Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Daylilies

Apr 11, 2017
Why does every small town have all kinds of cool shops, restaurants, a dry cleaner, and anything else that the characters could possibly need? No one ever has to drive 20 miles to get laundry detergent! :)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
And how do they always know what expert to ask for advice?

"Hmm, this looks like a rare caterpillar sting from middle African jungle... Dr. Boyden in Chicago could help us with this. I'll give him a call."

How do movie characters always have the exact expert they need in their address book? They never have to look up a subject, find experts on the subject or even google a phone number.

T

toinena

In a movie, the well trained and compassionate dog indoors would feel the owner's distress of locking herself out, jump at the door, open the lock and rescue the situation. That didn't happen. And it is freezing cold outside.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
Car explosions: going over a cliff and exploding before impact, and exploding at all, for that matter.

All the people in the show, whether lead characters or bit players are slim and attractive.

The handsome lead gets the beautiful girl - even in cartoons. No one ever falls in love with the homely overweight character. In fact the homely overweight character simply doesn't exist in TV or movies.

The lead characters fall in love and go to bed on the first date - and it never leads to pregnancy or STDs.

People alone at home never have guns with which to protect themselves. They grab an umbrella instead.

People are knocked out by a tap to the chin or head.

People die instantly when shot. It simply doesn't work that way.

Last edited:

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Car explosions: going over a cliff and exploding before impact, and exploding at all, for that matter.
I had commented about this to my wife the other day how it seems that whenever a car rolls over in a TV show the car ALWAYS bursts into flame and then explodes within seconds. I drove tow trucks for seven years and in that time dealt with hundreds of car crashes including vehicles rolling over or going over cliffs and never once did one of those vehicles catch fire. Every burned vehicle that I picked up was either intentionally set or the result of mechanical/electrical issues.

The lead characters fall in love and go to bed on the first date - and it never leads to pregnancy or STDs.

Apparently you never saw the movie Knocked Up.

Knocked Up (2007) - IMDb

J

joefizz

Shooting a lock open with a gun. Unless the lock is just that pathetic.
Yeah like james bond,myth busters showed that it isn't that easy lol!

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
My pet peeves with movies (and TV with "mature" content) is the constant use of the GD word. I actually try to avoid movies that I think may use this phrase.

I also have a hard time with most movies and TV in general due to their pervasive tone of liberalism, hedonism, atheism, humanism and adolescent humor and dialogue and recycled plots. With the newspapers and most internet sites like Google and Yahoo, MSN, etc. and the movies and TV and Madison Ave, we are pounded with liberals POV. 24/7. Non-stop. Relentless.

When I go to a movie I don't want to be preached about a paradigm that I know is anti-God, anti-ethics just because those perverted and demented minds in Hollywood live and think like that.

That's why I tend to like older movies more. The messages in them were not heavy handed, or even subtle, like so many of today's even tamer message movies are, with their liberal political, anti- religious and atheist messages. If anything they trended more to God values - see Maybury, I love that TV show.
But the people who produced, directed and played in the movies were determined to push their way of thinking and living on the American public in the guise of artistic freedom. To be fair, I don't doubt that probably a portion of them were stifled by the censors in a way which may have changed the core message of their art, or which compromised some scenes. I will give them that. Still that does not change the fact that they consciously wanted to do away with any and all restrictions with their public proclamation that artists need freedom. Yet privately their sinister little plan was to erode Americans values so we would all think and act like them. They pushed this in earnest starting in the late 40's, and throughout the 50's, and in the early 60's even put on paper a manifest that stated their goals to accomplish were the erosion and erasure of all or most Christian values and the implementation of sex, cursing, liberal values and subject matters as they saw fit in their films.

This all fundamentally culminated with the movie's The Pawnbroker (1964), Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf? and the movie Blow Up - both from 1966, Those two movies essentially broke the back of the censors, especially the motions pictures Production Code and by the Catholic church's the National Legion of Decency organization. It's been a free for all ever since.

Last edited:

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I also have a hard time with most movies and TV in general due to their pervasive tone of liberalism, hedonism, atheism, humanism and adolescent humor and dialogue and recycled plots. With the newspapers and most internet sites like Google and Yahoo, MSN, etc. and the movies and TV and Madison Ave, we are pounded with liberals POV. 24/7. Non-stop. Relentless.
Speaking of humanism... have you seen Avatar yet? :cool:

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
I hate sitcom laugh tracks. They run the laugh track about every 5 seconds. Viewers are not really involved in the story. They are just addicted to the laugh track. Without the laugh track virtually all sitcoms would be as boring as dirt.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
I hate sitcom laugh tracks. They run the laugh track about every 5 seconds. Viewers are not really involved in the story. They are just addicted to the laugh track. Without the laugh track virtually all sitcoms would be as boring as dirt.
Please someone do this experiment and report on the findings. I'd be curious as to exactly what the laugh track adds (and can we compare laugh track vs studio audience laughing) to someone's experience of the show. Although watching a sitcom without the laugh track might be like watching a movie without its soundtrack.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
It is odd how certain incongruities are acceptable and others are unacceptable.

I am playing a video game called Shadow Tactics, where you sneak around and kill/knockout enemies without others seeing you and raising the alarm. I had no difficulty believing one shinobi and one little street urchin could take on a whole field of enemies by hiding, sneaking, striking from cover and hiding the bodies.

But when the whole team is captured and the samurai of the team surrenders the location of the Shogun's son in exchange for the rest of the team's lives, I could not continue with the game. A samurai betraying his master? Totally immersion-breaking.

I stopped playing and I'm catching the rest of the plot on a let's-play on youtube just to wrap it up.

Prov910

Jan 10, 2017
Car chase scenes. First car gets a ten second head start and is several blocks ahead. The second car IMMEDIATELY catches up to him and is right on his tail. But then the second car can't quite get any closer than 50 feet or so for the rest of the chase. (Description of every chase scene in 1970s-80s movies.)

Jan 27, 2015
People in movies hardly ever cough or sneeze, and when they do, it's never benign. They always have some fatal or near-fatal disease.

They never get the hiccups either. :p

And if the "check engine" light comes on, they have two minutes before the car breaks down and they're stranded on the side of the road. My mom's check engine light came on in July and my dad didn't fix the problem until October and the car never broke down. :p

J

joefizz

Please someone do this experiment and report on the findings. I'd be curious as to exactly what the laugh track adds (and can we compare laugh track vs studio audience laughing) to someone's experience of the show. Although watching a sitcom without the laugh track might be like watching a movie without its soundtrack.
Allow me to test that right now!!!...Another gator gimme that shovel,hahaha hahaha,who drank my apple juice!?hahaha hahaha hahahaDynomite,hahaha hahaha,....
What are everyone's reactions???

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
I dislike when I watch a show or movie set in an older time period and they use modern songs during it. This feels weird and out of place. What I love about Stranger Things is that they use actual 80's style music and it makes you feel like you're in 1984 watching it.

Clintagious1

Nov 22, 2017
Two blue eyed people can have a brown eyed baby its possible if they had someone in there ansestry with brown eyes and passed on that gene

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
One of my peeves, one of a myriad, is when you have good police program, series, and you begin to follow it, and like it.

All of a sudden your characters are having enormous personal prolems whil fighting crime, my daught is pregenant, my wife is upset beccause of my hours, I am having an affair with my partner at the squad, my little brother was murdered when I was a child..............and of course, the divorces of the characters, and the ever revolving door of at work love affairs as though there are no other peole in whichever major city it is situated, like NYC......

They did it in Las Vegas CSI and NY CSI. Cactles's mother is always running around with a half gallon stem glass filled with wine. His father turned out o be James Brolin playing a CIA operative, not to mention the kidnapping of Castle's daughter.....and it getx worse..........