Should the rich support the poor?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

jenniferand2

Mar 19, 2016
Canada does not have free medical. We pay a monthly fee whether we need medical care or not. That is not free! The cost to me currently is seventy five dollars a month. Not long ago it was less than half that. And now we have a two tiered system, much to the chagrin of many.

I am sorry I was told it was free.... Does your 75.00 cover everything? or do you have co payments etc... My sister an dher husband pay i think over 1000.00 bucks for a crappy insurance that does not like to cover crap and they have tons of out of pocket expenses...

jenniferand2

Mar 19, 2016
You can't milk a system, if there is no system to milk!

You're kind of missing the point here. Who says a system is needed?

Actually, if you read the Law, God had a great system. Do you know what should happen to the disabled, widow or orphan? Family takes them in and they had to help out. They were called "slaves." An evil word today, but back then when John and I first became disabled either Dad or one of my siblings were supposed to take us in. And, where as we cannot do a 40 hours work week, we can help with the housework and meals. I'd rather be a slave to family then worthless and a money pit to the government.

Back in the days when Israel was observing the real law, we would have come up with ways to add income to the family. I'm good at crocheting and gardening. I'm also pretty good at baking. I could sell what I made, give 90% to the family pot and keep 10% for myself.

Seven years later, we had the choice of whether we could afford to go back on our own again, (with that 10% saved in those seven years), or to stay on.

As for milking the system? May I safely assume you have family? If so, are they stupid enough to let you milk them for seven whole years? We might be able to pull the wool over their eyes once or twice, but it is usually safe to assume family catches us first. lol

Seems to me, if Christians work this out to going back to the Bible the only thing that should shock them beyond measure is to realize they owe family enough to bring them in and take care of them when the chips are down. And, in reverse the ones being brought in and cared for owe taking care of the family that gave them a home.

I know my family. Two out of six could afford to take us in. Unfortunately, I know my family. None of them are Christians, so we living with them would be just as tough as them living with us. On the other hand, it beats living off of the US government! (And, dagnabit! We paid into that program for 50 years, so we're not simply taking without first giving. The government that now takes care of us has managed to take most of the money we did have, because of their rules.)
depleted I was going to give you rep but it wont let me :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I am sorry I was told it was free.... Does your 75.00 cover everything? or do you have co payments etc... My sister an dher husband pay i think over 1000.00 bucks for a crappy insurance that does not like to cover crap and they have tons of out of pocket expenses...
I know, I see people saying it is free and every single time I have to wonder WHY they say that, especially when it is Canadians and former Canadians saying it :p The fee does cover most things, essential things, but not medication, and nothing elective like cosmetic surgery, though it will cover gender transition or reassignment surgery. So for instance, if I had cancer and needed chemo and radiation, or MRIs were scheduled by my doctor for whatever reason, that would be covered. If someone was in an auto accident and terribly banged up, or needed a prolonged hospital stay for any reason, that would be covered. I also have extended medical through work, and that covers 80% of prescription costs, 80% of most dental work and 50% of other dental work, plus 80% of physio or massage or chiropractor costs up to a certain amount per year per service.

Feb 7, 2015
You can't milk a system, if there is no system to milk!

You're kind of missing the point here. Who says a system is needed?

Actually, if you read the Law, God had a great system. Do you know what should happen to the disabled, widow or orphan? Family takes them in and they had to help out. They were called "slaves." An evil word today, but back then when John and I first became disabled either Dad or one of my siblings were supposed to take us in. And, where as we cannot do a 40 hours work week, we can help with the housework and meals. I'd rather be a slave to family then worthless and a money pit to the government.

Back in the days when Israel was observing the real law, we would have come up with ways to add income to the family. I'm good at crocheting and gardening. I'm also pretty good at baking. I could sell what I made, give 90% to the family pot and keep 10% for myself.

Seven years later, we had the choice of whether we could afford to go back on our own again, (with that 10% saved in those seven years), or to stay on.

As for milking the system? May I safely assume you have family? If so, are they stupid enough to let you milk them for seven whole years? We might be able to pull the wool over their eyes once or twice, but it is usually safe to assume family catches us first. lol

Seems to me, if Christians work this out to going back to the Bible the only thing that should shock them beyond measure is to realize they owe family enough to bring them in and take care of them when the chips are down. And, in reverse the ones being brought in and cared for owe taking care of the family that gave them a home.

I know my family. Two out of six could afford to take us in. Unfortunately, I know my family. None of them are Christians, so we living with them would be just as tough as them living with us. On the other hand, it beats living off of the US government! (And, dagnabit! We paid into that program for 50 years, so we're not simply taking without first giving. The government that now takes care of us has managed to take most of the money we did have, because of their rules.)
I will never speak against that. My beef is with young, healthy people who paid hardly a thing into the "system", and decided that their "alphabet diagnosis" gives them a right to drain from the taxpayers of this country.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
It also gives access to a family doctor (if and when you can find one, for they often say they are not accepting new patients, and if I want to see my GP, I have to wait a month for an appointment, and I like her, so I wait, otherwise, I could see one of the colleagues she has working in her office, which I will do if it is a bit of an emergency situation or something needing immediate attention, but then I might get stuck with a male doctor LOL and honestly I much prefer to see women doctors :D). It also gives access to walk in clinics, and hospital emergency etc, where wait times are so long you could die waiting for someone to see you :( Last year at this time I had a pre-shingles rash moving over my body and four different doctors failed to properly diagnose me, and even when the first shingle appeared and a good deal of my body around my right hip was numb from nerve damage, the doctor failed to diagnose it, and said one of the stupidest things ever to come out of a doctor's mouth. So we have subsidized care but you take your chances, which is why the two tiered system finally prevailed.

jenniferand2

Mar 19, 2016
so what I orginally posted was that not quite what you expected? would that be wrong of me to do that?
your picture post does surely show someone who is very much poor and suffering.. I feel for these people they never have enough food. they are how ever not a bunch of entitled cry babies they are legit suffering..... we have here in America a lot of entitled cry babies. If entitled cry babies here in America had live like that then maybe they would really know what struggling is... I am and have lived both ways dirt poor and on the system and middle class where i busted my butt to make ends meet.. So I can say that watching people who use the system are horrible and people who need the system for real are struggling to buy healthy food and pay the light bill etc...

Sep 6, 2017
I will never speak against that. My beef is with young, healthy people who paid hardly a thing into the "system", and decided that their "alphabet diagnosis" gives them a right to drain from the taxpayers of this country.
the parable of the workers in the field, I don't think that's much different than what your saying would it or would it not?

Corbinscam

Jul 17, 2016
But....socialized healthcare is amazing and we all need it..

And

In your situation I'm totally ok with financial aid. I would never complain about HELPING people who've worked hard for years or those who are disabled and can't work. Really disabled...not just looking for an excuse. In reality the system was started to keep people off the streets and from starving to death....it does that. And clearly in some cases it's needed. But there are more examples than I can recount of people abusing it. Even if they aren't carrying designer purses and talking on the newest iPhone....

Corbinscam

Jul 17, 2016
the parable of the workers in the field, I don't think that's much different than what your saying would it or would it not?
they all got up and went to work......and the point of the parable wasn't to put crap off till the end of the day and expect the same pay. I don't see a modern day non spiritual application there..

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
they all got up and went to work......and the point of the parable wasn't to put crap off till the end of the day and expect the same pay. I don't see a modern day non spiritual application there..
True, the parable has nothing to do with worldly things, but is about accepting the call to repent and believe the gospel, letting us know that all receive eternal life regardless of how long we labored in the field carrying the message of the cross to the lost :)

Sep 6, 2017
your picture post does surely show someone who is very much poor and suffering.. I feel for these people they never have enough food. they are how ever not a bunch of entitled cry babies they are legit suffering..... we have here in America a lot of entitled cry babies. If entitled cry babies here in America had live like that then maybe they would really know what struggling is... I am and have lived both ways dirt poor and on the system and middle class where i busted my butt to make ends meet.. So I can say that watching people who use the system are horrible and people who need the system for real are struggling to buy healthy food and pay the light bill etc...
Yes sister and I agree, though I try not to think of the things, for there are lot worse things in this world that are horrible beyond belief,

when it's all said and done and we are drawing our last breath on earth, what will be on people's minds I wonder,

for me my hopes is that it's not about these things we think are of injustice, but have I done what all God wanted me to do that was of justice to others.

D

Depleted

You shouldn't be so sensitive, Lynn.... this was a true story, not some "fish tale" .... I have no need to exaggerate the incident, it was related as accurately as possible.

When you see it happen time and again, and hear others repeat the same experiences, it cannot be a fabrication. If you think that the welfare system isn't overwhelmed with fraud and deceit, you are living in dreamland. The federal government even admits to millions of dollars of fraud, if not billions, in Medicare/Medicaid. If THEY admit it, then it is likely much worse than we all realize.

I have nothing against people that are truly in need getting whatever help they need... they very likely don't get enough. Our vets are prime examples of that.

I suppose if I videotaped such an incident, you might believe it? It happens frequently, even in my relatively small circle of influence.

I firmly believe that we should help those that truly NEED It. It's the misuse of all those funds that frustrates most sensible people.
No, sorry. But it seems you firmly believe the government should help "those that truly NEED It." Which annoys me because it shouldn't, but who would if they don't?

I firmly believe sensible people shouldn't be relying on the government to help "those that truly NEED It." Not enough sensible people, so I rely on the government instead.

And just like some abuse what is in place, some are kind enough to show me there are sensible people. Beyond sensible! Recently, PennEd and friends helped us greatly. We stopped looking like the embarrassing home on the block.

I still talk to God about our front windows, but the conversation has changed. It used to be "please don't let those windows fall out." Now it's, "thank you, thank you, thank you! We have windows that even open!"

How about we stop assuming it is sensible for the government to help?

Start there, and maybe they'll come a day when we won't load that onto "them."

Sep 6, 2017
As Maganta mentioned the spiritual side of the parable and rightly so she did :)

modern day side of it was that some workers worked in the field for 8 hours and others worked the field for only a hour but all recieved the same pay, would that be similar to someone working there whole life paying taxes yet some only a few years paying taxes or how about never working and recieving help to live. Yea I know some abuse the system but atleast we have a system that helps, a lot of country's don't have that type of system.

Corbinscam

Jul 17, 2016
As Maganta mentioned the spiritual side of the parable and rightly so she did :)

modern day side of it was that some workers worked in the field for 8 hours and others worked the field for only a hour but all recieved the same pay, would that be similar to someone working there whole life paying taxes yet some only a few years paying taxes or how about never working and recieving help to live. Yea I know some abuse the system but atleast we have a system that helps, a lot of country's don't have that type of system.
Except that wasn't the point of the parable if you look at the context. The application isn't physical...it's spiritual. Those who come to Christ later in life are rewarded the same as one who comes early in life and "works" their whole life. Between that and the fact that the entire rest of the bible indicates that a man who doesn't work but can is worse than a infidel....I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and assume the application is totally spiritual not in a physical sense of work. Since I'm pretty convinced Jesus wouldn't run around contradicting the bible...

Sep 6, 2017
walking out of a convenient store or what ever, someone will asked me for money most of the time I give them money knowing fully what that person is going to use it for, though I still do it anyways because maybe that person will say to themselves one day I'm tired of alcohol or drugs and seek help for their addiction.

Sep 6, 2017
Except that wasn't the point of the parable if you look at the context. The application isn't physical...it's spiritual. Those who come to Christ later in life are rewarded the same as one who comes early in life and "works" their whole life. Between that and the fact that the entire rest of the bible indicates that a man who doesn't work but can is worse than a infidel....I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and assume the application is totally spiritual not in a physical sense of work. Since I'm pretty convinced Jesus wouldn't run around contradicting the bible...
One of the goals of the scriptures is to apply spiritual meanings to everyday physical life, would you agree?

if you can't find in your life how to apply the parable of the workers in the field then what use is it to you?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
walking out of a convenient store or what ever, someone will asked me for money most of the time I give them money knowing fully what that person is going to use it for, though I still do it anyways because maybe that person will say to themselves one day I'm tired of alcohol or drugs and seek help for their addiction.
Instead of money you can give food... though they may tell you they are vegetarian and refuse the chicken panini sandwich offered, or say they are allergic to such and such... Some dispense with the pretense and simply say they want money for drugs haha. But there are those in dire need of housing and food, and there are resources for them as well, at least here, where we have plenty of soup kitchens operating and even delivery services for those who are housebound. In the winter when it gets too cold for the homeless to sleep in alley ways and door ways and covered spaces such as parking lots, community centers and churches open their doors, but last winter when we had an inordinate amount of snow over a longer than usual period of time, many problems were encountered with the paraphernalia left behind as litter in the spaces that were offered, plus, the people working in community centers are not trained in dealing with drug addicts and the mentally challenged , so that presented a whole new set of problems also...

D

Depleted

I cannot believe how many are complaining on what God has given them... and of all things, because they worked hard for what they have!

[h=1]Ecclesiastes 6:9 Better is the sight of the eyes than the wandering of the appetite: this also is vanity and a striving after wind.[/h]

Sep 6, 2017
Instead of money you can give food... though they may tell you they are vegetarian and refuse the chicken panini sandwich offered, or say they are allergic to such and such... Some dispense with the pretense and simply say they want money for drugs haha. But there are those in dire need of housing and food, and there are resources for them as well, at least here, where we have plenty of soup kitchens operating and even delivery services for those who are housebound. In the winter when it gets too cold for the homeless to sleep in alley ways and door ways and covered spaces such as parking lots, community centers and churches open their doors, but last winter when we had an inordinate amount of snow over a longer than usual period of time, many problems were encountered with the paraphernalia left behind as litter in the spaces that were offered, plus, the people working in community centers are not trained in dealing with drug addicts and the mentally challenged , so that presented a whole new set of problems also...
Yes your are completely correct,

on a sidenote just the other day I've heard of a program a woman setup in some other countries called nightcare similar to daycare.