Pet Peeves with other Christians, including myself

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 13, 2018
Rut Roh, I reckon that I am going to grrrrrr a few people, but it is just a harmless thread.

1. Arrogance and Superiority...ugh ugh ugh

2. Mocking, slander, character assassination, and gossip

3. Lacking MERCY, kindness, compassion, humility or empathy, not imagining what it would like to be on the receiving end of the same behavior and words that they themselves spew

4. Cynicism or conspiracy theories

5. Fault finding, thinking the worst of each other, being hard on one another and holding grudges, especially knowing we all have weaknesses and we all need Jesus and His Holy perfection.

6. Assumptions...what if you are wrong?

7. The them and they talk, like they do this or they do that. We are not, and I'm reminding myself, the authority on the hearts of others.

8. Not laughing, lol. It bugs me when I take myself too seriously, and think too much. I get on my nerves, lol. We all need to laugh, smile, and enjoy these precious lives and others in HIM a bit more.

9. Cliques, [email protected] High School, lol. Opposes what we are called to.

10. A fragile ego, been guilty of that too. He has been helping me with it, but dang it, it is still so irritating, lol.

11. Not enough Him and too much us against them, when it is ALL about Him.

12. Threads like this that goes on and on and on... lol. I added this for those who already quit reading because of the bazillion word count, lol.

13. Hypocrisy...been guilty of this too, probably even in this thread, lolol.

You did it again Charli . good job... brought me aback...Lol.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
My biggest pet peeve, is that Christians sometimes think they have to have an interpretation for every scripture. Some scripture has been locked until the end times.

Dan. 12:4 "But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased."

Everyone rushes to make a determination about what scripture says and therefore draw faulty conclusions. I have learned it is better to refrain from interpreting each and every line of scripture. I feel some of our translations also have been tampered with by people with agendas. The word is spiritually discerned, so let the HS teach you. :cool:
The HS teaches all of us. Yet we all end up with different interpretations.

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
The HS teaches all of us. Yet we all end up with different interpretations.
True but some are not operating in the Holy Spirit but another spirit.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
@Magenta and I were chatting about Galatians 3 last night and agreed to share this with everyone.
Colossians 3:12-14 New International Version (NIV)

12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

That's how Christians are supposed to act!

:):love::)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

^^ That is one I designed earlier last year (March 27th) :)

H

Hamarr

I’m not sure if I could get away with linking this video with Pete Holmes talking about Christian jokes. It’s got a ton of profanity, but it does sum up some of the issues I have had with Christians.

One of those is being kind of sheltered or ignorant. He says “what are we saying about a faith for grown, intellectual, interesting people when the jokes we can laugh at are for babies?”

Gossip and people minding other people’s business is another one. It would be one thing to be called out by a friend, or someone who genuinely sees they can help, but I have also been preached at or seen others preached at by someone that just seemed to be on a high horse. Quick to point fingers when talking to the person about their situation do even a minute would have changed their perspective.

I guess the other thing is there is sometimes a fake politeness that is almost codependent that I pick up on. Like “let’s not say anything bad”. If we all smile and pretend things are peachy, everyone will be nice to each other. I got a lot of this growing up in a Mormon family, but saw a bit of it in Christian circles when I became a Christian.

Not that we should dwell on the negative, but admitting you are struggling or that someone treated you poorly and you want to address it seems a lot healthier. The positivity I get when I am struggling or can extend when someone else is seems to be far more helpful.

Odelschwanck

Jan 7, 2015
"Discussing something a public figure has openly stated about himself is gossip and not Christlike"
"God chose all our leaders throughout history so no matter how evil they are you must do whatever they say"

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Wow, does this hit a nerve.

My only pet peeve with Christians is when they tell the truth to you and it isn't "in love" that this happens, but it is to totally destroy the person they are talking to.

I had this done recently. After admonishing (putting me down) me for 10 minutes or so, and after I felt like a pile of dung he said "I am just telling you this in love". It sure didn't come across that way, and it wasn't said that way.

Thanks for letting me vent...it still hurts!
Usually, telling someone that you are doing it in 'love' is code for "I'm right and of course, you're wrong".

Sep 13, 2018
I’m not sure if I could get away with linking this video with Pete Holmes talking about Christian jokes. It’s got a ton of profanity, but it does sum up some of the issues I have had with Christians.

One of those is being kind of sheltered or ignorant. He says “what are we saying about a faith for grown, intellectual, interesting people when the jokes we can laugh at are for babies?”

Gossip and people minding other people’s business is another one. It would be one thing to be called out by a friend, or someone who genuinely sees they can help, but I have also been preached at or seen others preached at by someone that just seemed to be on a high horse. Quick to point fingers when talking to the person about their situation do even a minute would have changed their perspective.

I guess the other thing is there is sometimes a fake politeness that is almost codependent that I pick up on. Like “let’s not say anything bad”. If we all smile and pretend things are peachy, everyone will be nice to each other. I got a lot of this growing up in a Mormon family, but saw a bit of it in Christian circles when I became a Christian.

Not that we should dwell on the negative, but admitting you are struggling or that someone treated you poorly and you want to address it seems a lot healthier. The positivity I get when I am struggling or can extend when someone else is seems to be far more helpful.

Pete Holmes is funny . It is good to see a Christian "representing" us in the mainstream of society... Jim Gaffigen on the other hand is more specific. I think he's hilarious! . And Catholic... think that's pretty cool...

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
For me, pretty much anything, the thing about me is i don't hang around long enough to be invested much.

My mindset isn't so much to focus on trying to police/ correct others, rather what they are doing or about right now is perfect
and a test. Later i would forgive the people who did it and confess/repent for what i observed as though i had done it myself. Being annoyed comes from within self even if it appears to come from an external source, and it has to be resolved the same way. For me its about being emotionally free from things.

I think its normal and not a bad thing to have pet peeves, we just deal with them differently.

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
Rut Roh, I reckon that I am going to grrrrrr a few people, but it is just a harmless thread.

1. Arrogance and Superiority...ugh ugh ugh

2. Mocking, slander, character assassination, and gossip

3. Lacking MERCY, kindness, compassion, humility or empathy, not imagining what it would like to be on the receiving end of the same behavior and words that they themselves spew

4. Cynicism or conspiracy theories

5. Fault finding, thinking the worst of each other, being hard on one another and holding grudges, especially knowing we all have weaknesses and we all need Jesus and His Holy perfection.

6. Assumptions...what if you are wrong?

7. The them and they talk, like they do this or they do that. We are not, and I'm reminding myself, the authority on the hearts of others.

8. Not laughing, lol. It bugs me when I take myself too seriously, and think too much. I get on my nerves, lol. We all need to laugh, smile, and enjoy these precious lives and others in HIM a bit more.

9. Cliques, [email protected] High School, lol. Opposes what we are called to.

10. A fragile ego, been guilty of that too. He has been helping me with it, but dang it, it is still so irritating, lol.

11. Not enough Him and too much us against them, when it is ALL about Him.

12. Threads like this that goes on and on and on... lol. I added this for those who already quit reading because of the bazillion word count, lol.

13. Hypocrisy...been guilty of this too, probably even in this thread, lolol.
Good list, I haven’t read below your post but you pretty much hit the nail in the head.

My top two are gossiping and holier than thow attitude. We need to apply humility in everything we do.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
After reading some stuff, I interpreted as arrogant (I acknowledge my perception could be wrong), I came a looking for the pet peeve thread.

The Lord has spoken to me in great depths. I have an understanding others do not have…. Come listen to me as I am the authority on Him and His matters.

Ummmmm…

if this were true, which maybe it is, the lack of humility, combined with the abundance of assumption, displays a gap in discernment.

I know...what a harsh thing to say.

However...

Anyone tooting his or her own horn about awareness seems to have missed something in translation...

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
One of my biggest ones is Christians that claim that God did not punish Jesus on the cross, and if He would have done so it would make Him a monster. I really don't understand or like this one at all.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
pet peeves...how hypocritical people are..or maybe just critical.

Love keeps no record of wrongs...But Im gonna record the wrong anyway!

Bullies. Its like when you have a bully at work and you supposed to record all bullying incidents of which there are many and tell them to the boss. But the bully is counting on you to keep quiet cos he or she implies you will lose your job if you speak up about him or her. Then this bully proceeds to record everything they think YOU did wrong. .and because they are in a relative position of power, they have one over you.

I think this happens in some churches and seen it happen. Its quite devastating.

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019

Bullies. Its like when you have a bully at work and you supposed to record all bullying incidents of which there are many and tell them to the boss. But the bully is counting on you to keep quiet cos he or she implies you will lose your job if you speak up about him or her. Then this bully proceeds to record everything they think YOU did wrong. .and because they are in a relative position of power, they have one over you.

I think this happens in some churches and seen it happen. Its quite devastating.
2Th 3:14-15
If anyone does not obey what we say in this letter, take note of that person, and have nothing to do with him, that he may be ashamed. Do not regard him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014

Yeah, that is a bummer. However, the thought that comes to mind is...

if one is doing no wrong, then one can not have one over you, right? It's like if we are not disobeying the law, we have no reason to dislike cops.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
One of my biggest ones is Christians that claim that God did not punish Jesus on the cross, and if He would have done so it would make Him a monster. I really don't understand or like this one at all.
Yeah, I agree. In fact, it displayed His love more than anything.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Yeah, that is a bummer. However, the thought that comes to mind is...

if one is doing no wrong, then one can not have one over you. It's like if we are not disobeying the law, we have no reason to dislike cops.
the thing is christianity is not a legalistic thing. It is based on Gods grace. But churches often try to make it so because they impose their own arbitrary rules that they change all the time. It may be wrong in someones petty eyes, because they have a mote in them but not wrong in Gods eyes, because God doesnt have any such motes in His eyes. And He is the one who is able to act to pick them out.

God is a lot more forgiving than people are and doesnt hold grudges. God doesnt employ cops. He gives us teachers, pastors and evangelists, not cops.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
the thing is christianity is not a legalistic thing. It is based on Gods grace. But churches often try to make it so because they impose their own arbitrary rules that they change all the time. It may be wrong in someones petty eyes, because they have a mote in them but not wrong in Gods eyes, because God doesnt have any such motes in His eyes. And He is the one who is able to act to pick them out.

God is a lot more forgiving than people are and doesnt hold grudges. God doesnt employ cops. He gives us teachers, pastors and evangelists, not cops.
You are absolutely right. We are so hard on each other sometimes, and some other times, it becomes often. I only gave the analogy with cops simply because if we are acting with a desire to please God, peeps don't have the power to Lord over us. I do agree with everything you said about what we are called to do. I did not mean to go all legalistic on you Lanolin. I understand you not liking pettiness, hypocrisy or bully behavior.... ewwww@them. We def shouldn't hold things against one another or even ourselves. We should grow and learn and move forward with His mercy im mind.

Lord help us to live and love with You in mind.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think if you do find yourself in a legalistic church where some feel they have a right to lord it over you, best thing is to warn them and leave. You dont have to put up with someone who acts like a nazi.