Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
This is a very clear one too:

Colossians 1:21-23
21And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds,
22yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach—
23if indeed you continue in the faith firmly established and steadfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel that you have heard, which was proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, was made a minister.

There are even more....
If the N.T. writers allude to our losing our faith...
It means we CAN lose our faith.
Oy vey!

What about this one? Its even in the Pauline epistles, even dispensationalists have to touch this one.

Anyone got something? We're toast!

stillness

Jan 28, 2013
Walk trough the valley
If you ever read other posts of mine, here and elsewhere, you'd find that I don't really like to argue about doctrine. I will only do this with the doctrine of OSAS because I truly feel that this teaching might lead some to lose their salvation....not even necessarily the ones who believe this since, as I've said many times - our doctrine does not save us, Jesus does - but someone reading along that is a new Christian might be very affected by this idea and go off the path toward God and it's very clear from scripture that nothing unclean will enter heaven.

I've heard on these threads that it's not even necessary to ask forgiveness of God !
The entire N.T. gospel is being changed...everything Jesus and Paul and the other writers said is being challenged. And I don't know why unless we're in the last times and the wolves are out.
Mathew 7:15
I looked up the meaning of OSAS yesterday, not knowing what it was:
Obstructive sleep apnea sin..
Well, it sais they all slumbered and slept I thing the wise slumbered and the foolish slept
but sleep apnea doesn't define slumbering or sleep.
And even the ones asleep though not part of the bride, may be among the nations of the saved.
I also have to admit that in reading your reply I heard what you said and did catch on to the meaning of OSAS in the church, but still docent define if they are slumbering or sleeping and neither should we be concerned. 3 years ago the Lord told me: I don't need your help. When we all understand that we need His help to Love Him first rather that try to persuade others and lose the first Love we thought we had in heated discussion: that is what happened at the time He told me this, and its after I apologised for disrupting that He told me: I don't need your help
I also think its a fascinating parallel of meaning still we don't know whether it defines slumbering or sleeping. The definition fits the wise, because they are not sleeping comfortably as they know they should be awake and watching, but just the same it could be because they know they are low on oil, not having the double portion. I got to go to work, from a place of rest as well.
God speed to all walking in the Light they have.

Argueless

Oct 21, 2018
Do you question the very words of Christ Jesus as He was dying on the cross:unsure:

Are you telling us in post after post that your "works" are above and more necessary than the Death and resurrection of Christ Jesus....that your "works" are the second and the more important part of a Two Act Play?

What shall we call this play......"Jesus Fails, My Obedience Wins"

Seriously, do you ever stop and consider how your "works" and your attempt to emulate the historical and Divine Jesus in the energy of the flesh is not authentic Christian living?

Infusing your personal obedience into the salvation plan is at its very core repugnant in light of the suffering of Jesus and when He very clearly stated He did it all, Finished, Paid in Full, only His perfect obedience could ever meet God's standard.
If i understand it correctly, you are refering to salvation as to what the Lord Jesus was refering to when He said "it is finished". Excuse me for assuming what you can't directly or honestly convey.

I believe in God, the Father of our Lord Jesus and our Father IN Christ, who knows the hour or time of the end and I do not disregard the Great day of Judgment.

The Day and Hour Unknown

“No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left. “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him. “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. I tell you the truth, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where THERE WILL BE WEEPING AND GNASHING OF TEETH. Matthew 24:36-51

...Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your deeds complete in the sight of my God. Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you. Revelation 3:1-3

...On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. John 14:20

To be able to have CHRIST IN YOU, a person must have FAITH.

...He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit. Galatians 3:14,

Now that Christ is in you through FAITH, then we should be IN HIM.

...We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did. 1 John 2:3-6

...And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love. 2 John 1:6

If we are IN HIM, we become sons/children of God because we are THE BODY OF CHRIST, His Son.

...because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. Romans 8:14

So we wil know that we are IN HIM if we WALK AS JESUS DID. He WALKED IN LOVE, He walked in obedience to God's commands and that's how we wil know that Jesus is in the Father.

...Although he was a son, he LEARNED OBEDIENCE FROM WHAT HE SUFFERED and, once made perfect, he became the source of ETERNAL SALVATION FOR ALL WHO OBEY HIM. Hebrews 5:8-9

Christ will enter your heart if when he knocks you let Him in.

We MUST OBEY his commands and WALK IN LOVE to be IN HIM.

...On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. John 14:20

...but the world must learn that I LOVE THE FATHER and that I DO EXACTLY what my Father has COMMANDED ME...John 14:31

...Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be partners with them. Ephesians 5:6-7

...All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end WILL BE SAVED. Matthew 10:22, 24:13, 1 Corinthians 15:1-2

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018
Oy vey!

What about this one? Its even in the Pauline epistles, even dispensationalists have to touch this one.

Anyone got something? We're toast!
LOL!

In every letter Paul wrote he begged the believers to keep on believing and to live a good life ... Check it out. Starting with Romans and even in Galatians, which is always brought up here.

There is no way Colossians could be explained away.
There is no way any of the verses I posted could be explained away,,,,except by accepting that we most certainly can lose our faith....then the verses become easy to understand.

In 1 Timothy, Paul says...
If we deny HIM
HE will deny us.
1 Timothy 2:12

verse 13 is always mis-translated by those who adhere to OSAS.
They have to twist every verse so it could fit their belief system.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
So if you DO NOT obey,,,,
you're stills saved?

John 15:14 JESUS SAID
14“You are My friends if you do what I command you. "

It's a good idea to remain friends with Jesus...
He said we are His friend IF we do what He commands...
Please show me where I said to put obedience first.

Thanks.
I did. When you put must in front of obey.

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018
Do you question the very words of Christ Jesus as He was dying on the cross:unsure:

Are you telling us in post after post that your "works" are above and more necessary than the Death and resurrection of Christ Jesus....that your "works" are the second and the more important part of a Two Act Play?

What shall we call this play......"Jesus Fails, My Obedience Wins"

Seriously, do you ever stop and consider how your "works" and your attempt to emulate the historical and Divine Jesus in the energy of the flesh is not authentic Christian living?

Infusing your personal obedience into the salvation plan is at its very core repugnant in light of the suffering of Jesus and when He very clearly stated He did it all, Finished, Paid in Full, only His perfect obedience could ever meet God's standard.
Not infusing your personal obedience into the salvation plan is repugnant.

John 12:46-50
46“I have come as Light into the world, so that everyone who believes in Me will not remain in darkness.
47“If anyone hears My sayings and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world.
48“He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day.
49“For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak.
50“I know that His commandment is eternal life; therefore the things I speak, I speak just as the Father has told Me.”

John 14: 20-24
20“In that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.
21“He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.”
22Judas (not Iscariot) said to Him, “Lord, what then has happened that You are going to disclose Yourself to us and not to the world?”
23Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.
24“He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father’s who sent Me.

You do have a strange way of loving Jesus....
And your comments leave much to be desired....
Titus 1:16

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018
I did. When you put must in front of obey.
No my dear.

YOU said I put obedience before faith.

I SAID to PLEASE show me WHERE I said that.

Really,,, those on this thread should STOP spreading lies about me and stating that I said things I did not say.

The word MUST OBEY has nothing to do with what comes first....
obedience
or
faith.

I'll wait for you to prove that I ever said obedience comes first and then faith.

Thank you.

Dec 12, 2013
That bottom line was meant to say, "God is pleased to save them that believe through the foolishness of preaching'" Don't be afraid of that word foolishness, it's there to show that we don't know God in our understanding and need to go deeper than that. So don't fool yourself, your not saved in your understanding. Yes you and everyone who trusts in their understanding that they have been made the righteousness of God but don't go deeper than that, "Lean not on your understanding but trust in the Lord. If the case of a mater of correct understanding would save us, the law could have saved us. You end up judging yourself with the same judgment you judge others with and that's always the case, always, until we love our enemies and stop judging them. LOve is the only power that will change an enemy into a friend. I happen to like you, maybe you need to be saved from yourself like the rest of us.
I know the verse and have quoted it a 1000 times.......It pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe........and you are wrong migo....I trust in the word and what it states about my salvation.......and I fully trust in the imputed righteousness of Christ by faith and I fully trust in the words of Christ and words of Christ through PAUL....he has saved me to the uttermost by his power, he began the work of faith in me, he will finish the work of faith in me and he will complete the work of faith in me....he keeps my by his power, will never leave me, never forsake me and he seals my by his spirit of promise......that is what I trust in.......so please man.....if you are going to judge my heart, make sure you judge me correctly...........

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
LOL!

In every letter Paul wrote he begged the believers to keep on believing and to live a good life ... Check it out. Starting with Romans and even in Galatians, which is always brought up here.

There is no way Colossians could be explained away.
There is no way any of the verses I posted could be explained away,,,,except by accepting that we most certainly can lose our faith....then the verses become easy to understand.

In 1 Timothy, Paul says...
If we deny HIM
HE will deny us.
1 Timothy 2:12

verse 13 is always mis-translated by those who adhere to OSAS.
They have to twist every verse so it could fit their belief system.
Actually those verses are a poem. The ISV includes the poems which other translations don't.

11 This saying is trustworthy:

In dying with the Messiah,
true life we gain.
12 Enduring,
we with him will reign.
Who him denies,
he will disclaim.

13 Our faith may fail,
his never wanes—
That's who he is,
he cannot change!

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018
2 Timothy 2:13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.
Now you're changing your story.
Even if we Do lose our faith.... Thank you for accepting that faith can be lost.

And even if we do lose our faith..... We're Still saved.

Thanks for clarifying what I've been saying all along about those that believe in OSAS.

Which is:
We can believe and have faith....
Or Not have faith and Still be saved.

This goes against everything the NT teaches.
So you believe in a false gospel.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
This is a very clear one too:

Colossians 1:21-23
21And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds,
22yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach—
23if indeed you continue in the faith firmly established and steadfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel that you have heard, which was proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, was made a minister.

There are even more....
If the N.T. writers allude to our losing our faith...
It means we CAN lose our faith.
Did you read post #83,073? - https://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/not-by-works.146296/page-4154#post-3839046

In regards to Colossians 1:21-23, see post #741. - https://christianchat.com/bible-dis...ay-from-the-faith-its-possible.152309/page-38

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018
Actually those verses are a poem. The ISV includes the poems which other translations don't.

11 This saying is trustworthy:

In dying with the Messiah,
true life we gain.
12 Enduring,
we with him will reign.
Who him denies,
he will disclaim.

13 Our faith may fail,
his never wanes—
That's who he is,
he cannot change!
Some say it's a poem.
Some say it's a song.

I say it's the word of God.
We live by every word of God.

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I prefer to believe what the N.T. tells me...
and it has a lot of IF's and CONTINUE's and FALLING AWAY's written there.
All referring to our faith and our belief.

We are guaranteed our salvation IF WE REMAIN IN CHRIST, IF we are IN HIM at the time of our death.
The N.T. is replete with warnings to remain faithful,,,to not fall away...

This means IT IS POSSIBLE to fall away and to not remain faithful.
Simple for those who have ears to hear.
I believe what the N.T. tells me. Again, see post #83,073 here - https://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/not-by-works.146296/page-4154#post-3839046

And post #741 here - https://christianchat.com/bible-dis...ay-from-the-faith-its-possible.152309/page-38

What does the Bible say about those who go out from us? *See 1 John 2:19. Those who permanently fall away and fail to remain faithful demonstrate that their faith was never firmly rooted and established in Christ from the start.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Maybe you could explain the very first verses about
HAVING BEEN SAVED (passed)
BEING SAVED (present)
WILL BE SAVED (future).
There is nothing to explain away:

We have been saved from the PENALTY of sin (justification)
We are being saved from the POWER of sin (ongoing sanctification)
We will be saved from the PRESENCE of sin (glorification)

These three tenses of salvation often get mixed up by those who teach works salvation.

Dec 12, 2013
Is there any verse that says IF you continue believing you are saved or something like that? That would prove your point.

Nobody will be convinced by verses from 1 John because they can be said to be DESCRIPTIVE texts.

But if you pull up a verse that says IF YOU continue believin you are saved, or something like that, I believe we would all bow down to the witness of the Scriptures and agree.
I would not believe one word she states....denies verb tense, twists and rejects context, conflates numerous doctrines into one big quagmire, deceptively states we do not post verses and scripture when we do, peddles the early church fathers and her catholic twist on the word all while devaluing JESUS, his promises, faith, work, sacrifice and the truth.............

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
No need to read any comment.
It's plain and simple to understand.
Jesus did not require His words to be explained....
Ditto for Paul.
It's plain and simple to understand for me, but if one does not properly harmonize scripture with scripture before reaching their conclusion on doctrine, then the end result is "type 2 works salvation."

Dec 12, 2013
There is nothing to explain away:

We have been saved from the PENALTY of sin (justification)
We are being saved from the PRESENCE of sin (ongoing sanctification)
We will be saved from the PRESENCE of sin (glorification)

These three tenses of salvation often get mixed up by those who teach works salvation.
A present ongoing continuing result from a past completed action....