Sabbath Obligation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 28, 2016
There is no Sabbath in the NT. It's called the Lord's Day.
To fast is to share the gospel .

The word sabbath is not a time sensitive word. The Lords day is the last day. After the last trump. . the voice of God. "Come up" .

Revelation 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

Whenever we mix the temporal things seen with the unseen faith of Christ we have in effect entered his rest.

It is him who works in us to both will and do the good pleasure so that we can rest .We rest anytime when we are yoked with Him. He says as long as today is today (under the Sun)

If there is no mixing of the things seen and hear with the unseen eternal . . . no rest no gospel

Hebrews 4 King James Version (KJV) Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

That is how we enter his sabbath. Not be not eating and not working .That a different kind of rest.

The ceremonial law is sign to the whole world it teaches us of getting the gospel out called the fast. It was not a day set aside to vegetate and sleep all day and freeze .

One person did not obey the law and gathered firewood on the day .The day they were to go out and do the work of sharing the gospel. Twice as much was to be prepared on day prior to the sabbath. He was not faulted for trying to keep warm . When the manna stopped . The tradition changed.

And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation. And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him. And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp. Numbers 32-35

Many have turned that into permission to not get the gospel out. But makes it a relaxing sport filled day or some other activity that has nothing to do with the gospel according to the true fast .(sharing the manna gospel)

The requirement for getting the gospel out included cooking the manna the day before so that they would have food to share to represent the gospel.

Again the manna stooped . Three kosher meals on the day they are drawn out to bring the good news it had become the new standard .

For some reason those who paraphrased the new testament changed the non time sensitive word rest (sabbath into week. A word that was not even in the Greek language at the time the new testament was penned . .

The comparison of the two men in that parable .One was bragging he only ate two of the three allowable kosher meals on the sabbath day... the same day (Not week) he brought the tithes.

Changing the word rest into week to me stands out like a sore thumb . Again losing the value of the word rest.

Luke 18:12I fast twice in the week,I give tithes of all that I possess.

The word sabbath does not mean "week" it mean "rest".

-

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The Sabbath of the Lord has , is and will always be the Seventh Day. Your "day of the Lord" is something not mentioned as being the replacement of the Seventh Day gift from God, not ever.

As far as the Day of the Lord, you should pay attention to GAREE, and the Word.

Do not, asy you like to say, work it. It is quite plainly written without your embellishments. May God bless you with His wisdom, understanding and knowledge when sharing His Word.

Mar 28, 2016
Responding to the title only, the Sabbath is never an obligation for the faithful, it is a joy, and of course, praise to our Maker, enjoy, enjoy.
Thanks well said.

Sharing what one has with their neighbor is the true fast (Isiah 58) . It would seem the tithe was part of the fast getting the gospel out. . .sharing a tenth with the less fortunate .

The paraphrasers it would seem changed the non time sensitive word rest (sabbath) into "week" .I think destroying the word rest.(sabbath ) And I would think it challenges the rest we do have when we do hear and believe .

I am clearly not any kind of scholar . But anytime we do the work he requires of us. He not only wills but works to strengthen us . Yoked = Rest

Sabbath = rest

Week = 7 days

Luke 18:11-13 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the Sabbath , I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

Not I fast. . getting the gospel out twice in the week .

Luke 18:11-13 King James Version (KJV) The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

Apr 22, 2020
Do not add to nor take away from the Word of God. Jesus-Yeshua teaches in Matthew we are not to teach against the least of the laws He has given us that comply with faith, justice and mercy.. Perhaps some divide the Word as understood the word, divide, today, but they certainly are not learning all of it. At least not all pertaining to how our Savior teaches the New Testament. Do not simply pick out a few phrases when John and Jesus have said we should obey the commandments in the Epistles of John and in Revelation , but always we should Obey the Father knowing we are saved by grace.
What verse are you talking of? Also you are teaching people they are the law which is just not true as I have proven. You are teaching people they need to be Jews. Nigh blasphemy leading people contrary to what Gid's will is.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
To fast is to share the gospel .
Where is that in Scripture? How does "sharing the gospl" line up with "I fast twice in the week"? Were the Pharisees righteous when they "shared the gospel" twice on the Sabbath, as you have effectively claimed?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Thanks well said.

Sharing what one has with their neighbor is the true fast (Isiah 58) . It would seem the tithe was part of the fast getting the gospel out. . .sharing a tenth with the less fortunate .
Only the third tithe was for the less fortunate. The primary tithe went to the Levites. How is that "getting the gospel out"?

Bluntly, you're in error on this matter... not that me telling you is going to make a whit of difference.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
What verse are you talking of? Also you are teaching people they are the law which is just not true as I have proven. You are teaching people they need to be Jews. Nigh blasphemy leading people contrary to what Gid's will is.
Go, read in Romans that our faith establishes the law. My own faith in Jesus-Yeshua has had the law established by Him from His teaching of the Good News.
Be careful how you use the word, Jew, for there are those of the synagogue of Satan who profess to be Jews and are not.

All who believe Yeshua are by translation, Jews, for all true Jews praise Yahweh-God.

Mar 28, 2016
Only the third tithe was for the less fortunate. The primary tithe went to the Levites. How is that "getting the gospel out"?

Bluntly, you're in error on this matter... not that me telling you is going to make a whit of difference.

I would think on larger gathering of more than two or three families the priest took on the responsibility to provide for the widows and orphans.

It did not affect the principle of the fast (rest) get the gospel out.

larger gathering needed laws as shadows to govern the gospel ceremonies . Today we have our high priest Christ sends us out to share the bread and draws some in .

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I would think on larger gathering of more than two or three families the priest took on the responsibility to provide for the widows and orphans.

It did not affect the principle of the fast (rest) get the gospel out.

larger gathering needed laws as shadows to govern the gospel ceremonies . Today we have our high priest Christ sends us out to share the bread and draws some in .
You're welcome to your opinion of course, but when you make claims as to what the Scripture states, your statements must be consistent with Scripture. Nothing is said in the Law about the Levites taking care of of the less fortunate. Further, while all priests are Levites, not all Levites are priests.

The "gospel" was not preached by the Levites at all; they didn't know it. I have asked you where in Scripture "fasting" is defined, or even correlated, with "getting the gospel out". You haven't answered. Until you do, with Scripture, all the comments you make on the subject are wasted. Establish the foundation of the idea first, then build on it.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
You should not accuse the brethren unless you truly understand what they are sharing with the members of the Body of Yeshua. You do not understand a bit of what I share, and you have not proved anything, not at all.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
If you really keep the Sabbath and not work the system, no fire allowed on Saturday.
This would be so if you deny the teachings of Christ, with Paul explaining Christ in the NT. The OT is of God and so is the NT. God destroys nothing that He has done but some things are not of use any longer but obsolete.

Diakonos

Jan 19, 2019
Anacortes, WA
There is no Sabbath in the NT
1589658877991.png And in Matthew 24, Jesus said to the Jews
But pray that your flight will not be in the winter, or on a Sabbath.” (Matthew 24:20) (Future event)

Jesus was speaking of the time of the Abomination of Desolation. He said that the Jews should flee to the mountains when they see the Abomination of Desolation erected in the Temple (by the Man of Lawlessness/Antichrist/Little Horn.....Dan 7:24; 2 Thes 2:3-12; 1 Jhn 2:18-22; 2 Jhn 7; Rev 13:1-10; Dan 7:25; Matt 24:24; Rev 19:19-21.

Attachments

Diakonos

Jan 19, 2019
Anacortes, WA
Go, read in Romans that our faith establishes the law. My own faith in Jesus-Yeshua has had the law established by Him from His teaching of the Good News.
Be careful how you use the word, Jew, for there are those of the synagogue of Satan who profess to be Jews and are not.

All who believe Yeshua are by translation, Jews, for all true Jews praise Yahweh-God.
Yes, born again Gentiles are "true Jews'" in the spirit (in Chirst). Well said Brother

Apr 22, 2020
Romans 6:14 says we are not under the law. We no longer need to sacrifice animals for our sins and trespasses or where tassels on the corners of clothing or bind phylacteries on the head and arm or any of the other 600+ commandments God gave to Moses (the law) to teach the children of Israel.

Do you eat pork or other prohibited animals in the law? Or did God reveal to us in Acts chapter 10 when Peter had the visions atop the house about God no longer requiring

Apr 22, 2020
"But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, said the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. "

The morality that the law of Moses taught is written in believer's hearts. We no longer need to keep the outward acts.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Lets say.... you go to some Christian gathering. You know no one. Question gets asked and 20 plus people answer. And then there are so many different answers. :)

Sorry.. whos right? Seems almost impossible for us to just get past..And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath". Yeah.. that seems to not answer anything for some.

Then were talking about not Jewish people but other nations where most of what was for Israel was not for the other nations. Its treated like your saved? Great..did you know your JEWISH now and you have to keep and follow.... " pffft

You end up keeping, doing what some MAN wants you to do. That verse "don't let any man tell you". Well thats now "what he was REALLY saying was".. you then ask.. "didn't I see you with the group of 20 plus? Who are you? :D lol

Praise GOD for those that keep the Sabbath on Saturday.. on Sunday.. what ever. We do know that were not hear to please man right? And then as if ..get this.. as if a GOD that .. we can't even begin to describe Him. As if HE can't teach His own. As if God the great I am needs man. The gospel would still reach the world. He needs no one. See what HE not you not me.. what HE started.. HE not you not me He alone will finish. For HE alone will get all the glory and no man will glory in His sight.

There has been so many days years I never went to Church. I am no proud of this at all. And yet He still talked worked in my life and never once did He even bring it up.. ever judged me never condemned me. MAN DID not Him. You would think HE would be the first. Nope..

Praise GOD for Christ that died and rose. I remember it always. Yes.. I can be wrong.. Change me 1st Father

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Romans 6:14 says we are not under the law. We no longer need to sacrifice animals for our sins and trespasses or where tassels on the corners of clothing or bind phylacteries on the head and arm or any of the other 600+ commandments God gave to Moses (the law) to teach the children of Israel.

Do you eat pork or other prohibited animals in the law? Or did God reveal to us in Acts chapter 10 when Peter had the visions atop the house about God no longer requiring
You must pay attention if you truly wish to dialog with others here. No one has said we are to give anything to our Father since that only Sacrifice for our sins, but go ahead and hear what you want and see what you want, neither is there.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
"But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, said the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. "

The morality that the law of Moses taught is written in believer's hearts. We no longer need to keep the outward acts.
What you are teaching is Ghostism, not Christianity. The Ghostics say that only the spiuritual has value, anything physical is evil. Read the second chapter of Colossians, it teaches that this is the ideas of false prophets teaching the the physical of teaching do not touch, taste, or handle is not to be listened to.

The Lord is speaking to us through the Holy Spirit, the Lord is not speaking to us through the orders of physical orders that only symbolize the spirit. The Lord is not saying we must not do anything except with our thoughts or spirit. We are still to worship, feast, celebrate.