L
Last
Guest
1) True, the verb is purgare, I learnt my verbs as infinitives 2) purgatory isn't derived from the english word 'to purge,' but from the latin.
I said the word is a derivative, I didn't mention what language. If you'd like to knock a little strawman, go for it.
Just read up on your canon history. What the protestants call apocrypha the catholics call deutero-canonical, so second rate canonical. The prostants never 'removed' it from the canon, just never incorperated in into their canon. In some protestant bibles you do find those books, but as an appendix.
Call it second rate because it uses '2' is like saying any of the epistles that are second letters are second rate. Protestants did remove it from what was accepted as canon by all Christians until the Reformation. That is why Catholics, Orthodox, and Coptics use it, but protestants do not.
I DO have a point, you said the protestants removed the apocraypha from the Bible because 'they' mention purgatory (which is false.) My dutch (protestant) Statenvertaling (of 1637) still has the apocrypha in it, albeit as an appendix. Not all dutch ARE protestants btw, there's a catholic majority in the south.
I was speaking generally. Most people would get that. If you are just going to split hairs and fight strawmen, there is no point in going on.
NEVER of the proper canon, but as DEUTERO- canonical books, so as a second rate canon.
Btw I'm done correcting your ignorant comments.
You've never addressed anything I said. In this post, you-
1) want to argue about which language the word purgatory comes from - which was a strawman.
2) Went on splitting hairs about the fact that some protestants may have bibles containing the texts and that there are some Dutch Catholics
3) Call the texts 'second rate' because it is sometimes called second (Deutero). I guess 1 Peter is better than 2 Peter.