Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018
I know from my own experience, I have had to forgive people of some things that were very difficult.

As far as what you or I may speculate about hating our brother or sister in Christ, the scripture says this.

• no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. 1 John 3:15

JLB
Hi JLB,
I have also had to forgive persons of very hurtful actions on their part.
The only reason we can forgive is because we know that God requires this of us.
Forgiving is a matter of the will before it becomes a matter of the heart...which may take some time.

I do, however, believe that one could hate at the beginning of the hurtful feelings; especially if one is a new Christian. As he matures and learns he will find it in his heart to forgive.

But what if he doesn't study the bible and does not hear this in church and does not even know taht it's expected of him? I do believe that God judges us on what we know. He cannot hold us responsible for what we do not know.

Also, as one comes to know Jesus better and better, he realizes that forgiveness must be in his heart - even if he never reads the bible. This is what happened to me. I knew instinctively a lot of things that I later learned.

W

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018
Faith leads us to Christ to accept His gift of salvation. Faith such as that is not lost. Faith such as that is what leads us to eternal life, which is promised to all who believe and accept the Lord Jesus Christ
What kind of faith would lead one to become lost if that faith is lost?
How many different types of faith are there?

Jesus said that faith the size of a mustard seed is sufficient to move mountains...
but He also said faith could be temporary.
Luke 8:13

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Hi JLB,
I have also had to forgive persons of very hurtful actions on their part.
The only reason we can forgive is because we know that God requires this of us.
Forgiving is a matter of the will before it becomes a matter of the heart...which may take some time.

I do, however, believe that one could hate at the beginning of the hurtful feelings; especially if one is a new Christian. As he matures and learns he will find it in his heart to forgive.

But what if he doesn't study the bible and does not hear this in church and does not even know taht it's expected of him? I do believe that God judges us on what we know. He cannot hold us responsible for what we do not know.

Also, as one comes to know Jesus better and better, he realizes that forgiveness must be in his heart - even if he never reads the bible. This is what happened to me. I knew instinctively a lot of things that I later learned.

W
To forgive is to set the prisoner free, only to realise that prisoner was you (Lewis B Smedes)

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018
To forgive is to set the prisoner free, only to realise that prisoner was you (Lewis B Smedes)
Very true.
But some don't really understand that forgiveness is a matter of the will.
They think that to forgive means you have to feel it in the heart and that you have to feel love for that person.

This is not true. First we forgive with our will...we WILL to forgive that person and must even pray for them if necessary for our own good.

In time we come to find that when we see them we no longer feel ANYTHING and with time we even come to feel sorry for them. At this point it goes to the heart --- but it may not happen right away.

This false sense of forgiveness being a feeling keeps many from either not forgiving, or being worried that they really have not forgiven.

Sometimes we expect more from ourselves than God expects.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Very true.
But some don't really understand that forgiveness is a matter of the will.
They think that to forgive means you have to feel it in the heart and that you have to feel love for that person.

This is not true. First we forgive with our will...we WILL to forgive that person and must even pray for them if necessary for our own good.

In time we come to find that when we see them we no longer feel ANYTHING and with time we even come to feel sorry for them. At this point it goes to the heart --- but it may not happen right away.

This false sense of forgiveness being a feeling keeps many from either not forgiving, or being worried that they really have not forgiven.

Sometimes we expect more from ourselves than God expects.
When I was leading a group I did a 3 part writing I sent out on forgiveness. I will post one of them because I think it relates to your post above.

Which by the way I think it's spot on.

It is a bit long but will post it and you can read it if you want.

Before in do though I would just like to add to your post concerning love.

It's the same.
We need to realise that love is not a feeling but an act of one's will.
We move from Phileo to Agape. Just like Peter (hope you don't mind me adding that)

Anyway here goes.

Tonight's command is about forgiveness.

Matthew 18:21-22

Parable of the Unforgiving Servant

21 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”

22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.

The Bible has plenty to say about forgiveness. Where the Old Testament focuses mainly on God's forgiveness of individuals or groups, the teachings of Jesus in the Gospels also address how human beings can and should forgive each other.

The word forgive in the bible can be translated as follows.

To send away to send forth, yield up, to expire, to let go, let alone, let be, to disregard, give up a debt, forgive, to remit to give up, keep no longer.

In certain contexts, forgiveness is a legal term for absolving or giving up all claims on account of debt, loan, obligation or other claims.

Psychologists generally define forgiveness as a conscious, deliberate decision to release feelings of resentment or vengeance toward a person or group who has harmed you, regardless of whether they actually deserve your forgiveness.

What is forgiveness?

It is a conscious choice that we make. Whether the person who hurt us apologises or not.

It is a shift in thinking towards someone who has hurt you.

It is letting go of the need for revenge and ill will.

It is choosing to remember no more what has been done to you.

It is acknowledging the pain and hurt you feel and walk in.

It is giving it up to God allowing him the right to take care of justice, his perfect justice.

What forgiveness is not.

It is not reconciliation.

It does not mean you have to restore a relationship.

It is not waiting for an apology before forgiving.

It is not always having to tell someone that we have forgiven them.

It is not just merely forgetting.

Is is not condoning or excusing what has been done.

It's not allowing the offence to recur again and again.

It does not replace justice. If an act against you is criminal you are free to instigate legal justice.

Consequences of unforgiveness.

Unforgiveness is a chain that will wrap itself around you. It will pull tighter and tighter. It will sap the very life out of you. It will make you miserable, angry, resentful. It will affect you health, cause anxiety, which leads to high blood pressure, release chemicals in your body that further increases anxiety, depression along with with physical symptoms of heart palpitations, breathing problems, tingling in your fingers and feet, not being able to sleep, not being able to function. These physical symptoms bring fear that further compound the physical and emotional symptoms.

MORE IMPORTANTLY IT AFFECTS YOUR RELATIONSHIPS, with other people that we have no need to forgive. We can withdraw or guard against friendships, be grumpy, irritable, mistrust and so on.

If it affects our relationships with other people you can guarantee it will affect our relationship with God.

The fact is, in the eyes of God unforgiveness is a sin. It can hinder our prayers, it will hinder our spiritual growth and it will hinder our witness.

Consequences of forgiveness.

First of all it helps with all the health issues mentioned above.

We see relationships with those around us in a different light.

We may see relationships restored.

The above are tangible benefits.

When we repent (make a conscious decision to forgive) of unforgiveness then we feel better about our relationship with God, we feel closer to God, we find it easier to come before him, speak to him, spend time him.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgiveness is a one time event (what I mean is that at some point you choose to give it up) yet dealing with the consequences can be a process.

When we acknowledge the hurt and pain and any other negative emotion, the act of merely forgiving does not necessarily heal the negative aspects that we suffer.

This is where we are to bring it before God and ask him to heal us. These chains God wants to break, to heal, restore to you an inner peace, replace anger with love.

If we have allowed chains to wrap themselves around us they start to loosen when we allow God to work. When our chains are gone then we have FREEDOM.

This is the ultimate consequence and priceless benefit of forgiveness. Forgiveness is not just about better health and life satisfaction. It’s not just an aid for reducing stress and fighting depression. It is about becoming by grace what God is by nature: a person who loves, a person who forgives, a person who cares for the salvation of the entire world, one soul at a time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theologian Lewis Smedes writes, "To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. (Martin Luther King, Jr)

Never forget the three powerful resources you always have available to you: love, prayer, and forgiveness. (H. Jackson Brown, Jr.)

When you forgive, you in no way change the past - but you sure do change the future. (Bernard Meltzer)

To err is human; to forgive, divine. (Alexander Pope)

Footnote:

Secular psychology in the 1980's started to incorporate the principle of forgiveness into counselling. Even in the secular world there is a realisation that forgiveness plays a major part in the lives of those they counsel. So a biblical principle is slowly working its way into the non religious world around us.

They do however focus on the aspect of letting go, it's health benefits and coping mechanisms for anger etc. There are even documented steps to forgiveness programs that they follow.

Where they stop though is the fact then we have a Father who wants to heal pain an hurt. Our Father does not want to give us coping mechanisms he wants to dig it right out of us and replace it pure unadulterated love.

When I have talked to non Christians who struggle with hurt and pain I talk about forgiveness in the secular sense but then say, "Why cope with it when God wants to heal it?

The majority accept the concept of forgiveness but not God healing it (that comes down to faith)

Nevertheless revealing the need to forgive in the first place is the right thing to do.

When Jesus was on the cross he said "Father forgive them, they don't know what they are doing"

A great price had to be paid. I'm sure God and Jesus were hurting and in pain. If anyone has a right to hold our sins against us it is certainly God.

Notice though when we come to God through Jesus he is full of unfailing love for us, he is quick and ready to forgives us of our sins.

He blots them out, red as Crimson now white as snow, he has removed them as far as the East is from the West and he has chosen to REMEMBER THEM NO MORE.

That's perfect forgiveness that we should all aspire to.

That's the perfect forgiveness that God has for us, we should walk in that, believe in it and we should accept it.

Sorry for the long post people but I wanted to put my thoughts out there

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Can anyone let me know how I can receive email from threads that I'm posting on.
I seem to be not getting them for some reason

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
The disease of Calvinism is a bogus as the disease of Spurgeon.
IMO Calvin was one of the finest biblical scholars of all time.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
There is no doubt about the great falling away mentioned by Paul and John. We have homosexuals as pastors, they are removing scripture to allow sin to be accepted, there are seeker friendly churches who are not preaching anything that causes the soul to be concerned about salvation, we see even the Pope merging with religions like the Muslim and others, some bigger churches appear more like a theme park with worldly music than a true House of God, there has been and it's grown even more this dancing with ribbons and flags that have no anointing to it at all.

The representation of God in many churches are nothing but a mockery.

But, the scripture does tell us that there will be an "awakening" before the Tribulation begins, to prepare the Elect. And if what you have copied/pasted is following that sentiment, then it is not actually adding to scripture, but rather confirming that scripture is about to be fulfilled" Which is a big difference than adding.

But nevertheless, I feel it still is something worthy to keep a close eye on. Partially due to the fact, scripture has to be fulfilled, and we definitely are in the last days!!

I attend a non-denominational, conservative evangelical, that teaches Born Again, and the Reality of HELL, which is the Lake of Fire.
Not every large Church of today fits those examples you presented. We do have SOME Churches that are FAITHFUL to the example of the Church at Philadelphia. We do spend MORE TIME TEACHING THE WORD of GOD, than any other part of Service. The Church I attend has one Hour Sermons, expositing the Word of GOD, and only 40 min. to the other parts of the Service.

Here is an Example of Dr. Gil Rugh's Sermons:

Oct 31, 2015
Again, I can see your point and know it takes time sometimes to forgive.

That matter is hate.

Struggling to forgive, especially as God does, is one thing.

Hating a brother or sister in Christ, especially angry without a cause, is another.

JLB

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Am I the only one here who loves the snow and cold temperatures? Maybe its my ethnic background but I love me some cold weather. Bring on the snow and -20Celsius degrees.

I cant STAND bugs, scorching heat, humidity, being unable to sleep in the summer.

Looove me some winter. Its easier to get warm in the winter, than to cool off in the summer.
Obviously, you’re not a mailman. :sneaky:

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018
When I was leading a group I did a 3 part writing I sent out on forgiveness. I will post one of them because I think it relates to your post above.

Which by the way I think it's spot on.

It is a bit long but will post it and you can read it if you want.

Before in do though I would just like to add to your post concerning love.

It's the same.
We need to realise that love is not a feeling but an act of one's will.
We move from Phileo to Agape. Just like Peter (hope you don't mind me adding that)

Anyway here goes.

Tonight's command is about forgiveness.

Matthew 18:21-22

Parable of the Unforgiving Servant

21 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”

22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.

The Bible has plenty to say about forgiveness. Where the Old Testament focuses mainly on God's forgiveness of individuals or groups, the teachings of Jesus in the Gospels also address how human beings can and should forgive each other.

The word forgive in the bible can be translated as follows.

To send away to send forth, yield up, to expire, to let go, let alone, let be, to disregard, give up a debt, forgive, to remit to give up, keep no longer.

In certain contexts, forgiveness is a legal term for absolving or giving up all claims on account of debt, loan, obligation or other claims.

Psychologists generally define forgiveness as a conscious, deliberate decision to release feelings of resentment or vengeance toward a person or group who has harmed you, regardless of whether they actually deserve your forgiveness.

What is forgiveness?

It is a conscious choice that we make. Whether the person who hurt us apologises or not.

It is a shift in thinking towards someone who has hurt you.

It is letting go of the need for revenge and ill will.

It is choosing to remember no more what has been done to you.

It is acknowledging the pain and hurt you feel and walk in.

It is giving it up to God allowing him the right to take care of justice, his perfect justice.

What forgiveness is not.

It is not reconciliation.

It does not mean you have to restore a relationship.

It is not waiting for an apology before forgiving.

It is not always having to tell someone that we have forgiven them.

It is not just merely forgetting.

Is is not condoning or excusing what has been done.

It's not allowing the offence to recur again and again.

It does not replace justice. If an act against you is criminal you are free to instigate legal justice.

Consequences of unforgiveness.

Unforgiveness is a chain that will wrap itself around you. It will pull tighter and tighter. It will sap the very life out of you. It will make you miserable, angry, resentful. It will affect you health, cause anxiety, which leads to high blood pressure, release chemicals in your body that further increases anxiety, depression along with with physical symptoms of heart palpitations, breathing problems, tingling in your fingers and feet, not being able to sleep, not being able to function. These physical symptoms bring fear that further compound the physical and emotional symptoms.

MORE IMPORTANTLY IT AFFECTS YOUR RELATIONSHIPS, with other people that we have no need to forgive. We can withdraw or guard against friendships, be grumpy, irritable, mistrust and so on.

If it affects our relationships with other people you can guarantee it will affect our relationship with God.

The fact is, in the eyes of God unforgiveness is a sin. It can hinder our prayers, it will hinder our spiritual growth and it will hinder our witness.

Consequences of forgiveness.

First of all it helps with all the health issues mentioned above.

We see relationships with those around us in a different light.

We may see relationships restored.

The above are tangible benefits.

When we repent (make a conscious decision to forgive) of unforgiveness then we feel better about our relationship with God, we feel closer to God, we find it easier to come before him, speak to him, spend time him.

Forgiveness is a one time event (what I mean is that at some point you choose to give it up) yet dealing with the consequences can be a process.

When we acknowledge the hurt and pain and any other negative emotion, the act of merely forgiving does not necessarily heal the negative aspects that we suffer.

This is where we are to bring it before God and ask him to heal us. These chains God wants to break, to heal, restore to you an inner peace, replace anger with love.

If we have allowed chains to wrap themselves around us they start to loosen when we allow God to work. When our chains are gone then we have FREEDOM.

This is the ultimate consequence and priceless benefit of forgiveness. Forgiveness is not just about better health and life satisfaction. It’s not just an aid for reducing stress and fighting depression. It is about becoming by grace what God is by nature: a person who loves, a person who forgives, a person who cares for the salvation of the entire world, one soul at a time.

Theologian Lewis Smedes writes, "To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. (Martin Luther King, Jr)

Never forget the three powerful resources you always have available to you: love, prayer, and forgiveness. (H. Jackson Brown, Jr.)

When you forgive, you in no way change the past - but you sure do change the future. (Bernard Meltzer)

To err is human; to forgive, divine. (Alexander Pope)

Footnote:

Secular psychology in the 1980's started to incorporate the principle of forgiveness into counselling. Even in the secular world there is a realisation that forgiveness plays a major part in the lives of those they counsel. So a biblical principle is slowly working its way into the non religious world around us.

They do however focus on the aspect of letting go, it's health benefits and coping mechanisms for anger etc. There are even documented steps to forgiveness programs that they follow.

Where they stop though is the fact then we have a Father who wants to heal pain an hurt. Our Father does not want to give us coping mechanisms he wants to dig it right out of us and replace it pure unadulterated love.

When I have talked to non Christians who struggle with hurt and pain I talk about forgiveness in the secular sense but then say, "Why cope with it when God wants to heal it?

The majority accept the concept of forgiveness but not God healing it (that comes down to faith)

Nevertheless revealing the need to forgive in the first place is the right thing to do.

When Jesus was on the cross he said "Father forgive them, they don't know what they are doing"

A great price had to be paid. I'm sure God and Jesus were hurting and in pain. If anyone has a right to hold our sins against us it is certainly God.

Notice though when we come to God through Jesus he is full of unfailing love for us, he is quick and ready to forgives us of our sins.

He blots them out, red as Crimson now white as snow, he has removed them as far as the East is from the West and he has chosen to REMEMBER THEM NO MORE.

That's perfect forgiveness that we should all aspire to.

That's the perfect forgiveness that God has for us, we should walk in that, believe in it and we should accept it.

Sorry for the long post people but I wanted to put my thoughts out there
Great post Bill.

I just want to say that sometimes we DO remember what was done to us.
You know what they say:
man can forgive,
but only God can forget.

However, at some point we remember WHAT was done,,,but we no longer have the feeling that went along with remembering before. It's almost like it happened to a different person.

Excellently put.
Great lesson, and I can really appreciate it.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
There is no doubt about the great falling away mentioned by Paul and John. We have homosexuals as pastors, they are removing scripture to allow sin to be accepted, there are seeker friendly churches who are not preaching anything that causes the soul to be concerned about salvation, we see even the Pope merging with religions like the Muslim and others, some bigger churches appear more like a theme park with worldly music than a true House of God, there has been and it's grown even more this dancing with ribbons and flags that have no anointing to it at all.

The representation of God in many churches are nothing but a mockery.

But, the scripture does tell us that there will be an "awakening" before the Tribulation begins, to prepare the Elect. And if what you have copied/pasted is following that sentiment, then it is not actually adding to scripture, but rather confirming that scripture is about to be fulfilled" Which is a big difference than adding.

But nevertheless, I feel it still is something worthy to keep a close eye on. Partially due to the fact, scripture has to be fulfilled, and we definitely are in the last days!!

There are things that will happen that cannot be stopped but the timetable is what we are to watch. We don't want the enemy to bring things when it's not "time".

The office of the Prophet, Apostle, Evangelist, Pastor and and teacher continue just like the giftings to believers.

I thank the Lord for the Prophets!

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018
Again, I can see your point and know it takes time sometimes to forgive.

That matter is hate.

Struggling to forgive, especially as God does, is one thing.

Hating a brother or sister in Christ, especially angry without a cause, is another.

JLB
I agree with your last sentence.
Hate and vengeance should not be part of the character of someone that loves God.
I was thinking about this today, and it does seem to me that some things do not need teaching...
perhaps one of them is hate...

John came to mind.
1 John 4:7-8
7Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.
8The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018
I attend a non-denominational, conservative evangelical, that teaches Born Again, and the Reality of HELL, which is the Lake of Fire.
Not every large Church of today fits those examples you presented. We do have SOME Churches that are FAITHFUL to the example of the Church at Philadelphia. We do spend MORE TIME TEACHING THE WORD of GOD, than any other part of Service. The Church I attend has one Hour Sermons, expositing the Word of GOD, and only 40 min. to the other parts of the Service.

Here is an Example of Dr. Gil Rugh's Sermons:

Oh my gosh.
I thought it was Billy Graham when I saw the video!
He looks like him.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Obviously, you’re not a mailman. :sneaky:

I understand the joke, but I do not think he does. LOL. I got a place for him to get a Job in the Post Office.

Very little Bugs,
Temperature in the winter is usually around 34 degrees fahrenheit,
No scorching heat ever, about 60 in the summer,
Right up his alley, . . . . . . well maybe?

I was a City Carrier for 10 years in Northern California, right on the coast, with my apartment about 3 blocks from the ocean.
It RAINS SIDEWAYS MORE THAN 50% of the YEAR, and on raining days, I took my lunchbreak at home, and my afternoon coffee break, so that I could put a DRY UNINFORM ON. BECAUSE WITH THE WIND BLOWING THE RAIN SIDEWAYS, all the RAIN GEAR IN THE WORLD, would not keep you even remotely dry. Even on a fishing trip, I got so cold in with all that rain gear on, I got Hypothermia. The Cold Damp Moisture caused all kinds of BLACK MOLD to grow in the house, drove my allergies CRAZY. Be Careful for what you wish for, you just might get it.

What it feels like to be COLD, WET, and MISERABLE.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
John McArthur is a false teacher who spreads "the disease of Calvinism."

JPT
I would not label Pastor John MacArthur as a false teacher and there are many who would say he teaches the word of God. It is common knowledge that Pastor John MacArthur is not liked by the charismatics, so if you do not like his teaching then do not listen to him.

The disease of Calvinism?, there's a lot of hatefulness in a statement like that.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
I would not label Pastor John MacArthur as a false teacher and there are many who would say he teaches the word of God. It is common knowledge that Pastor John MacArthur is not liked by the charismatics, so if you do not like his teaching then do not listen to him.

The disease of Calvinism?, there's a lot of hatefulness in a statement like that.

I do not KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO, so it has to be on I put on my Permanent IGNORE LIST. So I will post this HERE, so that the PERSON that called the Disease of Calvinism, is sick on a twisted, perverted opinion of WHAT CALVINISM ACTUALLY IS.

So let's GET the CORRECT ANSWER from Dr. John MacArthur HIMSELF, WHAT IS CALVINISM GENUINELY ABOUT:

Please Listen to every word of this 27:32 minute message, before you and the Person You are Talking to before you make up your mind, because the THEORY that the Person you were TALKING TO, BELIEVES A TOTAL LIE about what CALVINISM actually teaches.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
I do not KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO, so it has to be on I put on my Permanent IGNORE LIST. So I will post this HERE, so that the PERSON that called the Disease of Calvinism, is sick on a twisted, perverted opinion of WHAT CALVINISM ACTUALLY IS.

So let's GET the CORRECT ANSWER from Dr. John MacArthur HIMSELF, WHAT IS CALVINISM GENUINELY ABOUT:

Please Listen to every word of this 27:32 minute message, before you and the Person You are Talking to before you make up your mind, because the THEORY that the Person you were TALKING TO, BELIEVES A TOTAL LIE about what CALVINISM actually teaches.
Hi VCO, my post was written to Justpassinthrough who said John MacArthur is a false teacher and he spreads the "disease of Calvanism." You must have him on "ignore" so that you cannot see who I am posting to; I told justpassinthrough I though his statement about Pastor John MacArthur was very hateful.

Here is the statement below;

justpassinthrough said:
John McArthur is a false teacher who spreads "the disease of Calvinism."

JPT

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
The disease of Calvinism is a bogus as the disease of Spurgeon.
IMO Calvin was one of the finest biblical scholars of all time.
"Apart from the biblical authors themselves, Calvin stands as the most influential minister of the Word the world has ever seen. Philip Melanchthon revered him as the most able interpreter of Scripture in the church, and therefore labeled him simply “the theologian.” And Charles Spurgeon said that Calvin “propounded truth more clearly than any other man that ever breathed, knew more of Scripture, and explained it more clearly.”"