Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Hello Brother Jackson,

Yes indeed the verse does refer to the special annual sabbaths of the Jewish festivals, because these special Sabbaths were used only for the annual festivals and were on any day of the week. They were not God's 4th commandment of the 7th day.

The annual festivals were part of the ceremonial laws pointing to the coming of Jesus therefore shadow laws. The 4th commandment (Exodus 20:8-11) is part of the 10 commandments which the bible says are forever and has never been a part of the ceremonial laws of Moses as it was given as a memorial of creation to mankind as part of a FINISHED work (Gen 2:1-3) BEFORE SIN entered the world. Just like any of God's other commandments if you knowingly break it you commit SIN and are in danger of the judgement.

For your own sake you need to be careful now brother Jackson as the Word of God has indeed come to you and if you choose to reject it you do so of your own choosing. If you choose not to reject it or accept it the decision is now yours alone.

I do not judge you. However the Word of God will indeed judge all of us in the last days (John 12:47-48). SIN and UNBELIEF in God's Word will keep all who practice it out of God's Kingdom.

My prayer for you is that you carefully study post # 87 with the attached scripture links provided.

There is not one scripture in ALL of God's WORD that says God's 4th commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to worship God on Sunday in it's place. There is NO scripture that says Jesus is a Sabbath.

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has lead many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

Who should we follow the teachings and traditions of men or the Word of God? Who should we believe the Words of men or the Word of God?

May God bless you as you seek Him through His Word.
Hello brother LoveGodForever.

thank for your concern, and I appreciate that. Not that I hate you, but I am not agree in this matter.

I know you are SDA and they teach to keep sabbath. But after learn about SDA, how they predict end time, how they do not believe in eternal hell, and about sabbath, I think you reconsider what you believe.

Sabath th days in colosians is plural, and according to you, there are 2 kind of sabbath.

Weekly sabbath and yearly sabbath.

than why you interpreted sabbath in colosians only yearly sabbath.?

Oh Jesus, open our eyes so we understand your words correctly

I love you brother, and I honestly pray for you.

Jun 5, 2017
Hi LGF, I hope all is well with you.
If you do not mind me saying, to me you are saying that if one fails the 4th commandment then they fall foul of the rest.
Even if they keep 5-10
Hello BillG,

I am not saying anything I am no one and only a messenger. God's Word says that if we break any of the 10 commandments we stand guilty before God of committing SIN (James 2:11; Romans 7:7; Romans 3:20; 1 John 3:4)

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten ( Exodus 20:8-11 ) and like any of the ten, if we knowingly break it when God ask s us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

James 2
8, If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:
9, But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
10, For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
11, For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
12, So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

Does it really matter if a believer observes the Sabbath on a Sunday? I think if we look at the rich young ruler. He says "I have kept all the commandment's" Yet Jesus saw through this and sad the real God in his life. His riches.
If we break any of God's commandments we stand guilty before God or committing SIN and SIN will keep you out of God's Kingdom unless you seek Jesus in repentance and forgiveness (Romans 6:23; Acts 3:19; 1 John 1:9; Acts 5:32; Hebrews 10:26-27)

Jesus showed the rich young ruler that although he fulfilled his duty of Love to his neighbor he was breaking the first three commandments of His duty of LOVE to God and that he loved his riches more then God. SIN will keep all who knowingly practice it out of God's Kingdom.

You say or it comes across that Sunday worship is observed then those who do so break all the commandment's of God. That could be said of breaking 5-10. There is nothing in scripture that says that these commandments have been broken either.
I have this as a signature of late which says.........

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten ( Exodus 20:8-11 ) and like any of the ten, if we knowingly break it when God ask s us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

There is not one scripture in ALL of God's WORD that says God's 4th commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to worship God on Sunday in it's place.

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has lead many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

Who should we follow the teachings and traditions of men or the Word of God? Who should we believe the Words of men or the Word of God?

The statement above does NOT say worshiping God on Sunday is breaking God's commandments. It says that; Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of men that has lead many to break the commandments of God.

This is based on the scripture spoken by Jesus in Matthew 15:3-9 that says those that follow these practices are not following God.

Matthew 15

3, But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
4, For God commanded, saying, Honor thy father and mother: and, He that curses father or mother, let him die the death.
5, But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou might be profited by me;
6, And honor not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
7, Ye hypocrites, well did Isaiah prophesy of you, saying,
8, This people draws nigh unto me with their mouth, and honors me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
9, But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

How do you interpret to the following

Matthew 12:1-14
Chapter 12
Jesus Is Lord of the Sabbath
1 At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. And His disciples were hungry, and began to pluck heads of grain and to eat.
2 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to Him, “Look, Your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath!”
3 But He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him:
4 how he entered the house of God and ate the showbread which was not lawful for him to eat, nor for those who were with him, but only for the priests?5 Or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath, and are blameless?
6 Yet I say to you that in this place there is One greater than the temple.7 But if you had known what this means, ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless.
8 For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”
9 Now when He had departed from there, He went into their synagogue.
10 And behold, there was a man who had a withered hand. And they asked Him, saying, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”—that they might accuse Him.
11 Then He said to them, “What man is there among you who has one sheep, and if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will not lay hold of it and lift it out?
12 Of how much more value then is a man than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.”
13 Then He said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” And he stretched it out, and it was restored as whole as the other.
14 Then the Pharisees went out and plotted against Him, how they might destroy Him.
The Jews had placed so many restrictions and mad made traditions on the Sabbath that it had become a burden to the people (context is Matt 12:2; see also Matt 12:10; Mark 2:24; 3:2-4 Luke 6:2; 7-9; 13:10-16 etc .) Then in Matt 12:10-12 in the same chapter Jesus goes on to say it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath! Jesus came to teach us how to keep the Sabbath and it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath (Mark 3:4; Luke 6:9) and is why Jes us says that the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath (Mark 2:27). This is why God’s Word says If anyone is knowingly and wilfully breaking any of the 10 commandments, including the 7th Day Sabbath you are deceiving yourself and not obeying or following God (James 2:8-12).

What did Jesus and the Apostles teach about the Sabbath in the New Testament……….

1. It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath (Matt 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56)
2. Jesus made the Sabbath for all mankind (Hebrews 1:2; John 1:1-3; 14; Ephesians 3:9; Colossians 1:16-17; Mark 2:27)
3. Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath day (Matthew 12:8; Mark 2:28)
4. If you do not believe and follow God you cannot enter His Sabbath rest (Hebrews 4)
5. It is one of God’s 10 commandments we break it we are guilty or breaking all (James 2:8-12)
6. Breaking it is sin (1 John 3:4)
7. God’s true followers keep it Holy as God commanded (Rev 14:12; Rev 22:14; Eze 20:20)
8. Jesus is our example and he kept the Sabbath (Matt 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56; John 2:6; Matt 16:24; 1 Cor 11:1; Eph 5:1-21; Pet 2:20-22)
9. The Apostle kept the Sabbath (Acts 13:14; 13:27; 13:44; 15:21; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4; Rev 1:10)

God’s Law in the NC is written on our hearts it is through love and it is love the fulfils God’s Law in us as we walk not after the flesh but after the spirit and is why Jesus says f you love me keep my commandments. (John 14:15; John 15:10).

If we knowingly break one of God’s commandments we commit sin (1 John 3:4). This includes the 7th Day Sabbath which Jesus made for us and commands us to keep as a holy day.

Can you provide verses in the NT under the new covenant for new covenant believers to observe the Sabbath as you set it.
Yes God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) and like any of the ten, if we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

God's Law (10 commandments) in the New Testament

1 You shall have no other gods before Me.
It is written: You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only you shall serve. (Luke 4:8; Matthew 4:10; Revelation 14:7)

2 You must not make for yourself a carved image, a likeness of anything in heaven, on earth, or under the sea.
God is Spirit and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth. (John 4:24; Acts 15:20; 1 Corinthians 6:9; Ephesians 5:5; 1 Peter 4:3; 1 John 5:21; Revelation 2:14)

3 You shall not take the Name of the Lord your God in vain.
(1 Timothy 6:1, James 2:7)

4 Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
The Sabbath [seventh day] was made for man, not man for the Sabbath, so the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath. (Mark 2:27-28, Hebrews 4; Matthew 12:8; Matthew 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56(Mark 2:28; Matthew 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56; John 2:6; Matthew 16:24; 1 Corinthians 11:1; Ephesians 5:1-21; 1 Peter 2:20-22; Acts 13:14; 13:27; 13:44; 15:21; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4; Revelations 1:10 Is binding on all mankind today COL 2:14-17 THE REAL TRUTH THREAD (Linked)

5 Honour your father and mother.
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. (Ephesians 6:1; Colossians 3:20; Matthew 15:4; Matthew 19:19)

6 You shall not murder.
I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:44-45; Matt. 5:21-26; Romans 13:9; 1 Timothy 1:9; 1 John 3:15; James 2:11; Matthew 19:18)

7 You shall not commit adultery.
I say to you whoever even looks at another in lust has already committed adultery in their heart. (Matthew 5:28, 1 Cor. 5:11, 1 Cor. 6:18, Galatians 5:19, Hebrews 13:4, James 2:11, Matthew 19:19, Romans 13:9)

8 You shall not steal.
Neither thieves, the greedy, or drunkards and robbers will inherit the Kingdom. (1 Corinthians 6:10, Romans 2:21, Mark 7:21, Ephesians 4:28, Romans 13:9, Matthew 19:18)

9 You shall not bear false witness.
For by your words, you will be justified and by your words you will be condemned. (Matthew 15:19, Ephesians 4:25, Col. 3:9; Matthew 19:18, Romans 13:9)

10 You shall not covet your neighbours possessions.
Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist of the things he possesses. (Luke 12:15, Romans 7:7, Ephesians 5:3, 1 Tim. 6:10, Hebrews 13:5, Romans 13:9)

There is a lot of scriptures here and we have not even looked at all the scriptures in the NT on the 10 commandments on which the 4th commandment is one of the ten.

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Also when with verses that if they do not then they break all the commandment's of God 1-10.
James 2
8, If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:
9, But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
10, For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
11, For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
12, So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

Romans 7
What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Romans 3
Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

1 John 3
Whosoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Further more it is written that God's Law (10 commandments) which includes the 4th commandment is FOREVER............

GOD’S LAW (10 commandments) ARE FOREVER

The Law of God (10 commandments) is the work of God ( Exodus 32:16 ) whatsoe ver God does is forever nothing can be added to it or taken away ( Ecclesiastes 3:14 ). God's Law is perfect converting the soul (Psalms 19:7). It is t he very foundation of the Old and New Covenants and the Judgement to come (Exodus 20:1:17, Hebrews 8:10-12; Exodus 36:26-27; Jeremiah 31:33-34; Hebrews 10:26-28; Romans 1:29-32;2:-9;2 Corinthians 5:10; Hebrews 9:2 7; Ecclesiastes 12:13-14, James 2:10-12, 1 John 3:4, Acts 17:31).

God's Law was spoken by God himself to His people ( Exodus 20:1-22 ). God’s 10 commandments are the spoken word of God ( Exodus 20:1-22 ). God’s Word does not pass away ( Matthew 25:35 ). Gods Law is st il l in force today ( Psalms 111:7-8, Revelations 12:17, 14:12, 22:14, 1 John 3:5-8, 1 John 2:3-4; James 2:8-12 et c.).

God’s Law reveals sin to us and the penalty of sin so we can see ourselves as we truly are sinners in need of a Saviour (Romans 6:23; Romans 3:20; 1 John 3:4 ). It is the great standard of the judgement (Hebrews 10:26-28; Romans 1:29-32; Romans 2:2-13; 2 Corinthians 5 :10; Hebrews 9:27; Ecclesiastes 12:13-14, James 2:10-12, 1 John 3:4, Acts 17:31 ).

God's Law is our teacher revealing sin and brings us to Christ at the foot of the cross that we might be sav ed by faith by Him who loves us and washed us in His own blood as we have faith (Galatians 3:24; Revelations 1:5). God writes His Law in our hearts so that we become like him and we follow hi m because we love him (Hebrews 8:10-12) LOVE is the fulfilling (doing) of God's Law (R omans 13:10). This is why Jesus says to those that love him If you love me keep my commandments (John 14:15).

Please check the scriptures like the faithful Bareans to see if these things be true of not....

Jun 5, 2017
than why you interpreted sabbath in colosians only yearly sabbath.? than why you interpreted sabbath in colosians only yearly sabbath.?
Hello Brother Jackson,

If you did read the post I sent you (see post # 87) you would not have asked these question as they are already answered there.

It does indeed seem you have chosen to ignore the post with all the scriptures how sad for you my friend :(

You are free to do as you wish but know the Word of God has come to you. I do not judge you as everyone can choose for themselves to believe and follow the Word of God or the teachings and traditions of men. Be aware however that it is the Word of God that will judge us all in the last days....

John 12
47, And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
48, He that rejects me, and receives not my words, hath one that judges him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

There is not one scripture in ALL of God's WORD that says God's 4th commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to worship God on Sunday in it's place. There is NO scripture that says Jesus is a Sabbath.

I will indeed pray for you..

May God be with you as you seek Him through His Word.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Hello Brother Jackson,

Yes indeed the verse does refer to the special annual sabbaths of the Jewish festivals, because these special Sabbaths were used only for the annual festivals and were on any day of the week. They were not God's 4th commandment of the 7th day.

The annual festivals were part of the ceremonial laws pointing to the coming of Jesus therefore shadow laws. The 4th commandment (Exodus 20:8-11) is part of the 10 commandments which the bible says are forever and has never been a part of the ceremonial laws of Moses as it was given as a memorial of creation to mankind as part of a FINISHED work (Gen 2:1-3) BEFORE SIN entered the world. Just like any of God's other commandments if you knowingly break it you commit SIN and are in danger of the judgement.

For your own sake you need to be careful now brother Jackson as the Word of God has indeed come to you and if you choose to reject it you do so of your own choosing. If you choose not to reject it or accept it the decision is now yours alone.

I do not judge you. However the Word of God will indeed judge all of us in the last days (John 12:47-48). SIN and UNBELIEF in God's Word will keep all who practice it out of God's Kingdom.

My prayer for you is that you carefully study post # 87 with the attached scripture links provided.

Hello brother loveGodforever

I did read #87 and I did respond, and you say the same thing that I am not agree with

sabbath days plural as a shadow of Jesus, you interprate as only yearly sabbath.

Colosians never say sabbath days mean yearly sabbath.

To me sabbath days plural mean any sabbath bath day is shadow.

Jun 5, 2017
Yes that is because you do not read the Old Testament scriptures so you do not know what the scripture meaning is. The same as you do not know the meaning of the same scripture of Col 2:16 when it refers to the New Moons, Festivals, meat and drink in the same verse.

My earlier post was to help you see that the scripture is referring to the annual festival sabbaths of the Mosaic laws and not God's 4th commandment which is one of the ten commandments.

You have the scriptures there so no need to talk about it anymore. It is between you and God what you choose to believe or not believe.

Let God's Word judge between us as it is the Word that will judge us on judgement day. If I am wrong there is nothing to worry about I will see you in God's Kingdom.

However if for some reason I am right. You will need to answer to God for breaking His 4th Commandments which is one of the ten commandments.

God's Grace is to to save us from sin. It is not a license to sin. If anyone is living a life of known unrepentant SIN by rejecting His Word they will not enter into God's Kingdom (Acts 17:31-32; Hebrews 10:26-27).

Dec 4, 2017

I did read #87 and I did respond, and you say the same thing that I am not agree with

sabbath days plural as a shadow of Jesus, you interprate as only yearly sabbath.

Colosians never say sabbath days mean yearly sabbath.

I thought of the shadow as the shade or cool of day.

In Christ a person has entered into rest.

Jun 5, 2017
In Christ a person has entered into rest.
Only those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's Word have entered God's Rest. Those that do not BELIEVE God's Word and do not follow it do not know Him who loves all (Hebrews 4; 1 John 3:6)

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Yes that is because you do not read the Old Testament scriptures so you do not know what the scripture meaning is. The same as you do not know the meaning of the same scripture of Col 2:16 when it refers to the New Moons, Festivals, meat and drink in the same verse.

My earlier post was to help you see that the scripture is referring to the annual festival sabbaths of the Mosaic laws and not God's 4th commandment which is one of the ten commandments.

You have the scriptures there so no need to talk about it anymore. It is between you and God what you choose to believe or not believe.

Let God's Word judge between us as it is the Word that will judge us on judgement day. If I am wrong there is nothing to worry about I will see you in God's Kingdom.

However if for some reason I am right. You will need to answer to God for breaking His 4th Commandments which is one of the ten commandments.

God's Grace is to to save us from sin. It is not a license to sin. If anyone is living a life of known unrepentant SIN by rejecting His Word they will not enter into God's Kingdom (Acts 17:31-32; Hebrews 10:26-27).
i am sorry for the different between us. But I did read Leviticus 23:24 about yearly sabbath.
let me show you how he spell : a sabbath, a mean singular.
so yearly sabbath consider as singular and weekly sabbath consider as singular and colosians 2 plural (sabbath days) because it is both weekly and yearly sabbath are shadow.

23 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
24 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation.
25 Ye shall do no servile work therein: but ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Only those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's Word have entered God's Rest. Those that do not BELIEVE God's Word and do not follow it do not know Him who loves all (Hebrews 4; 1 John 3:6)
Brother LoveGodForever. Yes only those who believe the word of God have a rest

and the word of God spell yearly sabbath as singular(a ​sabbath)

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
i am sorry for the different between us. But I did read Leviticus 23:24 about yearly sabbath.
let me show you how he spell : a sabbath, a mean singular.
so yearly sabbath consider as singular and weekly sabbath consider as singular and colosians 2 plural (sabbath days) because it is both weekly and yearly sabbath are shadow.

23 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
24 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation.
25 Ye shall do no servile work therein: but ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord.
Amen brother! When God wanted to refer to the whole system of Jewish holy days, rather than name all of them, He would refer to the yearly, monthly and weekly as representing the whole system. Sabbatarians argue that the Sabbath Day of Colossians 2:16 is merely the yearly Sabbaths. But yearly Sabbaths were already referred to in Colossians 2:16 as "festivals". The "Year, Month, Week" pattern is so well established in the Old Testament, that Colossians 2:16 must refer to the weekly Sabbath. :)

Sabbatarians are taught by their pastors, the false argument that the Plural "sabbaton" in Colossians 2:16 cannot refer to weekly Sabbath day. But as we can clearly see, there are at least 5 other places where the plural is used of the weekly Sabbath.

1. Matthew 28:1, "Now after the Sabbath" [Greek- plural: sabbaton]
2. Luke 4:16, "He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath" [Greek- plural: sabbaton]
3. Acts 16:13, "And on the Sabbath day" [Greek- plural: sabbaton]
4. Exodus 20:8 (in Septuagint) "Remember the Sabbath day" [Greek- plural: sabbaton]
5. Leviticus 23:37-38 (in Septuagint) "besides those of the Sabbaths of the Lord" [Greek- plural: sabbaton]

Don't be fooled by SDA's and other misguided modern day teachers of the law who turn keeping the Sabbath day under the Old Covenant into a legalistic prescription for Christians under the New Covenant. SDA's even teach the ludicrous doctrine that those who do not keep the Sabbath day on Saturday and worship God on Sunday will receive the mark of the beast! :rolleyes:

Bible Truth Versus Adventist Truth - Mark of the Beast

Dec 4, 2017
True, and it is our responsibility as the faithfull, to not hinder those that would enter.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Amen brother! When God wanted to refer to the whole system of Jewish holy days, rather than name all of them, He would refer to the yearly, monthly and weekly as representing the whole system. Sabbatarians argue that the Sabbath Day of Colossians 2:16 is merely the yearly Sabbaths. But yearly Sabbaths were already referred to in Colossians 2:16 as "festivals". The "Year, Month, Week" pattern is so well established in the Old Testament, that Colossians 2:16 must refer to the weekly Sabbath. :)

Sabbatarians are taught by their pastors, the false argument that the Plural "sabbaton" in Colossians 2:16 cannot refer to weekly Sabbath day. But as we can clearly see, there are at least 5 other places where the plural is used of the weekly Sabbath.

2. Luke 4:16, "He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath" [Greek- plural: sabbaton]
4. Exodus 20:8 (in Septuagint) "Remember the Sabbath day" [Greek- plural: sabbaton]
5. Leviticus 23:37-38 (in Septuagint) "besides those of the Sabbaths of the Lord" [Greek- plural: sabbaton]

Don't be fooled by SDA's and other misguided modern day teachers of the law who turn keeping the Sabbath day under the Old Covenant into a legalistic prescription for Christians under the New Covenant. SDA's even teach the ludicrous doctrine that those who do not keep the Sabbath day on Saturday and worship God on Sunday will receive the mark of the beast! :rolleyes:

Bible Truth Versus Adventist Truth - Mark of the Beast
And after I check, Matt 28:1 is weekly sabbath, not yearly sabbath and they use sabbaton, so sabbaton plural not specifically refer to yearly sabbath

Look :
as it began to dawn toward the first of the week, or began toward Sunday. That mean Saturday or weekly sabbaton.

Matt
28 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Jun 5, 2017
And after I check, Matt 28:1 is weekly sabbath, not yearly sabbath and they use sabbaton, so sabbaton plural not specifically refer to yearly sabbath

Look : as it began to dawn toward the first of the week, or began toward Sunday. That mean Saturday or weekly sabbaton.

Matt 28 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
Sabbatarians argue that the Sabbath Day of Colossians 2:16 is merely the yearly Sabbaths. But yearly Sabbaths were already referred to in Colossians 2:16 as "festivals". The "Year, Month, Week" pattern is so well established in the Old Testament, that Colossians 2:16 must refer to the weekly Sabbath.
Now MMD,
Seems you are just clutching at straws now cutting and pasting from other websites and pointing everyone to the teachings or men instead of the Word of God. Do you have your own view from your own bible study of God’s Word? This is so sad for you. If you do not know God’s Word for yourself how can you know God’s truth? How will you not be swept away with every wind of doctrine and be given over to believe a lie?

I see you have not posted the references to everything you have posted here which is all from the word of websites. I have already provided many scriptures so will just make a few points to your post here.

(1) CONTEXT of COL 2:16 is v14. is talking about the Mosaic laws for remission of sin that were shadows pointing to Jesus; not the ten commandments of God’s Law. Nowhere are the 10 commandments mentioned in Col chapter 2.

v11-13 Shadows of Mosaic laws of circumcision of the new heart in Christ

14, BLOTTING OUT < G1813 ἐξαλείφωexaleipho (ex-a-lei'-fō) v.means to rub out, i.e. obliterate, erase>the HANDWRITING < G5498 χειρόγραφονcheirographon (chei-ro'-gra-fon) n.means
something hand-written (“chirograph”), i.e. a manuscript specially, a legal document > of ORDINANCES < G1378 δόγμαdogma (d̮og'-ma) n. meansordinance;civil, ceremonial or ecclesiastical>that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

v20, Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, v21, Touch not; taste not; handle not; v22, Which all are to perish with the using; after the commandments and doctrines of men?

CONTEXT of the chapter is the CEREMONIAL Mosaic laws for remission of sin that are shadows pointing to Jesus and nailed to the cross with our sins. This is further highlighted that at the death of Jesus the temple vail was torn in two meaning the END of the Mosaic ceremonial laws for remission of SINS as these were fulfilled in Christ (Matthew 27:51).

Further proof that Col 2:16 is talking about the annual Jewish festivals and Mosaic laws for remission of sin? Let’s look at the subject matter of v16

(2) SUBJECT MATTER OF v16 is (1) meat, or in drink, or in (2) respect of an holyday, or of the (3) new moon, or of the (4) sabbath days (plural)

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in (1) meat, or in drink, or in (2) respect of an holyday, or of the (3) new moon, or of the (4) sabbath days (plural):
Compare Col 2:16 with the annual Jewish festivals from the Mosic laws for remission of sin...

Ezekiel 45

17, And it shall be the prince's part to give burnt offerings, and (1) meat offerings, and drink offerings, in the (2) feasts, and in the (3) new moons, and in the sabbaths <Plural>, in all solemnities of the house of Israel: he shall prepare the sin offering, and the meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace offerings, to make reconciliation for the house of Israel.
18, Thus saith the Lord GOD; In the first month, in the first day of the month, thou shalt take a young bullock without blemish, and cleanse the sanctuary:
19, And the priest shall take of the blood of the sin offering, and put it upon the posts of the house, and upon the four corners of the settle of the altar, and upon the posts of the gate of the inner court.
20, And so thou shalt do the seventh day of the month for every one that erreth, and for him that is simple: so shall ye reconcile the house.
21, In the first month, in the fourteenth day of the month, ye shall have the (2) passover, a feast of seven days; unleavened bread shall be eaten.

All CONTEXT and points 1-4 match perfectly to the Annual Jewish festivals detailed in both scriptures; also detailed in Leviticus 23; (1) meat offerings, and drink offerings, in the (2) feasts, and in the (3) new moons, and in the sabbaths <Plural>

So it is very clear the Col 2:16 is in reference to the annual Jewish Festivals from the Mosaic laws for remission of sin....

Now we have already shown that the CONTEXT of Col 2 is discussing the Mosaic ceremonial laws for remission of sin written in the book of Moses as being the Shadows pointing to Christ. It is NO WHERE talking about God’s 10 commandments in the whole chapter.

Let's focus now on the last part of v16 Sabbath days.

The root or base word for Sabbath comes from the Hebrew word for RESTED H7673. Let’s start with the Hebrew word meaning for Sabbath…..

Genesis 2:1-3; RESTED which is in reference to the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] day of the creation week meaning H7673שָׁבַתshabath (shaw-ɓath') v.to repose, i.e. to cease from exertion.KJV: (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, keep (sabbath), suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away.

The commandment H7676 means from one Sabbath to the next Sabbath is to be RESTED cease from work on the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] day of the Week…..

Exodus 20:8-11; SABBATH meaning H7676שַׁבָּתshabbath (shab-bawth') n-e.1. intermission, a period of temporary rest.2. (specifically) the Sabbath, the seventh day being the day of rest.
[intensive from H7673]KJV: (+ every) sabbath. Root(s): H7673

Leviticus 23: 3; 24; 32 SABBATH and RESTED separate or together meaning H7677 שׁבּתון shabbâthôn shab-baw-thone' From H7676; a sabbatism or special holiday: - rest, sabbath.

So the base meaning of Sabbath in the Hebrew is to rest from work (Gen) the commandment is every 7[SUP]th[/SUP] day rest from work and THEN WE HAVE THE SPECIAL FESTIVAL SABBATH(S) <more than one>OF THE MOSIAC ANNUAL FEAST LAWS, THAT WERE NOT THE 7[SUP]TH[/SUP] DAY SABBATH OF THE 4[SUP]th[/SUP] COMMANDMENT AND COULD FALL ON ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. (John 19:31 see also High Sabbaths Wiki)
So very clearly Col 2 and v16 is referring to the ceremonial Mosaic laws for remission of sin which includes annual festival Sabbath’s <plural as there is more than one of them linked to different festivals> that can fall on any day of the week; New Moons and Meat and Drink offering’s which are all linked in context to the Jewish annual festivals.

Well that is not true at all. Some people study God’s Word for themselves and asking Jesus for the Holy Spirit to be their guide and to teach them his truth. Let’s look at your scriptures to see if they are referring to the weekly Sabbath in plural.

Let’s start by looking at the GREEK Word for sabbath means G4521 σάββατονsabbaton (saɓ'-ɓa-ton) n.1. the Sabbath (i.e. Shabbath).2. a day of weekly repose from secular avocations.3. the observance or institution itself.4. (by extension) a week, i.e. the interval between two Sabbaths.
5. likewise the plural in all the above applications.[of Hebrew origin (H7676)]

Note: The GREEK Word for sabbath; sabbaton only has plural application depending on the context it is written in. Depending on the context it is written it can mean any of the 4x meaning applications above. With this in mind let’s look at the scriptures you provided below……

The direct meaning of Sabbath is to REST NO BUSINESS AND SERVILE WORK in to be carried out. The 4[SUP]th[/SUP] commandment is in relation to the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] day of the week. Under the Mosaic festival laws as highlighted above already there where Holy Convocations and Special Sabbaths in the annual Jewish festivals that could fall on ANY DAY OF THE WEEK that where linked to the ANNUAL JEWISH FESTIVALS THAT WHERE NOT PART OF GOD’S 4[SUP]TH[/SUP] COMMANDMENT.

Matthew 28:1 This is not a singular weekly sabbath event this week and is correctly translated as plural because there was two Sabbaths. It was the Passover week the week of the crucifixion where the Holy Convocation of Feast of Unleavened Bread was held, where NO Work was to be done. This fell on the normal weekly Sabbath and when this happens it is called a HIGH Sabbath day (John 19:31). So no Matthew 28:1 is not referring to a single Sabbath.

This is not a plural application of sabbaton as shown above as you have left out the rest of the scripture verse…. Luke 4:16, And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath DAY, and stood up for to read. <singular application in scripture context> So NO this is not a plural application of sabbaton.

Same as above the context is about the day singular application and not a plural application.

Now this is just a strange application as why do you need to apply a GREEK interpretation of the HEBREW language when you have the HEBREW that gives a different meaning? No need to comment here just go leek at the Hebrew Word meaning.

So nothing you have said has made your case……

Last edited:

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Now MMD,
Seems you are just clutching at straws now cutting and pasting from other websites and pointing everyone to the teachings or men instead of the Word of God. Do you have your own view from your own bible study of God’s Word? This is so sad for you. If you do not know God’s Word for yourself how can you know God’s truth? How will you not be swept away with every wind of doctrine and be given over to believe a lie?

I see you have not posted the references to everything you have posted here which is all from the word of websites. I have already provided many scriptures so will just make a few points to your post here.

(1) CONTEXT of COL 2:16 is v14. is talking about the Mosaic laws for remission of sin that were shadows pointing to Jesus; not the ten commandments of God’s Law. Nowhere are the 10 commandments mentioned in Col chapter 2.

v11-13 Shadows of Mosaic laws of circumcision of the new heart in Christ

14, BLOTTING OUT < G1813 ἐξαλείφωexaleipho (ex-a-lei'-fō) v.means to rub out, i.e. obliterate, erase>the HANDWRITING < G5498 χειρόγραφονcheirographon (chei-ro'-gra-fon) n.means
something hand-written (“chirograph”), i.e. a manuscript specially, a legal document > of ORDINANCES < G1378 δόγμαdogma (d̮og'-ma) n. meansordinance;civil, ceremonial or ecclesiastical>that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

v20, Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, v21, Touch not; taste not; handle not; v22, Which all are to perish with the using; after the commandments and doctrines of men?

CONTEXT of the chapter is the CEREMONIAL Mosaic laws for remission of sin that are shadows pointing to Jesus and nailed to the cross with our sins. This is further highlighted that at the death of Jesus the temple vail was torn in two meaning the END of the Mosaic ceremonial laws for remission of SINS as these were fulfilled in Christ (Matthew 27:51).

Further proof that Col 2:16 is talking about the annual Jewish festivals and Mosaic laws for remission of sin? Let’s look at the subject matter of v16

(2) SUBJECT MATTER OF v16 is (1) meat, or in drink, or in (2) respect of an holyday, or of the (3) new moon, or of the (4) sabbath days (plural)

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in (1) meat, or in drink, or in (2) respect of an holyday, or of the (3) new moon, or of the (4) sabbath days (plural):
Compare Col 2:16 with the annual Jewish festivals from the Mosic laws for remission of sin...

Ezekiel 45

17, And it shall be the prince's part to give burnt offerings, and (1) meat offerings, and drink offerings, in the (2) feasts, and in the (3) new moons, and in the sabbaths <Plural>, in all solemnities of the house of Israel: he shall prepare the sin offering, and the meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace offerings, to make reconciliation for the house of Israel.
18, Thus saith the Lord GOD; In the first month, in the first day of the month, thou shalt take a young bullock without blemish, and cleanse the sanctuary:
19, And the priest shall take of the blood of the sin offering, and put it upon the posts of the house, and upon the four corners of the settle of the altar, and upon the posts of the gate of the inner court.
20, And so thou shalt do the seventh day of the month for every one that erreth, and for him that is simple: so shall ye reconcile the house.
21, In the first month, in the fourteenth day of the month, ye shall have the (2) passover, a feast of seven days; unleavened bread shall be eaten.

All CONTEXT and points 1-4 match perfectly to the Annual Jewish festivals detailed in both scriptures; also detailed in Leviticus 23; (1) meat offerings, and drink offerings, in the (2) feasts, and in the (3) new moons, and in the sabbaths <Plural>

So it is very clear the Col 2:16 is in reference to the annual Jewish Festivals from the Mosaic laws for remission of sin....

Now we have already shown that the CONTEXT of Col 2 is discussing the Mosaic ceremonial laws for remission of sin written in the book of Moses as being the Shadows pointing to Christ. It is NO WHERE talking about God’s 10 commandments in the whole chapter.

Let's focus now on the last part of v16 Sabbath days.

The root or base word for Sabbath comes from the Hebrew word for RESTED H7673. Let’s start with the Hebrew word meaning for Sabbath…..

Genesis 2:1-3; RESTED which is in reference to the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] day of the creation week meaning H7673שָׁבַתshabath (shaw-ɓath') v.to repose, i.e. to cease from exertion.KJV: (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, keep (sabbath), suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away.

The commandment H7676 means from one Sabbath to the next Sabbath is to be RESTED cease from work on the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] day of the Week…..

Exodus 20:8-11; SABBATH meaning H7676שַׁבָּתshabbath (shab-bawth') n-e.1. intermission, a period of temporary rest.2. (specifically) the Sabbath, the seventh day being the day of rest.
[intensive from H7673]KJV: (+ every) sabbath. Root(s): H7673

Leviticus 23: 3; 24; 32 SABBATH and RESTED separate or together meaning H7677 שׁבּתון shabbâthôn shab-baw-thone' From H7676; a sabbatism or special holiday: - rest, sabbath.

So the base meaning of Sabbath in the Hebrew is to rest from work (Gen) the commandment is every 7[SUP]th[/SUP] day rest from work and THEN WE HAVE THE SPECIAL FESTIVAL SABBATH(S) <more than one>OF THE MOSIAC ANNUAL FEAST LAWS, THAT WERE NOT THE 7[SUP]TH[/SUP] DAY SABBATH OF THE 4[SUP]th[/SUP] COMMANDMENT AND COULD FALL ON ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. (John 19:31 see also High Sabbaths Wiki)
So very clearly Col 2 and v16 is referring to the ceremonial Mosaic laws for remission of sin which includes annual festival Sabbath’s <plural as there is more than one of them linked to different festivals> that can fall on any day of the week; New Moons and Meat and Drink offering’s which are all linked in context to the Jewish annual festivals.

Well that is not true at all. Some people study God’s Word for themselves and asking Jesus for the Holy Spirit to be their guide and to teach them his truth. Let’s look at your scriptures to see if they are referring to the weekly Sabbath in plural.

Let’s start by looking at the GREEK Word for sabbath means G4521 σάββατονsabbaton (saɓ'-ɓa-ton) n.1. the Sabbath (i.e. Shabbath).2. a day of weekly repose from secular avocations.3. the observance or institution itself.4. (by extension) a week, i.e. the interval between two Sabbaths.
5. likewise the plural in all the above applications.[of Hebrew origin (H7676)]

Note: The GREEK Word for sabbath; sabbaton only has plural application depending on the context it is written in. Depending on the context it is written it can mean any of the 4x meaning applications above. With this in mind let’s look at the scriptures you provided below……

The direct meaning of Sabbath is to REST NO BUSINESS AND SERVILE WORK in to be carried out. The 4[SUP]th[/SUP] commandment is in relation to the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] day of the week. Under the Mosaic festival laws as highlighted above already there where Holy Convocations and Special Sabbaths in the annual Jewish festivals that could fall on ANY DAY OF THE WEEK that where linked to the ANNUAL JEWISH FESTIVALS THAT WHERE NOT PART OF GOD’S 4[SUP]TH[/SUP] COMMANDMENT.

Matthew 28:1 This is not a singular weekly sabbath event this week and is correctly translated as plural because there was two Sabbaths. It was the Passover week the week of the crucifixion where the Holy Convocation of Feast of Unleavened Bread was held, where NO Work was to be done. This fell on the normal weekly Sabbath and when this happens it is called a HIGH Sabbath day (John 19:31). So no Matthew 28:1 is not referring to a single Sabbath.

This is not a plural application of sabbaton as shown above as you have left out the rest of the scripture verse…. Luke 4:16, And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath DAY, and stood up for to read. <singular application in scripture context> So NO this is not a plural application of sabbaton.

Same as above the context is about the day singular application and not a plural application.

Now this is just a strange application as why do you need to apply a GREEK interpretation of the HEBREW language when you have the HEBREW that gives a different meaning? No need to comment here just go leek at the Hebrew Word meaning.

So nothing you have said has made your case……

If I understand correctly you say sabbaton not always a plural for sabbath, am I correct?

Jun 5, 2017
If I understand correctly you say sabbaton not always a plural for sabbath, am I correct?

LoveGodForever said: Let’s start by looking at the GREEK Word for sabbath means G4521 σάββατον sabbaton (saɓ'-ɓa-ton) n.1. the Sabbath (i.e. Shabbath).2. a day of weekly repose from secular avocations.3. the observance or institution itself.
4. (by extension) a week, i.e. the interval between two Sabbaths. Likewise the plural in all the above applications.[of Hebrew origin (H7676)]

Hi brother Jackson,

The word Sabbaton has 4 x main meaning as shown above. The CONTEXT that it is written within the scripture verse determines if it has plural meaning or not plural.

If you link everything together with the CONTEXT of the Chapter of Col 2 and CONTEXT within the scriptures of v16-17 it very clearly shows that Paul is talking about the Mosaic laws for remission of sins and the annual Jewish Festival sabbaths (these are different to God's 4th commandment) as shown in post # 113 above.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Hi brother Jackson,

The word Sabbaton has 4 x main meaning as shown above. The CONTEXT that it is written within the scripture verse determines if it has plural meaning or not plural.

If you link everything together with the CONTEXT of the Chapter of Col 2 and CONTEXT within the scriptures of v16-17 it very clearly shows that Paul is talking about the Mosaic laws for remission of sins and the annual Jewish Festival sabbaths (these are different to God's 4th commandment) as shown in post # 113 above.
so sabbaton is not always plural, am I correct.

what is the different between sabbath and sabbaton?

Jun 5, 2017
so sabbaton is not always plural, am I correct.
what is the different between sabbath and sabbaton?
Hello brother Jackson,

Your question should be what is the difference between the sabbath of the annual festival of the ceremonial laws of Moses and the Sabbath of God's 4th commandment.............

1. The ceremonial Sabbath of the law of Moses is a special Sabbath and also uses a different Hebrew Word called meaning H7677 שׁבּתון shabbâthôn shab-baw-thone' From H7676; a sabbatism or special holiday: - rest, sabbath. This sabbath can fall on any day of the seek and is only used in the annual Jewish festivals of Feasts of Trumpets (Lev 23:24) or Day of Atonement (Lev 23:32 or Feast of Booths (Lev 23:39). These feasts are N OT fulfilled and Shadows of things to come Col 2 v17 (e.g. 2nd coming, close of probation and judgement and God's people saved from their temporary dwelling on earth to the earth made new) NOTE: Col v17, Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. It is NOT fulfilled and has NOT finished and IS to COME. These are temporary Shadow Sabbaths showing the plan of salvation.

2. God's 4th commandment Sabbath which is one of the 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11). The Hebrew word use here for Sabbath has a DIFFERENT Hebrew word used compared to the ceremonial Sabbath of H7677. The Hebrew Word used here is H7676 and
means H7676שַׁבָּתshabbath (shab-bawth') n-e.1. intermission, a period of temporary rest.2. (specifically) the Sabbath, the seventh day being the day of rest. [intensive from H7673]KJV: (+ every) sabbath. Root(s): H7673. The root word comes from H7673 which comes from the creation week of Genesis 2:1-3 and means shabath (shaw-ɓath') v.to repose, i.e. to cease from exertion.KJV: (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, keep (sabbath), suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away. This is God's Sabbath it is a memorial of creation and part of a FINISHED WORK BEFORE SIN entered the WORLD. If it is part of a FINISHED work BEFORE SIN then it cannot be a part of the plan of salvation because it was BEFORE the fall of mankind. Just like all the other 10 commandments God's Word says they are FOREVER and the very standard of SIN and RIGHTEOUSNESS and the JUDGEMENT to come.

The Law of God (10 commandments) which includes the 4th commandment is the work of God (Exodus 32:16) whatsoever God does is FOREVER nothing can be added to it or taken away (Ecclesiastes 3:14). God's Law is perfect converting the soul (Psalms 19:7). It is the very standard of the Old and New Covenants (Exodus 20:1:17, Hebrews 8:10-12). God's Law was spoken by Go d himself to His people (Exodus 20:1-22). J esus says Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away (Matthew 25:35). Gods Law is still in force today (Psalms 111:7-8, Revel ation 12:17, 14:12, 22:14, 1 John 3:5-8, 1 John 2:3-4 etc.). The Law of God reveals sin to us so we can see ourselves as we truly are sinners in need of a Savior (Romans 3:20; 1 John 3:4). It is the great standard of the judgement ( Ecclesiastes 12:13-14, James 2:10-12, 1 John 3:4, Acts 17:31). God's Law is our teacher revealing sin and the character of God and brings us to Christ at the fo ot of the cross that we might be saved by faith by Him who loves us and washed us in His own blood (Galatians 3:24; Revelation 1:5). God's people keep all the commandments of God including the Sabbath even in the NEW EARTH (Rev 12:17; 14:12; 22:14; Isaiah 66:23)

That is the difference between the ceremonial special Sabbaths that are shadows of things to come and God's 4th commandment which God's Word says is God's Sabbath is FOREVER and the ceremonial Sabbaths are temporary SHADOWS to come and not yet fulfilled.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Hello brother Jackson,

Your question should be what is the difference between the sabbath of the annual festival of the ceremonial laws of Moses and the Sabbath of God's 4th commandment.............

1. The ceremonial Sabbath of the law of Moses is a special Sabbath and also uses a different Hebrew Word called meaning H7677 שׁבּתון shabbâthôn shab-baw-thone' From H7676; a sabbatism or special holiday: - rest, sabbath. This sabbath can fall on any day of the seek and is only used in the annual Jewish festivals of Feasts of Trumpets (Lev 23:24) or Day of Atonement (Lev 23:32 or Feast of Booths (Lev 23:39). These feasts are N OT fulfilled and Shadows of things to come Col 2 v17 (e.g. 2nd coming, close of probation and judgement and God's people saved from their temporary dwelling on earth to the earth made new) NOTE: Col v17, Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. It is NOT fulfilled and has NOT finished and IS to COME. These are temporary Shadow Sabbaths showing the plan of salvation.

2. God's 4th commandment Sabbath which is one of the 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11). The Hebrew word use here for Sabbath has a DIFFERENT Hebrew word used compared to the ceremonial Sabbath of H7677. The Hebrew Word used here is H7676 and
means H7676שַׁבָּתshabbath (shab-bawth') n-e.1. intermission, a period of temporary rest.2. (specifically) the Sabbath, the seventh day being the day of rest. [intensive from H7673]KJV: (+ every) sabbath. Root(s): H7673. The root word comes from H7673 which comes from the creation week of Genesis 2:1-3 and means shabath (shaw-ɓath') v.to repose, i.e. to cease from exertion.KJV: (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, keep (sabbath), suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away. This is God's Sabbath it is a memorial of creation and part of a FINISHED WORK BEFORE SIN entered the WORLD. If it is part of a FINISHED work BEFORE SIN then it cannot be a part of the plan of salvation because it was BEFORE the fall of mankind. Just like all the other 10 commandments God's Word says they are FOREVER and the very standard of SIN and RIGHTEOUSNESS and the JUDGEMENT to come.

The Law of God (10 commandments) which includes the 4th commandment is the work of God (Exodus 32:16) whatsoever God does is FOREVER nothing can be added to it or taken away (Ecclesiastes 3:14). God's Law is perfect converting the soul (Psalms 19:7). It is the very standard of the Old and New Covenants (Exodus 20:1:17, Hebrews 8:10-12). God's Law was spoken by Go d himself to His people (Exodus 20:1-22). J esus says Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away (Matthew 25:35). Gods Law is still in force today (Psalms 111:7-8, Revel ation 12:17, 14:12, 22:14, 1 John 3:5-8, 1 John 2:3-4 etc.). The Law of God reveals sin to us so we can see ourselves as we truly are sinners in need of a Savior (Romans 3:20; 1 John 3:4). It is the great standard of the judgement ( Ecclesiastes 12:13-14, James 2:10-12, 1 John 3:4, Acts 17:31). God's Law is our teacher revealing sin and the character of God and brings us to Christ at the fo ot of the cross that we might be saved by faith by Him who loves us and washed us in His own blood (Galatians 3:24; Revelation 1:5). God's people keep all the commandments of God including the Sabbath even in the NEW EARTH (Rev 12:17; 14:12; 22:14; Isaiah 66:23)

That is the difference between the ceremonial special Sabbaths that are shadows of things to come and God's 4th commandment which God's Word says is God's Sabbath is FOREVER and the ceremonial Sabbaths are temporary SHADOWS to come and not yet fulfilled.

so sabbath without s can mean weekly sabbath or yearly sabbath am I correct?

Jun 5, 2017
To my knowledge only 2 type of sabbath

1. Weekly sabbath

lev 23

3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings.

2. Yearly sabbath

in Leviticus both of them in the same spelling. It is sabbath singular

than why colosians 2 say sabbath days ( plural day)more than one type of sabbath?

because both ( yearly sabbath and weekly sabbath) are shadow of Christ
Hi Brother Jackson,

Some of this reply to your question is from another post and some is different but all together should help answer your question. The short version is that God's Sabbath only falls on every 7th day of the week (Exodus 20:8-11) the annual festival special Sabbaths that use the same English word SABBATH are different in meaning and are called special SABBATHS and can fall on ANY day of the week. There is more than one of them as they are connected to different festivals hence plural. Sabbaths or Sabbath days. (Col 2:16)

There are different HEBREW Words used for the same English word given for Sabbath lets have a look at them. Let's have a look at the different Hebrew words that are used for English word for SABBATH starting with the ROOT word REST from Genesis then the Hebrew Word for Sabbath found in the 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11) then look at the Hebrew word for annual ceremonial Sabbaths of Leviticus. All these have different Hebrew words and have different meanings but use the same English word for Sabbath.................

If you look up the Hebrew word for SABBATH you will find that the base word for SABBATH is REST (H7676) you will see that it comes from the ROOT or base word of REST which is H7673 in the Strong's Hebrew dictionary which has its origin from the creation week in Genesis 2:1-3.......................

Genesis 2:1-3; RESTED which is in reference to the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] day of the creation week meaning H7673 שָׁבַת; shabath (shaw-ɓath') v. to repose, i.e. to cease from exertion. KJV: (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, keep sabbath, suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away.

The commandment uses a different Hebrew word from H7673 which is H7676 and means from one Sabbath to the next Sabbath is to be RESTED cease from work on the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] day of the Week…..

Exodus 20:8-11; SABBATH meaning H7676 שַׁבָּתshabbath (shab-bawth') n-e.1. intermission, a period of temporary rest.2. (specifically) the Sabbath, the seventh day being the day of rest. [intensive from H7673]KJV: (+ every) sabbath. Root(s): H7673

Now please pay attention to the Hebrew word used for the annual ceremonial festival SABBATH'S which uses a DIFFERENT Hebrew Word from God's 4th commandment above. This is not H7676 the ceremonial SABBATH Hebrew Word is H7677 and has a different meaning because it is NOT the same as God's 4th commandment......

So the base meaning of Sabbath from God's 4th commandment in the Hebrew is to rest from work (Gen) the commandment is every 7[SUP]th[/SUP] day rest from work and THEN WE HAVE THE SPECIAL FESTIVAL SABBATH(S) <more than one different Hebrew meaning H7677> OF THE MOSAIC ANNUAL FEASTIVAL LAWS, THAT WERE NOT THE 7[SUP]TH[/SUP] DAY SABBATH OF THE 4[SUP]th[/SUP] COMMANDMENT AND COULD FALL ON ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. (John 19:31 see also High Sabbaths Wiki)

The purpose and difference between the Sabbath of God's 4th commandment and the Monthly or Annual Special Festival Sabbaths

1. The ceremonial Sabbaths of the law of Moses is a special Sabbath and also uses a different Hebrew Word called meaning H7677 שׁבּתון shabbâthôn shab-baw-thone' From H7676; a sabbatism or special holiday: - rest, sabbath. This sabbath can fall on any day of the seek and is only used in the annual Jewish festivals of Feasts of Trumpets (Lev 23:24) or Day of Atonement (Lev 23:32 or Feast of Booths (Lev 23:39). These feasts are N OT fulfilled and Shadows of things to come Col 2 v17 (e.g. 2nd coming, close of probation and judgement and God's people saved from their temporary dwelling on earth to the earth made new) NOTE: Col v17, Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. It is NOT fulfilled and has NOT finished and IS to COME. These are temporary Shadow Sabbaths showing the plan of salvation.

They are plural because they are more then one special Sabbath H7677 linked to different FESTIVALS that is why the plural word of SABBATH DAYS is used in Col 2:16

Last edited:

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
Hi Brother Jackson,

Some of this reply to your question is from another post and some is different but all together should help answer your question. The short version is that God's Sabbath only falls on every 7th day of the week (Exodus 20:8-11) the annual festival special Sabbaths that use the same English word SABBATH are different in meaning and are called special SABBATHS and can fall on ANY day of the week. There is more than one of them as they are connected to different festivals hence plural. Sabbaths or Sabbath days. (Col 2:16)

There are different HEBREW Words used for the same English word given for Sabbath lets have a look at them. Let's have a look at the different Hebrew words that are used for English word for SABBATH starting with the ROOT word REST from Genesis then the Hebrew Word for Sabbath found in the 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11) then look at the Hebrew word for annual ceremonial Sabbaths of Leviticus. All these have different Hebrew words and have different meanings but use the same English word for Sabbath.................

If you look up the Hebrew word for SABBATH you will find that the base word for SABBATH is REST (H7676) you will see that it comes from the ROOT or base word of REST which is H7673 in the Strong's Hebrew dictionary which has its origin from the creation week in Genesis 2:1-3.......................

Genesis 2:1-3; RESTED which is in reference to the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] day of the creation week meaning H7673 שָׁבַת; shabath (shaw-ɓath') v. to repose, i.e. to cease from exertion. KJV: (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, keep sabbath, suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away.

The commandment uses a different Hebrew word from H7673 which is H7676 and means from one Sabbath to the next Sabbath is to be RESTED cease from work on the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] day of the Week…..

Exodus 20:8-11; SABBATH meaning H7676 שַׁבָּתshabbath (shab-bawth') n-e.1. intermission, a period of temporary rest.2. (specifically) the Sabbath, the seventh day being the day of rest. [intensive from H7673]KJV: (+ every) sabbath. Root(s): H7673

Now please pay attention to the Hebrew word used for the annual ceremonial festival SABBATH'S which uses a DIFFERENT Hebrew Word from God's 4th commandment above. This is not H7676 the ceremonial SABBATH Hebrew Word is H7677 and has a different meaning because it is NOT the same as God's 4th commandment......

So the base meaning of Sabbath from God's 4th commandment in the Hebrew is to rest from work (Gen) the commandment is every 7[SUP]th[/SUP] day rest from work and THEN WE HAVE THE SPECIAL FESTIVAL SABBATH(S) <more than one different Hebrew meaning H7677> OF THE MOSAIC ANNUAL FEASTIVAL LAWS, THAT WERE NOT THE 7[SUP]TH[/SUP] DAY SABBATH OF THE 4[SUP]th[/SUP] COMMANDMENT AND COULD FALL ON ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. (John 19:31 see also High Sabbaths Wiki)

The purpose and difference between the Sabbath of God's 4th commandment and the Monthly or Annual Special Festival Sabbaths

1. The ceremonial Sabbaths of the law of Moses is a special Sabbath and also uses a different Hebrew Word called meaning H7677 שׁבּתון shabbâthôn shab-baw-thone' From H7676; a sabbatism or special holiday: - rest, sabbath. This sabbath can fall on any day of the seek and is only used in the annual Jewish festivals of Feasts of Trumpets (Lev 23:24) or Day of Atonement (Lev 23:32 or Feast of Booths (Lev 23:39). These feasts are N OT fulfilled and Shadows of things to come Col 2 v17 (e.g. 2nd coming, close of probation and judgement and God's people saved from their temporary dwelling on earth to the earth made new) NOTE: Col v17, Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. It is NOT fulfilled and has NOT finished and IS to COME. These are temporary Shadow Sabbaths showing the plan of salvation.

They are plural because they are more then one special Sabbath H7677 linked to different FESTIVALS that is why the plural word of SABBATH DAYS is used in Col 2:16
H7677 שׁבּתון actually refers to Sabbath observance; while H7676שַׁבָּתshabbath refers to the day itself. There is no real distinction made in these words between 7th day Sabbaths and Levitical Sabbaths.

Not that it really matters because whether or not a distinction is made; the fact remains that the NT clearly teaches that observance is NOT mandatory for believers.