"It is finished"

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 14, 2019
Jesus said in John 19:30 "it is finished" on the cross but in Revelation 21:6 the Lord God says "it is finished". My question is what is the work completed on the cross and what is the work completed in Revelation 21:6? How do they relate to each other if at all? Also, in Revelation 21:6 it is the Alpha & Omega and the Beginning & End that says "it is finished" but why is the First & Last not there? It seems that at this point in time the Lord God is only two instead of three because the First & Last is absent from the scene. What are your thoughts?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Jesus said in John 19:30 "it is finished" on the cross but in Revelation 21:6 the Lord God says "it is finished". My question is what is the work completed on the cross and what is the work completed in Revelation 21:6? How do they relate to each other if at all?
Excellent question.

Also, in Revelation 21:6 it is the Alpha & Omega and the Beginning & End that says "it is finished" but why is the First & Last not there? It seems that at this point in time the Lord God is only two instead of three because the First & Last is absent from the scene. What are your thoughts?
This could have been in a different thread as it's a completely separate issue. The answer, however, is simple: they are One. The "First and the Last" is not a separate entity from "The Beginning and the End". The terms are simply different ways of saying the same thing.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Jesus said in John 19:30 "it is finished" on the cross but in Revelation 21:6 the Lord God says "it is finished". My question is what is the work completed on the cross and what is the work completed in Revelation 21:6? How do they relate to each other if at all? Also, in Revelation 21:6 it is the Alpha & Omega and the Beginning & End that says "it is finished" but why is the First & Last not there? It seems that at this point in time the Lord God is only two instead of three because the First & Last is absent from the scene. What are your thoughts?
Reread the prayer of Jesus in the garden. That is what is finished: His awful suffering for us all.

Sep 14, 2019
Excellent question.

This could have been in a different thread as it's a completely separate issue. The answer, however, is simple: they are One. The "First and the Last" is not a separate entity from "The Beginning and the End". The terms are simply different ways of saying the same thing.
yes, but i think it is more than a coincidence that the First & Last is absent from the text at this point in the journey. Otherwise why wouldn't the First & Last be listed along with the others.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
yes, but i think it is more than a coincidence that the First & Last is absent from the text at this point in the journey. Otherwise why wouldn't the First & Last be listed along with the others.
Fair point. :)

Apr 3, 2019
I don't the statement in John's gospel is related to the statement in revelation, most likely the end of his earthly suffering at the hands of men and it relates to the prophecy in Psalms.

(John 19:28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.)

(John 19:29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a sponge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his) mouth.)

(John 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.)

(Psa 69:21 They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink)

CS1

May 23, 2012

" It is Finished" is a statement of final payment once and for all. All Past debt, all present debt, and all future debt paid in full

May 23, 2020
When Jesus said “it is finished”
I’d always assumed the “it” referred to his suffering on the cross. How could it refer to anything in the future that hadn’t even started?

Sep 14, 2019
" It is Finished" is a statement of final payment once and for all. All Past debt, all present debt, and all future debt paid in full
This explains the first "it is finished" but doesn't explain the second "it is finished".

When Jesus said “it is finished”
I’d always assumed the “it” referred to his suffering on the cross. How could it refer to anything in the future that hadn’t even started?
I'm not sure that the suffering is what was finished when so many Christians went through just as much or more suffering than Jesus did. Maybe it has more to do with the fulfilment of the law. The law is "finished", completed, done.

CS1

May 23, 2012
This explains the first "it is finished" but doesn't explain the second "it is finished".

I'm not sure that the suffering is what was finished when so many Christians went through just as much or more suffering than Jesus did. Maybe it has more to do with the fulfilment of the law. The law is "finished", completed, done.

When Jesus said " it is finished" what happened?.

he gave up HIS Spirit. Then the curtain in the temple was torn from the bottom to the top. Jesus Death was excepted as payment for all sin. That is what has been finished. No more bulls and goats are needed. Jesus did what Bulls and boxes could not do. Forever.

Sep 14, 2019
When Jesus said " it is finished" what happened?.

he gave up HIS Spirit. Then the curtain in the temple was torn from the bottom to the top. Jesus Death was excepted as payment for all sin. That is what has been finished. No more bulls and goats are needed. Jesus did what Bulls and boxes could not do. Forever.
yes, which has to do with the fulfilment of the law but what about the second "it is finished" in Revelation

Sep 14, 2019
Since we know that the Lord God is the Alpha & the Omega (Father), the First and the Last (Son) and the Beginning and the End (Holy Spirit) and He operates as these three persons. It makes sense to me that the First and the Last (Son) completed His work on the cross in fulfilment of the law but the other two did NOT complete their work until Judgement is complete. This is why the First and the Last is not present because His work was already completed and He left final judgement to the other two persons. Then when judgement is complete the work of the Alpha and the Omega (Father) and the Beginning and the End (Holy Spirit) is finished and the new heaven and new earth can be ushered in. Another way to say it is that the work of "one" was completed on the cross and then after judgement the work of "two" is finished and all who are thirsty can drink from the fountains of the river of life. Exciting! Can't wait!

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
The difference between it is finished with the cross and rvelations is that when he said it is finished on the cross he was refering to the uniting of man and God with his blood and salvation in revelation he was speaking of the entire plan of God.

Apr 15, 2017
Joh 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

Joh 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

Mat 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Joh 4:34 Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.

Joh 9:4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.

When Jesus was on the cross, and He said, it is finished, He means that the work that He came to do as the Savior of the world was completed on earth.

Which Jesus said take up your cross and follow Him, which means do the work that God has for you to do, and the cross was Jesus' cross.

2Ti 4:6 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
2Ti 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.

Like Paul finished his works on earth.

Jesus is speaking it is finished according to His works on earth, for on the cross He died and would work no more on earth, and provided salvation.

But Jesus works by His Spirit now among the saints which that work is not finished yet for salvation is still available to the world.

Rev 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

Jesus saying He is the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, is the same as first and the last, and it has nothing to do with 2 persons, or 3 persons.

This is only a reverence to Jesus being the beginning and the end for He is eternal, and has no beginning, and will have no end.

Concerning the saints they are not eternal from the past, but eternal for the future, so only God can be the first and last, but their eternity did not come from themselves, but from God.

Jesus' work is finished on earth, but not finished according to His Spirit, for He works among people towards salvation, and when Jesus said, it is done, He means that the wicked are put down, and the saints are with Him, and He does not work anymore in the world by His Spirit to save people.

John 19:30 It is finished, works of Jesus in the flesh on earth, Revelation 22:6 it is done, works of Jesus by His Spirit on earth.

Rev 10:5 And the angel which I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven,
Rev 10:6 And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer:
Rev 10:7 But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

Here the mystery of God is finished which the world will know God then, which the book of Revelation is the revealing of Jesus Christ to the world.

And time will be no longer for time is not a universal principle, but is a creation itself, and only applies to this creation as a measuring tool.

Rev 22:5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

Before creation there was no time, and after this creation there is no time, and the sun is the measuring tool for this creation as it marks days, and there is no sun in the New Jerusalem.

There is nothing scheduled before this creation, and after this creation, but everything goes on the same, so there is no time, but there is things scheduled according to this creation so there is time.

Which some people think time is a universal principle that always applies, but it does not, and the Bible says time will be no more, so I will listen to God rather than science, and people.

Also there is no such thing as space for God is an omnipresent Spirit, so He fills all space, so there is no empty area.

People look up and say, oh look space, but no, oh look God.

They say space and time, but it is God and measuring tool for He measures time by the sun, which there was no sun before creation, and no sun after creation, so what would measure time unless you want to go 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi, and so on to 86,400 seconds for a day, but what it the purpose of that when time is not needed.

Apr 3, 2019
yes, which has to do with the fulfilment of the law but what about the second "it is finished" in Revelation
There is a difference between the verses "it is finished" in Christ's statememt in the Greek is teleo

G5055 teleo tel-eh'-o

from G5056;

to end, i.e. complete, execute, conclude, discharge (a debt).

In the revelation it means "it is done" - The Greek is ginomai

G1096 ginomai ghin'-om-ahee

a prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb;

to cause to be ("gen"-erate), i.e. (reflexively) to become (come into being),

used with great latitude (literal, figurative, intensive, etc.).

So you can't compare the two verses in the way you attempting.

Sep 14, 2019
There is a difference between the verses "it is finished" in Christ's statememt in the Greek is teleo

G5055 teleo tel-eh'-o

from G5056;

to end, i.e. complete, execute, conclude, discharge (a debt).

In the revelation it means "it is done" - The Greek is ginomai

G1096 ginomai ghin'-om-ahee

a prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb;

to cause to be ("gen"-erate), i.e. (reflexively) to become (come into being),
used with great latitude (literal, figurative, intensive, etc.).

So you can't compare the two verses in the way you attempting.
So maybe it is done in Revelation means "it is done"...i have created the new heavens and the new earth and made it ready for you.

This difference in words used does not account for the fact that the First and the Last is not there whereas my explanation does account for this. So, a slight adjustment would be the First and the Last says "it is finished" on the cross in fulfilment of the law and the other two say "it is done" I have created the new heaven and earth and prepared it for those who are thirsty.

Apr 3, 2019
So maybe it is done in Revelation means "it is done"...i have created the new heavens and the new earth and made it ready for you.

This difference in words used does not account for the fact that the First and the Last is not there whereas my explanation does account for this. So, a slight adjustment would be the First and the Last says "it is finished" on the cross in fulfilment of the law and the other two say "it is done" I have created the new heavens and earth and prepared it for those who are thirsty.
To be honest your posts so far have not made much sense to me.

Sep 14, 2019
To be honest your posts so far have not made much sense to me.
yeah i know what you mean, however, you do need to split your thinking into multiple persons and can't just be satisfied with thinking in terms of just one being even though all three are the same being. It is difficult for most to split their thinking into more than one but I don't know how you can completely understand the book of Revelation without thinking in terms of more than one being.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
In John, what was finished was Jesus's personal battle against all the forces of evil who tried to get out Lord to commit sin. Talk about a warrior....thank you Lord Jesus. In Revelation, what God finished was his work in the lives of all believers, making us a new creation. Praise God.

May 23, 2020

Where do you see that so many Christians went through as much or more suffering?