Jesus told us to Honor Passover

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The 14th day of Nissan is Passover.
And since Christ is OUR PASSOVER who has already been sacrificed for us -- one sacrifice for sins forever -- the Lord's Supper was to be held every Lord's Day, every week. BIG DIFFERENCE. See 1 Corinthians 11.

Only unbelieving Jews celebrate Passover, since Christ is not their Passover Lamb.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
FYI:

(excerpt)

Some Christians observe a form of the Jewish holiday of Passover. The practice is found among Assemblies of Yahweh, Messianic Jews, and some congregations of the Church of God (Seventh Day). It is often linked to the Christian holiday and festival of Easter. Often, only an abbreviated seder is celebrated to explain the meaning in a time-limited ceremony. The redemption from the bondage of sin through the sacrifice of Christ is celebrated, a parallel of the Jewish Passover's celebration of redemption from bondage in the land of Egypt.[1]
Christian Passover ceremonies are held on the evening corresponding to 14 Nisan (e.g. April 5, 2012) or 15 Nisan, depending whether the particular church uses a quartodeciman or quintodeciman application. In other cases, the holiday is observed according to the Jewish calendar on 15 Nisan, which is also used by Samaritans.

(found here)

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geK.H4c3heExUAFOtXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyMDVpdDg3BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMzBHZ0aWQDQjk3NjVfMQRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1584981112/RO=10/RU=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passover_(Christian_holiday)/RK=2/RS=X5eg.j.IxXtgYaOraEa4dvuO.PM-

(additional info)

The main Christian view is that the Passover, as observed by ancient Israel as well as Jews today, was a type of the true Passover sacrifice that was to be made by Jesus.[2]
As the Israelites partook of the Passover sacrifice by eating it, most Christians commemorate Jesus' death by taking part in the Lord's Supper, which Jesus is said to have instituted (1Corinthians 11:15-34, Luke 22:19-20). Most Protestants see the elements as symbolic of Jesus' body or as symbols of the presence and or as a memorial to quicken and confirm a faith already held, while Roman Catholic and Orthodox Christians hold that the elements are changed into Jesus' body and blood, which they then eat and drink. The Orthodox prefer to use the term, meteousis (change) rather than transubstantiation which is a Western philosophical term applied to a doctrinal concept. Lutherans describe the presence as sacramental union which means that the body and blood are "in, with, and under" the bread and wine. Anglicans believe that the bread and wine are outward and visible symbols and that "The inward and spiritual grace in the Holy Communion is the Body and Blood of Christ given to his people, and received by faith," that is as an objective presence and subjective reception.(BCP 1976. p 859). This definition most closely approximates the words of St. John of Damascus, "the bread and wine are the visible symbols of a spiritual reality."[citation needed]
The spiritual theme of Passover is one of salvation by the atoning blood of a perfect, spotless sacrificed lamb.[citation needed] For many Christians, this is the spiritual pattern seen in Passover which gives it its eternal meaning and significance. The theme is carried on and brought to its ultimate New Covenant fulfillment in the sacrificial death of Christ as the promised sacrifice.[3]

Apparently, there are some professed Christians who STILL believe in living by the Laws of the 1st Covenant that celebrate Passover similar to what the Jews did way back then.....and, mayhaps, today.

IMO, the majority of Christians observe the Last Supper, and Communion......and some of us also celebrate feetwashing as commanded by Christ. Although, many Christians do not think it was a Commandment......don't know why......it's pretty clear in Scripture to me........

John, Chapter 13 starting at verse 4:

He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.
5After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.
6Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?
7Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.
8Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.
9Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.
10Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.
11For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.
12So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
13Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
14If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
15For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
16Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

17If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

It isn't uncommon for Christians from various denominations/groups to pick and choose what they celebrate, so I'm not surprised when there are differing opinions. Best I can say is a person must study Scripture and decide for themselves what they should do/celebrate.
Why do you mislabel the feasts as Jewish Holidays? Are you a child of God? For that matter, is the words of your God in the OT only words to the Jews? You cannot honor Christ as God and exclude God the Father, as you seem to do, and go to Christ as God.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
And since Christ is OUR PASSOVER who has already been sacrificed for us -- one sacrifice for sins forever -- the Lord's Supper was to be held every Lord's Day, every week. BIG DIFFERENCE. See 1 Corinthians 11.

Only unbelieving Jews celebrate Passover, since Christ is not their Passover Lamb.
When Christ partook of the Passover lamb He told you to do this in remembrance of me. You take communion and tell God you are done with with Passover, but that is not completing what Christ asked of you. It is rebelling.

You are right, only a few Christians and unbelieving Jews obey, to our shame.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
When Christ partook of the Passover lamb He told you to do this in remembrance of me.
And since He became the true Passover Lamb on the cross He also said: IT IS FINISHED.

But it is not finished for you. You wish to reject what Christ said and did, and revert to Moses. Which means that you have REJECTED the finished work of Christ (just like all the unbelieving Jews).

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
When Christ partook of the Passover lamb He told you to do this in remembrance of me.
That is not correct. According to Luke, Jesus broke bread and gave it to the disciples, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me." And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood."

He didn't point to the whole Passover meal (or to he lamb specifically) and say, "Do this in remembrance of Me."

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com

1. What if it is you that God finds to be wrong about this? After all, you choose to ignore any information resources that afford a supporting scriptural position for any & all issues related to the Jewish calendar. As is the case with this latest topic. So what if you're the one that is wrong? What then? And I don't think God will condemn the Passover keeper who also keeps the Sabbath holy. Though He may have a thing or two to say about people who condemn His children for honoring Him in such ways.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
What if it is you that God finds to be wrong about this?
Why would God find me to be wrong in this, when I am presenting what He has said in His Word regarding the Old and New Covenants? The Old Covenant has been RENDERED OBSOLETE (abolished) by the New Covenant. That is the Word of God.

2 CORINTHIANS 3
1 Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you?
2 Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4 And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the New Testament
[Covenant]; not of the letter, but of the Spirit: for the letter killeth, but the Spirit giveth life.
7 But if the ministration of death
[the Old Covenant], written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the Spirit
[the New Covenant] be rather glorious?
9 For if the ministration of condemnation
[the Old Covenant] be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness [the New Covenant] exceed in glory.
10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
11 For if that which is done away
[the Old Covenant] was glorious, much more that which remaineth [the New Covenant] is glorious.
12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:
13 And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look
to the end of that which is abolished:
[the Old Covenant]
14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the Old Testament [Covenant]; which vail is done away in Christ.
15 But even unto this day, when Moses
[the Old Covenant] is read, the vail is upon their heart.
16 Nevertheless when it
[the heart] shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.
17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty
[from the Old Covenant].
18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

But since unbelieving Jews have rejected Christ, they have also rejected the New Covenant in His blood. Therefore they continue to observe the obsolete Passover feast.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
Why would God find me to be wrong in this, when I am presenting what He has said in His Word regarding the Old and New Covenants? The Old Covenant has been RENDERED OBSOLETE (abolished) by the New Covenant. That is the Word of God.

2 CORINTHIANS 3
1 Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you?
2 Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4 And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the New Testament
[Covenant]; not of the letter, but of the Spirit: for the letter killeth, but the Spirit giveth life.
7 But if the ministration of death
[the Old Covenant], written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the Spirit
[the New Covenant] be rather glorious?
9 For if the ministration of condemnation
[the Old Covenant] be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness [the New Covenant] exceed in glory.
10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
11 For if that which is done away
[the Old Covenant] was glorious, much more that which remaineth [the New Covenant] is glorious.
12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:
13 And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look
to the end of that which is abolished:
[the Old Covenant]
14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the Old Testament [Covenant]; which vail is done away in Christ.
15 But even unto this day, when Moses
[the Old Covenant] is read, the vail is upon their heart.
16 Nevertheless when it
[the heart] shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.
17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty
[from the Old Covenant].
18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

But since unbelieving Jews have rejected Christ, they have also rejected the New Covenant in His blood. Therefore they continue to observe the obsolete Passover feast.
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
  1. What if it is you that God finds to be wrong about this? After all, you choose to ignore any information resources that afford a supporting scriptural position for any & all issues related to the Jewish calendar. As is the case with this latest topic. So what if you're the one that is wrong? What then? And I don't think God will condemn the Passover keeper who also keeps the Sabbath holy. Though He may have a thing or two to say about people who condemn His children for honoring Him in such ways.
I ignore!! scripture!! This entire post is about it being an error that people assume that Christ asks us to ignore the instructions about praise and worship that His Father gave us.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
Which part of the Law and the Prophets did Jesus fail to fulfill?

M

Michael29

Short and Sweet:

The Torah given by God is perfect just as it’s Giver is. Whose obligated to the Torah? Jews! Not Non Jews or Gentiles. The Torah teaches every aspect of morality that exists, from not to steal, building a court system, kindness, burying the dead, festivals, family purity, modesty and more. Did Jesus “fulfill the Torah”, of course He is perfect but that doesn’t end the Torah as Blik pointed out. Just reads Acts 15 and you’ll see this point made very clear.

Now, do Non Jewish believers have to follow Torah? No. They have 7 universal Noachide laws, many hinted in Acts 15, but remember they all learned in Synagogues. There was no church, just a Jewish Synagogue where many righteous Gentiles learned about God and would learn their role in the One Kingdom.

Today, nothing has changed. But can Non Jewish believers celebrate Shabbat, Passover, etc? Sure! No problem. There is no obligation or restriction. Just don’t try and force your modern form of celebration on Jews who know the Law much greater than any Non Jew. We simply have different roles but yes Christians, Messianics, etc can celebrate and honour God as they wish. If one wants to follow the Torah “better”, then speak to a Jewish authority to learn the Torah at a higher level but definitely not obligated and not recommended from one who just wants to keep their faith for simple.

Mar 28, 2016
In Luke 22:7 to 22 Luke told us all about the last supper Jesus ate just before he was crucified. Our church has interpreted these passages as saying that Jesus was cancelling Passover and establishing a new one and the rite of communion was established. They have assumed this, for if it is to be obeyed as it is written, then we are to “do this in remembrance of me”. Jesus was honoring Passover, so if we “do this” we will be honoring Passover, for that is what Jesus was doing. Scripture says nothing to indicate that Jesus wants us to cancel Passover and substitute our ceremony of taking communion.

Amen. Jesus partially fulfilled that old testament shadow at the time of reformation . Freeing the Jewish woman separated by a high wall from the men who performed the ceremonies as a sign to mankind to seek His living word.

The women who were separated by another high was also separated from the gentiles men and woman . Christ when he said it is finished it broke down those dividing walls. He established new testament ordinances of two working together as one. . . using all the nations of the world as a kingdom of priest as spoken of in Joel . Restoring the order to when there were no outward representative lording it over the flesh of other men .Again the reformation had come where our unseen Father reins as Kings of kings. . Not after the Pagan foundation as those who do wrestle against flesh and blood. But more like the freewoman the church spoken of in Galatians 4. Her God has broken down those walls never to rise again.

Two parts to the new shadow represent the Passover shadow . (1) The hair covering for the women with the head un-covered for the man along with (2) the breaking of bread and drinking of the blood of grapes. Both together as one new Passover shadow that points ahead to the last day .When the veil of the bride is lifted and she receives the promised new incorruptible body that all believers died not receiving . The wedding supper is consummated .

A sign as a shadow of the good things to come to the world, not to ourselves . We can supply the view as a demonstration. He must add power so they can believe their first love. Other wise how could they find their husband?

A sign as the whole ceremony today that has seemed all but to disappear. Excusing it as a hair fashion for a short time period. I wonder how that affects the spiritual understanding of the whole church, as the bride. The virtuous bride of Christ (male and female) as new creatures in that way have lost some of its witness to the world of the Passover .

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
And since He became the true Passover Lamb on the cross He also said: IT IS FINISHED.

But it is not finished for you. You wish to reject what Christ said and did, and revert to Moses. Which means that you have REJECTED the finished work of Christ (just like all the unbelieving Jews).
But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed
saying that it was needful to circumcise them (Gentile believers) and to
command them to keep the law of Moses.

Acts 15: 5 KJV

Wherefore my sentence is that we trouble not which from among the Gentiles
are turned to God But we write unto them that they abstain from pollutions of
idols, and from fornication and from things strangled and from blood.

Acts 15: 20 KJV

The stipulations given by James are what was and is known as the Noadic Covenant
which is considered to be the minimum worship requirement for righteous Gentiles

Jews who accept Jesus as Messiah are required to follow the Mosaic Law not for
salvation but because they are Jews and part of Israel. The Mosaic covenant was
given to Israel only
as an eternal covenant and includes all the festivals and customs

From around the time of Constantine Jews who accepted Jesus as their Messiah were
forced to denounce the whole of the Mosaic Law and their cultural heritage.

Now we see the opposite extreme in some Christian groups whose members are not
ethnic Jews but are trying to copy them.

There is nothing wrong with studying our Jewish roots and a great amount of spiritual
understanding can be gained from it. The OT compliments the NT. But unless you are
born Jewish then anyone who insists you follow the Mosaic Law is copying those Pharisees
in the book of Acts.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
So you wish to contradict this? Or simply misapply Scripture?
13 And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: [the Old Covenant]

Paul was writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and God does not contradict Himself. It is BECAUSE Christ fulfilled the demands of the Old Covenant, that Paul wrote that it was abolished.

Well why don't you also try and contradict the Scriptures quoted below? When something vanishes away, it is abolished. The Old Covenant was in effect only UNTIL THE TIME OF REFORMATION (the New Covenant)

For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hopedid; by the which we draw nigh unto God. (Heb 7:19)

For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. (Heb 8:7)

In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away. (Heb 8:13)

Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation. (Heb 9:10)

For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. (Heb 19:1)

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Now we see the opposite extreme in some Christian groups whose members are not ethnic Jews but are trying to copy them.
Not only that but GIVING A THUMBS DOWN TO THE WORD OF GOD. As seen in my post #28.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
So you wish to contradict this? Or simply misapply Scripture?
13 And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: [the Old Covenant]

Paul was writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and God does not contradict Himself. It is BECAUSE Christ fulfilled the demands of the Old Covenant, that Paul wrote that it was abolished.

Well why don't you also try and contradict the Scriptures quoted below? When something vanishes away, it is abolished. The Old Covenant was in effect only UNTIL THE TIME OF REFORMATION (the New Covenant)

For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hopedid; by the which we draw nigh unto God. (Heb 7:19)

For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. (Heb 8:7)

In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away. (Heb 8:13)

Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation. (Heb 9:10)

For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. (Heb 19:1)
Citing what The Christ said as to his mission is not misapplying scripture. You might reconsider thinking a Pharisee has more authority than God Himself

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
Yeshua/Jesus fulfilled all the Law and all the Prophets wrote.
No, He didn't. There are still prophecies concerning Messiah that need be fulfilled before the second coming.
And further, Jesus said, not one jot nor tittle will be removed from the law until all is accomplished. If Jesus knew death on the cross would abolish the law, would Jesus have reiterated parts of the law to his Apostles? When preparing them to carry forth after He departs the earth and therein deliver His Great Commission to the world?

The law is written on our hearts, so that we believers will never be separated from them. That means the law is still in effect. That also means, those who are not yet in the faith do not yet have that law in their hearts. How else will they know of it unless or until they are reached by pastors, missionaries, proselytizing, that delivers to them what the laws of God are. So that once they choose to receive Christ and become indwelt by Gods Holy Spirit, they then have those laws in their hearts.

If the laws no longer apply, why are they alive in our heart?
People who tell you the law of God is of no effect, are telling you their plight! Not the Good News Truth!