Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Oh happy day.......thanks so much for the help
You are welcome.

When I first came here I couldn't figure it out.
It did my head in.
Not as much as Romans 7 does though:cool:

But when I figured it out (responding to part of a post that is) Oh happy day as you say.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
JESUSCONVERTYOUHERETICS SAID HE DISAGREED WITH ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAID ?

I will Welcome you, because you are a newcomer. Most of us here are OSAS.

But I am willing to bet you do not even know what the REAL MEANING of that TERM MEANS.

We believe He ALONE SAVED US, however OBEDIENCE is PART TO LOVE, the LOVE THAT THE FATHER told the Holy Spirit to Pour into our hearts the moment HE CAME INTO OUR HEARTS (human spirit), ROM. 5:5. SO WE TOO believe in OBEDIENCE, but it is NOT PART OF SALVATION. The Chief Spiritual GIFT is LOVE, and it spawns out of GOD's LOVE in our HEARTS.

How LONG ago do you think GOD SAVED US ? ? ?

2 Timothy 1:9 (HCSB)
9 He has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began.

You have made one of the biggest mistakes that you can make in Interpretation, YOU have assumed that SALVATION and SANCTIFICATION are the SAME THING. SALVATION is a FREE GIFT OF GOD. SANCTIFICATION is HOW we EXPRESS OUR LOVE FOR HIM, after HE saved us. Yes, that is a verse that solidly supports PREDESTINATION.

Romans 8:28-30 (HCSB)
28 We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.
29 For those He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers.
30 And those He predestined, He also called; and those He called, He also justified; and those He justified, He also glorified.

Goodnewsman

Jan 4, 2016
I confess my sin too, and while i do it, i thank God for forgiving me, otherwise, i woupd have no hope. Because there is no way possible i can remember every sin to confess them.
This absolutely does not make any sense to me. Doesn't the Bible say when God forgives our sins he casts them as far as the East is from the West never to be remembered against us anymore????

If your future sins are already pardoned before you commit them, how could you possibly ask God to forgive something he don't even remember?

Most on here talk about Sin like it's something you cannot avoid and something that we all do all the time but the Bible says if you walk in the spirit you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh.......... will not

Every man is tempted and drawn away of his own lust........ But does he not also promise a way of Escape with every temptation.

Again sin a choice.

That is what's wrong with our society today everybody wants to blame something or somebody for where they are. but each and every one of us is a product of our own choices

Dec 12, 2013
Snake oil salesman. Take one swig and all your wishes are granted.

Listen to God. Paint the doorposts with blood and your first born will not be killed.
They then leave Egypt and go into the desert to party and worship an idol, to then be
killed and die in the desert.

It was more than just a one night event. But that is all you are offering.
Do not buy it. So unfortunately God speaks louder and clearer than you do.
This post reeks of ignorance.........Did God forsake them? NO......they were not allowed to enter a position of REST in this life and yet...

a. God led them by day and by night -->pillar of fire and smoke
b. God gave them a system of worship and sacrifice which pointed to Christ
c. God fed them and provided water
d. God healed them BY FAITH when they looked to the brazen serpent
e. God gave them laws and good instruction which ALSO pointed to CHRIST
f. GOD's presence was never taken fro them during this time

Most workers for and salvation losers fail to bring up and or deny the truth of the facts above....and the BIGGIE....UNDER THE LAW ONE SIN = GUILT.............the reason GOD made the wander 40 years and the same reason MOSES was not allowed to ENTER.....1 SIN....

BY your reasoning MOSES was LOST as well.....

Dec 12, 2013

But I am willing to bet you do not even know what the REAL MEANING of that TERM MEANS.

We believe He ALONE SAVED US, however OBEDIENCE is PART TO LOVE, the LOVE THAT THE FATHER told the Holy Spirit to Pour into our hearts the moment HE CAME INTO OUR HEARTS (human spirit), ROM. 5:5. SO WE TOO believe in OBEDIENCE, but it is NOT PART OF SALVATION. The Chief Spiritual GIFT is LOVE, and it spawns out of GOD's LOVE in our HEARTS.

9 He has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began.

You have made one of the biggest mistakes that you can make in Interpretation, YOU have assumed that SALVATION and SANCTIFICATION are the SAME THING. SALVATION is a FREE GIFT OF GOD. SANCTIFICATION is HOW we EXPRESS OUR LOVE FOR HIM, after HE saved us. Yes, that is a verse that solidly supports PREDESTINATION.

28 We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.
29 For those He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers.
30 And those He predestined, He also called; and those He called, He also justified; and those He justified, He also glorified.
I think these guys are playing games....he will LIKE one truthful post I make and then turn around and red x the next truthful post I make........the last few days ALL of the NEW ones that open accounts like at 1 pm with NO posts, no replies nor anything will LIKE a few truthful posts and red x a few truthful posts.......who knows?

Chester

May 23, 2016
JESUSCONVERTYOUHERETICS

Not sure what your "most" means?? I am not a "once saved always saved" but I do firmly believe that all who believe in Jesus Christ are given the gift of eternal life. Those who do not believe are damned (unless they repent and believe in the atoning work of Jesus Christ).
Calvin, Arminian, and Paul are not the way. Jesus is the way.

Chester

May 23, 2016
I think these guys are playing games....he will LIKE one truthful post I make and then turn around and red x the next truthful post I make........the last few days ALL of the NEW ones that open accounts like at 1 pm with NO posts, no replies nor anything will LIKE a few truthful posts and red x a few truthful posts.......who knows?
I agree -- it is quite confusing . . . seems like a network of trolls, or jokesters, or maybe serious students entering our midst?? Not sure - but it makes it interesting to say the least . . .

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
Yes, what about his doctrine makes him hyper-dispensational?
One would be that only the Epistles of Paul apply to the church. The letters of Peter, James and John are "to the jews" in the future tribulation period somehow, yet had 1st century application.

Which of course is false in every way possible, and a NEW and FOREIGN doctrine brought in to Christianity only recently, unheard of in church history. This obviously because we know that genealogies dont matter in the new covenant, and jew or gentile is irrelevant. Therefore a letter to the jewish christians -> applies to all christians. Just like a letter to the galatians applies to all christians, NOT just the galatians.

Another one would be different gospels, he taught that we have paul's gospel now, but in the future (and past) it was a different one, WHICH AGAIN would put the angel in revelation under a curse for preaching the everlasting gospel. Since Paul says anyone who preaches a different one is accursed.

Its sad that I even had to point this out, but this is 2019, goes with the territory I guess.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018

Great post bro I agree.

How does silas, GodsGrace101 and Goodnewsman deal with 2 Timothy 1:9 would be interesting to hear.

We cant earn our salvation! HOW can it be a PRIZE to work for, when the Bible says salvation is a FREE GIFT. NOT OF WORKS. NOT ACCORDING TO OUR WORKS, NOT BY WORKS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS WHICH WE HAVE DONE

How many different ways does it have to be said?

Dec 12, 2013
Many conflate the following which leads to erroneous doctrine

SONSHIP with FELLOWSHIP
SALVATION with ONGOING SANCTIFICATION
JUSTIFICATION with ONGOING SANCTIFICATION

May 20, 2018
Ohio
Faith is given.
So what are "good works"?
Christ says not to even call him good that only God is good.
So how do we achieve "good works" being filthy sinners?

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018
By no means was I criticizing...thought you were me...lol. it's hard to tell sometimes without seeing body language, eye contact, tone, etc.
I apologize if I seemed poignant or ignorant.
God bless you and all you love brother
No problem.
I know what you mean about the written word.
I don't criticize anyone personally...
I love all believers (even catholics!)
Peace and love to you too.
BTW,,, I'm a girl.

Dec 12, 2013
Faith is given.
So what are "good works"?
Christ says not to even call him good that only God is good.
So how do we achieve "good works" being filthy sinners?
They will try.....the plenteous in number "many" will come before him in that day saying, "Lord, Lord, have we not done many wonderful works in your name, have we not.........., have we not............." <----they get cast.

They peddle the same thing we see peddled in this site...

LORD, LORD <----claim of faith
Have we not done <-----elements of works

FAITH plus WORKS for or to KEEP........false gospel of a different kind according to Paul and Galatians.....

Argueless

Oct 21, 2018
I agree sanctification is important, but I think this verse says so much..

He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Titus 3:5‭-‬7 NASB

Sanctification and relationship are important and they come with repentance, right? Believing in Him brings us to our knees, filled with shame and guilt, ready to repent, asking Him to save us.

He is all about sanctification. Yes, it is so important. We just get ourselves in a dog paddling estate, in the middle of shark (satan) infested waters, when we forget we are innocent by association with Him, not because we anything. Do we get to contribute...yes. Do we get to be a part of His plan...yes. Does He want and expect us to obey...yes. But we see in so many places, ours is to repent, His is to save..

For God has shut up all in disobedience so that He may show mercy to all. Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who became his counselor ? Or who has first given to Him that it might be paid back to him again ? For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen.
Romans 11:32‭-‬36 NASB

But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption, so that, just as it is written, " Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord ."
1 Corinthians 1:30‭-‬31 NASB

We are told not to engage in disputes over laws because it is fruitless, but as long as we do this...

with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth,
2 Timothy 2:25 NASB

We should be ok. I will be. You, however, may end up with a hardened, reprobated, heart if you keep arguing.

Just kidding...

I still believe you are my Sister, that you too call on the name of the Lord, that we both agree obeying Him is fundamental to our Salvation. I think the difference we have is that for me, He gets all the Glory, for even our repentance. We must keep our eyes on the Savior. It is wise to know He is. Holy and Just, able to squash our souls like a bug, and so comforting knowing He wants instead to give us life. He is so good, ours is to accept His calling.

Him mercy towards us propels our mission towards His.

For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.
Ephesians 2:8‭-‬10 NASB

Yes, He wants our commitment and fellowship. He died for it. Talk about selfless love. May we all walk in it.
Amen sis. This is very edifying.
And if I may add, Paul said that we have to offer our bodies as a living sacrifice, HOLY and ACCEPTABLE to God which is our SPIRITUAL ACT OF WORSHIP. (1 Corinthians 12:1) and then goes on to teach about the BODY OF CHRIST and spiritual gifts.

...Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. (1 john 3:16)

That is why Paul said;

...For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ NOT ONLY TO BELIEVE ON HIM, BUT ALSO TO SUFFER FOR HIM, Philippians 1:29

So we see here that just as Jesus suffered when He sacrificed Himself in obedience to GOD, His apostles and the prophets before them also suffered and were killed. Did they suffer and died for doing good because of their obedience to the faith?

...It is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, 1 Peter 3:17-18

...Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I FILL UP IN MY FLESH WHAT IS STILL LACKING IN REGARD TO CHRIST'S AFFLICTIONS, for the sake of his body, which is the church. Colossians 1:24

They suffered and laboured for our sake and not for their own salvation but for ours, we reap the benefits of their labour and that's what those in the body of Christ do, they work for the salvation of the unbelievers for they also were once unbelievers who benefited from the Labour of those before them. IOW "paying it forward."

...“My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work. Do you not say, ‘Four months more and then the harvest’? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest. Even now the reaper draws his wages, even now HE HARVESTS THE CROP FOR ETERNAL LIFE, so that the sower and the reaper may be GLAD TOGETHER. Thus the saying ‘ONE SOWS AND ANOTHER REAPS’ is true. I sent you TO REAP WHAT YOU HAVE NOT WORKED FOR. Others have done the hard work, and YOU HAVE REAPED THE BENEFITS OF THEIR LABOR.” John 4:34-38

I would therefore say and believe that;

...As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead. James 2:26

And regarding eternal security, I still can't find it in the bible but eternal salvation IN CHRIST JESUS is our LIVING HOPE.

...Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as WE WAIT EAGERLY FOR OUR ADOPTION AS SONS, the redemption of our bodies. FOR IN THIS HOPE WE WERE SAVED. BUT HOPE THAT IS SEEN IS NO HOPE AT ALL. WHO HOPES FOR WHAT HE ALREADY HAS? But if we hope for what WE DO NOT YET HAVE, we wait for it patiently. Romans 8:23-25

Goodnewsman

Jan 4, 2016
Again you state openly that you have no honesty or integrity.........see how those works work out for you in the end........what a joke
By quoting a Bible verse I have no honesty or integrity????

To be honest with you, I'm about sick and tired of you attacking my integrity. You and BUDMAN both constantly speak down to me and bring up my congregation and what a sorry pastor I must be, for having the audacity to disagree with you. The next time you guys attack my integrity and especially the church I pastor, I will tell the Father on you

I'm a nice guy, not mean spirited at all... I mean you and BUDMAN both have your pictures on this thumbnail for all to see giving me plenty of material to say mean things about you but I don't

Dec 12, 2013
I see that some still cannot understand that it is the SPIRIT that has been born again from above by incorruptible seed eternally by the irrevocable GIFT of faith and LIFE and the verses that speak to the future are speaking of the FINISHED product when we GET A NEW body as described in 1st Corinthians 15.....................

WAS saved
AM saved
WILL CONTINUE to be saved

the gift is IRREVOCABLE.....all that teach erroneously teach and believe that it is REVOCABLE.....this is false and flat denies the word!

Dec 12, 2013
By quoting a Bible verse I have no honesty or integrity????

To be honest with you, I'm about sick and tired of you attacking my integrity. You and BUDMAN both constantly speak down to me and bring up my congregation and what a sorry pastor I must be, for having the audacity to disagree with you. The next time you guys attack my integrity and especially the church I pastor, I will tell the Father on you

I'm a nice guy, not mean spirited at all... I mean you and BUDMAN both have your pictures on this thumbnail for all to see giving me plenty of material to say mean things about you but I don't
NO.....your last mouthy remark about OSAS....get your facts straight.....it reeks of no integrity and or honesty....shall I quote it....??

Goodnewsman said:

I guess though if you are a brother hating murdering "Christian" you still have eternal life. According to the OSAS

Argueless

Oct 21, 2018
Paul was worried that some of them may be deceived just like eve was deceived.

...But I AM AFRAID that just as Eve was DECEIVED by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be LED ASTRAY from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 2 Corinthians 11:3

The truth is that the deceiver has been deceiving from the beginning until now.

These deceivers will REJECT and NULLIFY the Word and believe the deceiving spirits.(Isaiah 5:20-24, Mark 7:6-13)

...while evil men and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 2 Timothy 3:13

...THE SPIRIT CLEARLY SAYS that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. Such teachings come through HYPOCRITICAL LIARS, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 1 Timothy 4:1-2

How would we know who were the ones that were deceived?

We know that Eve was deceived when she believed the deceiver and disobeyed God's command.

Who are the deceivers and who were deceived?

..But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. 18 They said to you, “In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires.” 19 These are the men who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.

...At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come. For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. Matthew 24:10‭-‬14‭, ‬24

...For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve. 2 Corinthians 11:13‭-‬15

And those that were deceived believed in the deceivers mentioned above and disobeyed God's commands because they were made to believe that they would not surely die, IOW, "always saved". But scriptures warn us not to be deceived;

...Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be partners with them. Ephesians 5:6‭-‬7

...Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?” The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’ ” “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. “For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”... Genesis 3:1‭-‬19

Just think what could have happened if Eve did not believe the serpents deception but OBEYED God instead. ...NO NEED TO DISCUSS SALVATION FOR SURE because no one needs to be saved.

The truth is that Adam and Eve were created according to the image of God's righteousness and holiness and they BELIEVE and OBEY God until they got DECEIVED and disobeyed God. If they were deceived, why can't you?

Did God warn us about the deception? If He did, then why refuse to take heed of them?

So who would say now that OBEDIENCE TO GOD HAS NO BEARING IN SALVATION?
They will try.....the plenteous in number "many" will come before him in that day saying, "Lord, Lord, have we not done many wonderful works in your name, have we not.........., have we not............." <----they get cast.

They peddle the same thing we see peddled in this site...

LORD, LORD <----claim of faith
Have we not done <-----elements of works

FAITH plus WORKS for or to KEEP........false gospel of a different kind according to Paul and Galatians.....

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018
[/QUOTE]
There is a logical problem here.
God could not declare someone has eternal life, because that would be an eternal declaration, and then condemn
them to the lake of fire.

We have examples of believers who are believers as far as we can tell, yet left the faith and walked away.
And we have warnings about testing, and making sure our calling, and continuing and striving and following.

But if you know Jesus, there is no problem. The difficulty comes when people do not actually know Jesus.
And worse still are not actually interested in Him or love Him but like being religious.

And it is here that people fall apart. They begin to blame others, and say the problems come from this group
or this teaching or this deception. But it always comes back to us and our walk. Until one is honest enough that
Jesus is always there waiting, we just need to call and walk, we will miss it all, every time.
Don't worry too much about posting this scripture.
I posted a whole page once...maybe 15 that declared one could become lost again.

NOTHING you post will work...
However, it IS good to post for the readers.

I however, am taking another rest from here.
:cool: