Sad statistic...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jase

Jun 9, 2021
Heard on the radio.. on a Christian talk show.

In the 1960's... there were 90% Christians .

Now...down to 64% Christians.

Can anyone explain this?🤔

Care to give an opinion? 🤗

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I wonder what the percentage of those 60's 90% being nominal Christians would be?

Mem

Sep 23, 2014

Perhaps this reflects the population growth amid an increase of other religious affiliations? Is there another religion that might've grown by 26%?

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022

I think it comes down to social issues.
For example, in the 1960s the gays were in the closet so no one was really confronted with homosexuality. However now gays are out and open so more people do not think it is that big of a deal so they have distanced themselves from Christianity. Also, there there are other examples like premarital sex/living together before marriage, etc. People in the 1960s were probably more insulated possibly not knowing many people from other religions. People have become more liberal about social issues.

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
People are still interested in religion and spirituality but have moved towards more humanist type religions like Buddhism.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Hmm... 64% seems a bit high. Did they mention when that statistic was measured? More than half doesn't sound like that strait gate that few people find in Matthew 7:14.

Probably some things that could be shaken have not been shaken. Yet. When they do get shaken we'll see how many christians shake out.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Hmm... 64% seems a bit high. Did they mention when that statistic was measured? More than half doesn't sound like that strait gate that few people find in Matthew 7:14.

Probably some things that could be shaken have not been shaken. Yet. When they do get shaken we'll see how many christians shake out.
Shaken, not stirred. Sorry, that's what James Bond says. My bad, per usual.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Ah yes, great topic And a sad situation indeed.
I think this has to do with the approach which I mention from time to time.
The approach of many Christians especially in USA is: I am right and you are wrong and if you don’t listen to me you‘re gonna go to Hell.

This is an absolute guarantee to push others away because no one wants to talk to an arrogant person.

As Gandhi said : I like your Christ but I don’t like your Christians, they’re so unlike your Christ.

Also here’s an article here aptly named “Christians do a poor job representing Jesus“ which talks about why the young generations don’t believe in Christianity .

https://www.brnow.org/news/christians-do-poor-job-of-representing-jesus-teens-say-in-global-study/

So maybe we need to examine ourselves a little?

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain
in the 60s many in America and the world thought they were Chrisitan simply by the country they lived in.

Now the truth is revealed and many are now honest and admit they are not following Christ.

So i dont believe there is more or less percentage saved , just less saying they are.

Remember the path to Heaven is a narrow path that few will follow. The many will go the easy path.

So few and many are not measurable but to me it means always less than the majority. so whenever i see statistics claiming high percentages of saved i just nod and smile. It is more like 10-15% perhaps or best 20-30% and that is the way it is.

PEople are now just feeling more free to be honest about what they beleive in and not just tick on surveys "christian" nothing to do with changing culture or anything. just the reality. Chrisitans are and always will be the minority.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
in the 60s many in America and the world thought they were Chrisitan simply by the country they lived in.

Now the truth is revealed and many are now honest and admit they are not following Christ.

So i dont believe there is more or less percentage saved , just less saying they are.

Remember the path to Heaven is a narrow path that few will follow. The many will go the easy path.

So few and many are not measurable but to me it means always less than the majority. so whenever i see statistics claiming high percentages of saved i just nod and smile. It is more like 10-15% perhaps or best 20-30% and that is the way it is.

PEople are now just feeling more free to be honest about what they beleive in and not just tick on surveys "christian" nothing to do with changing culture or anything. just the reality. Chrisitans are and always will be the minority.
So much for Jerry Falwell's moral majority...

K

kaylagrl

Ah yes, great topic And a sad situation indeed.
I think this has to do with the approach which I mention from time to time.
The approach of many Christians especially in USA is: I am right and you are wrong and if you don’t listen to me you‘re gonna go to Hell.

This is an absolute guarantee to push others away because no one wants to talk to an arrogant person.

As Gandhi said : I like your Christ but I don’t like your Christians, they’re so unlike your Christ.

Also here’s an article here aptly named “Christians do a poor job representing Jesus“ which talks about why the young generations don’t believe in Christianity .

https://www.brnow.org/news/christians-do-poor-job-of-representing-jesus-teens-say-in-global-study/

So maybe we need to examine ourselves a little?

From the article “The impression these voices offer is that this generation is open, inclusive and curious about different faiths and perspectives. "

Inclusive, something Christians cannot be. Judgemental is a word that was used, and I'm afraid there is such a spirit of deception among young people today that they are very hard to reach. When it comes to homosexuality and transgenderism the church has laid back as much as possible. Few churches will come out and preach against it, or couples living together even. You're telling the church to be like the world to gain members. It just doesn't work that way.

arthurfleminger

Aug 18, 2021
It's not just the United States in which Christianity is on the decline. The same thing is occurring in every economically wealthy 'First World' country.........Europe/Canada.

The decline in Christianity is simple, people aren't interested. They are more interested in what the world has to offer them in the way of sex/money/power/gratification/materialism.....etc, than what Christ has to offer them.

Keep in mind that, when Satan tempted Jesus that he tempted Him with all the things that the world had to offer, kingdoms of the earth if only Jesus would bow down and worship Satan. Jesus refused, but the 'well-off' people in today's world are not refusing. They are 'bowing down and worshiping' the things that the world has to offer. They are making a clear choice of the world over Christ.

But all is not lost. Keep in mind,, that when Jesus ascended to heaven, He only left a handful of disciples to carry on the faith and spread it throughout the world. He sent them as sheep in to a world filled with hungry wolves. And, this may be what He is asking each of us to do today; To Spread His Gospel in a world filled with people who don't want to hear it.

I do see hopeful signs in the world. Countries that used to be fanatically atheist, during my lifetime, are coming home to Christ. This includes Russia, China, and Cuba. Christianity is also growing rapidly, by leaps and bounds in Africa and it is growing in India.

All people haven't lost interest. I can't travel 5 miles from my residence without running across 5-10 Christian churches. And their parking lots are filled on Sundays.

I think I have a final question. What are we, each of us doing, to reevangalize the country, our neighbors, our friends, and our families who have dropped away from the faith? If the answer to that question is 'nothing', then we/you are part of the problem.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
The stats are those who identify as christian.
The majority of those believe that what Jesus did to atone for their sins on the cross was insufficient. They believe that their behavior and church ordinances will be the measuring stick by which they are judged. Why?
That's what their pastors and priests taught them since childhood. Matthew 7:21...

How do I know this?
1. I've done door to door surveys on this subject.
2. I've also been to a wide variety of denominational assemblies.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022

I'm actually surprised the number is still so high given the changes in societal norms and mores and the whitewashing of all things biblical in the public square.
It is, however, something the church will need to understand if it is going to make an impact in an ever changing world. And the the good news is that the gospel hasn't lost any of its ability to save.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
My experience with this subject is something like this:

A person lost in the world, with drugs, sex, wealth or depression instinctively knows to reach for God.
When they reach this point they go into a church and say things like:

I hate God, why is He doing these things to me? I lost my mother, I lost my child, I lost my wife. I HATE God! I want to kill myself and I’ve been doing drugs.

Now the Christian here does the worst thing in telling this person that their thinking is wrong And they quote some scripture which may make that person even more angry.

Instead that person may need a hug and just sitting with him in silence instead of being un-compassionate or arrogant with your ego.
Maybe that person needs some care daily, which you have to take out of your OWN personal time.

Jase

Jun 9, 2021
All great responses!👍

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
There's a movie coming out Feb 24 called Jesus Revolution, about the 70's movement in SoCal. Then there's the series The Chosen, a worldwide hit. Hopefully these rays of light in the midst of the darkness of most current shows and movies will produce a great harvest.
The thing is, the Body of Christ (Church) will always prayer power to overcome while we're here😇🙏 and to share the gospel whenever we get a chance.