Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 16, 2019
If anyone says we have to maintain our salvation, that is an error. We are given by God to Jesus, and He loses none.
Jesus not losing any means he can not fail in his ministry to justify and keep justified those who believe in Him. Unlike the imperfect ministry of the old covenant priests and sacrifices that could not do that. That's why we are told to keep believing in His perfect ministry that maintains our justification before the Father. It can't let you down. So don't throw away your confidence in it, like the Galatians did.

Dec 6, 2019
As well... James is not writing about some type of spurious faith... faith is faith.
Please tell me what save means in James 2:14. Paul compares dead faith to devil’s belief. You believe there is one God...the devils believe and tremble”

Works have nothing to do with salvation. But spiritual life does

Spiritual life is not dead

Dec 6, 2019
Paul is asking the Corinthian believers to see if they are abiding in the faith in their experience.
They were saved... sanctification is in view >>>>> being in the faith
To prove something, in this context, is to examine it to see if it is genuine

If we are genuine, all the promises, including faith that endures are ours

Dec 6, 2019
I agree with Posthuman, they are addressing, all the Disciples of Jesus Christ, however SOME OF THEM ARE NOT SAVED.

In the Parable of the Gates:

Matthew 7:13-23 (NASB)
13 "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.
14 "For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are
few who find it.
15 "Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves.
16 "You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they?
17 "So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit.
18 "A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit.
19 "Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
20 "So then, you will know them by their fruits.
21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.
"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'
23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you
[that is the inner, personal, Love Relationship, that only comes when you receive HIM as LORD meaning MASTER] DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Both WAYS, are only filled with disciples of Jesus Christ, and unbelievers are not even in this picture.

One WAY leads to the Destruction of Hades/Hell.

The Other WAY leads to Eternal Life.

This absolutely should be read in CONTEXT, because the MANY in verse 22 refers to the MANY in verse 13.

THEY ALL ARE DISCIPLES, which only means FOLLOWERS, and does not MEAN that they are SAVED.

HOWEVER, only those who enter the small Gate onto the narrow WAY, are Born Again Christians.

AND NOTICE, only a FEW find that WAY.

John 3:3 (HCSB)
3 Jesus replied,I assure you: Unless someone is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

John 3:6 (HCSB)
6 Whatever is born of the flesh is flesh, and whatever is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Yes. Not all who are called disciples are saved. John 6:66. And in another place Jesus said “if you continue in my Word, you are my disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free”

Those who are disciples indeed continue in Jesus’ Word. It does not mean we have to continue to become disciples. It means that such is a characteristic of one who is already a true disciple

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
He compared it to a distance race. I know I can go to Hell. Paul knew he could be disqualified. We must follow the Lord our God wholeheartedly.

Just a horrific interpretation of this passage. Par for the course from this poster.

No one more than Paul knew he was eternally secure in his Salvation. Much of 1 Corinthians 9 deals with REWARDS, NOT LOSS OF SALVATION!

Salvation is NOT a prize to be won. It is a fee gift given by God. Paul feared being disqualified for different rewards.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
That is what Calvinism teaches.
It says your believing is just there. You don't do it. It's just there because God wants it to be there, because you were purposely chosen ahead of time for that to happen to you, irregardless of your say in the matter, while others have purposely been not chosen to have that happen to them.

Like I say, what a meaningless, inglorious, horrible gospel.
Calvinism is saying God does not win the love of his creation, but has to manufacture it in them without any input from them.
that's nice you hate whatever kind of -ism it was you were describing, and you want God to work very hard to woo you & compete for your affection.

what about Hebrews 3 tho?

Dec 6, 2019
that's nice you hate whatever kind of -ism it was you were describing.

what about Hebrews 3 tho?
I meant to reply to a judges here, but since I already typed it, I will edit it and leave it as addressed to posthuman

It is not God manufacturing love. It is God raising people to spiritual life. People who are spiritually alive love God

The kind of talk that says “God manufactures love” is neither Calvinist or Biblical. That is talk as if God is unlovable. Those who know God love Him, because He beautiful, and worthy of love

God does not have to manufacture love. People just need to know who He is, who they are, and what He has done for them.

And if we love Him, the more we love Him, the more it will show in our actions. All good doctrine is based on these principles. If we emphasize anything else, we are emphasizing the wrong things

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
It is not God manufacturing love. It is God raising people to spiritual life. People who are spiritually alive love God

You talk as if God is unlovable. Those who know God love Him, because He beautiful, and worthy of love

God does not have to manufacture love. People just need to know who He is, who they are, and what He has done for them.

And if we love Him, the more we love Him, the more it will show in our actions. All good doctrine is based on these principles. If we emphasize anything else, we are emphasizing the wrong things

Dec 6, 2019
I meant to reply to a judges here, but since I already typed it, I will edit it and leave it as addressed to posthuman

The kind of talk that says “God manufactures love” is neither Calvinist or Biblical. That is talk as if God is unlovable. Those who know God love Him, because He beautiful, and worthy of love

The last post was to Judges. Sorry posthuman

Dec 12, 2013
Keep believing all his words and trust in him daily, and Christ will keep you righteous before the Father. If you stop believing and trusting, and you refuse to come back, you will no longer have the intercessory ministry of Christ operating on your behalf in heaven to keep you righteous before God because that ministry is applied to you through faith.
@Rosemaryx does not buy your self saving drivel Ralph......get that through your head. The JESUS we know is the on that FINISHES and COMPLETES the work of faith in us....NOT the false JEEZUS you peddle like a street organ player in Calcutta with a religious hoop jumping monkey pal!

Dec 12, 2013
Some believe that continuance in faith is NOT synonomous with self maintained faith.

Hebrews 3:6 and Hebrews 3:14 seem to indicate a holding fast to confidence that is not self maintained, but rather a result of what God has already done and is doing.

If anyone says we have to maintain our salvation, that is an error. We are given by God to Jesus, and He loses none.
Well, you are openly supporting one that peddles the loss of salvation and a self maintained faith.......so.......why not come clean with who you really are and what you really believe!

Dec 12, 2013
Keep believing all his words and trust in him daily, and Christ will keep you righteous before the Father. If you stop believing and trusting, and you refuse to come back, you will no longer have the intercessory ministry of Christ operating on your behalf in heaven to keep you righteous before God because that ministry is applied to you through faith.
This is SO FALSE I had to address it again....FOR any and ALL that read this post....it is not only false, but IMV Satanic.........

My bible states that Christ intercedes FOREVER on our behalf and that HE NEVER leaves us or forsakes us and that HE is the one that finishes and completes the work of faith in US......do not believe the highlighted heresy above in this post.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
He compared it to a distance race. I know I can go to Hell. Paul knew he could be disqualified. We must follow the Lord our God wholeheartedly.

In family devotions we looked at the 1st 4 letters to the churches in Revelation. Jesus threatens to remove Ephesus’ lamp stand. Smyrna was blameless. Pergamum was in real danger. Thyratira was about to face judgement for their tolerance of wickedness and wicked teaching.

True believers of the true Jesus “serve Him with fear, and rejoice with trembling.” All Truth is held in tension. Lots of Christians are just looking for a get out of jail free card. It won’t work no matter how many millions treat Jesus with the same wishful thinking.

1576447124368.jpeg

Another one who thinks you can LOSE YOUR SALVATION.

John 10:27-28 (HCSB)
27 My sheep hear My voice, I know them, and they follow Me.
28 I give them
eternal life, and they will never perish—ever!
No one will snatch them out of My hand.

It is NOT ETERNAL if you can Lose it. -- PERIOD!

No one certainly includes yourself. -- PERIOD!

SO YOU ARE SAYING YOU DO NOT BELIEVE JESUS ? ? ?

Dec 12, 2013
"Bottom line: ONLY believers are saved."

Seeing as Satan believes in God, do you think you ought to add a caveat?
More ignorance in this post...........apples to oranges.......belief in GOD compared to saving faith.....another cake taker!

Dec 12, 2013
Satan believes in God, he absolutely knows God exists, but he does not believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and is not saved. (Acts 16:31)
Big difference.
These salvation losers grasp at every possible straw under the sun to peddle their JEEZUS that casts people away, does not keep his promises and has about as much power as a cheap hand held vacuum from Walmart.....it is sickening how they devalue JESUS and gonna be smoking hot for all fast teachers that lead people to hell!