It's the Gender Exchange Thread!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I am just like my father. Totally incompetent at fixing anything! My mom was the fix-it. I did learn a lot about tools, first making silver jewellry for 7 years, and building houses. I am awesome with a hammer. Just a couple of hits for a 3 inch spike!

I was raised traditionally, rebelled in principle, but never picked up much in the way of changing tires, etc. Why try to pull a rusted lug nut off, when you can stand in a parking lot, and some man will come along and do it for you?

In my day, I wanted to take shop, but girls were not allowed to. My mom taught me to sew, I used to make all my clothes, till RA hit and now my hands are too damaged to do the work.

My most clever thing I did was marry my husband. He can literally fix anything. He is the renovation/car mechanic/yard work king. The most clever thing he did was marry me. I can cook and organize. My daughter can fix anything. She even learned to do mechanics and body work with my husband. None of our sons do, though! Not sure what happened there? Oh right, hockey happened. Too busy to learn how to change the oil on a car.

As for check books and budgets, my mom always did that, and so do I. I thought that was a woman's thing? Goes to show these gender roles really are flexible? Which is not to say men are not men, and women are not women. I just think it is better to be good at most things. Unless you are a total klutz! (Hubby can't cook to save his life. He is getting better at buying frozen food to heat up, when I was so sick. I had him on an apprenticeship program to learn how to make a bed, but he flunked out. He still has to do it, but I have to supervise him every time. Another thing my hands won't let me do! King sized beds are dreadful, that way!)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I occasionally do the cooking and I always do the dishes. I do manly stuff too like take out the trash.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
As i child, my older sisters and i would climb our roof from a nearby tree, from which we picked some ripe fruit and ate from there=). When the guys at home cannot or will not chop branches of not so tall trees, i dont mind chopping off some, as i am often left to clear the leaves which fall from these which i planted.. I have learned to harvest the bananas too before other creatures do so.

Both my brothers and sisters were often asked to do or help around the house, while I, as a younger child, was often exempted from some assignments and housework. At the time i thought that was nice, esp as my mom appreciated a young child's strivings to learn piano, et al. and would rather listen to me learning than cleaning or apprentice cooking. So i didnt really learn or practice cooking (except baking, which i like and do now) as a young person, while she said to keep playing while she or they cooked... (Even after she retired, she would rather do the cooking and let me play as it de-stresses her, she said=). In time i had to learn, but am not as "fluent" as those who probably found the kitchen their playroom or Ojt.

BruceWayne

Aug 7, 2013
Gotham City
* What kinds of things do you do that are "normally" seen as something done by the other gender?

Hmm... Dye my hair. Baking. Cooking. I'm really good with babies.

* What talents/skills have you been told that you do "really well" "for a guy" or "for a girl"?

Apparently I'm amazing at holding a purse, because I've been forced to while she shops on countless occasions.
I also tie a mean ponytail.

* Who taught you how to do said skills? Was it from a member of the opposite gender?

I'm a natural.

* What are some life skills that you believe everyone should know a little bit about, regardless of gender?

Cooking, basic car stuff(checking oil, putting air into tires, etc.).

S

Susanna

* What kinds of things do you do that are "normally" seen as something done by the other gender?

* What talents/skills have you been told that you do "really well" "for a guy" or "for a girl"?

Apparently I'm amazing at holding a purse, because I've been forced to while she shops on countless occasions.

* Who taught you how to do said skills? Was it from a member of the opposite gender?

I'm a natural.

* What are some life skills that you believe everyone should know a little bit about, regardless of gender?

Does that mean you’re holding the purse like a girl, or are you holding the purse like a man? Lol

H

Hamarr

Does that mean you’re holding the purse like a girl, or are you holding the purse like a man? Lol
Agreed. More details are needed. Like, is it being rocked over the shoulder, or sitting with it in your lap while you wait for your lady friend to shop?

BruceWayne

Aug 7, 2013
Gotham City
I just went over 14,000,605 scenarios & in none of them was it possible to hold a purse like a man. :ROFL:

But when I've had to, I just hold it by the strap and let it dangle around. Over the shoulder isn't happening. lol

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Fortunately I have more than enough "gender proper" traits to not worry about losing my man card over this, but I started cooking/baking when I was 10 or so to the extent of occasionally running my Mom out of her own kitchen.

JustEli

Dec 23, 2018

I'm a natural.

a natural hahhahahhaaaa........ so awesome

JustEli

Dec 23, 2018
I just went over 14,000,605 scenarios & in none of them was it possible to hold a purse like a man. :ROFL:

But when I've had to, I just hold it by the strap and let it dangle around. Over the shoulder isn't happening. lol
over the shoulder! rock it! lol

JustEli

Dec 23, 2018
14 mill hahahahahahaha

H

Hamarr

over the shoulder! rock it! lol
I had a guy I used to work with do that. We both happened to be wearing pink shirts that day. His pink shirt matched the purse one of the ladies brought in. So he had to show off the purse and matching shirt.

In my defense, I was semi deceived. The picture of the shirt looked closer to a wine or maroon color or something. I order stuff online when I know it will fit and don't feel like going into the store to try stuff on. :p

S

Susanna

That’s close, but no cigar. A man must clutch the purse (even it’s not a clutch), the strap is irrelevant lol.

JustEli

Dec 23, 2018
hahahhahhaahahahahahhaa