known criminal, murderer, sex offender welcome?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

jerry2465

Dec 28, 2016
So if one of these folks came into your congregation how would they be treated if their past was known?

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
So if one of these folks came into your congregation how would they be treated if their past was known?
I know that at my church (assuming they truly had changed) they would be welcomed with open arms although a registered sex offender would have conditions placed on their attendance (such as being prohibited from being in the portion of the building that houses children's activities). Christ's regenerating work is not limited to person's who have clean backgrounds.

jerry2465

Dec 28, 2016
I agree, isn't that why Jesus came? to seek and save the lost? Seems to me like those people are part of "the lost". I think that some people see those people as being too lost or too far gone. And if they are not welcome wouldn't that be saying that you don't really believe that Jesus's blood isn't powerful enough to save them?

Feb 28, 2016
1COR. 6:9-10-(11).
And such were some of you: but you are washed, but you are sanctified, but you are justified
in The Name of The Lord Jesus, and by The Spirit of our God.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The key is whether s/he has (or is willing to) acknowledged the sinfulness of her/his actions, trust in Jesus for salvation, and seek to grow in Him by the power of the Holy Spirit...

Just like the rest of us.

May 27, 2019
According to Christians in America today, yes, that will be allowed.

But refugees are NOT welcome

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
All who repent from past sin and live in the Holy Spirit are fellow members of the Body of Christ. Do not look to condemn anyone for we have received mercy to be shared with all others. Avoic all who are unrepentent.

jerry2465

Dec 28, 2016
All who repent from past sin and live in the Holy Spirit are fellow members of the Body of Christ. Do not look to condemn anyone for we have received mercy to be shared with all others. Avoic all who are unrepentent.
I agree, except I don't think we should avoid anyone. If they were in a church building at all then that could very well be the beginning of a repentant Christian and should be taught the gospel.

Romans 10:14 English Standard Version (ESV)
14 How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard?[a] And how are they to hear without someone preaching?

It don't say to exclude anyone but just simply to preach so that they might hear so that they might believe.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
We are taught when a brother, or anyone for that mattr, continues to be unrepentent after sufficient instruction and/or admonishment we are t treat the person as an unbeliever.

There have been several individuals in my walk who knew my stance in Jesus, Yeshua, yet after much discussion and sharing were yet unrepentent. One in particular was gathering people from a nearby high school to perform a black mass "against" me. Othrs were equally happily in the darkness. I stopped dealing with them after a few months. I pray for all.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
They'd be welcomed to hear the Gospel and experience the concern for one another (including them) but they wouldn't be able to hold any type of position or service in an unsaved state.

K

kaylagrl

According to Christians in America today, yes, that will be allowed.

But refugees are NOT welcome

Humm,not Christian,seems you have a bigger issue you need to be considering. Don't you think? Instead of spreading falsehoods?

jerry2465

Dec 28, 2016
We are taught when a brother, or anyone for that mattr, continues to be unrepentent after sufficient instruction and/or admonishment we are t treat the person as an unbeliever.

There have been several individuals in my walk who knew my stance in Jesus, Yeshua, yet after much discussion and sharing were yet unrepentent. One in particular was gathering people from a nearby high school to perform a black mass "against" me. Othrs were equally happily in the darkness. I stopped dealing with them after a few months. I pray for all.
When though is "sufficient instruction and/or admonishment" are we not supposed to be patient as God is patient with all? It took me 40 years to come to God, what if God wasn't patient with me? God would forgive someone living in sin all the way up to death, shouldn't we stand ready and willing to continue to guide and instruct these people patiently. I don't mean to follow them around, but to always be welcoming. I can understand someone whos behavior might be boldly disruptive or dangerous might be asked to leave until their behavior improves.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
They should be welcomed.. But at the same time some restrictions should be placed on some of them..

Christianity is all about sinners being saved and getting a second chance..

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Welcomed, yes, but why are they there? Isn’t the local assembly made up of believers? The gospel may not be given and what they hear should sound a bit strange to them.

The local assembly should go out and preach the gospel and invite anyone who gets saved to the local assembly to grow in the word of truth.

jerry2465

Dec 28, 2016
Welcomed, yes, but why are they there? Isn’t the local assembly made up of believers? The gospel may not be given and what they hear should sound a bit strange to them.

The local assembly should go out and preach the gospel and invite anyone who gets saved to the local assembly to grow in the word of truth.
Only they know why they are there, its not our job to judge their motives but instead be a light to the world, and they are part of the world.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Only they know why they are there, its not our job to judge their motives but instead be a light to the world, and they are part of the world.
At the same time, they may have evil motives that should not be overlooked.

jerry2465

Dec 28, 2016
At the same time, they may have evil motives that should not be overlooked.

This is a problem I think. A lot of people see church as a country club for good behavior, and that we should exclude anyone who might disrupt our party, when in reality the unruly are exactly who Jesus was trying to reach and went to the cross to save. This includes every one of us, none of us are better in our own flesh than anyone else.

Mark 2:15-17 English Standard Version (ESV)

15 And as he reclined at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners were reclining with Jesus and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16 And the scribes of[a] the Pharisees, when they saw that he was eating with sinners and tax collectors, said to his disciples, “Why does he eat[b] with tax collectors and sinners?” 17 And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”

It seems to me that there is a lot of self righteous "I'm better than them" sorta stuff that goes on. It reminds me so much of the parable of the pharisee and the tax collector in Luke 18

Luke 18:9-14 English Standard Version (ESV)
The Pharisee and the Tax Collector
9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed[a] thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

We are not better, but the difference is that we look to Jesus for our righteousness and not our own. We should always allow for ANYONE to have the exact same privilege. If we don't then we start acting like we are the gatekeepers to heaven instead of Jesus by letting in who we feel are good enough.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
This is a problem I think. A lot of people see church as a country club for good behavior, and that we should exclude anyone who might disrupt our party, when in reality the unruly are exactly who Jesus was trying to reach and went to the cross to save. This includes every one of us, none of us are better in our own flesh than anyone else.

Mark 2:15-17 English Standard Version (ESV)

15 And as he reclined at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners were reclining with Jesus and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16 And the scribes of[a] the Pharisees, when they saw that he was eating with sinners and tax collectors, said to his disciples, “Why does he eat[b] with tax collectors and sinners?” 17 And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”

It seems to me that there is a lot of self righteous "I'm better than them" sorta stuff that goes on. It reminds me so much of the parable of the pharisee and the tax collector in Luke 18

Luke 18:9-14 English Standard Version (ESV)
The Pharisee and the Tax Collector

9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed[a] thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

We are not better, but the difference is that we look to Jesus for our righteousness and not our own. We should always allow for ANYONE to have the exact same privilege. If we don't then we start acting like we are the gatekeepers to heaven instead of Jesus by letting in who we feel are good enough.
We all know this, but child molesters, murderers, etc..should be watched. Yes, the Lord died for them and we need to preach the gospel to them, but are they looking to repent and turn to the Lord or are they looking to take advantage? Be wise, that’s all I’m saying. Walk circumspectly.

Go out and reach them in the world, get them saved and then bring them in for discipleship in the word.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
When though is "sufficient instruction and/or admonishment" are we not supposed to be patient as God is patient with all? It took me 40 years to come to God, what if God wasn't patient with me? God would forgive someone living in sin all the way up to death, shouldn't we stand ready and willing to continue to guide and instruct these people patiently. I don't mean to follow them around, but to always be welcoming. I can understand someone whos behavior might be boldly disruptive or dangerous might be asked to leave until their behavior improves.
Right now, this month, I am 75. Those examples in my prayers are from fifty years ago. i PRAY FOR THEM STILL. It is not my patience it is that of the Spirit. Remember one person is said by God to have been given sufficient time to repent…………..Even our Father has His time for each of us.
I have waited and prayed for people who conducted themselves as enemies since my enfancy. One of whom I am dtold turned to Jesus jus a few years ago, and then after three months he passed on. I did pray for that person most of my life, and now I thank God morning and night for his salvation ending with I pray it beso. Do not put your fears as reality with other for allwill b revealed in its time. God bless you.