Rightly divided

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 26, 2018
Yes, especially John...

John 20:31 NASB
[31] but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.
Can you tell me what your interpretation of “believing” is? In context of this specific scripture?

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
Gospel simly means Good news or a joyful message., hence, Christ "... came to seek and to save that which was lost" is a good message. Is there a good message of salvation in the 4 gospels? Yes! The gospel is both proposition and person. As proposition, it embraces the d, b and R. But the gospel is also about the personhood of Christ so that it is rightfully as Christ claim that "...whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life...

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
Can you show some verses from the four gospels where Jesus and His disciples were preaching the death, burial and resurrection for sins? Thanks.
He was actually telling people that he came to seek and to save that which was lost.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
The disciples never taught the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus for sins during Jesus’ earthly ministry. They had no understanding of it. On one occasion Peter rebuked Jesus for hinting of His death. They actually thought the resurrection was an idle tale.
BTW, the death, burail and resurerection is not actually the definition of the gospel. 1 Cor. 15 as always quoted is the basis of the Gospel which Paul preached...

Dec 26, 2018
Check out John Hagee's babble. He says they can just keep the torah.

Yes

John 20:31
but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.

How about John 3:16? WHAT ABOUT THAT.

If I was to recommend TWO BOOKS from the Bible to someone who just got saved, it would be the gospel of John and the book of Romans!
Romans is definitely my favorite, what do you think of this interpretation?

John 20:31
But these (“these” emphasizing the scripture just prior to this one) and that believing (believing what is in the scripture just beforehand, which was the deciples account of seeing that Jesus has in fact risen) you may have life in his name.

Have I interpreted this passage correctly?

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
If i am telling the gospel to someone im using the method of asking them first if they believe they are going to heaven.
Usually they respond yes, why? Because they are a good person.

Then I give them a couple from the commandments like have you ever lied or stolen? Well you are a lying thief and if God were to judge you for it in a righteous way you would be condemned. Thats the bad news.
Then I give them the good news that God sent His only son to die on the cross for our sins and if you put faith in that you are justified in the eyes of God.
Obviously if I got a bible handy, I will show them this from Romans 3:21-26 etc.

I've found that to be a good presentation. IM NOT claiming its original, I saw it done by a street preacher called Ray Comfort, I dont know much about the man, dont know what he believes and im not his "follower" i just believed it was a simple quick and biblical way to spread the gospel. Lets people know they are sinners, and whats the " way out" repentance and faith!
I dont care what anyone says, this method is GOOD and has produced FRUIT. Therefore I will keep using it!

In fact I would encourage everyone to GO OUT on New Year's eve when there are a ton of people outside, take advantage of that opportunity to spread the gospel. Start a movement in your church, go two-by-two around town, witnessing, soul-winning.

K

kaylagrl

It does not seem as though justice would be served does it? Thankfully it is not you, me, or even his ex-wife that would have the burden to judge him, because I do not know about you, but it would be very difficult for my flesh to handle....especially if I was her.

The Pastor happens to live within the dispinsation of grace, but he does have to be truly saved to enter the kingdom of heaven. Perpetual sin, as you say, was a doctrine my father raised me on...before he died, his last words were “my grace is sufficient for thee” , I watched him change...I was glad for him, that he was able to love those that did not seemingly deserve it...including myself...this Pastor may be the cruelest person inside, he may never have been saved......only God can discern his heart, and he will.

For your friend, I pray that she surrounds herself with friends and family and finds peace....this life can be so unfair. But she needs confidence now, she also needs to meet the real love of her life, I know that he is waiting for her....with prayer, they will find each other
I keep in touch with her often,whenever she just needs to chat. Sometimes one just needs a listening ear.

I have friends that are OSAS. Several actually. Though I don't believe as they do we have wonderful fellowship. You see I do not believe you can lose your salvation. But I do believe you can walk away from it. I do not believe if you fail,as we all do,slip and sin that you are going to hell. But I do believe if you walk away and choose to continually live a sinful lifestyle that you are lost as any other sinner until you repent.

Clearly my pastor friend was saved,clearly he chose to walk away from God's grace. He put his hand to the plough but turned back. He is lost in sin unless.and I pray he does, he repents and turns from his sin.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
I keep in touch with her often,whenever she just needs to chat. Sometimes one just needs a listening ear.

I have friends that are OSAS. Several actually. Though I don't believe as they do we have wonderful fellowship. You see I do not believe you can lose your salvation. But I do believe you can walk away from it. I do not believe if you fail,as we all do,slip and sin that you are going to hell. But I do believe if you walk away and choose to continually live a sinful lifestyle that you are lost as any other sinner until you repent.

Clearly my pastor friend was saved,clearly he chose to walk away from God's grace. He put his hand to the plough but turned back. He is lost in sin unless.and I pray he does, he repents and turns from his sin.
Hi

I would like to once again remind everyone reading that some people who believe that you cannot be "unborn again" believe in PERSEVERENCE OF THE SAINTS! Which means the truly saved will persevere to the end.

This is different from today's "OSAS" which often removes repentance alltogether!

K

kaylagrl

Hi

I would like to once again remind everyone reading that some people who believe that you cannot be "unborn again" believe in PERSEVERENCE OF THE SAINTS! Which means the truly saved will persevere to the end.

This is different from today's "OSAS" which often removes repentance alltogether!
I guess I'm not as up on OSAS as I thought I was. Humm. As I said I don't believe you can lose salvation,but I believe you can walk away. I think Scripture is clear on that. As with my former pastor friend,you can choose to live a life of sin,you can walk away. God always strives with us,calls us to come home. But it is clear,my pastor friend was saved,and turned away. Now I pray he will repent and come back to the fold.

Dec 28, 2016
Hi

Not only does it remove repentance, it makes repentance a mere one time act that doesn't become the lifestyle of the alleged believer. True repentance shows its evidence in Hebrews 12:14.

Then it removes evidence of conversion from the equation, lambasting the doctrine by calling the proponents "works-salvationists."

Then they call one saved if even a "small leaf forms" (immediately upon their emotional decisionalism they are instantly guaranteed heaven) yet they bear no real fruit (Matthew 13:5-6). Next they say they just won't have any rewards, taking 1 Corinthians 3 out of context, when it is apparent they were never truly converted. This is when they convince them they have "fire insurance."

Finally they take these same to 1 John 5:13 in their believe-ism gospel and guarantee them heaven when all along they've been convicted that they have no evidence of genuine conversion, and have instead conviction that they are in fact lost. I pray God these find a true church that preaches the one true Gospel and that God steers them from these false teachers.

The above is what happens when the one true Gospel, in all of its tenets is rejected for a truncated version, and when sound doctrine is no longer endured. They then gather to themselves teachers to scratch their ears; 2 Timothy 4:1-4.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
I guess I'm not as up on OSAS as I thought I was. Humm. As I said I don't believe you can lose salvation,but I believe you can walk away. I think Scripture is clear on that. As with my former pastor friend,you can choose to live a life of sin,you can walk away. God always strives with us,calls us to come home. But it is clear,my pastor friend was saved,and turned away. Now I pray he will repent and come back to the fold.
Rather than proving we can lose our salvation, those people who profess Christ and fall away simply reinforces the importance of testing our salvation to make sure we are in the faith (2 Corinthians 13:5) and making our calling and election sure by continually examining our lives to make sure we are growing in godliness (2 Peter 1:10).

One of the misconceptions about the doctrine of the perseverance of the saints is that it will lead to “carnal Christians” who believe that since they are eternally secure they can live whatever licentious lifestyle they wish and still be saved. But that is a misunderstanding of the doctrine and what the Bible teaches. A person who believes he can live any way he wants because he has professed Christ is not demonstrating true saving faith (1 John 2:3-4). Our eternal security rests on the biblical teaching that those whom God justifies, He will also glorify (Romans 8:29-30). Those who are saved will indeed be conformed to the image of Christ through the process of sanctification (1 Corinthians 6:11). When a person is saved, the Holy Spirit breaks the bondage of sin and gives the believer a new heart and a desire to seek holiness. Therefore a true Christian will desire to be obedient to God and will be convicted by the Holy Spirit when he sins. True Christians will never “live any way they want” because such behavior is impossible for someone who has been given a new nature (2 Corinthians 5:17).

Source: GotQuestions?

K

kaylagrl

Rather than proving we can lose our salvation, those people who profess Christ and fall away simply reinforces the importance of testing our salvation to make sure we are in the faith (2 Corinthians 13:5) and making our calling and election sure by continually examining our lives to make sure we are growing in godliness (2 Peter 1:10).

One of the misconceptions about the doctrine of the perseverance of the saints is that it will lead to “carnal Christians” who believe that since they are eternally secure they can live whatever licentious lifestyle they wish and still be saved. But that is a misunderstanding of the doctrine and what the Bible teaches. A person who believes he can live any way he wants because he has professed Christ is not demonstrating true saving faith (1 John 2:3-4). Our eternal security rests on the biblical teaching that those whom God justifies, He will also glorify (Romans 8:29-30). Those who are saved will indeed be conformed to the image of Christ through the process of sanctification (1 Corinthians 6:11). When a person is saved, the Holy Spirit breaks the bondage of sin and gives the believer a new heart and a desire to seek holiness. Therefore a true Christian will desire to be obedient to God and will be convicted by the Holy Spirit when he sins. True Christians will never “live any way they want” because such behavior is impossible for someone who has been given a new nature (2 Corinthians 5:17).

Source: GotQuestions?

So what would you say of my pastor friend? Was he not a true Christian? Not truly saved?

Dec 26, 2018

One of the misconceptions about the doctrine of the perseverance of the saints is that it will lead to “carnal Christians” who believe that since they are eternally secure they can live whatever licentious lifestyle they wish and still be saved. But that is a misunderstanding of the doctrine and what the Bible teaches. A person who believes he can live any way he wants because he has professed Christ is not demonstrating true saving faith (1 John 2:3-4). Our eternal security rests on the biblical teaching that those whom God justifies, He will also glorify (Romans 8:29-30). Those who are saved will indeed be conformed to the image of Christ through the process of sanctification (1 Corinthians 6:11). When a person is saved, the Holy Spirit breaks the bondage of sin and gives the believer a new heart and a desire to seek holiness. Therefore a true Christian will desire to be obedient to God and will be convicted by the Holy Spirit when he sins. True Christians will never “live any way they want” because such behavior is impossible for someone who has been given a new nature (2

So, I have a question.....do you sin?

Dec 26, 2018
Not only does it remove repentance, it makes repentance a mere one time act that doesn't become the lifestyle of the alleged believer. True repentance shows its evidence in Hebrews 12:14.

Then it removes evidence of conversion from the equation, lambasting the doctrine by calling the proponents "works-salvationists."

Then they call one saved if even a "small leaf forms" (immediately upon their emotional decisionalism they are instantly guaranteed heaven) yet they bear no real fruit (Matthew 13:5-6). Next they say they just won't have any rewards, taking 1 Corinthians 3 out of context, when it is apparent they were never truly converted. This is when they convince them they have "fire insurance."

Finally they take these same to 1 John 5:13 in their believe-ism gospel and guarantee them heaven when all along they've been convicted that they have no evidence of genuine conversion, and have instead conviction that they are in fact lost. I pray God these find a true church that preaches the one true Gospel and that God steers them from these false teachers.

The above is what happens when the one true Gospel, in all of its tenets is rejected for a truncated version, and when sound doctrine is no longer endured. They then gather to themselves teachers to scratch their ears; 2 Timothy 4:1-4.

Do you sin?

Dec 26, 2018
So what would you say of my pastor friend? Was he not a true Christian? Not truly saved?
Based on his doctrine, he would respond with the answer “no”......because as he said, “a true Christian would not allow this to happen”, and notice that it is not God that is passing this judgement on the Pastor, it is a mere man.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Can you tell me what your interpretation of “believing” is? In context of this specific scripture?
Believing is to the point of receiving where one becomes born again...

He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name: (John 1:11-12 KJV)

What is your point in this line of questioning?

Dec 26, 2018
Believing is to the point of receiving where one becomes born again...

He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name: (John 1:11-12 KJV)[

Clarity....

Do you sin?