Learning or Talking?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Galatea

I am mostly here to learn but to talk too, once in awhile. It is good to do private studies of the Bible; matter of fact, that should be a daily habit for all Christians. However, God calls us to fellowship with one another because He understands us and knows what we need to grow. We all need each other, we are one family, one body. No one person can understand all of God's word in this lifetime... even together we lack knowledge and wisdom! God speaks and often times, it is through your fellow brother or sister in Christ.

In the world's sense we are strangers... but we are connected, we are one in God. You're talking to family.
I don’t know, I think God talks through His word.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
No need to deeply analyze it. I come here to see what people here are talking about. If I have something to say on the topic I say it.

It's as simple as that, yes.

As for what percentage is learning and what percentage is talking, I haven't the slightest. I might read something interesting, perhaps something amusing or occasionally something that causes me to think about something. I might say something interesting, amusing or maybe I might get somebody to think about something. It all depends on the topic of a given thread, what other people have said and what I have to say.

Although... there is only one of me, and there are many more posts I read than posts I make. So I guess I learn more than I say here, by sheer weight of so many other people posting on this forum. =^.^=

Now if the question is of INTENT... I didn't come here to learn or to talk. I came to find out what people are talking about. Whether I learn or talk depends on what I find when I get to the forum.

Feb 7, 2015
You would be a rare one, then. It seems to me most people here want to tell others what to believe.
Some. But others only believe they "KNOW" the promises of Jesus.... NOT the massive amounts of guaranteed knowledge so many claim on just about any subject in the Bible..... especially the "end times."

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
Both. I have some that feed me others are idiots. I'm sure I type because it feeds some kind of ego. Who do I think I am anyway!?! Either way it is fun to atleast some point....

T

Tinuviel

What about spiritual things, though? I tend to have fixed beliefs. I doubt very much that a stranger online will convince me to believe things contrary to my own beliefs. People could argue with me all day and all night, and I would still not believe abortion is fine for any reason, for example.
I have had my idea of spiritual things altered. Not usually turned around, just grown or switched a little bit. Of course, you have to be firmly anchored in the Bible first. That way you know the truth, and can distinguish the truth from the lies. But God doesn't work only through people on their own. He works through families and groups of believers. So it is important for me to hear what my brothers and sisters are saying to me, and to test it against scripture to see if it is right. Sometimes, a sibling in Christ can tell me about a blind spot in my life or doctrine that I wouldn't of seen in 1,000 years! I think it is important to be firmly grounded in the Bible, and yet still sensitive to what people are saying...if that makes sense?

Y

Yahweh_is_gracious

I'm not sure why I'm here. I like to follow along with some of the threads in the BDF to see what I can learn, but I'm not going to participate in those kinds of discussions.

For posting, I like to throw my pennies into the pot most of the time. I tend to get hackles up on people no matter what, so I've been cutting down my posting quite a lot, but it still isn't doing me any good. I'm here though until I get banned, so buckle up.

Innerfire89

Aug 23, 2017
I'm teachable, but I'm pretty convinced of what I already believe. I'm here to socialize, debate and share what I believe is true and edifying.

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
I've often wondered why I am here, too. Must agree with Bill -probably more into reading and a little talk. I'm curious how people answer questions. After awhile, I can almost predict. I don't read postings that have a page of scripture to wade through. Most of the time just a few bible verses can suffice.

S

Susanna

I'm here to socialize with other morons than myself.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Greetings unteachable! I have never heard that one before, but I perceive by the tone of your post that you are someone who is in this way to learn and share.

I came in here years ago in the spirit of sharing and perhaps, only perhaps, being shared with.

AT first I was rather adamant, but in a very short time I was seeing my own error and relizing many things I thought I knew were being shown to me again in the bright light that is Jesus christ.

It was a wonderful realization, and I continue, I believe, with this new attitude given me by the family in Christ......

When or if I should ound harsh or adamant now, it is out of love and not wanting people in darkness, especially when I see peoplewho seem to be condemning others, or simply making up their own doctrines.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is for all, not some...........God bless all in Jesus Christ, amen.

I am very curious about people’s attitudes toward the benefits of this site. On more than one occasion, I have been told here that I do not have a teachable spirit. I find it kind of surprising, as I don’t post here to learn anything, but to talk. No offense, but if I want to learn, I can read the Bible for myself. I come here because I am lonely and want to talk.

So, my question is this- are you here to learn or here to talk?

Yes, I know the two are not mutually exclusive. But, there must be a primary reason why people are talking to strangers online.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
When somebody talks about saying what he/she thinks without really caring if it offends somebody:

:rolleyes:

Yeraza_Bats

Dec 11, 2014
When somebody talks about saying what he/she thinks without really caring if it offends somebody:

:rolleyes:
Someone being offended isnt always a good reason to not say something. There are people who are offended by things that are true.

Look at how many people in the world today claim its wrong to say that abortion is wrong. The fact that they claim offense to it is not a reason to keep quiet about it.

This being a forum for a serious topic, youre gonna have these kinds of conversations. I mean this isnt a forum for like video games or tv shows.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Someone being offended isnt always a good reason to not say something. There are people who are offended by things that are true.

Look at how many people in the world today claim its wrong to say that abortion is wrong. The fact that they claim offense to it is not a reason to keep quiet about it.

This being a forum for a serious topic, youre gonna have these kinds of conversations. I mean this isnt a forum for like video games or tv shows.
True, this is. But we do have a few people who seem to almost take delight in the fact they unintentionally tick people off.

Yeraza_Bats

Dec 11, 2014
True, this is. But we do have a few people who seem to almost take delight in the fact they unintentionally tick people off.
Sadly, Ive been there before. I remember one "debate" I had with a member who talked as if I knew nothing and accused me of being a trumpeter for Fox News (which I dont even watch btw : p). I let myself get angry and take pride in the fact that I could prove him wrong, so much that I rubbed his nose into it.

Ive definitely found myself being a bully here before, and had to take time away to turn myself around from such behavior.

G

Galatea

Greetings unteachable! I have never heard that one before, but I perceive by the tone of your post that you are someone who is in this way to learn and share.

I came in here years ago in the spirit of sharing and perhaps, only perhaps, being shared with.

AT first I was rather adamant, but in a very short time I was seeing my own error and relizing many things I thought I knew were being shown to me again in the bright light that is Jesus christ.

It was a wonderful realization, and I continue, I believe, with this new attitude given me by the family in Christ......

When or if I should ound harsh or adamant now, it is out of love and not wanting people in darkness, especially when I see peoplewho seem to be condemning others, or simply making up their own doctrines.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is for all, not some...........God bless all in Jesus Christ, amen.
That is too kind, I really am not here to learn anything. I am pretty well entrenched in what I believe.

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
I don't have a direct answer, i just do what i do.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I try to walk the talk on this site so I guess the answer is a little of both.