Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
:ROFL: If you don't know it, don't bring it up. Why should anyone do the work you didn't find worthy in order to sustain your words.
See, people can come here to learn scripture too. That's why it helps to not go about it half way.
Thanks anyway.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
KISS?

I am married you know😎

Only joking (it means keep it simple stupid?

For sure it's not a rote or tick box, if so then there is an issue.
Yep, that's what it means.
Or, conversely it could refer to the face painted rock group, but I don't think that's what I meant.
;)

Ogom

Aug 22, 2020
ogom.co
I think a get what you are saying.

For me the issue is "I hated"

Why create a human to only hate them?

Is it not hate of what they do and thwrp reject them for what they do?

Did God hate Cain?
He rejected his sacrifice.

Easier is OT, the sacrifice of Jesus in NT.

For God so loved the world. Not hated some.
That's what I'm struggling with.
14What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all!

15For he says to Moses,
“I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” f

16It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. 17For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” g 18Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

19One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?” 20But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’ ” h 21Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?

22What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? 23What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— 24even us,

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Genesis 25:29One day, while Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the field and was famished. 30He said to Jacob, “Let me eat some of that red stew, for I am famished.” (That is why he was also called Edom.31“First sell me your birthright,” Jacob replied.
Edom=Red
Edom.)
אֱדֽוֹם׃ (’ĕ·ḏō·wm)
Noun - proper - masculine singular
Strong's Hebrew 123: The name of a condiment
Verse 30. - And Esau said unto Jacob, Feed me (literally, let me swallow, an expression for eating greedily), I pray thee, with that same red pottage; - literally, of that red, red (sc. pottage), or thing, in his excitement forgetting the name of the dish (Knobel), or indicative of the haste produced by his voracious appetite (Wordsworth, Luther), though the duplication of the term red has been explained as a witty play upon the resemblance of the lentil broth to his own red skin, as thus: "Feed with that red me the red one" (Lange) - for I am faint (vide supra, ver. 29): therefore was his name called Edom - i.e. red. "There is no discrepancy in ascribing his name both to his complexion and the color of the lentil broth. The propriety of a name may surely be marked by different circumstances" (A. G. in Lunge). The Arabians are fond of giving surnames of that kind to famous persons. Cf. Akil-al Murat, which was given to Hodjr, king of the Kendites, owing to his wife saying in a passion, "He is like a camel that devours bushes" (vide Havernick, 'Introduction,' § 18).

H119

אָדַם

'âdam

aw-dam'

To show blood (in the face), that is, flush or turn rosy: - be (dyed, made) red (ruddy).

Total KJV occurrences: 10

Gen 25:29 One day, while Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau happened to come in from being outdoors, and he was feeling famished.

Gen 25:30 Esau told Jacob, "Let me gobble down some of this red stuff, since I'm starving." (That's how Esau got his nickname "Edom".)

Gen 25:31 But Jacob responded, "Sell me your birthright. Do it now."

Gen 25:32 "Look! I'm about to die." Esau replied. "What good is this birthright to me?"

Gen 25:33 But Jacob insisted, "Swear it by an oath right now." So he swore an oath to him and sold his birthright to Jacob.

Gen 25:34 Then Jacob gave Esau some of his food, along with some boiled stew. So Esau ate, drank, got up, and left, after having belittled his own birthright.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Adam is the root of Edom.

Isa 63:1 "Who is this coming from Edom, from Bozrah, in garments stained crimson? Who is this, robed in such splendor, marching in his great might? It is I, speaking in vindication, mighty to save.

Isa 63:2 "Why is your clothing red, and your garments like those worn by the ones who tread in the winepress?

Isa 63:3 "I have trodden the winepress alone, and from my people no one was with me, I trampled them in my anger and trod them down in my wrath; their lifeblood spattered on my garments, and I stained all my clothing.

Isa 63:4 "For the day of vengeance was in my heart, and the year for my redeeming work had come.

Isa 63:5 I looked, but there was no helper, I was appalled that there was no one to give support; so my own arm brought me victory, and as for my wrath, it supported me.

Isa 63:6 I trampled people in my anger; in my wrath I made them drunk and I poured out their lifeblood on the ground."

The birthright is Sonship through Yeshua ha Meshiah. The only condition is to believe unto salvation.

To reject? Rejected. Not because Father hates men. But, because in Adam, there is nothing but Yeshua (Jesus) who can save.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
Adam is the root of Edom.
True.
123. edom
Strong's Concordance
edom: the name of a condiment
Original Word: אֱדֹם
Part of Speech: Proper Name Masculine
Transliteration: edom
Phonetic Spelling: (ed-ome')
Definition: the name of a condiment
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
from the same as adom [more reading at link]
119. adom
Strong's Concordance
adom: to be red
Original Word: אָדָם
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: adom
Phonetic Spelling: (aw-dam')
Definition: to be red
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
from an unused word
Definition
to be red
NASB Translation
dyed red (6), red (3), ruddy (1).
[more information at link]

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I don’t remember where I saw this but I know it’s Jewish thought that Adam might of been red haired and fair skinned.

If so, then he must of carried all nations within him. ? Is beyond my understanding. Now am wondering if there’s a scripture that states this. *looking*

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
God Almighty is the Creator. Can the created really decide if God is right or wrong? God will give mercy to whom He will give mercy. The word hate in biblical times also was defined as dislike, love less.

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
Let’s keep it going, an important topic

It is by far the most important thread in my opinion on this site. I see so many trying to do enough works to "earn salvation" that it makes me anxious. I believe we are led to do "works" after we have been saved and we receive the Holy Spirit but not working in order to save our souls.

E

eternally-gratefull

It is by far the most important thread in my opinion on this site. I see so many trying to do enough works to "earn salvation" that it makes me anxious. I believe we are led to do "works" after we have been saved and we receive the Holy Spirit but not working in order to save our souls.
Works started with Cain and continues. It’s satans greatest victory to keep people from truth it feeds their pride and keeps them from truth

Ogom

Aug 22, 2020
ogom.co
Works started with Cain and continues. It’s satans greatest victory to keep people from truth it feeds their pride and keeps them from truth
works of Darkness we should avoid and overcome and leave behind daily (Dead Works). works of Light we should do and honour and cultivate in ourselves daily (Live Works).

Acts 24:14-16 But this I confess to you, that according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our fathers, believing everything laid down by the Law and written in the Prophets, 15 having a hope in God, which these men themselves accept, that there will be a resurrection of both the just and the unjust. 16 So I always take pains to have a clear conscience toward both God and man.

Read full chapter

E

eternally-gratefull

works of Darkness we should avoid and overcome and leave behind daily (Dead Works). works of Light we should do and honour and cultivate in ourselves daily (Live Works).

Acts 24:14-16 But this I confess to you, that according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our fathers, believing everything laid down by the Law and written in the Prophets, 15 having a hope in God, which these men themselves accept, that there will be a resurrection of both the just and the unjust. 16 So I always take pains to have a clear conscience toward both God and man.

Read full chapter
We are speaking Of works people do to earn salvation not works if sanctificarion

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
Works will come from those Saved by the Grace of God because a person filled with the Holy Spirit of God will have a deep desire to "work for the Lord." Works to obtain and keep salvation is a sin against God and His work of grace and mercy

E

eternally-gratefull

Works will come from those Saved by the Grace of God because a person filled with the Holy Spirit of God will have a deep desire to "work for the Lord." Works to obtain and keep salvation is a sin against God and His work of grace and mercy
Works done to earn or keep salvation basically tells God his work is enough, and we still have something we can offer to God as payment for sin

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Works done to earn or keep salvation basically tells God his work is enough, and we still have something we can offer to God as payment for sin
Very sad when we do not get or understand that the payment for sin was paid for on the cross with the precious blood of Jesus.

There is nothing we can do to top up that payment as it was paid in full.
"It is finished (tetelestai)

Literally translated the word tetelestai means, “It is finished.” The word occurs in John 19:28 and 19:30 and these are the only two places in the New Testament where it occurs. In 19:28 it is translated, “After this, when Jesus knew that all things were now completed, in order that the scripture might be fulfilled, he said, ‘I thirst.’” Two verses later, he utters the word himself: “Then when he received the sour wine Jesus said, ‘It is finished,’ and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.”
The word tetelestai was also written on business documents or receipts in New Testament times to show indicating that a bill had been paid in full. The Greek-English lexicon by Moulton and Milligan says this:
“Receipts are often introduced by the phrase [sic] tetelestai, usually written in an abbreviated manner...” (p. 630). The connection between receipts and what Christ accomplished would have been quite clear to John’s Greek-speaking readership; it would be unmistakable that Jesus Christ had died to pay for their sins. (Bible.org)

https://www.ciu.edu/content/it-finished-look-greek