. apparently you prefer to create a post that consists of mainly untrue statements of things I said and the other calvinists gather round to help you out

I find that behavior typical of Calvinist threads and the vitriol and nastiness that accompanies it is also typical

it is plain what I said and your devious responses are also very apparent

no one has said that the atonement covers non-believers

your conclusion is therefore that we all actually believe what Calvin teaches

however, the Bible plainly refutes Calvinism by stating Jesus died for the sins of the world

and I have stated mulitple times in this and other threads, as have others, that only those who accept Christ and believe as per scripture, are saved

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
The word of God produces knowledge of God. Understanding that knowledge leads to one becoming wise unto salvation. The Holy spirit is the activator if you wish to consider it in those terms. John 16:8-11 describes this in exquisite terms.
Couple of points. You consistently tell me WHAT you believe, but fall short of explaining WHY you believe, except you seemed to have moved an inch closer with begrudgingly saying it was the Holy Spirit (GOD) who activated the faith in you. But still not willing to admit that it was ALSO GOD who gave you that faith.
2 Timothy 3:15
“And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.”

If simply "knowing" the Holy Scriptures could save anybody, then the Pharisees and Sadducees of Jesus' day have NOTHING to worry about. Do they?

What Paul is writing here in 2 Timothy is just another way of saying that the faith, given to you BY GOD, is activated IN SOME by the hearing and knowing of the Word.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
what I see is limited understanding to what I wrote, never mind limited anything else

John plainly states that Jesus died for the sins of the world...not just those who would be saved

John the Baptist states that Jesus is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world

when understood in light of the fact that no one is saved automatically, nor are they forced to be saved in spite of themself, it is understood by most believers to mean that while Jesus died for all, as scripture states, all will not come to salvation

somehow, I see Calvinists mocking what is written about John 3:16. it is incredible that anyone could read that or study that and conclude it does not say what it plainly states.

WHOSOEVER WILL.. Calvin has no say in the matter and neither does anyone else no matter how much they deny it or mock the correct understanding

your reference to universalism is duly noted but that is your reference and not at all what I said or believe
Yes. That's exactly what I see too. A limited understanding to what you wrote.

If the Atonement is not applied to the whole world then it is limited. If it is limited then only believers are saved.

If the Atonement is applied to the whole world then it is unlimited. If it is unlimited then everyone is saved.

Just choose one.

Continuing to quote scripture that you don't understand won't help you wiggle out of it.

John doesn't PLAINLY say that Christ died for those who would not be saved. That's people's strange inference that CAN'T be True. Because the LORD JESUS Himself says that those who don't believe are condemned. If all sins of the whole world have been atoned for then there is nothing to condemn unbelievers of.

So you need a new understanding of the inference you make in John. Because it contradicts Christ.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
my post from yesterday in response to false accusations from sackcloth....they keep pushing with this false narrative of universalism, ignoring scripture states that Jesus died for the sins of the world....thye state that means we believe everyone will be saved and they refuse to even acknowledge that is not what we say and not what scripture teaches

I read quite a bit yesterday about the tactics being used by Calvinists and apparently, one of those tactics. is to keep repeating something over and over irregardless of how many or how much it is denied by others

how and in what way, does this bring any glory to God or show the love of Christ? well it doesn't and it is telling on the nature of Calvinistic teaching and the aggression that appears to accompany it

it is not in keeping with the nature of Christ and not indicative of honesty

"7seasrekeyed, post: 4069801, member: 260610"]2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. I John 2:2

neither myself nor any other non-Calvinist responding in this thread has EVER stated that we believe salvation is universal; however the Bible itself does state that Jesus died for the sins of the whole world

repeating your Calvinist doctrine over and over and falsely accusing people of saying things they did not say nor intend, does not hold any water unless of course you are baptized in the Calvin method of debate which includes repeating something longer and louder than anyone else so as to sound credible

this statement of yours:

suggests that stating Jesus died for all automatically equates to salvation for all...ie universalism

that was the entire debate yesterday and reading the posts made, anyone can see that. apparently you prefer to create a post that consists of mainly untrue statements of things I said and the other calvinists gather round to help you out

I find that behavior typical of Calvinist threads and the vitriol and nastiness that accompanies it is also typical

it is plain what I said and your devious responses are also very apparent

no one has said that the atonement covers non-believers

your conclusion is therefore that we all actually believe what Calvin teaches

however, the Bible plainly refutes Calvinism by stating Jesus died for the sins of the world

and I have stated mulitple times in this and other threads, as have others, that only those who accept Christ and believe as per scripture, are saved
I think THIS parable explains that Jesus DID pay for ALL sins, but some INSIST on rejecting that payment and paying their debt, that He has paid, THEMSELVES :

Matthew 18:21-35 New International Version (NIV)
The Parable of the Unmerciful Servant
21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”

22 Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.[a]

23 “Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand bags of gold[b] was brought to him. 25 Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.

26 “At this the servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ 27 The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.

28 “But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins.[c] He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded.

29 “His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.’

30 “But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31 When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened.

32 “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ 34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.

35 “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Look to the OT for a type. The brazen serpent was carried throughout the camp but only those who looked upon it recovered from the snake bites that were killing them. Don't look and die or look and live. Choices must be made.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
So even the Atonement of the brazen serpent was limited.

It was limited to those who would look upon it.

Right?

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
The analogy was for husbands to love their brides in the same manner the Christ loves His bride. He showed how much He loved her by dying for her. :)
But so far in the passage 'dying' as to atone is not being used. The scripture to scripture or comparing spiritual to spiritual things simply means to take care and feed. That's 'giving' of self in this context.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015

We believe because we are convicted by the Holy Spirit through his word. We know it the inspiration of the Almighty giveth understanding. Hearing the inspired Holy writ is how faith comes.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
We believe because we are convicted by the Holy Spirit through his word. We know it the inspiration of the Almighty giveth understanding. Hearing the inspired Holy writ is how faith comes.
If you are saying that believing is a complete work of God, and that the faith you have comes exclusively from Him, I absolutely agree.

As to the second line of your post, there is no disagreement from anyone that is HOW faith comes. What this thread and question is about is WHERE the faith comes from.

I contend GOD gifted us that faith, and if it DOESN'T come from Him, then we have cause to boast. So NO ONE believes because THEY are smart or wise in their understanding (EVEN though THESE would be gifts from Him as well) of Scripture.

As I stated. If merely hearing, knowing, memorizing, teaching, even attempting to live the Scriptures, could save, then the Pharisees and Sadducees of Jesus' day would be saved.