Preppers

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
What do you think of preppers, crazy or sensible?

Are they all christians or just reading the Bible in a narrow way.

If God is telling them to build an ark (or similar) why arent they inviting everyone else on it?

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Seems each person has a plan for their lives, we are to find it and walk it out, perhaps the preppers supplies are for others after the prepper is taken out in the rapture, we know there will be "saints of the tribulation".

Nov 8, 2019
I think a certain level of preparedness is good. I have water for a couple of days, and a waterfilter, and dried food for a couple of months. (or closer to a year) I will be tired of all the lentils and rice after a while, but I will survive. The dogs have feed for several months, too.

As for water, we have had some scandals here lately that has given whole small societies e-coli, and people are asked to boil their water. In that kind of crisis it is good to have a stock of water atleast.

I have also firewood for a small fireplace, a small cooker and lights that are charged with solarpanels. And loads of candles. It happens often that some villages can be without electricity for up to 3 days, so it is just common sense to be prepping for that and even more serious tribulations.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
store some water to flush the toilet, our sewage system has diesel generator backup.
I have a lifestraw and a Big Berkey-like filter. Lots of TP, ha!

Nov 8, 2019
Lifestraw is good. I bought the huge community one. I was thinking it will be good to be able to share with my neighbours if something happens. I have heard that Berkley filters are good, too. For the toilet.... I hope we will have snow when it happens. It is just to shovel up some in a bucket.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
What do you think of preppers, crazy or sensible?

Are they all christians or just reading the Bible in a narrow way.

If God is telling them to build an ark (or similar) why arent they inviting everyone else on it?
Prepping to survive a natural disaster is a good thing..

Prepping to survive the end times is a total waste of time..

So prepping can be wise or vain.. It all depends on what your reasons for doing it is..

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
If we are truly walking with Him, and letting the indwelling Christ lead us, as is our required way of living, we will follow His direction with every thought, word, and deed, and not be doing a bunch of actions in hopes we are pleasing to Him.
best wishes

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Wont the end times be a natural disaster anyway?

Or is it just the end of your own life, not necessarily anyone elses lives. ??

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Also I wonder why its called 'prepping' not 'preparing' as if nobody can speak proper english. It could be confused with going to prep school and preppies. They may all be going to university or college and need to take exams. So need to cram in as much as they can I suppose.

It does sound to me as if some preppers seem to think they will flunk at life if they dont when God may give them grace anyway.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
doesn't sound like that to me.
It sounds like "preparing" to me.
I am aware there are "Preparatory schools" and programs,
it isn't confusing.

It does seem as always that we need to continue to grow in His grace and wisdom with every thought, word, and deed.
blessings

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
They actually call it 'prepping' not 'preparing'
Chefs also talk about 'prepping' a kitchen instead of 'preparing' a meal. They say do your 'prep'.

What it means is have everything ready and on hand so you can cook. Which is of course, quite sensible.

But then theres a whole different kind of prepping that seems really extreme. I think with natural disastaers, the whole prepping thing maybe got popular because of Hurricane Katrina? Everyone can see that many people failed in that one to help each other out. The rich of course got out but the poor were left stranded. Really sad.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I feel like preppers are relying too much on their own ability to squirrel away things. I mean it’s one thing if you want to have some emergency things in case there is a flood/earthquake or some kind of local tragedy, I think that’s very smart.

However when I think of preppers I think like doomsday preppers. They’re preparing for the end of the world, which I think is highly backed by fear.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Is it an american thing do you think? Is it christian or some kind of sect that does this, like jws. Or was it mormons. Both of which are american based sects.

I remember one time doing a first aid course and the paramedic said he was mormon and they said their church was heavily into the prepping thing, and even the land their churches are built on is marked off for civil defence purposes.
He said he actually looked forward to the end of the world and gave the distinct impression that he was.

And jws I know have this weird end times fear. They keep predicting dates of when it will all end and they will be the only ones left.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Sorry jehovahs witnesses. We call them JWs for short.

Nov 8, 2019
Of course Mormons do prepping as a part of their faith

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
You have to remember that what we call "Prepping" today was normal not too long ago (at least here in the US). Think about it, prior to WWII the majority of Americans lived in rural areas without electricity and many were subsistence farmers. In that lifestyle you spent the summer "prepping" for the winter storing up food, firewood, etc because once the snow started to fly you might be on your own for days if not weeks on end. Even post WWII with the population shifting into cities and urban areas the same ideologies were common because of the Cold War.

Even today (here in the US) most civil agencies recommend keeping 3 to 5 days worth of food and water stored long term in case of natural disaster since that is how long it typically takes State and Federal agencies to get situated in disaster relief.

Once you delve into the prepping world you will find a broad spectrum of persons. Some really only are looking to be prepared for that 3 to 5 days, others are concerned about societal breakdown due to the increasing potential for civil unrest who are "prepping" for having to be self sufficient for several weeks to months and of course you have the die hard preppers who are prepped for a year or more (bulk stocked food, etc) plus train in "primitive arts" (life without electricity, or other utilities).

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Todays domestic economic collapse will be worse as many fewer are living in the country and are highly dependent on food being brought into urban areas. Hence the recognition and drive to do the "preparatory" work of storing food and providing for needs should an event occur. A part of "wisdom".
best wishes

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
But isnt this what supermarkets and stores are for. If something happens wouldnt they make provision so that all the stock they have is given out anyway? Nobodys really got room in their own home to store heaps of food.

Its only really rural people that might need to do it cos they live so far away from supermarkets etc. also you can always ask your neigbhours to help you out. Also urbanites are getting into growing their own food wherever theres space.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Must be american thing because of the vast distances involved maybe. I tried to understand the cold war but all I got was US and Russia not liking each other and trying to see who was bigger or more powerful. It never made any sense they weay they kept threateneing to blow each other up and other smaller countries.