Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

Well this is the key right here

1 Thessalonians 5:18
18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

There are far more harmful factors to a Christian walk than easy living, I would say "emotional baggage" grudges we hold onto, past hurts, pain, is far more detrimental.
Paul lived a life of pain and suffering yet considered it easy

easy living comes from gratitude and being content no matter your circumstance

E

EleventhHour

its crazy because i dont even have a desire to drink. its just that the sun doesnt rise if a finn doesnt drink on weekend. its like a duty to make sure the next day arrives.

but i really should move to milk this isnt worth it.
Milk is good.... de-alcoholized wine it an option if it is the flavor your crave.

E

EleventhHour

Paul lived a life of pain and suffering yet considered it easy

easy living comes from gratitude and being content no matter your circumstance
I do not disagree... the original point was, is hardship, pain suffering necessary for spiritual growth, I do not think so.

Ruby123

Mar 1, 2019
Well if you don't have the desire sounds like it would be possible to stop.
Replace it with something else.

E

EleventhHour

We cant even become warriors if we dont go thru PAIN. Pleasure and comfort dont do NOTHING to make us grow. Prosperity is the biggest killer of growth, adversity is the workshop for warriors. Its in our DNA to avoid pain and its natural, but should we always take the easy way out? No! Should we learn to embrace it and go through it? YES!
@eternally-gratefull

Here is the original post.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Pleasure and comfort dont do NOTHING to make us grow.
When I studied martial arts my Sensi used to say pain is weakness leaving the body. Those words were motivational for sure.

Yet be that as it may, nothing makes us grow more than embracing the pleasure and comfort of knowing God loves us and that His grace through Jesus Christ is sufficient.

E

EleventhHour

When I studied martial arts my Sensi used to say pain is weakness leaving the body. Those words were motivational for sure.

Yet be that as it may, nothing makes us grow more than embracing the pleasure and comfort of knowing God loves us and that His grace through Jesus Christ is sufficient.
My son had a Sensi...I could never could get it right I always called him Sufi :) after a while my son just gave up trying to help me get it right.

E

EleventhHour

As well I agree, I was trapped in that thinking that suffering was my path to growth ... so wrong.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
My son had a Sensi...I could never could get it right I always called him Sufi :) after a while my son just gave up trying to help me get it right.
When I get confused with Japanese words I solve the problem by just saying Godzilla! 😊

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018

As well I agree, I was trapped in that thinking that suffering was my path to growth ... so wrong.
I would agree with yall if it wasnt for the large amounts of evidence against it.

I see the state of Christianity here and its COOKED. This is COMMON here where there is not much persecution for being a Christian, but RARE in China and many other countries where Christians are persecuted against.

So clearly COMFORT/IDLENESS breeds WEAKNESS. Don't care what anyone says, we got the DOCUMENTS right here. I am one of the losers here and im TRYING to become a winner. If there is ANYTHING i've learned is that other than salvation, NOTHING is guaranteed, you gotta get up and get going or you will never amount to anything in this life and come judgment seat of Christ you will be just another one of the LOSERS that never did nothing for nobody. I DONT WANNA BE THAT GUY. I've been that guy all my life already, ive wrecked my ENTIRE LIFE from the get go and im one of the biggest losers I know and I wanna become a WINNER instead and I've seen first hand: NOTHING is gonna happen unless I move on it.

The story goes from a cell with nothing but a matress in it to an apartment to finally getting a job and struggling with motivation to keep going, on top of that kicking bad habits and dealing with constant mental breakdowns so TELL ME AGAIN about how I should just be comfortable and chill. IF IM COMFORTABLE and chill, i'll be HOMELESS or doing LIFE. THREE STRIKES!

Im just sick of failing at life.

E

EleventhHour

I would agree with yall if it wasnt for the large amounts of evidence against it.

I see the state of Christianity here and its COOKED. This is COMMON here where there is not much persecution for being a Christian, but RARE in China and many other countries where Christians are persecuted against.

So clearly COMFORT/IDLENESS breeds WEAKNESS. Don't care what anyone says, we got the DOCUMENTS right here. I am one of the losers here and im TRYING to become a winner. If there is ANYTHING i've learned is that other than salvation, NOTHING is guaranteed, you gotta get up and get going or you will never amount to anything in this life and come judgment seat of Christ you will be just another one of the LOSERS that never did nothing for nobody. I DONT WANNA BE THAT GUY. I've been that guy all my life already, ive wrecked my ENTIRE LIFE from the get go and im one of the biggest losers I know and I wanna become a WINNER instead and I've seen first hand: NOTHING is gonna happen unless I move on it.

The story goes from a cell with nothing but a matress in it to an apartment to finally getting a job and struggling with motivation to keep going, on top of that kicking bad habits and dealing with constant mental breakdowns so TELL ME AGAIN about how I should just be comfortable and chill. IF IM COMFORTABLE and chill, i'll be HOMELESS or doing LIFE. THREE STRIKES!

Im just sick of failing at life.
If you have insight into yourself then you can work on yourself.

A true loser thinks they are great when they are not.

Stop seeing things through the winner/loser lens ... and of course we have to move on it.

The are two important things in life and one is good healthy relationships/family/friends and second having an area of focus, a passion if you will.

E

EleventhHour

We would all be homeless if we did not face the rough and tumble world.

It is never to late to start making good choices.

E

eternally-gratefull

If you have insight into yourself then you can work on yourself.

A true loser thinks they are great when they are not.

Stop seeing things through the winner/loser lens ... and of course we have to move on it.

The are two important things in life and one is good healthy relationships/family/friends and second having an area of focus, a passion if you will.
Well said

the pharisees were losers, the sinners who came to Christ broken became winners (in Christ)

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Just wondering does the word "person" ever used in scripture to define God?

So what does that matter, as long as WE KNOW HIM, whom we are talking about. HE gave ADAM the right to name the Adam the right to name the animals. So you do not think GOD honors people who talk about his character with different terms, or in different Langauges. Got news for you, ENGLISH was not even spoken THROUGHOUT Bible years. What about THE GREAT SPIRIT, used by monotheistic Tribes?

There are lots of words we CHRISTIANS use that are not in the BIBLE, did you turn Muslim or something? The only reason I said that is, those are the kind of implications that Muslims Inmates used to ask me about as a Volunteer Chaplain.

THE FATHER = the part of GOD who is "The Shot-Caller", the one Who WILLS what is to be done.
JESUS CHRIST (both pre-incarnate and incarnate) = the part of GOD who carries out and does what the Father has willed.
THE HOLY SPIRIT = the part of GOD who enables us to do the will of the Father.
THREE PARTS, THREE DIFFERENT FUNCTIONS = ONE GOD (all THREE PARTS are Equally Deity, and there is ONLY ONE GOD.)

In the exact same manor we have three parts that together equals ONE HUMAN BEING.​
The Soul (pysche) = the part of man that "calls the shots", and wills what it wants the body to do.​
The Body = the part of man that carries out the will of the Soul.​
The Human Spirit = the part of man that has to be born of the Holy Spirit after natural birth, and then always wants to do the will of GOD.​
THREE PARTS, THREE DIFFERENT FUNCTIONS = ONE HUMAN BEING (but we were created only in HIS image, therefore none of our parts are Deity.)​
We are created in the image of GOD, and so are YOU.

You are not Eternally HOLY, but GOD is.
You are not All Knowing, but GOD is.
You are not All Powerful, but GOD is.
You are not Omnipresent, but GOD is.
You are not Sinless, but GOD is.
You are not Perfect, but GOD is.
You are not the Creator, but GOD is.
You are not perfectly JUST, but GOD is.
You are not the Author of the INSPIRED WORD OF GOD, but GOD is.
You cannot understand all Languages, but GOD can.
You cannot Hear all prayers going on at the same time in this world, but GOD can.
You cannot see the heart motives of men, but GOD can.
You cannot raise people from the Dead, but GOD can.
You cannot miraculously answer the silent prayers of others, but GOD can.
etc.
etc.
etc.

So, the only way you are created IN HIS IMAGE is three parts, (body, soul, and spirit), THAT MAKE UP ONE BEING.

Here is the simplest scripture about the Trinity that I know of.

Matthew 28:18-20 (HCSB)
18 Then Jesus came near and said to them, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.
19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

TRIUNE GOD has three DISTINCT PARTS, With THREE DISTINCT FUNCTIONS, But all Three, are coequally ONE DEITY.
NOTICE: the supposed grammatical error that should be NAMES plural, IF HE WAS NOT A SINGLE DEITY, with three Distinct Personages.

There is a verse in a modern version that uses Person, However:

Romans 5:15 (GWT)
15 There is no comparison between {God's} gift and {Adam's} failure. If humanity died as the result of one person's failure, it is certainly true that God's kindness and the gift given through the kindness of one person, Jesus Christ, have been showered on humanity.

Romans 5:17 (GWT)
17 It is certain that death ruled because of one person's failure. It's even more certain that those who receive God's overflowing kindness and the gift of his approval will rule in life because of one person, Jesus Christ.