sabbath

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
Simply because the sabbath is intended for the Jews. It is a sign for Israel. This covenant is throughout their generations. In the New Testament, Jesus breaks the sabbath law, thus started a new generation base on faith. His death, burial and resurrection is the basis of the New Testament Christianity and is no longer a law, so is no longer kept.

Exodus 31:13 King James Version (KJV)
13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Adding to what Fredoheaven said, consider the council of Acts 15, and the subsequent explanation by Paul to the Galatians. Christians, and especially gentile (non-Israelite) Christians, were given four commands by the council, and Sabbath observance is not one of them. Believers in Christ are never commanded to obey the Old Testament Sabbath laws. In contrast, Paul says to the Galatians, "You observe days and months and seasons and years. I fear for you, that perhaps I have laboured over you in vain" (Gal. 4: 10-11).

Simply put, the command to observe the Sabbath is part of the Sinai covenant. Christians are under the new covenant in Christ's blood, which Hebrews tells us is a superior covenant.

That all said, if you want to rest and focus on the Lord on a certain day, go for it, but don't do it out of a sense of legalistic obedience, and don't try to convince other Christians that they must do the same as you. :)

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
why is the sabbath not been kept by all Christians? I need guidance please
Fist of all, I would say observed in place of "kept," for I am free to obsrve the Seventh Day as given by God. As for others when they observe the Gift of God on another day with good cconscience in His dight therese is no sin, but they are doing accordign to what has been given by men and not by our Father.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Simply because the sabbath is intended for the Jews. It is a sign for Israel. This covenant is throughout their generations. In the New Testament, Jesus breaks the sabbath law, thus started a new generation base on faith. His death, burial and resurrection is the basis of the New Testament Christianity and is no longer a law, so is no longer kept.

Exodus 31:13 King James Version (KJV)
13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.
I beg to disagree.... If Jesus broke the Sabbath law he would have sinned and Bible clearly states that Jesus never sinned. He supposedly broke the law according to Jewish leaders but he did not break it according to God.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
One mans Sabbath is another mans...……..well...….

Also, pray tell, exactly how many Sabbaths are listed in the Old Testament?

Saturday worship (if that is what you are speaking of) isn't the only thing "all Christians" don't keep.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Fist of all, I would say observed in place of "kept," for I am free to obsrve the Seventh Day as given by God. As for others when they observe the Gift of God on another day with good cconscience in His dight therese is no sin, but they are doing accordign to what has been given by men and not by our Father.
Been wondering where you were Brother...…..God bless ya......

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Been wondering where you were Brother...…..God bless ya......
My hd burned out. I could have replaced it, but how do I know how the rest of the PC is, so I am still setting up the options, bells and whistles on this new one. Praise God, it has been a bit of an ordeal but lots of good things are coming out of it...All blessing in Jesus..j

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
We are permitted to worhip, encouraged to, any day of the week. Our walk in Jesus, Yeshua, is worship.

As for the Sevfenth Day, there is only one. As for a day made special by our Father only, it is only that seventh day after the six of creation. It is a personal gift from the Father to His Children to have a dy set aside just for the family to rest from the six ordinary working days with each other .. No special rules except to honor our Father.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Christians observe the first day of the week as the Christian sabbath. That would be the eighth day. The seventh-day sabbath was given to Israel.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Sabbath keeping with all it's rules and regulations, was part of a covenant with Israel (Exodus 16:23, 29; 31:12-18; 35:1-3; Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3, 32; Numbers 15:32-36; 28:1-10; 29:39-40; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13; Amos 8:5; Nehemiah 10:31) that is not binding on Christians under the New Covenant.

*Colossians 2:16 - Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Feb 28, 2016
MATT. 5:17.
Think not that I am come to destroy the Law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

JOHN 5:46.
For had you believed Moses, you would have believed Me: for he wrote of Me.

ISAIAH 66:23.
And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another,
shall all flesh come to worship before Me, saith The LORD.

MATT. 19:17.
And He said unto him, Why callest thou Me good? there is none good but One, that is, God:
but if you wilt enter into life, keep the Commandments.

JOHN 14:15.
If you LOVE ME, keep My Commandments.

1JOHN 3:22.
And whatsoever we ask, we receive of Him, because we keep His Commandments,
and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Sabbath was given to Adam and Eve at the end of creation week by God who had finished his work and made a day for man to rest and come apart to worship with Him in a special way. God blessed and sanctified that day made it a holy day so we could commune with Him. Those who think it was made just for the Jews haven't paid attention to creation week.

Wish I could have been in the Garden of Eden and worshiped with God when He walked and talked with Adam and Eve. What a special time that would have been to see the whole week of creation at completion and then to worship with God every 7th day and rest with Him in that special garden.

Sabbath law was written down as the Jews had been in slavery for over 400 years and forgotten or didn't know what God's laws were so they were written for them and given as two tablets of stone to Moses. Adam and Eve didn't need written laws as God told them or they understood as Adam and Eve were perfect before they sinned so they were in harmony with God and his laws in the beginning.

Has anyone even thought about why God said Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy? Maybe because everyone wants to forget it and do their own thing.

Sabbath is a day to remember God to commune with Him and spend special time with Him as the focus of our worship and praise. He gave us six days to labor and take care of the things of life and asked us to Remember to spend time with Him on a day that He set aside especially just for that. A day God set aside not a day that man set aside.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Although God's rest on the seventh day (Genesis 2:3) did foreshadow a future Sabbath law, there is no Biblical record of keeping the Sabbath day before the children of Israel left the land of Egypt. *Nowhere in Scripture is there any hint that Sabbath keeping was practiced from Adam to Moses.

The word "Sabbath" first appears in Exodus 16:23 - Then he said to them, “This is what the Lord has said: ‘Tomorrow is a Sabbath rest, a holy Sabbath to the Lord. Bake what you will bake today, and boil what you will boil; and lay up for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until morning.

God’s Word makes it quite clear that Sabbath observance was a sign between God and Israel:“The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested” (Exodus 31:16-17).

In Deuteronomy 5, Moses restates the Ten Commandments to the next generation of Israelites. Here, after commanding Sabbath observance in verses 12–14, Moses gives the reason the Sabbath was given to the nation Israel: “Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.” (Deuteronomy 5:15)

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
MATT. 5:17.
Think not that I am come to destroy the Law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

JOHN 5:46.
For had you believed Moses, you would have believed Me: for he wrote of Me.

ISAIAH 66:23.
And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another,
shall all flesh come to worship before Me, saith The LORD.

MATT. 19:17.
And He said unto him, Why callest thou Me good? there is none good but One, that is, God:
but if you wilt enter into life, keep the Commandments.

JOHN 14:15.
If you LOVE ME, keep My Commandments.

1JOHN 3:22.
And whatsoever we ask, we receive of Him, because we keep His Commandments,
and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.
Just jot down THE LIST you refer to and post it. It may be long, it may be short. Who knows?
But for pity's sake DONT FORGET ONE! It may put your eternal soul in jeopardy.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Sabbath was given to Adam and Eve at the end of creation week by God who had finished his work and made a day for man to rest and come apart to worship with Him in a special way. God blessed and sanctified that day made it a holy day so we could commune with Him. Those who think it was made just for the Jews haven't paid attention to creation week.

Wish I could have been in the Garden of Eden and worshiped with God when He walked and talked with Adam and Eve. What a special time that would have been to see the whole week of creation at completion and then to worship with God every 7th day and rest with Him in that special garden.

Sabbath law was written down as the Jews had been in slavery for over 400 years and forgotten or didn't know what God's laws were so they were written for them and given as two tablets of stone to Moses. Adam and Eve didn't need written laws as God told them or they understood as Adam and Eve were perfect before they sinned so they were in harmony with God and his laws in the beginning.

Has anyone even thought about why God said Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy? Maybe because everyone wants to forget it and do their own thing.

Sabbath is a day to remember God to commune with Him and spend special time with Him as the focus of our worship and praise. He gave us six days to labor and take care of the things of life and asked us to Remember to spend time with Him on a day that He set aside especially just for that. A day God set aside not a day that man set aside.
The key word in the 4th Commandment is 'Remember'. People forget.

Bibleteacher

Dec 28, 2017
Col. 2:13-16: “God kindly forgave us all our trespasses and blotted out the handwritten document against us, which consisted of decrees and which was in opposition to us . . . Therefore let no man judge you in eating and drinking or in respect of a festival or of an observance of the new moon or of a sabbath.” (If a person was under the Mosaic Law and was judged guilty of profaning the Sabbath, he was to be stoned to death by the whole congregation, according to Exodus 31:14 and Numbers 15:32-35. Many who argue for sabbath keeping have reason to be glad that we are not under that Law. As shown in the scripture here quoted, an approved standing with God no longer requires observance of the sabbath requirement given to Israel.)

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
The word sabbath means rest. Christians rest in Christ.

Therefore Old Testament sabbath was a shadow of what Christ would give us.

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Why would a person work to do something they think they are commanded to do when it is freely given by Christ?

How is it that people all know that animal sacrifice is fulfilled in Christ but sabbath somehow isn't????????

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Isn't animal sacrifice a "jot or tittle"?? I would say it is more significant than a mere jot or tittle. So what does that say for the rest of the law???? (all fulfilled in Christ)