Men,Do You Appreciate Your Wives?!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

kaylagrl

So I know this doesn't apply to the married men here on CC.:) But I saw this posted on FB and thought it might bring up some interesting discussion...

1505616_762081457139247_1450745917_n.jpg

Please keep the discussion to what is said in the picture. I dont watch Duck Dynasty,if you do thats great. But I dont want a discussion about the tv family! I want to hear how you feel about what the picture says. Please do not derail the thread.

Feb 7, 2015
Too bad you don't watch the show, because "family" is really the underlying theme of everything they do.

K

kaylagrl

Too bad you don't watch the show, because "family" is really the underlying theme of everything they do.

I have nothing against them,just seemed more of a mans show to me.But I have watched them say grace at the table and have seen them interviewed on various programs. I appreciate that they stand up for what they believe in.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
I at one time, early in our 25 yr relationship, had the absurd thought that, as the Tom Petty song goes, "You got lucky babe when I found you". WOW!!!! Is the exact opposite true!! The Lord blessed me, and gave the perfect woman that I needed!

So yes, I truly appreciate my wife.

G

Galahad

I do appreciate my wife.
My wife also appreciates me.

The remarks in the picture are one sided. Okay, husbands should appreciate their wives. No doubt about it. But that's going to have to come through an understanding of God's plan. It won't necessarily be achieved by an in your face manner, as in: "Look what your wife has done for you, Jack!"

My wife and I understand our roles and our responsibilities and that they are God appointed. In no way does my wife regret her leaving her parents, nor do I regret leaving my parents and being united with my wife. Family is of God. An expression of God Himself.

What did I say wrong? No matter how hard I try to emphasize the positive aspects of God's plan and design for man and woman, I know there's an arrow heading my way.
:eek:

Last edited:
K

kaylagrl

I do appreciate my wife.
My wife also appreciates me.

The remarks in the picture are one sided. Okay, husbands should appreciate their wives. No doubt about it. But that's going to have to come through an understanding of God's plan. It won't necessarily be achieved by an in your face manner, as in: "Look what your wife has done for you, Jack!"

My wife and I understand our roles and our responsibilities and that they are God appointed. In no way does my wife regret her leaving her parents, nor do I regret leaving my parents and being united with my wife. Family is of God. An expression of God Himself.

What did I say wrong? No matter how hard I try to emphasize the positive aspects of God's plan and design for man and woman, I know there's an arrow heading my way.
:eek:

No,no thats good,I want discussion! I'll give my opinion after a while.See which way the wind blows. ahahahha

N

nw2u

"A lot of men act like they are doing a woman a favour by asking for her hand in marriage but let's think about this:

She changes her name.

Changes her home.

Leaves her family.

Moves in with you.

Gets pregnant for you.

Bears children for you.

Pregnancy destroys her body.

She gets fat.

Almost give up in the labor room due to the unexplainable pain.

Even the kids she devilers bear your name.

Till the day she dies everything she does benefits you so

who is really doing who a favor?

Jack, appreciate your wife today because it is not easy to be a woman."

This woman should not be married to anyone. Her husband should not be married to anyone either(not talking about the guy from duck dynasty. talking about these fictional spouses in this example) Why? Because they never communicated before marriage about what they wanted out of it and their lives.

If everything she does is for him, she will never be happy. She must be happy. She must do things she likes. She must want to do those things and know what the major consequences will be for her choices. He must do the same.

No one is doing anyone a favor. They each must accept responsibility for their actions/decisions. This is why it is so important to educate yourself, know yourself, and learn how to communicate before marriage is ever proposed. These two could have saved themselves a great deal of trouble.

The time to learn and choose the best path is before marriage, not after. No one can know what will happen. No one can know everything, and we all change over time. We can learn about the responsibilities of marriage, child birth, parenting and codependence before marriage. No, we won't know everything, but we will have a much better chance of not becoming bitter with our spouse over the choices we've made. This goes for both husband and wife.

There are lots more issues here than this. This scenario is based upon one spouse's arrogance and disgust with the other because they are not worthy of them. I'm not saying it's one gender or the other that does it most. It's both who do it.

Husbands must appreciate their wives by taking action and helping them. Husbands must court them throughout the marriage and fight the natural instinct to sit on the couch and be waited on. Your wife is not your maid and mother.

Neither is the husband a meal ticket, the boyfriend you rejected for him, or the guy you met when you were out. Your husband has responsibilities and he must balance them, just as you. Neither of you can be everything or perfect. When we expect that and start comparing instead of showing our spouses we love them and respect them for the woman/man they are, we help to kill our desire for each other and the life we worked so hard to have.

What example would that set for the children? How will they deal with this when their brains aren't even fully developed until they are in their twenties?

Kayla, I understand you believe wives should be appreciated more, and I agree. They deserve respect. They deserve to be loved, feel protected, feel safe, and feel desired. I guess it is me. I see so much more in that caption than just the obvious. I wish I could have walked away from this thread, but I couldn't. My choice.

G

Galahad

So I know this doesn't apply to the married men here on CC.:) But I saw this posted on FB and thought it might bring up some interesting discussion...

View attachment 135989

A lot of men...That's an assumption
by asking her hand...cliché. I asked her to be my wife, to share with me, to help me, as I pledged to do for her
Let's think about this...Let's is Let US. But seems only ONE of the US was doing the thinking.
She changes her name...She takes a name. She accepts it. It reflects being one, united.
Leaves her family...Would she not leave if she wasn't married? She leaves her mom and dad, but joins her husband.
Moves in with you...Or maybe he moves with her.
Builds a home with you...Right. Both together.
Gets pregnant for you...Husbands and wives unite in the flesh and one reason is out of love and that leads to life. The woman I know loves her children!
Destroys her body...No it doesn't. It changes her body. Ain't seen a change I didn't like. So there. Whoever you are. Idiot.
She gets fat...Of course. That's part of pregnancy.
Labor pain...I hate that. It is the pain of birthing. Women are strong.
Kids she delivers bear your name...Our name.
Everything she does benefits you...Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, it's a labor of love. And works both ways. But you're (Whoever you are!) the one keeping score. Not me.
Jack!...My name's not Jack. You Foooooool! You MORON! You feminist!
Appreciate your wife...Don't tell me what to do in my relationship with my wife.
Today...No. I will appreciate my wife always.
Because it's not easy to be a woman...No. I appreciate her first and foremost because she Loves the Lord and serves Him first.

I could easily turn the tables on the original remarks with: Wives appreciate your husbands.
But I won't. It would only promote the error and the corrupt thinking and mindset reflected in the remarks. Poor attitude.

K

kaylagrl

"A lot of men act like they are doing a woman a favour by asking for her hand in marriage but let's think about this:

She changes her name.

Changes her home.

Leaves her family.

Moves in with you.

Gets pregnant for you.

Bears children for you.

Pregnancy destroys her body.

She gets fat.

Almost give up in the labor room due to the unexplainable pain.

Even the kids she devilers bear your name.

Till the day she dies everything she does benefits you so

who is really doing who a favor?

Jack, appreciate your wife today because it is not easy to be a woman."

This woman should not be married to anyone. Her husband should not be married to anyone either(not talking about the guy from duck dynasty. talking about these fictional spouses in this example) Why? Because they never communicated before marriage about what they wanted out of it and their lives.

If everything she does is for him, she will never be happy. She must be happy. She must do things she likes. She must want to do those things and know what the major consequences will be for her choices. He must do the same.

No one is doing anyone a favor. They each must accept responsibility for their actions/decisions. This is why it is so important to educate yourself, know yourself, and learn how to communicate before marriage is ever proposed. These two could have saved themselves a great deal of trouble.

The time to learn and choose the best path is before marriage, not after. No one can know what will happen. No one can know everything, and we all change over time. We can learn about the responsibilities of marriage, child birth, parenting and codependence before marriage. No, we won't know everything, but we will have a much better chance of not becoming bitter with our spouse over the choices we've made. This goes for both husband and wife.

There are lots more issues here than this. This scenario is based upon one spouse's arrogance and disgust with the other because they are not worthy of them. I'm not saying it's one gender or the other that does it most. It's both who do it.

Husbands must appreciate their wives by taking action and helping them. Husbands must court them throughout the marriage and fight the natural instinct to sit on the couch and be waited on. Your wife is not your maid and mother.

Neither is the husband a meal ticket, the boyfriend you rejected for him, or the guy you met when you were out. Your husband has responsibilities and he must balance them, just as you. Neither of you can be everything or perfect. When we expect that and start comparing instead of showing our spouses we love them and respect them for the woman/man they are, we help to kill our desire for each other and the life we worked so hard to have.

What example would that set for the children? How will they deal with this when their brains aren't even fully developed until they are in their twenties?

Kayla, I understand you believe wives should be appreciated more, and I agree. They deserve respect. They deserve to be loved, feel protected, feel safe, and feel desired. I guess it is me. I see so much more in that caption than just the obvious. I wish I could have walked away from this thread, but I couldn't. My choice.

Actually I haven't given my opinion yet. I just want to hear what other people think.I'll save my thoughts for later.

N

nw2u

Actually I haven't given my opinion yet. I just want to hear what other people think.I'll save my thoughts for later.
I'll be impatiently awaiting your opinions of what you posted in the OP.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I'm not married -

so I just have to appreciate other mens' wives.

Wait... that didn't come out right.

G

Galahad

I'm not married -

You loved Desperate Housewives? The series. The series of shows, not the series of women.:eek:

G

Galahad

You know, it's kinda like Christ and the church. He sacrificed all for the church. But does He rub it in, "Look what I've done for you. You need to..."? Of course not. But He does remind us of what He did as an example to follow. To have the same love He has for the church. We love Him because He first loved us.

The remarks in the picture are more of "Look what she's done for you. Now appreciate her!" Not the best or right way to get others to agree with the argument being made.

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
I'm not married -

I was thinking the same thing but I have the wisdom not to say it!

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
The statement in that graphic of the original post, comes across as if it was written by a feminist who has been treated badly by a man.

This world is broken, humans seem to treat others with hate more than love. A Christian marriage should be bullet proof, but of course being on front line is under attack even more, so we still see plenty of casualties in Christian marriages, however there is the advantage of having God and Christ as role model and of course the marriage itself is an image of the church, that is a huge difference between a non-Christian couple trying to make a marriage work.
I appreciated my wife, I loved her unconditionally, devoted time to her and did all the right things, but she still ended up thinking she could have a better life with someone else and left me. My point here that its not just women who are victims of uncaring attitudes and treatment.

A

atwhatcost

View attachment 135989

Please keep the discussion to what is said in the picture. I dont watch Duck Dynasty,if you do thats great. But I dont want a discussion about the tv family! I want to hear how you feel about what the picture says. Please do not derail the thread.
Warning: Wife chiming in here.

Hubby and I joke around. We both agree I'm a cheap date. (I'd always order the cheapest meal on the menu and, at times ,just went for a soda, if he offered to pay for dinner. It was just what I felt like having at the moment. Even now our date-nights usually consist of watching a movie through Netflix or Amazon plus a snack of some kind. Seems perfect to me, but I really am still a cheap date. lol)

I really can't say I'm THAT wife. I already lived on my own, so already wasn't moving away from family.

He probably would have moved into my apartment when we got married, but I was already moving out before we got married. (My landlord changed the terms. Originally, he paid the heat. The he stripped out the radiators and added 8 feet of copper piping to heat a room big enough to be my living room, dining room --complete with table big enough to seat eight people -- kitchen and office, plus a ten foot high ceiling. And another eight feet of copper pipes to heat my bedroom which was the same size as the room I just described. The previous winter, I could literally see my breath in my own home. The thermostat only went down to 50 degrees, but no matter how high I set it it never moved above that 50 degree mark. SEVEN blankets and two sets of pajamas at night and I was still freezing. It's a wonder I didn't die. That bad.) The only thing that changed was we chose our next apartment together, and he chipped in for the rent before he moved in. (Got the apartment in August. Got married in October.) So he moved in with me anyway.

No kids. So, nothing to do with any of the problems of having kids, although he never seemed to notice I got fat minus having kids.

And, yes, I changed my last name. Then again my name shortened from 10 letters to 8 letters, and more people can pronounce this name right the first time when they read it. So, it worked out great on my end. Only thing now is people assume I'm Polish because of my last name. Well, after 35 years with him and we both learned about Polish foods together, I figure we're probably both as Polish as we'll ever be. (He still has every single Polish joke memorized. I only remember two. lol)

Meanwhile, he got the wife that hates doing housework or cooking (unless it's making desserts.) He makes dinner. Yippee! And we divde housework by which one hates it the most. (I hate vacuuming the most, so he vacuums. He hates doing bills, so I do bills. I can't lug clothes around, but can fold, so he lugs and I fold. Neither one of us hates doing dishes so whoever thinks to do them first does dishes that day. lol)

He got stuck with the pipe-dream schemer. (I worked when I could, but always had a scheme to make more money on the side -- Amway, a diet drink, start my own secretarial services/resume' writing/desktop marketing business, make clothes for teddy bears to sell them, and "write a novel.") He supported/supports me each time.

All in all, I think I got the great deal in this one! He did me the great favor. (I still don't know why.)

A

atwhatcost

The statement in that graphic of the original post, comes across as if it was written by a feminist who has been treated badly by a man.

This world is broken, humans seem to treat others with hate more than love. A Christian marriage should be bullet proof, but of course being on front line is under attack even more, so we still see plenty of casualties in Christian marriages, however there is the advantage of having God and Christ as role model and of course the marriage itself is an image of the church, that is a huge difference between a non-Christian couple trying to make a marriage work.
I appreciated my wife, I loved her unconditionally, devoted time to her and did all the right things, but she still ended up thinking she could have a better life with someone else and left me. My point here that its not just women who are victims of uncaring attitudes and treatment.
Pssst, See the guy in the photo? That's the guy that wrote the statement. I'm pretty sure he's not a man-hating feminist. lol

I'm seeing a husband properly trained by his wife. (Then again, I've never watched Duck Dynasty, so know nothing about their wives. I've seen the guys on talk shows on occasion, but I'm not even sure if they are married.)

Did I just become a man-hating feminist by laughing at how much effort wives put in to properly training hubbies? (If it sounds like that, my biggest issue with hubby was to train him to put his dirty clothes in one particular place -- doesn't have to be the hamper, but CAN'T be in the same place as his clean clothes. lol)

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
Well there is nothing to credit the person who that is quoting.

I grow tired of reading all time about women training husbands, women not being treated right, women must be respected, women this woman that, and 3 bags full.

If there was an alien race monitoring our culture they would think that marriage is a conflict, not a loving caring relationship.

I hate being single by the way. I want a wife, I still feel lost without a wife.