Some truth about speaking in tongues, the Holy Ghost, spiritual gifts and 1 Corinthians 14

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 12, 2013
Well, that's one way to justify sin. It is difficult for anyone who holds a particular position to "see" Scripture that teaches the opposite to be true. Someone could say exactly the same thing about you.

Did "tongues" take all the oxygen out of the upper room in Acts 2? Um, no. If you're going to claim that you stand on the word of God, don't make ridiculous arguments that have nothing to do with the word of God.

Standing on the word of God never requires you to slander others.
Not justifying anyone here, but was JESUS standing on the truth when he called the Pharisees White washed coffins filled with the bones of dead men, or Blind leaders of the blind, or Hypocrites or.........was John when he called them snakes and vipers.......

Like I said...not justifying anyone in particular....just asking based upon your hard fast rule.....??

E

eternally-gratefull

Well, that's one way to justify sin. It is difficult for anyone who holds a particular position to "see" Scripture that teaches the opposite to be true. Someone could say exactly the same thing about you.

Did "tongues" take all the oxygen out of the upper room in Acts 2? Um, no. If you're going to claim that you stand on the word of God, don't make ridiculous arguments that have nothing to do with the word of God.

I can’t agree

What happened in the upper room in acts 2 looks nothing like what happens in charismatic churches today.

In chapter 2 they spoke to people in their native language, And it was a sign to all the people that a new message was beginning to be spread, and it as truly from God

Unless they have a bunch of people all who have different nationalities and all who have different “native” tongues in these churches. It has nothing in common with Acts 2.

Just saying bro.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Not justifying anyone here, but was JESUS standing on the truth when he called the Pharisees White washed coffins filled with the bones of dead men, or Blind leaders of the blind, or Hypocrites or.........was John when he called them snakes and vipers.......

Like I said...not justifying anyone in particular....just asking based upon your hard fast rule.....??
Fair question. I think there is a qualitative difference between Jesus' criticial words and ours, because He is the truth, and He knew what the Pharisees believed and, at least in some cases, thought. We don't know each other's thoughts, beliefs and motivations, and unless someone consistently displays a lack of intelligence, there is no reason to suggest a lack of intelligence in another person. Disagreement over a matter of biblical interpretation is not, by itself, a sign of lacking intelligence.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I can’t agree

What happened in the upper room in acts 2 looks nothing like what happens in charismatic churches today.

In chapter 2 they spoke to people in their native language, And it was a sign to all the people that a new message was beginning to be spread, and it as truly from God

Unless they have a bunch of people all who have different nationalities and all who have different “native” tongues in these churches. It has nothing in common with Acts 2.

Just saying bro.
While I don't disagree with you, your argument isn't addressing the issue at hand. Roger stated, "Tongues takes all the oxygen out of a room." He didn't say "modern-day tongues...". His is a silly argument and really has no evidentiary weight to it.

Dec 12, 2013
Fair question. I think there is a qualitative difference between Jesus' criticial words and ours, because He is the truth, and He knew what the Pharisees believed and, at least in some cases, thought. We don't know each other's thoughts, beliefs and motivations, and unless someone consistently displays a lack of intelligence, there is no reason to suggest a lack of intelligence in another person. Disagreement over a matter of biblical interpretation is not, by itself, a sign of lacking intelligence.
Not really talking about someone implying a lack of intelligence....more directed at say......if we critique or use sarcasm when addressing someone like a Mormon or JW..........

E

eternally-gratefull

While I don't disagree with you, your argument isn't addressing the issue at hand. Roger stated, "Tongues takes all the oxygen out of a room." He didn't say "modern-day tongues...". His is a silly argument and really has no evidentiary weight to it.
Thats why I hate those type of arguments. They add nothing to the discussion.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Not really talking about someone implying a lack of intelligence....more directed at say......if we critique or use sarcasm when addressing someone like a Mormon or JW..........
I think sarcasm is fair game, because Jesus used it. I also think there are reasonable and respectful limits to the nature of the sarcasm used. It can be an effective tool to shake someone's thinking... probably not as effective as I'd like to think though, especially if the goal is to bring someone to Christ.

notuptome

May 17, 2013

Do you want to argue or do you want to grow in the Lord? If what I have presented is not scriptural then refute it with scripture. To impugn my intent without specific knowledge of what I am thinking could lead to slanderous statements from you.

The poster whom you feel obligated to defend did not respond from a scriptural perspective but from opinion.

You are not in the upper room of Acts 2. You are here in the present.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

7seasrekeyed

How can you slander your sister like this and say it is for the cause of Christ?
I think most of us here have recognized the spirit in which he responds

of course none of those answers are for Christ

he is playing to an audience and damaging himself while illustrating that anyone can call themself a believer while basically not believing anyone but themself

as I said, he would take up cause for the devil...in fact he has said more than once that people who speak in tongues do so by a demonic power

so again, we recognize the spirit behind his words which are not credible and certainly not Christian

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I think sarcasm is fair game, because Jesus used it. I also think there are reasonable and respectful limits to the nature of the sarcasm used. It can be an effective tool to shake someone's thinking... probably not as effective as I'd like to think though, especially if the goal is to bring someone to Christ.
Sarcasm is not an excuse to promote biblical error.

The persons involved already claim to know Christ so we are not in evangelism but in sanctification and admonition.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

7seasrekeyed

100% agree.....no matter how one slices, dices and rejects...the Corinthian church had 15 errors, was CARNAL and spiritually immature......

and yet Paul still said do not forbid speaking in tongues

every day here, people call themselves sinners out of one side of their mouth and saved out of the other

the entire Bible is a record of the sins of humanity and redemption of Christ

Corinthians gives the correct way to conduct yourself regarding the gifts...you and others are only telling half the truth by concentrating on the part of the passage that seems to indicate we should ignore the instruction and gasp, ooooo and aaaah after the sin

lets do the same for all the sinners while we are at and leave the Bible on the shelf cause it is just chock full of bad bad people

like us without Christ

there is no case to be made regarding the Corinthians by refusing to acknowledge the correction and the fact Paul said do not forbid speaking in tongues

he was obviously saying to them 'don't swing the other way now and forbid tongues'

not gonna argue with you. you know full well what the entire book, never mind passage, states

so then you will swing to tongues are not for now

you will have it any way you want but so will everyone else. it's your personal choice

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I think most of us here have recognized the spirit in which he responds

of course none of those answers are for Christ

he is playing to an audience and damaging himself while illustrating that anyone can call themself a believer while basically not believing anyone but themself

as I said, he would take up cause for the devil...in fact he has said more than once that people who speak in tongues do so by a demonic power

so again, we recognize the spirit behind his words which are not credible and certainly not Christian
So now you want to accuse me of not being saved? What is it with this Pentecostal need to be the only ones who can expect to go to be with the Lord?

I have said that tongues may be in the power of the spirit of man. You are driven to accuse that which you will not address from the scriptures.

The spirit problem here is not mine.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Do you want to argue or do you want to grow in the Lord?
Same question to you. Don't be silly.

If what I have presented is not scriptural then refute it with scripture.
I did.

To impugn my intent without specific knowledge of what I am thinking could lead to slanderous statements from you.
No, not unless I make assertions that are non-factual. Intent is irrelevant when you impugn someone's intelligence.

The poster whom you feel obligated to defend did not respond from a scriptural perspective but from opinion.
Irrelevant; this does nothing to justify your comment.

You are not in the upper room of Acts 2. You are here in the present.
Same for you.

Jul 23, 2018
So now you want to accuse me of not being saved? What is it with this Pentecostal need to be the only ones who can expect to go to be with the Lord?

I have said that tongues may be in the power of the spirit of man. You are driven to accuse that which you will not address from the scriptures.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
God is not confined to your mind.
He is outta all our minds.
Taking the power off the table would be step one in misunderstanding/misinterpreting the bible.

7seasrekeyed

For the cause of Christ
Roger

saved people should be able to control what they say to others even in disagreement

you are a loose cannon, shooting insults and just plain nastiness in this forum

I don't know if you are saved Roger. I don't keep that record. and you have most certainly said if a person speaks in tongues they do so by a demon, so lie and state otherwise but I am not the only one who knows what you really think or have said

you most definitely are not speaking from the Holy Spirit but you know, there might be hope because even Peter did that. I did not accuse you of not being saved. you would like me to have said that so you could report me.

people disagree here all the time but most manage to avoid the type of rhetoric that you use. you insult others with impunity, so you think and then act all holier than thou when they call you on it

distasteful and absolutely nasty is how you post on the subject of tongues. why don't you just butt out of the thread if you cannot disagree without insulting people

you even post that way to people when they are not even talking to you. you go out of your way to do that

Jul 23, 2018

One must learn the diff between a loose canon (i swear i did not know 7 used that same term)and speaking as an oricle of God.
IOW , If God is exposing and rebuking in revelatory truth,feelings are irrelevant. It WILL HURT,but a righteous hurt.

Any other hurt handed out by man...well it ain't gonna go well for the one dishin it out.That is the difference.

Speak as heaven speaks. That is how Peter got called satan.(in all righteousness he was slammed)

Best to be lead of the Lord.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
saved people should be able to control what they say to others even in disagreement

you are a loose cannon, shooting insults and just plain nastiness in this forum

I don't know if you are saved Roger. I don't keep that record. and you have most certainly said if a person speaks in tongues they do so by a demon, so lie and state otherwise but I am not the only one who knows what you really think or have said

you most definitely are not speaking from the Holy Spirit but you know, there might be hope because even Peter did that. I did not accuse you of not being saved. you would like me to have said that so you could report me.

people disagree here all the time but most manage to avoid the type of rhetoric that you use. you insult others with impunity, so you think and then act all holier than thou when they call you on it

distasteful and absolutely nasty is how you post on the subject of tongues. why don't you just butt out of the thread if you cannot disagree without insulting people

you even post that way to people when they are not even talking to you. you go out of your way to do that
Let's be straight about the spirit behind todays tongues. There is no scriptural support for praying in tongues. How can one expect the Holy Spirit to be involved if it is not scriptural? The problem and it was a problem in Corinth was with tongues that were not according to the scriptural examples of Acts.

You may wish to take the leap to demonic activity involved here but I have come to believe that it is simply the spirit of man that is at the root of the matter. Babel is a prime example of what man can accomplish in the strength of his own will.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Dec 12, 2013

every day here, people call themselves sinners out of one side of their mouth and saved out of the other

Corinthians gives the correct way to conduct yourself regarding the gifts...you and others are only telling half the truth by concentrating on the part of the passage that seems to indicate we should ignore the instruction and gasp, ooooo and aaaah after the sin

lets do the same for all the sinners while we are at and leave the Bible on the shelf cause it is just chock full of bad bad people

like us without Christ

there is no case to be made regarding the Corinthians by refusing to acknowledge the correction and the fact Paul said do not forbid speaking in tongues

he was obviously saying to them 'don't swing the other way now and forbid tongues'

not gonna argue with you. you know full well what the entire book, never mind passage, states

you will have it any way you want but so will everyone else. it's your personal choice
Listen carefully......I never said anything about tongues in my last 6 or 7 posts in this thread.....I stated a statement of FACT and not only have two people red x'ed the truth of my post, NOW you are going on about something I did not even address...no wonder no one takes you guys serious.....I can simply state...the Corinthian church had some 15 errors, was carnal, was immature (all factual) and what do I get....red x's of disagreement, and the above from YOU......

WHAT none of YOU will acknowledge is the SIMPLE TRUTH that the three truths I just LISTED MUST be taken into account WHEN VIEWING the ISSUE they had with TONGUES and the GIFTS in general.....the above I have addressed = a sever lack of HONESTY

E

eternally-gratefull

Listen carefully......I never said anything about tongues in my last 6 or 7 posts in this thread.....I stated a statement of FACT and not only have two people red x'ed the truth of my post, NOW you are going on about something I did not even address...no wonder no one takes you guys serious.....I can simply state...the Corinthian church had some 15 errors, was carnal, was immature (all factual) and what do I get....red x's of disagreement, and the above from YOU......

WHAT none of YOU will acknowledge is the SIMPLE TRUTH that the three truths I just LISTED MUST be taken into account WHEN VIEWING the ISSUE they had with TONGUES and the GIFTS in general.....the above I have addressed = a sever lack of HONESTY
Is she slinging insults and half or non truths about you again Bro?

Dec 12, 2013
Is she slinging insults and half or non truths about you again Bro?
This is what she quoted and what I said...

dcontroversal said:
100% agree.....no matter how one slices, dices and rejects...the Corinthian church had 15 errors, was CARNAL and spiritually immature......

And this is what I got in return...

like us without Christ