Men Can't Vacuum, Put the Seat Down, or Wash the Dishes.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Mammachickadee

I think this post says it all. Men are good people. They just don't know how to do things.
Don't know how? There's involuntary ignorance, and there's willful ignorance. As many dishes as a man uses he should figure out that they have to come clean somehow. Even a basic knowledge of the science of boiling water and sterilization is a better use of one's mind than thoughts of apathy. However, if you wish women to come to the consensus that men are stupid creatures who are incapable of much usefulness around the house at all go right ahead and feign inability and ignorance. Then you won't even get to show off your muscles when the Prego jar needs openning.
I have faith that the man who takes a job as a dishwasher and finds honor in the work because he actually has a JOB is no less a man than the one who shouts from the counter for a sandwich.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 19, 2009
Don't know how? There's involuntary ignorance, and there's willful ignorance. As many dishes as a man uses he should figure out that they have to come clean somehow. Even a basic knowledge of the science of boiling water and sterilization is a better use of one's mind than thoughts of apathy. However, if you wish women to come to the consensus that men are stupid creatures who are incapable of much usefulness around the house at all go right ahead and feign inability and ignorance. Then you won't even get to show off your muscles when the Prego jar needs openning.
I have faith that the man who takes a job as a dishwasher and finds honor in the work because he actually has a JOB is no less a man than the one who shouts from the counter for a sandwich.
(Well, actually I do dishes and vacuum. Just trying to have some fun.) Do you have a Prego jar you need opened?

T

Tintin

I can do all of those things, except work on an engine (or other handyman-type activities).

M

Mammachickadee

(Well, actually I do dishes and vacuum. Just trying to have some fun.) Do you have a Prego jar you need opened?
When I had the luxury I did. I did figure out, though, that if you smack the butt of the jar several times in your palm the seal will easily break. A little trick my husband taught me when he got too tired of my bringing jars to him. lol Incidentally, to this day he still hums and ho's whenever I rope him into helping in the kitchen. Occasionally, though, he will decide to surprise me by starting right in on the dishes without even so much as a "do you need help".

Dec 19, 2009
When I had the luxury I did. I did figure out, though, that if you smack the butt of the jar several times in your palm the seal will easily break. A little trick my husband taught me when he got too tired of my bringing jars to him. lol Incidentally, to this day he still hums and ho's whenever I rope him into helping in the kitchen. Occasionally, though, he will decide to surprise me by starting right in on the dishes without even so much as a "do you need help".
You trust him with the dishes? I broke a glass a couple of weeks ago.

U

Ugly

Actually, i vacuum so well my last girlfriend was jealous. As a kid one of my chores was vacuuming.
I grew up washing dishes as well, and do quite a good job at it.
And my toilet seat is always down.
I was also taught to iron when i was young. I'm not great at it as i don't really wear things that need it, but i can at least get it done if need be.
So much for those stereotypes.

M

Mammachickadee

You trust him with the dishes? I broke a glass a couple of weeks ago.
My opinion as the pregnant mother of a 3 year old is "better a glass than my back". I will admit freely that my least favorite household duty is washing the dishes. His stepping in with this service is a godsent.

T

Tintin

I don't enjoy washing glass objects. They sometimes shatter in my hands and cut open my hand/fingers.

A

arwen83

Two things I hate: doing the dishes and taking out the garbage. I will gladly clean the bathroom instead of those two.

R

RonnieT

For the same reason a women can't pull the dip stick out of engine to check oil levels and never checks to see if there's enough water to keep the engine cool

R

RonnieT

For the same reason a women can't pull the dip stick out of engine to check oil levels and never checks to see if there's enough water to keep the engine cool :-]. Unfortunatly as a single dad I have to wash up, hoover and as I have 3 daughters the toilet seat must go down . My youngest has fallen in a few times

D

Donkeyfish07

Two things I hate: doing the dishes and taking out the garbage. I will gladly clean the bathroom instead of those two.
Well Arwen, I think we have ourselves a deal.

toilet-brush-curved.jpg

S

Shouryu

When I was in the Royal Rangers growing up (a church-based scouting program), one of the merits was the Bachelor Merit. I had to be able to cook several different meals (using a stove or an oven, not a microwave); demonstrate the ability to launder, iron, and starch my uniform; sew on a button; and do dishes by hand. I earned that when I was 12, I think.

I know the thread is tongue-in-cheek, and I'm spoiling it by being serious, but I'll level with the ladies here: when men live alone for a significant amount of time, or even with a roommate who thinks much like he does...it's not that he CAN'T do certain things, it's that he doesn't, because he doesn't see the point when there's no one else to please. If it pleases his woman that the clean laundry be folded/hung neatly in the dresser/closet, then he will do it (although likely, with some prodding). If there is no one around who cares, and he doesn't particularly care...clean clothes in this pile, dirty clothes in that pile. And every person is different - I do hang my clothes right from the dryer, because I'm one of the few teachers on campus who makes an effort to look professional every day, and a fitted dress shirt is still going to look like garbage if it looks like a crumpled up Taco Bell receipt. But the passenger seat of the Shourmobile tends to stay a little cluttered until I know I'm going to have a passenger riding it it. Every one is different.

When I was co-habitating, I hated cleaning the bathroom (still do). But I never balked at doing the dishes. For me, doing the dishes (and sometimes ironing) is like a calming meditation. I'm not talking about loading the dishwasher - I mean in the sink, by hand. No background sounds - no TV, music, whatever. Just me and the sink, and my hands getting the job done right. And you look up 20, 30, maybe 45 minutes later, the job is done, and you just feel...peaceful. ^_^

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Thanks for all the great answers... I've really been enjoying them and hope that people will continue to contribute (I'm going to be looking for a picture of the chrome Stormtrooper uniform. If it comes in platinum... :D)

This thread is, of course, meant to be the male counterpart to Stillwaters' "Why Can't Women..." thread. Thanks for playing along, everyone. :)

And, I'm glad to see that many of our great guys here would definitely conquer a season of "Survivor: The Housework Edition." ;) If a man vacuumed, cleaned the bathroom, and did the dishes for me... He is most definitely worthy of a good sandwich!! :) (I'd even throw in chips, something to drink, and dessert.)

DuchessAimee

Apr 27, 2011
I think there are certain things that men have to do.

1) Kill any bug or arachnid that invades the house.

2) Take out the trash in a timely manner.

3) Beat up the bad guys.

4) Carry heavy things.

I'm pretty sure those are in the bible somewhere. As for all the other things in life, those can be negotiated. :D

Dec 19, 2009
Actually, i vacuum so well my last girlfriend was jealous. As a kid one of my chores was vacuuming.
I grew up washing dishes as well, and do quite a good job at it.
And my toilet seat is always down.
I was also taught to iron when i was young. I'm not great at it as i don't really wear things that need it, but i can at least get it done if need be.
So much for those stereotypes.
Do you take out the trash?

I bought an iron and ironing board and then got rid of them. I keep the dryer from getting too hot, and get my important stuff out right away, so things don't wrinkle too much.