Modest is Hottest

• Thread starter ChristianGirlLivingLife
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
It's funny, Adam and Eve didn't have problem with nakedness before the fall. It's a shame we can't enjoy the beauty of God's creation without turning it into something sinful. Having said that, I'm all for modesty until I'm raised incorruptible.

J

joem789

This discussion should easily lead to what Jesus stated about cutting off your hand to keep it from sinning. For it is better to lose a hand than to lose a whole body cast into Hell.

Clearly there is a point here. There are no excuses for Sinning. And there are also no excuses for leading others to Sin. Women should consider how their half naked bodies affect others. While of course at the same time, men should consider the consequences of looking upon them.

Sounds to me like the best thing to do is not go swimming unless you are with a member of the same sex. Men and women not swimming together unless they are married. That would solve the problem. It's better than "not cutting off the hand and ending up in Hell".

I look at the video above as just another way to use Christianity to promote a business. American has been taunted as the country that uses it that way, with all its TV evangelism and more.

The swimsuit trends we saw going back in time were just a gradual removal of modesty. We can't create a new sense of modesty out of them. There is more that defines modesty than appearance. It is behaviors and circumstances. Remember when we were taught that if a man and woman are in a situation that "might" lead others to draw false conclusions, that it is bad? The same applies here. A woman should never be in a situation where ANY false conclusions may be drawn. And every time I see a girl walking on a beach in a swimsuit, I draw conclusions. There is ZERO modesty on walking around half naked. That's in EVERY single case unless its a woman doing it for her husband IN PRIVATE. People just look for excuses to make the world whatever they want it to be.

Oct 18, 2011
I remember as a kid, I use to watch these shows were, when the girl would accidentally show the skin of her arms, it was nudity, (all guys would stare.)

Misty77

Aug 30, 2013
My sisters and I have been bombarded with the condemnation of the hyper-modesty crowd for decades. We were made to feel that our bodies were shameful, apt to make innocent men "stumble" if we are not vigilant in hiding our inherited curves. These "godly" men were more concerned with our unintentional sexuality than with our souls.

The problem with this mindset is that it puts the responsibility of another person's morality onto one gender. That is not a burden that we were meant to bear. Men are not animals that if they see a bit of cleavage, they can't help but pounce. They are not helpless bystanders. A woman's body was designed primarily to bear God's image, secondly to bear children. When we make modesty the priority, the message is that a woman's body is to pleasure men, first and foremost. If men spent more time viewing women as sisters and mothers, they would spend a lot less time objectifying them.

By all means, one should dress and behave respectfully and appropriately for the situation. But remember that behind that miniskirt is a woman who is loved by the Lord. I can almost guarantee that if you care for her soul, then her hemline will fall into place. That's because when we are complete in the Lord, we don't need to try to get attention elsewhere. Maybe that's not exactly as long as you would like it to be, but modesty is a relative concept. And with the Holy Spirit leading her and some Christian mentors lovingly guiding her, this woman can let the love of Christ be what you notice about her, instead of the curves he gave her.

P

Pilgrim

modesty is best and if one loves the Lord and His will and message is most important, than she will have no desire to wear things that draw attention but will instead want God`s light to shine brighter than herself. People pay too much attention to what they wear and how they look when God says not to do so. We are not to conform but humble ourselves to the Lord in all ways. I have often wondered what the world would be like without mirrors

just_monicat

Jan 1, 2014
My sisters and I have been bombarded with the condemnation of the hyper-modesty crowd for decades. We were made to feel that our bodies were shameful, apt to make innocent men "stumble" if we are not vigilant in hiding our inherited curves. These "godly" men were more concerned with our unintentional sexuality than with our souls.

The problem with this mindset is that it puts the responsibility of another person's morality onto one gender. That is not a burden that we were meant to bear. Men are not animals that if they see a bit of cleavage, they can't help but pounce. They are not helpless bystanders. A woman's body was designed primarily to bear God's image, secondly to bear children. When we make modesty the priority, the message is that a woman's body is to pleasure men, first and foremost. If men spent more time viewing women as sisters and mothers, they would spend a lot less time objectifying them.

By all means, one should dress and behave respectfully and appropriately for the situation. But remember that behind that miniskirt is a woman who is loved by the Lord. I can almost guarantee that if you care for her soul, then her hemline will fall into place. That's because when we are complete in the Lord, we don't need to try to get attention elsewhere. Maybe that's not exactly as long as you would like it to be, but modesty is a relative concept. And with the Holy Spirit leading her and some Christian mentors lovingly guiding her, this woman can let the love of Christ be what you notice about her, instead of the curves he gave her.
beautifully and brilliantly said.

especially in this world, modesty isn't an easy concept for a new christian.

as a new christian, i went from one extreme to the other, and then back to somewhere else.

tuning out the world, the confusing and misleading messages many of us were raised by, the external influence of legalists and other church people in favor of the truth and message of worth, love, and grace takes time and growth.

modesty for modesty's sake means nothing.

Feb 21, 2014

I would agree in principle with the idea of modesty and with the importance of inward and spiritual cultivation.

A modest and quiet spirit is first and foremost an inward and spiritual matter.

What I struggle with is that conservative people with loud opinions should control other people's definitions of what is appropriate and modest.

The fact is that a women, let's say aged 31 in 1965 when many skirts were thigh-length, would now be aged 80: that is, someone's beloved great-grandmother. People just need to be a bit careful before 'running their mouths' about what people ought not to wear.

Blessings.

MollyKing

Jul 10, 2018
I teach swim at a Christian school. The school code requires modest bathing suits for the girls and boys. They wear full body lycra costumes that run from the ankle to the top of the shoulders. Boys and girls wear bathing caps that identify them by gender. Parents can elect single gender or mixed swimming class.

Jul 6, 2018
Some of these are cute vintage suits! I prefer the bikin (they can be modest, I’m not talking string Brazilian style). These are better for curvy girls. I’ve yet to find a one piece that looks good on me and not make me look like a rectangle with legs.

Jul 7, 2018
This will be a debate. Just like the other modesty threads. Usually its a woman that resents the idea that they should have to think at all about what they wear and that those dirty dogs with no self control (men) should just learn to control themselves so women can wear anything they want, no matter how revealing. Thats usually how it starts.
Well, we all get to choose. Personally, I would not choose a woman who showed her body more than her heart. Same with a dirty dog man. Those guys are easy. Just stay away. The dirty dog girls tempt guys too. For me it is easy. If you look like you care more about your body than your heart and other's hearts you are not my friend.

L

littlechelley

I dress modestly and my husband expects me to. He would have an absolute fit if I went out of the house looking like most women do. He has actually criticized me hard if I sit down in church and my dress comes up above my knees. Yet he turns his head and looks at every scantily clad woman that walks by. He literally has said to me "it doesn't hurt to look". It hurts me. He tells me I'm beautiful, we have a good intimate relationship, we get along good. I'm no victoria secret model, but I'm attractive, so I don't understand why he wants to look. He looks up images on his phone of every celebrity and zooms in on them. He has made comments about some being "hot". He has backed off on this because I've told him it hurts my feelings, but he still does it. He's just sneaky about it. It makes me wonder what all he really looks at on his stupid phone. My adult daughter tells me he's just being a guy and that all men do it. I've heard that from so many women. So sickening and sad. I feel like I'm expected to just accept this as normal and deal with it.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
This discussion should easily lead to what Jesus stated about cutting off your hand to keep it from sinning. For it is better to lose a hand than to lose a whole body cast into Hell.

Clearly there is a point here. There are no excuses for Sinning. And there are also no excuses for leading others to Sin. Women should consider how their half naked bodies affect others. While of course at the same time, men should consider the consequences of looking upon them.

Sounds to me like the best thing to do is not go swimming unless you are with a member of the same sex. Men and women not swimming together unless they are married. That would solve the problem. It's better than "not cutting off the hand and ending up in Hell".

I look at the video above as just another way to use Christianity to promote a business. American has been taunted as the country that uses it that way, with all its TV evangelism and more.

The swimsuit trends we saw going back in time were just a gradual removal of modesty. We can't create a new sense of modesty out of them. There is more that defines modesty than appearance. It is behaviors and circumstances. Remember when we were taught that if a man and woman are in a situation that "might" lead others to draw false conclusions, that it is bad? The same applies here. A woman should never be in a situation where ANY false conclusions may be drawn. And every time I see a girl walking on a beach in a swimsuit, I draw conclusions. There is ZERO modesty on walking around half naked. That's in EVERY single case unless its a woman doing it for her husband IN PRIVATE. People just look for excuses to make the world whatever they want it to be.

What about guys with a six pack,...are they allowed to go shirtless or withso muscle shirts according to your thinking?

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
This modesty talk makes me fee like I am in a sharia chat.
Its different from culture to culture and mindsetI to mindset.
If I wanna go out with a belly free top,,i will...im not gonns stop doing, something just because its not someones liking.
We can then also start debating that woman HAVE TO HAVE long hair to be modesta and feminine. Nope not my cup of tea.
Why are people making such a cult out of this and wont deal withwith themselves instead

J

Jennie-Mae

This modesty talk makes me fee like I am in a sharia chat.
Its different from culture to culture and mindsetI to mindset.
If I wanna go out with a belly free top,,i will...im not gonns stop doing, something just because its not someones liking.
We can then also start debating that woman HAVE TO HAVE long hair to be modesta and feminine. Nope not my cup of tea.
Why are people making such a cult out of this and wont deal withwith themselves instead
I agree.

Looks like a whole lotta folks can’t wrap their head around the fact that women don’t necessarily intend to be Miss Scantily Clad whenever putting on a nice dress and some makeup.

To me that’s a way of mixing colors, styles etc to sort of be expressing myself in a creative way. It ain’t got nothing to do with being immodest. Yet some closet sharia folks can’t wait to put their intolerance on full display every time they accidentally see a woman not wearing a burka. Too bad many of them are so called Christians.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
for myself, I believe as a christian woman, I'm responsible to dress AND act modestly, all with the help of the Holy Spirit. I believe modesty begins with character. some women can be covered head to toe and still have an immodest heart.

I believe a christian man is responsible, with the help of the Holy Spirit, to control his eyes and thoughts.

now, if this isn't what we are talking about, well.... I still stand by what I said. lol! :ROFL:

C

CandieM

for myself, I believe as a christian woman, I'm responsible to dress AND act modestly, all with the help of the Holy Spirit. I believe modesty begins with character. some women can be covered head to toe and still have an immodest heart.

I believe a christian man is responsible, with the help of the Holy Spirit, to control his eyes and thoughts.

now, if this isn't what we are talking about, well.... I still stand by what I said. lol! :ROFL:
I like that the OP posted a link to a site where I can wear clothes (bathing suits) that are modest. :) Just what I've been pondering lately.

K

Kim82

While everyone may have a different opinion about what it means to dress Modestly. I believe that their are some things that really don't need a debate.

For example: Christian women showing their cleavage or breasts in public. This kind of dressing is not modest, not even at the beach.

A woman's breasts are a private part of her body, and that area, just like the other private areas needs to be covered up.

Women who claim to be Christians have no business dressing in this manner.

As a woman when you dress that way, in what way are you demonstrating that you are God's peculiar people?

It use to be a time when a woman didn't even have to open her mouth and announce to everyone that she's a Christian. She didn't have to. Her manner of dress alone would cause people to know that she's a Christian. Because even the unbelievers know that Christian women are suppose to be modest.

But now Christian women don't want to look like God's peculiar people because it's boring.

We need to stop being hard harted over the issue. Twisting and turning God's word called modesty into something else to suit our flesh. The Bible say the flesh is at enmity with God for it cannot please God.

God is saying one thing but the flesh is saying something else. The flesh wants the sexy clothes.

When I dress my aim is not to be sexy or hot. Infact if anyone accused me of being sexy, I would feel embarrassed. Because that's not my aim.

There is a time and a place for everything. You can dress (or not dress) as you please when you're at home. When you're in public, that's another matter.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
I agree.

Looks like a whole lotta folks can’t wrap their head around the fact that women don’t necessarily intend to be Miss Scantily Clad whenever putting on a nice dress and some makeup.

To me that’s a way of mixing colors, styles etc to sort of be expressing myself in a creative way. It ain’t got nothing to do with being immodest. Yet some closet sharia folks can’t wait to put their intolerance on full display every time they accidentally see a woman not wearing a burka. Too bad many of them are so called Christians.
Sorry that I let my temper out a bit but recently when I see false teaching and nonsenseI like here I just loose it.
Modest bathong suits is the biggest BS I heard in a long time. May we all here start wearing burkinis?
How about stop shaming (weirdly only woman are being focused) bodies of woman.
Everyone knows if u can see the butt cheeks popping out, the shorts are too short.
If u can see all the way to the belly button u should consider a sports bra or tank top under the shirt. Thats normal logic.
If i go to the beach or pool I wear my bikini like, everyone else. If u dont feel comfy in it then get a normal bathing suit but dont condemn people for not being inhibited.
It annoys me

May 19, 2022
Saanich, B.C.
I teach swim at a Christian school. The school code requires modest bathing suits for the girls and boys. They wear full body lycra costumes that run from the ankle to the top of the shoulders. Boys and girls wear bathing caps that identify them by gender. Parents can elect single gender or mixed swimming class.
I guess that when the swimmers are in the water it is difficult to identify girls and boys unless they are wearing different colour swim caps.
Interesting now more and more boys wear full body swimsuits like their sisters.