Requirements of Salvation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 22, 2020
I made this because there are people preaching in these final years of the world, teaching that
just by believing on the Lord Jesus Christ you can be saved. If it was that easy we wouldn't have scriptures
warning us that few will be saved and that the path to eternal life is narrow, of which few be there that find it.

A holy and sanctified life lived in strict obedience unto the commandments and precepts taught in the word of God,
the Holy Bible, is required of all those that seek the salvation of their souls. This is what the Bible is speaking
of when it says that we must be born again. Born again means to be transformed by God into a new moral life.

John 3:3 KJB
"Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except
a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

If all we had to do was simply believe, demons and the wicked heathen would be saved. For there are
innumerable people in this world that war against God and His saints and know the truth.

James 2:19
"Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble."

If all we had to do was believe then this verse below would have no meaning.

Matthew 7:14
"because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."

We see from the verse below that they that do the will of God, that keep His commandments and precepts
taught in the word of God, the Holy Bible, will be saved. Believing on the Lord Jesus Christ that He
is the true messiah, that He really is God in the flesh, is the absolute first step anyone must take on the
path of salvation. It is the first commandment of God we must obey, to simply believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.
For why would anyone even begin to consider keeping His commandments and obey Him if you didn't believe He
was who He said He was.

Matthew 7:21
"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the
will of my Father which is in heaven."

When it says to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ it should always be accompanied with the explanation that
obedience, love and duty to and for Him is also required in this faith.

James 2:17
"Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone."

We see that faith (trust) in God is really false faith without doing the works of God. What works are these?
These works are the commandments and precepts taught in the word of God. For example, overcoming the world,
and the lusts there of, giving alms, preaching the truth of Jesus Christ and the Holy Bible, encouraging one another, loving one another,
honoring your parents, not hating anyone, not stealing, etc. These are just a few of the many holy commandments
given to us by God in the Holy Bible.

1 John 2:17
"And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever."

If the entire Bible could be summed up in one verse I would choose the following.

Ecclesiastes 12:13
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."

Understanding faith and grace.
Faith means to have trust and hope in God.
Grace means the favor of God.
To have faith (trust) in God you must have a good conscious toward Him.
To have a good conscious toward God you must obey Him.
Faith and obedience go hand in hand.
If you are obedient to God's commandments and precepts He will give you true faith, real trust in Him.
He will show you that you can trust in Him by the protection of His Spirit (the Holy Spirit).
Grace and obedience also go hand in hand.
If you are obedient, the grace (favor) of God will be upon you and all that you do.

1 Peter 3:21
"The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the
filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:"

The above verse is not saying that baptism literally saves us. It is saying that by being baptized
you are keeping God's commandment which will allow you to begin to have a good conscience towards
God because of your obedience. Just as believing on the Lord Jesus Christ is a commandment, so also is baptism.
Continue seeking God's will in all that you do to continue with a good conscience toward God.

If you want to be saved from the damnation of Hell, get in the word of God,
start in the New Testament at the gospel of
Matthew, in a King James Bible (PDF above) and
read every word and do exactly as God's word teaches you.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I am so glad that He reveals Himself, shinning His Glory and truth to those who believe and receive Him.

Salvation will ALWAYS belong to Him.

Jeremiah 15:16 is such truth to those who sincerely believe.

Jan 17, 2020
I made this because there are people preaching in these final years of the world, teaching that
just by believing on the Lord Jesus Christ you can be saved. If it was that easy we wouldn't have scriptures
warning us that few will be saved and that the path to eternal life is narrow, of which few be there that find it.

A holy and sanctified life lived in strict obedience unto the commandments and precepts taught in the word of God,
the Holy Bible, is required of all those that seek the salvation of their souls. This is what the Bible is speaking
of when it says that we must be born again. Born again means to be transformed by God into a new moral life.

If all we had to do was simply believe, demons and the wicked heathen would be saved. For there are
innumerable people in this world that war against God and His saints and know the truth.

"Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble."

"because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."

We see from the verse below that they that do the will of God, that keep His commandments and precepts
taught in the word of God, the Holy Bible, will be saved. Believing on the Lord Jesus Christ that He
is the true messiah, that He really is God in the flesh, is the absolute first step anyone must take on the
path of salvation. It is the first commandment of God we must obey, to simply believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.
For why would anyone even begin to consider keeping His commandments and obey Him if you didn't believe He
was who He said He was.

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the

When it says to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ it should always be accompanied with the explanation that

We see that faith (trust) in God is really false faith without doing the works of God. What works are these?
These works are the commandments and precepts taught in the word of God. For example, overcoming the world,
and the lusts there of, giving alms, preaching the truth of Jesus Christ and the Holy Bible, encouraging one another, loving one another,
honoring your parents, not hating anyone, not stealing, etc. These are just a few of the many holy commandments

"And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever."

If the entire Bible could be summed up in one verse I would choose the following.

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."

If you are obedient to God's commandments and precepts He will give you true faith, real trust in Him.
He will show you that you can trust in Him by the protection of His Spirit (the Holy Spirit).
If you are obedient, the grace (favor) of God will be upon you and all that you do.

"The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the
filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:"

The above verse is not saying that baptism literally saves us. It is saying that by being baptized
you are keeping God's commandment which will allow you to begin to have a good conscience towards
God because of your obedience. Just as believing on the Lord Jesus Christ is a commandment, so also is baptism.
Continue seeking God's will in all that you do to continue with a good conscience toward God.

You are turning Christian traits into works the self-righteous must enact to save themselves. You have it exactly backward. It's like saying cats must act like dogs in order to save themselves. But if God changes a cat into a dog, it will do all the things dogs do.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I am so glad that He reveals Himself, shinning His Glory and truth to those who believe and receive Him.

Salvation will ALWAYS belong to Him.

Jeremiah 15:16 is such truth to those who sincerely believe.

Jeremiah 15:16 :)

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019

was who He said He was.

I agree with @BlessedCreator regarding the mass delusion that belief is all that is required for salvation. I recommend watching a series by David Pawson to assist with understanding the process of salvation. It’s called The Key Steps to Becoming a Christian. Here is the first in the seven-part series.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
My modern Bible translation tells me that even the demons believe... and tremble. My modern Bible translation also tells me that without faith it is impossible to please God.

I guess I don't need the KJV to have saving faith in Jesus Christ. :cool:

Apr 3, 2019
start in the New Testament at the gospel of Matthew, in a King James Bible (PDF above) andread every word and do exactly as God's word teaches you.
So if we don't read King Jim's bible we are going to hell.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
40. "For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”
The Book of John chapter 6

Mathew 19

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I believe those mature in faith should drop the bickering over which translation is best.

Faith tells me in a loud and clear manner that when our Father provides Truth to any individual, He will use even what is not for His will to be accomplished.. This is written and this is true.

Share understanding from the Holy Spirit whether derived from your studies of the written Word or given you by the Holy Spirit directly. Remember you first understanding and lean on the Lord. You cannot go wrong.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
To the Author of the OP:

I hope you understand that when Scripture speaks of "believing," it is NOT a one time thing. As in John 3:16, "believeth" is a continuous, never ending action...................which fits perfectly with when Christ said:

Matthew, Chapter 24, verse 13) But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Belief IN Christ is far different than believeth OF Christ, which is what the demons do. They know Christ is real, He lives, and WHO He is, BUT they DO NOT believe IN Him, for if they did, they would not be deamons...................

Is it important to be obedient? Of course, and to fulfill the calling for which one is called for, BUT salvation comes through believing, sanctification comes through all the rest when the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit prepares, equips, leads, guides, and educates believers in their walk with Christ.

John 3:16 IS SALVATION!

any other statement is false in my opinion

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I made this because there are people preaching in these final years of the world, teaching that just by believing on the Lord Jesus Christ you can be saved.
In Acts 16:31, we read - "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, you and you're household." I believe God's Word.

If it was that easy we wouldn't have scriptures
Few will be saved because few believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, but instead, many trust in their works for salvation. (Matthew 7:22-23) Why do you make this so hard? That salvation is by grace through faith and not by works (Ephesians 2:8,9) is not hard to understand. It's just hard for many people to ACCEPT. Their hands are full of their works and they will not let go in order to receive Christ through faith.

the Holy Bible, is required of all those that seek the salvation of their souls.
Do you also teach sinless perfection, along with salvation by works?

This is what the Bible is speaking
When we are born again, we are born from on high, beget into a new life. The believer is regenerated and receives a supernatural, new birth.

Also see (John 4:10,14; 7:37-39; 1 Peter 1:23).

In James 2:19, we see that the demons believe "mental assent" that "there is one God" but they do not believe in/have faith in/trust in/reliance upon Jesus Christ for salvation. In other words, they do not believe on the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31) and are not saved. Their trust and reliance is in Satan, as demonstrated by their rebellion in heaven and continuous evil works. The wicked heathen may believe "mental assent" in the existence of God, but they do not believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and are not saved either.

Jesus Christ is the narrow gate and we enter and receive eternal life through believing in Him (John 3:15,16,18; 6:40,47; 10:9; 11:25,26; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 16:31 etc..). Few truly believe in Jesus as the ALL-sufficient means of their salvation so few will be saved. If believing in Him was insufficient to obtain eternal life, then those passages of scripture would have no meaning and would be misleading.

was who He said He was.
Believing on the Lord Jesus Christ does beyond merely believing "mental assent" that Jesus is the true Messiah and is God in the flesh and also that His death, burial and resurrection "happened." We must ALSO trust in His death, burial and resurrection as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation. (1 Corinthians 15:1-4; Romans 1:16) *That is the crucial element that is missing in "your version" of "believing on the Lord Jesus Christ" and the end result is works righteousness.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Matthew 7:21"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."
John 6:40 - For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. Seeking salvation by works is not the will of the Father.

In other words, salvation by faith + works.

In James 2:14, we read of one who says/claims he has faith but has no works (to give evidence to his claim). That is not genuine faith, but a bare profession of faith. So when James asks, "Can that faith save him?" he is saying nothing against genuine faith, but only against an empty profession of faith/dead faith. *So James does not teach that we are saved "by" works. His concern is to show the reality of the faith professed by the individual (James 2:18) and demonstrate that the faith claimed (James 2:14) by the individual is genuine. Simple!

John 6:28
Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?” 29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

and the lusts there of, giving alms, preaching the truth of Jesus Christ and the Holy Bible, encouraging one another, loving one another, honoring your parents, not hating anyone, not stealing, etc. These are just a few of the many holy commandments
For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. You are confusing God's will for us to become saved with God's will for us after we have been saved. Have you perfectly obeyed all of God's holy commandments? Works salvation/justification by the law is not the path to eternal life. (Romans 3:22-28)

Again, the will of God is not salvation by works. (John 6:40)

The whole duty of those who have already been saved by grace through faith and to "keep" His commandments does not mean sinless, perfect obedience to all of His commandments, as sinless perfectionists teach. 1 John 2:3 - By this we know that we have come to know Him, (already know Him, already saved, demonstrative evidence) if we "keep" (Greek word "tereo" - guard, observe, watch over) His commandments. 4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not "keep" (guard, observe, watch over) His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

What about faith and trust in Jesus Christ and His finished work of redemption?

Unmerited favor of God.

There is no good conscious or obedience without sincere faith.

Unbelievers are not obedient to God's commandments and that is not how we receive true faith. Have have this all backwards.

See post #12 from the link below:

https://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/what-is-grace.151609/

In 1 Peter 3:21, Peter tells us that baptism now saves you, yet when Peter uses this phrase he continues in the same sentence to explain exactly what he means by it. He said that baptism now saves you-not the removal of dirt from the flesh (that is, not as an outward, physical act which washes dirt from the body--that is not what saves you), "but an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ" (that is, as an inward, spiritual transaction between God and the individual, a transaction that is symbolized by the outward ceremony of water baptism).

If you want to be saved, then you need to place your faith (belief, trust, reliance) in Jesus Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of your salvation. Trusting in works for salvation cannot save you. Where do you attend church?

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
So Jesus lied when He said that all who believe on Him shall be saved??

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
So Jesus lied when He said that all who believe on Him shall be saved??
My mind went there too but then I recall how so many people do not understand what "to believe" means. I know you do...………….

E

EleventhHour

This is the work that proves salvation...

Then they inquired, “What must we do to perform the works of God?”

Jesus replied, “The work of God is this: to believe IN the One He has sent.”

John 6:28-29

Apr 22, 2020
This is yet another controversial topic. Some say is a commandment/requirement, while others say is optional. What saith the scripture?

In Mark 16:16 it says:

"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved."

"Why don't we take a brief look at some of the examples from the book of Acts and see if they who believed (the Gospel) were baptized or if it was optional."​

Acts 2:38 & 41

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

***to repent, you first need to believe (the Gospel).

Acts 2:41

"Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

In Acts 10:48

"And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days."

*** see Acts 10:44 "While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word."

Acts 8:36-37

35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

37And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. 38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

***Did you noticed how it was the Eunuch who asked the question about baptism?, that means Philip must of told him that baptism was necessary when he was preaching the word to to the Eunuch.

Acts 16:30-34

30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

*** this is in reference to the jailer asking the question

31And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

*** Paul and Silas replied Believe (in the Gospel/the Word, NOT in the name itself.) To believe is to repent, to obey, to be baptized, or else, how is the jailer going to be baptized if he does not repent and believe in everything that Jesus taught and preached.

32And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.

*** the jailer receives the word (believes) before he is baptized. Now, here is where it gets bumpy for them that believe in infant baptism, because it says (and to all that were in his house), but did you notice the word (and) that means that Paul and Silas preached the Word to other members of the jailers house, and whoever they may be, they had to hear the Gospel and believe as well. unless we are to believe that an infant or a child can repent and believe? although we don't know who these member are, we do know that they had to believe.

33And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.

*** Again, believing comes first before water baptism.

34And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.

*** Both the jailer and his house believed and rejoiced in God. Can an infant do this?

And Finally,

Paul gets Baptized as well

Acts 9:16

16 And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

*** Paul was first called Saul

17 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized."

And there are a few more other verses, but I think these would suffice. As you can see brothers, Baptism is part of your salvation, it is an error to say that it is a work. Please, do not challenge one verse of scripture with another verse; for scriptures are in perfect harmony.

-May the love of God, and Grace of our Lord, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
^ "having been buried with him in THE baptism, in which also ye rose with him through the faith of the working of God, who did raise him out of the dead" Colossians 2:12

"Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?" Romans 6:3

[neither speaks of "water" here = ) ]

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Scripture tells us that it ONLY takes believing in Christ we need for salvation. People were saved in sleep until the crucifixion before. They had faith and gave the symbolic blood of Christ even without being told of Christ. We know they were saved because they walked the streets of Jerusalem as we are told in Matthews. Moses and Elijah are alive we are told.

The question is, can you believe in Christ and believe sin is OK? We know all sin can be forgiven, but what about sin we believe in?

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
This is yet another controversial topic. Some say is a commandment/requirement, while others say is optional. What saith the scripture?

In Mark 16:16 it says:

"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved."
Controversial indeed. Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved (general cases without making a qualification for the unusual case of someone who believes but is not baptized) but he who does not believe will be condemned. The omission of baptized with "does not believe" shows that Jesus does not make baptism absolutely essential to salvation. Condemnation rests on unbelief, not on a lack of baptism. So salvation rests on belief. *NOWHERE does the Bible say "baptized or condemned."

If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then why did Jesus not mention it in the following verses? (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26). What is the ONE requirement that Jesus mentions 9 different times in each of these complete statements? BELIEVES. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? - NO) does not believe is condemned already, because he has not (been water baptized? - NO) because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

"Why don't we take a brief look at some of the examples from the book of Acts and see if they who believed (the Gospel) werebaptized or if it was optional."
Baptism put it in it's proper place, subsequent to saving faith in Christ, as all works must be.

& 41

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

***to repent, you first need to believe (the Gospel).

Acts 2:41

"Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

In Acts 10:48

"And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days."

*** see Acts 10:44 "While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word."
In Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.

*Also compare the fact that these Gentiles in Acts 10:45 received the gift of the Holy Spirit (compare with Acts 2:38 - the gift of the Holy Spirit) and this was BEFORE water baptism (Acts 10:47).

In Acts 10:43 we read ..whoever believes in Him receives remission of sins. Again, these Gentiles received the gift of the Holy Spirit - Acts 10:45 - when they believed on the Lord Jesus Christ - Acts 11:17 - (compare with Acts 16:31 - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved) BEFORE water baptism - Acts 10:47. This is referred to as repentance unto life - Acts 11:18.

*So the only logical conclusion when properly harmonizing Scripture with Scripture is that faith in Jesus Christ "implied in genuine repentance" (rather than water baptism) brings the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18). *Perfect Harmony* (y)

And there are a few more other verses, but I think these would suffice. As you can see brothers, Baptism is part of your salvation, it is an error to say that it is a work. Please, do not challenge one verse of scripture with another verse; for scriptures are in perfect harmony.
Water baptism is a work and we are saved through faith, not works. (Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9) In Matthew 3:13-15, we read - Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him. And John tried to prevent Him, saying, “I need to be baptized by You, and are You coming to me?” But Jesus answered and said to him, “Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed Him. Water baptism is a work of righteousness and we are not saved by works of righteousness which we have done.. (Titus 3:5)

Baptism follows believing the gospel, but it is not a part of the gospel itself (1 Corinthians 1:17; 15:1-4). There are a handful of alleged prooftexts which are often cited in an effort to prove that the Bible makes baptism mandatory for salvation. A careful examination of each of these texts in context will show that none of them prove that baptism is absolutely required for salvation, though they do prove that baptism was an assumed initiatory response to the gospel of salvation. In other words, these texts only prove that baptism is associated with salvation, rather than absolutely required for salvation.

May the love of God, and Grace of our Lord, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
Praise the Lord! :)

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Controversial indeed. Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved (general cases without making a qualification for the unusual case of someone who believes but is not baptized) but he who does not believe will be condemned. The omission of baptized with "does not believe" shows that Jesus does not make baptism absolutely essential to salvation. Condemnation rests on unbelief, not on a lack of baptism. So salvation rests on belief. *NOWHERE does the Bible say "baptized or condemned."

If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then why did Jesus not mention it in the following verses? (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26). What is the ONE requirement that Jesus mentions 9 different times in each of these complete statements? BELIEVES. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? - NO) does not believe is condemned already, because he has not (been water baptized? - NO) because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Baptism put it in it's proper place, subsequent to saving faith in Christ, as all works must be.

In Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.

*Also compare the fact that these Gentiles in Acts 10:45 received the gift of the Holy Spirit (compare with Acts 2:38 - the gift of the Holy Spirit) and this was BEFORE water baptism (Acts 10:47).

In Acts 10:43 we read ..whoever believes in Him receives remission of sins. Again, these Gentiles received the gift of the Holy Spirit - Acts 10:45 - when they believed on the Lord Jesus Christ - Acts 11:17 - (compare with Acts 16:31 - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved) BEFORE water baptism - Acts 10:47. This is referred to as repentance unto life - Acts 11:18.

*So the only logical conclusion when properly harmonizing Scripture with Scripture is that faith in Jesus Christ "implied in genuine repentance" (rather than water baptism) brings the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18). *Perfect Harmony* (y)

Water baptism is a work and we are saved through faith, not works. (Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9) In Matthew 3:13-15, we read - Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him. And John tried to prevent Him, saying, “I need to be baptized by You, and are You coming to me?” But Jesus answered and said to him, “Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed Him. Water baptism is a work of righteousness and we are not saved by works of righteousness which we have done.. (Titus 3:5)

Baptism follows believing the gospel, but it is not a part of the gospel itself (1 Corinthians 1:17; 15:1-4). There are a handful of alleged prooftexts which are often cited in an effort to prove that the Bible makes baptism mandatory for salvation. A careful examination of each of these texts in context will show that none of them prove that baptism is absolutely required for salvation, though they do prove that baptism was an assumed initiatory response to the gospel of salvation. In other words, these texts only prove that baptism is associated with salvation, rather than absolutely required for salvation.

Praise the Lord! :)
The lord uses the physical that we live with to help us understand the spiritual. The world of the lord is related to our world, but it is different, also. We need to understand how water explains the spiritual to us. That takes a study of all scripture, exploring all the ways it is used.

There is a Greek word, (can't locate it again, it is only in my memory) used that is the same as used for the water bath with dye that changes cloth that is used for the water of baptism. We are to know that baptism changes us as much as cloth is changed by its dye water bath.

Perhaps this change can be without the ritual of using water to make it real for us.