Should a Christian tithe, what does the Bible say

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 7, 2017
No, christian shouldn't tithe. All precepts of the Levitical Priesthood were revoked. (Heb 7.12,18).

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
Well if a Christian will give his 10 percent then it should not be compelled or forced by his money hungry pastor.

it must be voluntarily.

2 Corinthians 9:7 King James Version (KJV)

7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

it is also clear in Corinthians that he should give as he purposeth in his hearth.

it means it can be less or more than 10 percent.

you can even give a cent like what we are doing during our Masses.

so those religions who compel to give 10 percent or more and even frighten its members of God's curses of not giving anymore are not of God.

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
Well if a Christian will give his 10 percent then it should not be compelled or forced by his money hungry pastor.

it must be voluntarily.

2 Corinthians 9:7 King James Version (KJV)

7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

it is also clear in Corinthians that he should give as he purposeth in his hearth.

it means it can be less or more than 10 percent.

you can even give a cent like what we are doing during our Masses.

so those religions who compel to give 10 percent or more and even frighten its members of God's curses of not giving anymore are not of God.
If christians gave at least 10 percent there wouldnt be so many churches closing or pastors having to work a 2.nd job to support his family..bigger food kitchens and benelavant funds to help the congregation in need etc...

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
You're digging yourself in deeper, and deeper, and deeper, and deeper.

Danny, assuming that you are saved, and assuming that someday you mature, both in Christ and as a human being, one day you'll look back in shame and horror at the way you treated people on this forum.

I hope for all our sakes, but especially yours, that that day comes soon.
Would you prefer it if I lied to you, instead of speaking the truth and hurting you. If you accepted Gods Word, you would tank me for warning you about your grave errors. "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge", I'm trying to give you some sound advice because I care about you, I don't want to see you go into eternal destruction

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Would you prefer it if I lied to you, instead of speaking the truth and hurting you. If you accepted Gods Word, you would tank me for warning you about your grave errors. "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge", I'm trying to give you some sound advice because I care about you, I don't want to see you go into eternal destruction
Now read that back to yourself, as if one of us had written it.

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
John, the one Jesus called the greatest of all the prophets, followed a satanic gospel?
Yep, I'm not surprised to hear your summary of John. Wow you're pretty smart man, how did you become so wise. You give Solomon a good run for his money, and I thought I'd heard it all then you come and take the cake :devilish:

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
You have to start learning to rely on your own acquired wisdom and knowledge and not allow a pastor to do your thinking for you.
No thanks, I have seen first hand what happens when a person gets lost in their own self appointed wisdom. For all have gone astray, professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

We have 40,000 Christian sects and cults, all wise guys like these here claiming their view is the only truth in town. What a sick and pathetic situation, having millions of fools fooling each other and being fooled. Paul warned us that this would happen, he knew about the depth of depravity of the reprobate

J

jaybird88

Yep, I'm not surprised to hear your summary of John. Wow you're pretty smart man, how did you become so wise. You give Solomon a good run for his money, and I thought I'd heard it all then you come and take the cake :devilish:
i have no idea what your talking about.
you said poverty is for losers.
John lived a life of poverty.
so you either got your foot in your mouth or your outright saying John was in fact following a Satanic gospel.
so which is it?

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
Now read that back to yourself, as if one of us had written it.
I would respect a brother or sister if they warned me about an error, your problem is you haven't cited a single error. You just falsely accuse, just as the Father of liars does

J

jaybird88

No thanks, I have seen first hand what happens when a person gets lost in their own self appointed wisdom. For all have gone astray, professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

We have 40,000 Christian sects and cults, all wise guys like these here claiming their view is the only truth in town. What a sick and pathetic situation, having millions of fools fooling each other and being fooled. Paul warned us that this would happen, he knew about the depth of depravity of the reprobate
how many have the spirit of truth lead away?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

More silliness and falsehood. Who has made the claim that "their view is the only truth in town"? Bring forth the evidence.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I would respect a brother or sister if they warned me about an error, your problem is you haven't cited a single error. You just falsely accuse, just as the Father of liars does
Quote even a single false accusation I have made. Just one, and provide the evidence demonstrating that it is false.

Then we'll start counting yours.

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
i have no idea what your talking about.
you said poverty is for losers.
John lived a life of poverty.
so you either got your foot in your mouth or your outright saying John was in fact following a Satanic gospel.
so which is it?
Your blind ignorance is actually painful to behold, and your false accusation only exposes the depth of depravity that you have sunk down to.
Now swallow this >>>>>>>>>>>>WHERE DID I SAY POVERTY IS FOR LOSERS LOSER??????

I SAID THE POVERTY GOSPEL IS FOR LOSERS, YOU PREACH POVERTY AS A VIRTUE I SAY LAZINESS IS A SIN THAT LEAVES ON IMPOVERISHED AND YOU COME HERE TRYING TO GLORIFY SINFUL LIFESTYLE. Man you have lost the plot big time, you have swallowed the Satanic gospel hook, line and sinker

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
More silliness and falsehood. Who has made the claim that "their view is the only truth in town"? Bring forth the evidence.
You do it with every post, but of' course you can't see it

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
Quote even a single false accusation I have made. Just one, and provide the evidence demonstrating that it is false.

Then we'll start counting yours.
I'm not here to play games, go back and read all the sarcastic smug personal insults

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Well if a Christian will give his 10 percent
Leviticus 27 seems to suggest to me that Biblically if a tithe is given using $$$ it should be 12%
see this post: https://christianchat.com/threads/should-a-christian-tithe-what-does-the-bible-say.177934/post-3647857
one fifth of the value was to be added if a tithe was paid with money.

i find this is interesting in that regard:

If a person acts unfaithfully and sins unintentionally against the LORD’S holy things, then he shall bring his guilt offering to the LORD: a ram without defect from the flock, according to your valuation in silver by shekels, in terms of the shekel of the sanctuary, for a guilt offering. He shall make restitution for that which he has sinned against the holy thing, and shall add to it a fifth part of it and give it to the priest. The priest shall then make atonement for him with the ram of the guilt offering, and it will be forgiven him.
(Leviticus 5:15-16)
When a person sins and acts unfaithfully against the LORD, and deceives his companion in regard to a deposit or a security entrusted to him, or through robbery, or if he has extorted from his companion, or has found what was lost and lied about it and sworn falsely, so that he sins in regard to any one of the things a man may do; then it shall be, when he sins and becomes guilty, that he shall restore what he took by robbery or what he got by extortion, or the deposit which was entrusted to him or the lost thing which he found, or anything about which he swore falsely; he shall make restitution for it in full and add to it one-fifth more. He shall give it to the one to whom it belongs on the day he presents his guilt offering.
(Leviticus 6:2-5)

paying a tithe ((which Biblically is livestock and produce)) with money - which can only be done in substitution for such things as fruit, not in substitution for living souls - is connected in the Bible to accidentally damaging a holy thing, such as an offering, and connected to extortion and robbery.

J

jaybird88

Your blind ignorance is actually painful to behold, and your false accusation only exposes the depth of depravity that you have sunk down to.
Now swallow this >>>>>>>>>>>>WHERE DID I SAY POVERTY IS FOR LOSERS LOSER??????
you said it right here:
You're preaching the Satanic gospel of poverty, I'm talking about the Gospel of Jesus Christ
I SAID THE POVERTY GOSPEL IS FOR LOSERS, YOU PREACH POVERTY AS A VIRTUE I SAY LAZINESS IS A SIN THAT LEAVES ON IMPOVERISHED AND YOU COME HERE TRYING TO GLORIFY SINFUL LIFESTYLE. Man you have lost the plot big time, you have swallowed the Satanic gospel hook, line and sinker
lazy and poverty are 2 very different things. i know of a bosses nephew that works no more than 10 hours a week, smokes weed at work, never does anything and he will most likely always be wealthy than i will ever be.he is very very very far from poverty.
poverty is a virtue. you give up everything in this life, of this world, and devote everything to the Lord.
if your up to your ears in money and possessions your never going to devote any time to the Lord. your worldly possessions will eventually consume all your time.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
>>>>>>>>>>>>WHERE DID I SAY POVERTY IS FOR LOSERS LOSER??????

here:

If you don't use the money God has given you to make lots more then your a loser, and He told us what He does with losers.

which, actually you said if you weren't making "lots more" money you are a loser, and implied doom.
so you were kind of saying not just poverty, but middle class too.
'
lots more $$$' really kind implies you're position is that only the materially rich are not losers; only the rich are approved by God.

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
you said it right here:

lazy and poverty are 2 very different things. i know of a bosses nephew that works no more than 10 hours a week, smokes weed at work, never does anything and he will most likely always be wealthy than i will ever be.he is very very very far from poverty.
poverty is a virtue. you give up everything in this life, of this world, and devote everything to the Lord.
if your up to your ears in money and possessions your never going to devote any time to the Lord. your worldly possessions will eventually consume all your time.
Dear Sir, please don't be deceived. God doesn't need hippies who can't even feed themselves to build His Kingdom, He needs laborers for the harvest is great but the laborers are few.
He want's people who have earned some serious money to feed the poor and pay for missionaries, a person living in poverty is useless to God. He can't use them for anything, they just place an even greater burden on His people. They represent more mouths to feed.