Should Jesus love you because you are a sinner 🤔

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
This brings up a question I've given a lot of thought to. But before that, let me say this:

God is not "obligated" or "required" to do ANYTHING, at least not in the way that we understand obligations and requirements. God is not "duty-bound" to do what He does; He does those things because they are in His nature to do. In order to assert that God is obligated, required or duty-bound, one would have to say that there is some authority higher and greater than Him. Which there isn't.

As for my question, I have asked myself, "Would God be perfectly just if He condemned all of mankind, full stop, or is He perfectly just BECAUSE He chose to offer salvation to us?" In any case, we don't "deserve" it.

The Scripture says that God is love.

Also, God could never do anything that is contrary to His nature. He cannot sin, He cannot change, He cannot NOT exist, etc.

We will never FULLY understand God; we were never meant to.

So therefore, my question remains unanswered. And I'm perfectly fine with that.
In general, God is justified in sending everyone to hell. And even under the terms of the old covenant God is justified in condemning everyone to hell. But once God covenanted to send forth the seed of the woman, He was obligated to save enough for the seed to come through. This is made even more clear with the Abrahamic covenant.
The new covenant throws in another wrench. The new covenant is not between God and man, but between God the Father and God the Son. So depending on what Jesus means by all that the Father has given me, there seems to be an obligation between Father and Son to redeem whatever is given.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
God loves us in spite of the fact that we are sinners.
Why does God love you.

Should it be he loves you in spite of your differences, that would be obligation on your part to be loved.

The question is why does God love you.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Why does God love you.

Should it be he loves you in spite of your differences, that would be obligation on your part to be loved.

The question is why does God love you.
Because He chose to pour out His affections upon me. There was definitely nothing in me worthy of His love.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
You can show affection out of love but does that mean you love someone.

Screenshot_20240316-205603.png

😊

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
What the title implies, is why does God love you.

Nothing else, nothing more.
Unfortunately, it does not "imply" that at all. You may have been thinking that, but were not successful in communicating it. ;)

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
Unfortunately, it does not "imply" that at all. You may have been thinking that, but were not successful in communicating it. ;)
Well alrighty then, do you have any ideas why anyone has not mentioned love is a two way bond 😊 Screenshot_20240316-210524.png

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Well alrighty then, do you have any ideas why anyone has not mentioned love is a two way bond 😊
If you think that's pertinent to the discussion, then it's your responsibility to share it. Nobody else can read your mind.

Perhaps you could explain what you mean by "love is a two way bond".

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
If you think that's pertinent to the discussion, then it's your responsibility to share it. Nobody else can read your mind.

Perhaps you could explain what you mean by "love is a two way bond".
Well I asked you why does God love you,

And several others, and nobody has answered because I love him.

read the scripture again, it says love the lord your God with all your heart.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

And several others, and nobody has answered because I love him.

read the scripture again, it says love the lord your God with all your heart.
"Why does God love you" is a question that warrants an answer with and overt or implied "because" in it, giving the causal explanation for the reality at hand.

Scripture does indeed say, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart."

However, it definitely does not say that God loves me because I love Him with all my heart. That would be putting the cart before the horse.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
"Why does God love you" is a question that warrants an answer with and overt or implied "because" in it, giving the causal explanation for the reality at hand.

Scripture does indeed say, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart."

However, it definitely does not say that God loves me because I love Him with all my heart. That would be putting the cart before the horse.
No you him love because he loved you first.

It's should be obvious that when God loved you first and you loved.him back, he carries on to love you.

Or else why else would the same seed that saves one person not save another

1 John 4:19

New International Version

19 We love because he first loved us.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
1 John 4:19
We love Him , because He first loved us \:)/

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
Bible says God loves sinners and wishes none should perish. That is the period to the question.
Can you show me where the bible says God loves the sinner...

Theres plenty of verses that says God hates the sinner. That suggest he falls out of love with them.

I mean so much so that theese many many verses far out weigh any suggestions that he might love the sinner.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
And several others, and nobody has answered because I love him. read the scripture again, it says love the lord your God with all your heart
Hello Thunderrr-mental, God's love for us is just like He is, from everlasting .. e.g. Jeremiah 31:3. What that means is that there was never a time in eternity past (LONG before we existed, IOW) when He did not already love us. This also means that He ~chose~ to love all of us who are or who will be His adopted children LONG before we did anything, good or bad, long before we would have had an opportunity to love Him back.

Therefore, His love for us isn't based on anything that we choose to do or fail to do, rather, it's based on who we are to Him (like a parent's love is for their newborn baby). God chooses to love us as human "beings", not as human "doings".

This also means that He doesn't stop loving us when we make sinful choices, or love us more because we make righteous choices, because again, His love for us isn't based on what we do, but on who we are :)

God bless you!!

~Deuteronomy (David)

Sunset over a field of red flowers with Elisabeth Ellliot.jpg

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
Hello Thunderrr-mental, God's love for us is just like He is, from everlasting .. e.g. Jeremiah 31:3. What that means is that there was never a time in eternity past (LONG before we existed, IOW) when He did not already love us. This also means that He ~chose~ to love all of us who are or who will be His adopted children LONG before we did anything, good or bad, long before we would have had an opportunity to love Him back.

Therefore, His love for us isn't based on anything that we choose to do or fail to do, rather, it's based on who we are to Him (like a parent's love is for their newborn baby). God chooses to love us as human "beings", not as human "doings".

This also means that He doesn't stop loving us when we make sinful choices, or love us more because we make righteous choices, because again, His love for us isn't based on what we do, but on who we are :)

God bless you!!

~Deuteronomy (David)

I'm Ok with your explanation in part. 😊

But before the work of grace, the heart is stoney, and even the stoney man is still duty bound to obey God.

A stony heart is stubborn, but God says he will take away the stoney heart,

He does not say he will try to take it away.

Or give us some power, so that we can take it away ourselves,

No he says he will take it away. And nothing will stop him.

So how is man's will free brother.

He then promises to give us a new heart and a new spirit.

Scripture then says he does this in order that we will fear him and walk in his ways.

He even then writes his laws on our hearts.

This simply means he will put in us the power to walk in obedience to him.

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
Can you show me where the bible says God loves the sinner...

Obviously you've never heard the testimony of a sinner come home. You've never seen a drug addict broken loose, a marriage healed, a lost child come home. Because if you had I wouldn't have to suss out every Bible Scripture that proves God loves the sinner.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
Obviously you've never heard the testimony of a sinner come home. You've never seen a drug addict broken loose, a marriage healed, a lost child come home. Because if you had I wouldn't have to suss out every Bible Scripture that proves God loves the sinner.
Above I posted scripture about even the stoney heart is duty bound to obey God.

A drug addict could decide to obey God.

A lost child could decide to obey God.

But his heart is still stoney.

It remains stoney until God takes it away.

Is he able to love all people with his power he puts in people to walk in obedience to him.

What I'm asking and saying, is part of removing a stubborn heart is that a person loves him, by walking in obedience to him.

Because what I'm saying is the same seed he puts in two separate drug addicts, one gets there stoney heart removed one doesn't.

But yet His word says nothing will stop him from taking away a stoney heart.

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
Firstly let's look at scripture after the fall.

3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. 4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5 he[b] predestined us for adoption to sonship[c] through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will

There seems to be alot of people here using the above scripture, saying God knew Adam and eve would sin before they did In the garden of eden, which was a heavenly Garden where Adam and Eve walked with God.

A place where you could live in the presence of God and be trusted,

A place where you was walking in innocence, without shame of who you where, and without shame of who your father was.

lets look at the scripture again.

3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. 4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5 he[b] predestined us for adoption to sonship[c] through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will

The first sentence reads he chose us to be holy and blameless.

so does that mean he chose us to sin in the garden of eden.

does it mean he created us knowing we would sin.

it looks like it's saying he created us to be holy and blameless, and none of the above.

Then we see the word before ? 🤔

Cannot before also mean to be brought before Creation, or to be brought before God.

so we see the words he chose us before the Creation of the world

well is God not creation and everything in his creation

look where his creation also speaks

for God said let us make man in our image

who was the us 🤔

well would not the us be all of creation at that time when he spoke this verse, let us make man in our image.

should we lose the word us in favour of doctrine

I Mean surly if God is asking a group to participate in the creation of man, that is what it means.

so the most important part of the question here is.

Did God choose us before the creation of the world to be adopted by his son because he knew we would sin.

or did he choose his son to adopt us out of love because he loves us.

So this seems to be lost amongst many , that somehow God chose his son to love us because he knew we would sin.

hmmm I mean isn't this just a bit of a dilemma.

surely when Adam and eve where created, before they sinned Jesus would of loved them anyway.

But then I suppose we also should look at knowing whether God knew Adam and eve would sin at first in the Garden of eden.

Well it seems pretty strange that God would command Adam and eve not to eat of the tree of knowledge, if God already knew they where going to anyway.

then we come to Genesis 3 which suggests in a total of God suggestion, on 5 different occasions that God before the fall of man, did not know Man was going to sin before they did.

but Besides this Should Jesus love us because we are sinners.

Or should Jesus love you because he can 🤔
I'm confused. God knows the beginning and the end so of course he knew we would sin. Didn't he set that up?....I mean a tree of knowledge? That would be like giving your kid a giant red button and telling them don't push it.

My theory is it was done on purpose for multiple reasons but mainly he wanted the prodigal son to still be with him. So he made mankind, little gods who look like him! So we would be more attached to him bc he is life. I think he wanted to experience life in us. Eternity is a long time.... I think he enjoys being with us and experiencing life with us. Like watching your baby walk for the first time.... so many firsts. Of course he could have had that in the garden of eden, but.... the new earth will be like the garden of eden. Everything will be turned around to the way it was suppose to be.

Okay so he knew everything was going to happen but allowed it. In my opinion the demons and the devil were basically used by God. I mean it sounds mean but he created them too. The tree of knowledge caused death bc God didn't want sin to last forever. He also allowed us to sin in time, a loophole in the law so he could pull us out of the crime essentially. The devil and demons sinned in eternity.... so they can't be saved. The wicked people on earth are just as useless as the demons but they are also used to help us or make us grow. They are the weeds.... if not for us they would be gone. But wheat grows with the weeds, maybe even in the same family. While we don't know the weeds we can tell by their fruit.

Now the law part. God is love and justice. So people love to remove that justice part. Jesus was essentially a loophole in the death law. A perfect lamb was needed to unite people and God. So now the devil is ticked bc he realizes God tricked him this whole time.

"Should" Jesus love us? No. But he does so why argue with it? Jesus was tested by God, the way we are only he passed. Jesus understood only he could do the task and trusted the father to make things right. Which he did. The suffering lasted on the cross and the torture, but then he rose and was in paradise. Again I say Jesus was blessed before the cross and was a rich man. It says he was a rich man. God paid his child support when the 3 kings showed to Jesus. The father always took care of Jesus, even on earth and that's why he loved him so much. The only time he didn't bless him was on the cross, and that's why Jesus says "why have you forsaken me?" Bc God is a God of blessing and the cross seemed like the opposite. But it was a loophole.

So there you have it. You may not agree with it but it makes way more sense than what I was taught growing up.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
I'm confused. God knows the beginning and the end so of course he knew we would sin. Didn't he set that up?....I mean a tree of knowledge? That would be like giving your kid a giant red button and telling them don't push it.

My theory is it was done on purpose for multiple reasons but mainly he wanted the prodigal son to still be with him. So he made mankind, little gods who look like him! So we would be more attached to him bc he is life. I think he wanted to experience life in us. Eternity is a long time.... I think he enjoys being with us and experiencing life with us. Like watching your baby walk for the first time.... so many firsts. Of course he could have had that in the garden of eden, but.... the new earth will be like the garden of eden. Everything will be turned around to the way it was suppose to be.

Okay so he knew everything was going to happen but allowed it. In my opinion the demons and the devil were basically used by God. I mean it sounds mean but he created them too. The tree of knowledge caused death bc God didn't want sin to last forever. He also allowed us to sin in time, a loophole in the law so he could pull us out of the crime essentially. The devil and demons sinned in eternity.... so they can't be saved. The wicked people on earth are just as useless as the demons but they are also used to help us or make us grow. They are the weeds.... if not for us they would be gone. But wheat grows with the weeds, maybe even in the same family. While we don't know the weeds we can tell by their fruit.

Now the law part. God is love and justice. So people love to remove that justice part. Jesus was essentially a loophole in the death law. A perfect lamb was needed to unite people and God. So now the devil is ticked bc he realizes God tricked him this whole time.

"Should" Jesus love us? No. But he does so why argue with it? Jesus was tested by God, the way we are only he passed. Jesus understood only he could do the task and trusted the father to make things right. Which he did. The suffering lasted on the cross and the torture, but then he rose and was in paradise. Again I say Jesus was blessed before the cross and was a rich man. It says he was a rich man. God paid his child support when the 3 kings showed to Jesus. The father always took care of Jesus, even on earth and that's why he loved him so much. The only time he didn't bless him was on the cross, and that's why Jesus says "why have you forsaken me?" Bc God is a God of blessing and the cross seemed like the opposite. But it was a loophole.

So there you have it. You may not agree with it but it makes way more sense than what I was taught growing up.
It not that I want to disagree with you directly, its what scripture says that has me wondering so much about certain doctrines, that has been labelled to a certain denomination.

I find labels so stupid, its like someone
could put a Nike sports label on a dollar t- shirt and some mug would buy it for 30 dollars.

The lord God says in his word, I the lord God tempt nobody.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
I'm Ok with your explanation in part. 😊
Just "in part" :unsure: Say it ain't so :cry:

But before the work of grace, the heart is stoney, and even the stoney man is still duty bound to obey God. A stony heart is stubborn, but God says he will take away the stoney heart, He does not say he will try to take it away. Or give us some power, so that we can take it away ourselves, No he says he will take it away. And nothing will stop him ... So how is man's will free brother :unsure:
Although that question literally SCREAMS OUT for a thread of its own (as it will probably derail the purpose of this thread if it continues), I believe that a man's will is free as long as he is able to choose whatever he wants most at a given moment in time. So, when a man with a fallen/sinful/stony heart chooses to reject the Lord, he does so both freely, and in accordance with his (stony-heart) nature and desires, which is proof that his will is free, in point of fact. It's only when a man chooses to do something that is at odds with his nature, and (especially) at odds with what he desires most in the moment, that his will cannot be considered to be "free".

That is all that I will say here about that topic.

As to the topic at hand, nothing about our nature (whether we are a person who still has a heart of stone and is, therefore, an unbeliever, or whether we are a person who has been given a new heart of flesh, who is born again and who has already come to saving faith in Christ as a result) has anything to do with God's choice to love us, or not, because His love for us is not determined by something that He sees in us, or by something that we've done/said/thought, whether good or bad.

As I said previously, the basis for His choice to love us is found in who we are to Him, alone.

God bless you!!

~Deuteronomy