Pentecostal and Charismatic

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

ContrarySynthesis

As a generally cessationist individual, I've been quite surprised by the great number of Pentecostals and Charismatics ("P/C" from here-on-out) on this forum. It isn't that I'm angry about it, just that I find it interesting that so many people of the same theological outlook find their way to the same page. Maybe there are others who do not fall under those categories and leave, but anecdotally I still see an overwhelming body of people on these forums with those outlooks.

I'm really interested to know how everyone came to this specific faith--or, if you left it, why you did so. Were you in another church but decided that P/C was the correct view? Were you raised in the tradition? Did you join a P/C church first on your own volition? Or did others invite you?

I would really enjoy hearing any stories or Biblical arguments anyone might have which led them to the P/C faith. I don't mean to trivialize your faith as data, but P/C churches are likely the most-quickly growing religious group in the world, and I'm very interested to hear how that has played out in the personal lives of our brothers and sisters in Christ. Plus, a nice conversation between Christ's children seems like an appropriate way to further bring us together.

But maybe I should explain first what I'm thinking of when I say P/C. While it is obviously not the ONLY statement of their faith or even necessarily the most important, I have perceived many individuals discussing demons/possession, the devil, specific and concrete inspiration by the Holy Spirit, and some sort of dramatic and spiritual conversion experience. I understand this is not a definitive picture of the P/C churches, but I feel that they serve as reasonable indicators for them. I hope I haven't implied anything cross or offended anyone; I just thought I should explain my thinking.

Thanks.

W

wwjd_kilden

I am not Pentecostals, but just to add my two cents:
I am under the impression that the Pentecostal views often displayed on this forum are more *looks for a good word * intense (?) than what I have experienced in churches here.

M

mule

Though I am catholic there is a movement within the church that is charismatic.
I was a teen in the 70s when I was baptized for the first time ( confirmed at the same time) I was completely immersed in the church. Though I had no overwhelming experience, no down pouring of the Holy Spirt in my life.
Then at the age of 17 I did start to have dreams ( about the return of Jesus) and then at 23 I had two visions ( both about the return of Jesus) I don't speak in tongues but I do pray in tongues. I can not do it on demand nor have I ever done it publicly. ( It happens only when I am alone and in prayer. )
I absolutely believe in the power of God and His Holy Spirit. I believe in the gifts of the Sprit. I do not believe it is a free ticket from troubles and woes, from illness or even poverty. Having the Comforter is just that I find comfort from God through His Spirit in those times of affliction and I give praise to God. I praise Him and thank Him for all things
in both good times and bad.
And most important I trust Him!!!

K

kenisyes

I am not Pentecostal or Catholic Charismatic. I am a follower of Jesus Christ. But I have been through both groups of people. When I was young, I found out I had "gifts" not recognized by the church I was raised in. These groups claimed they would recognize them. To some extent they do. Following Jesus and assembling with others is better.

I still find such people now. It is such a shame to see them lost to new age, or even witchcraft, because they do not know there is another option.

God has sent me to a bible study now, run by a new pastor (formerly retired accountant) who hopes to establish a local congregation for a cessationist denomination. Keep in touch, if you like. When I found out why God sent me, I'll let you know. I know for a fact, their theology contradicts my entire life experience. The people I pray with assume I am there to alert that pastor to the fact that God is bigger than his denomination says He is.

We are here because we are allowed to assemble with other believers, and express many of the gifts of speech, understanding, etc. that we have, but find limited outlet for in traditional churches. Have you researched other Christian chat sites? Do you find the same percentage of P/C there?

R

rauleetoe

I was saved in a popular revival pentecostal church..i do not believe pentecostals or charismatics have the most biblically correct way..they seem to seek after the gifts of the spirit rather than having fruit..i tried several other churches..foursquare..non denom..baptist...etc..i found my home in the wesleyan chircj,and wish i would have found it years ago...i do believe sincere believers are in these other denoms,yet if one reads 1 corinthians 14,you find that God is a God of order..few pente/charismatics know about order..its a wild ruckus in chyrch..hows that going to look to non believers? just saying

M

mule

RAULEETOE,
1 corinthians 14: 19-25 Speak directly to your concerns.

Note in verse 23 --- it talks about the unbeliever and the unlearned who would see it and say you are mad.

C

ContrarySynthesis

As for kenisyes questions, I have not actually found other Christian chat or forum sites which have a large member-base. Well, some forums have no members, but every time I join another chat, there are only a small handful of individuals (if any at all) in the chatroom.

But I'm still interested in hearing from others.

C

carey

What is wrong with being a pentacostal??
I am
I believe tongues and prophecy is still here, so long as it's spoken in accordance with Gods word
I have seen first hand demonic possession, and deliverance from it
the sick have been healed through the laying of hands
I have been a part of spontaneous worship,
And danced in the spirit
Church is not ment to be a funeral procession but a celebration, after all Jesus is not dead
I would rather attend a church where the pastor is obviously being moved by the spirit and my attention is captured than a pastor that just puts me to sleep

My opinion, like it or not
;)

R

rauleetoe

What is wrong with being a pentacostal??
I am
I believe tongues and prophecy is still here, so long as it's spoken in accordance with Gods word
I have seen first hand demonic possession, and deliverance from it
the sick have been healed through the laying of hands
I have been a part of spontaneous worship,
And danced in the spirit
Church is not ment to be a funeral procession but a celebration, after all Jesus is not dead
I would rather attend a church where the pastor is obviously being moved by the spirit and my attention is captured than a pastor that just puts me to sleep

My opinion, like it or not
;)
who in the world said you have to have a congregation full of mad people all babbling..or seemingly mad..for it to not be a dead church?! see this is where charismatics n.pentecostals miss it big,you claim one must have evidence of tongues in order to.have the holy spirit..simply not true,tongues..when its real..is for self edifying..Paul even who prayed in tongues said that not all pray in tongues..see,you seek after signs and wonders..whatvyou consider a 'live' church..tongues cannot save you..nor is it a confirmation that someone has real faith show me your fruitnot your gifts..i left a chirch like thos becaise more emphasis was given to the gifts,than to the one who gives these gofts..i need no prophetic word....i have the word,his word..the Bible...make sure you are following adter God and not some prophetic word a man gives you....

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
As a generally cessationist individual, I've been quite surprised by the great number of Pentecostals and Charismatics ("P/C" from here-on-out) on this forum. It isn't that I'm angry about it, just that I find it interesting that so many people of the same theological outlook find their way to the same page. Maybe there are others who do not fall under those categories and leave, but anecdotally I still see an overwhelming body of people on these forums with those outlooks.

I'm really interested to know how everyone came to this specific faith--or, if you left it, why you did so. Were you in another church but decided that P/C was the correct view? Were you raised in the tradition? Did you join a P/C church first on your own volition? Or did others invite you?

I would really enjoy hearing any stories or Biblical arguments anyone might have which led them to the P/C faith. I don't mean to trivialize your faith as data, but P/C churches are likely the most-quickly growing religious group in the world, and I'm very interested to hear how that has played out in the personal lives of our brothers and sisters in Christ. Plus, a nice conversation between Christ's children seems like an appropriate way to further bring us together.

But maybe I should explain first what I'm thinking of when I say P/C. While it is obviously not the ONLY statement of their faith or even necessarily the most important, I have perceived many individuals discussing demons/possession, the devil, specific and concrete inspiration by the Holy Spirit, and some sort of dramatic and spiritual conversion experience. I understand this is not a definitive picture of the P/C churches, but I feel that they serve as reasonable indicators for them. I hope I haven't implied anything cross or offended anyone; I just thought I should explain my thinking.

Thanks.
There is a saying that is quite true, water seeks its own level. Peace filled waters cannot abide with those waters that are tossed to and fro...............

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I am not Pentecostals, but just to add my two cents:
I am under the impression that the Pentecostal views often displayed on this forum are more *looks for a good word * intense (?) than what I have experienced in churches here.

Your posts always hit me where and how it counts, but I confess, I am not at all close to understanding this one. I am sure it makes good sense though, because of the source. Yahweh, God, bless you and keep you, amen..........

W

wwjd_kilden

JaumeJ: Well, I guess what I said would go for any denomination in here. Let me try to explain a bit better :)

People tend to show more intense views on the internet than what is displayed in church. For instance claims in either directions of a) "There are no longer any gifts" or b) "people who don't speak in tongues are not saved".

Internet seems to make people more intent on stating their views as absolute, but maybe that is because we only have text to relay what we think.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
JaumeJ: Well, I guess what I said would go for any denomination in here. Let me try to explain a bit better :)

People tend to show more intense views on the internet than what is displayed in church. For instance claims in either directions of a) "There are no longer any gifts" or b) "people who don't speak in tongues are not saved".

Internet seems to make people more intent on stating their views as absolute, but maybe that is because we only have text to relay what we think.
I did not have a clue, thank you, that is beautiful. Yahweh, God, bless you and hold you always, amen.

C

carey

who in the world said you have to have a congregation full of mad people all babbling..or seemingly mad..for it to not be a dead church?! see this is where charismatics n.pentecostals miss it big,you claim one must have evidence of tongues in order to.have the holy spirit..simply not true,tongues..when its real..is for self edifying..Paul even who prayed in tongues said that not all pray in tongues..see,you seek after signs and wonders..whatvyou consider a 'live' church..tongues cannot save you..nor is it a confirmation that someone has real faith show me your fruitnot your gifts..i left a chirch like thos becaise more emphasis was given to the gifts,than to the one who gives these gofts..i need no prophetic word....i have the word,his word..the Bible...make sure you are following adter God and not some prophetic word a man gives you....
Im sorry did i say you HAD to speak in tongues??
No i didn't, and it's only babbling to the unsaved
Bible says that not me
I spoke of my experience
How dare you say i look for signs and wonders, do you know me???
Can you see more clearly into my heart than God??
I would be perfectly fine not seeing a single miracle in my lifetime, but the truth is God has chosen to reveal Himself in such a way that there is no denying Him and all He has to give us, His gifts are beautiful and i do not take them for granted. You are obviously pissed at pentacostals and your anger leads me to believe you have run into those that do not practice what they preach, im sorry for that, but you really should not group all pentacostals in that same light
Blessings and peace

J

jimmydiggs

No i didn't, and it's only babbling to the unsaved
I wondered when something like "if you don't speak in tongues, you aren't saved" was going to come out. Unfortunately, this is common amongst Pentecostals and Charistmatics. At best, you're a "lesser Christian" if you don't speak in tongues as Pentecostals believe it.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Not all speak in tongues, not all interpret tongues, so it is not babble simply to unbelievers this is why Paul teaches that no one speak in tongues unless there is someone to interpret, otherwise it is babble to all others present.

There really is no reason to dispute the gifts, because they all will go with the fire. The only eternal gifts, you all know, are faith, hope and love. You all also know the most important is love for without love no gift is of any avail; it is simply a manifestation.

There is no need to dispute the gifts, none, as long as we worship in love, spirit and truth, amen.

W

wwjd_kilden

I wondered when something like "if you don't speak in tongues, you aren't saved" was going to come out. Unfortunately, this is common amongst Pentecostals and Charistmatics. At best, you're a "lesser Christian" if you don't speak in tongues as Pentecostals believe it.

I think what was said that one does not have to do so :)

C

carey

I think what was said that one does not have to do so :)
Not sure why this was put down as my post but i never said this jimmy did
And i am a firm beleiver that you do not have to be saved to speak in tongues, it's one of the nine gifts, just like not all are called to be pastors or teachers also not all speak in tongues

W

wwjd_kilden

hmm, I think it was because there was half a tag from your post in there (oh the joys of technology quirks :p :) )

C

carey

I never said that if you don't speak in tongues you aren't saved, when i say the unsaved see it as babbling, this reasoning comes from 1 Corinthians 14:22-23
How about you read my entire post first