Some who are standing here will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
I'm posting this for the benefit of those who really want to know the truth about this scripture, which is continually being misinterpreted.

The Preterists/Amillennialis would have the rest of us believe that by Jesus saying "some who are standing here will not taste of death before they see the kingdom of God," that He is saying that some who were standing would still be alive when Jesus returned to end the age, using it as a proof that He had to have already returned.

The error in their interpretation, (besides being stubborn and not willing to listen to the truth), is two fold.

1). The identity of "some who are standing here."

2). The kingdom of God (Number 2 is stated three different ways, which I am listing below

Matt.16:28 - Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.
Mark 9:1 - Truly I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God arrive with power.
Luke 9:27 - But I tell you truthfully, some who are standing here will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God.”

As previously stated, the preterists/amills interpret that which is highlighted in red above to mean that Jesus was talking about when He returns to the earth to end the age. So, let's look at another scripture which uses the same wording:

"But if I drive out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. (Matt.12:8)

Jesus said the above when the Pharisees had said that He was casting out demons by the prince of demons. Notice that the phrase "the kingdom of God has come upon you" was referring to Jesus casting out the demon by the power of Holy Spirit and was not referring to His return to end of the age. The meaning is the same in Matthew, Mark and Luke.

Now, let's look at the scripture. I am listing Luke because it is the most fluent:

================================================================================

27But I tell you truthfully, some who are standing here will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God.”

28About eight days after Jesus had said these things, He took with Him Peter, John, and James, and went up on a mountain to pray. 29And as He was praying, the appearance of His face changed, and His clothes became radiantly white. 30Suddenly two men, Moses and Elijah, began talking with Jesus. 31They appeared in glory and spoke about His departure, which He was about to accomplish at Jerusalem.

================================================================================

So, v.27 says "I tell you truthfully, some who are standing here will not taste of death until they see the kingdom of God."

Then in the beginning of v.28 it says, "about eight days after Jesus said these things" which links what Jesus said in V.27 with the following information found in V.28-31, which is also the fulfillment of what He said in v.27.

"He took with them Peter, John, and James and went upon a high mountain to pray." Peter, John and James is the identity of those Jesus was referring to when He said, "some who are standing here will not taste of death."

Then in v.29 it states that while Jesus was praying, the appearance of His face changed (brighter than the sun) and His clothes became radiantly white. This change in His appearance then is the fulfillment of some standing there (Peter, John and James) seeing the kingdom of God, i.e. seeing Jesus in His glorified state.

Therefore, the words, "seeing the kingdom of God" or "seeing the Son of Man coming in His kingdom" has nothing to do with Jesus returning at the end of the age before those standing there had died. What it does have to do with, is Peter, John and James seeing Jesus in His glorified state, which is referring to the kingdom of God coming with power.

So, you have Jesus giving the prophecy in V.27 and about a week later we have fulfillment of said prophecy in V.28-31

It just takes an open mind and a desire to know the truth of God's word, opposed to just adopting the teachings of men and then fighting tooth and nail to protect said false teaching.

The end of the age, i.e. when Jesus returns to the earth and sends out of His angels (Matt.24:30-31, Rev.1:7, 19:11-21) is still to come, but can only take place until after the church has been removed and God's wrath has been poured out via the seals, trumpets and bowl judgments.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I'm posting this for the benefit of those who really want to know the truth about this scripture, which is continually being misinterpreted.

The Preterists/Amillennialis would have the rest of us believe that by Jesus saying "some who are standing here will not taste of death before they see the kingdom of God," that He is saying that some who were standing would still be alive when Jesus returned to end the age, using it as a proof that He had to have already returned.

The error in their interpretation, (besides being stubborn and not willing to listen to the truth), is two fold...
Generally, I respect you, so I'm telling you this out of respect: the comment in bold was divisive, insulting, and completely unnecessary.

I get that you disagree with the preterist view. You don't need to demean, for any reason, everyone who holds it. It's enough to disagree and present the evidence as to why you disagree.

I don't hold it either, but I'm open to listening and learning on most subjects. When a person starts using ad hominem attacks against others who hold different positions, I'm much less inclined to listen to that person's position.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Generally, I respect you, so I'm telling you this out of respect: the comment in bold was divisive, insulting, and completely unnecessary.

I get that you disagree with the preterist view. You don't need to demean, for any reason, everyone who holds it. It's enough to disagree and present the evidence as to why you disagree.

I don't hold it either, but I'm open to listening and learning on most subjects. When a person starts using ad hominem attacks against others who hold different positions, I'm much less inclined to listen to that person's position.
Well, thank you! But, it was/is warranted and that because it is an on-going blatant distortion of truth.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Notice that the phrase "the kingdom of God has come upon you" was referring to Jesus casting out the demon by the power of Holy Spirit and was not referring to His return to end of the age.
This is certainly a valid interpretation. But there are also two other aspects of the Kingdom of God which could be included:

1. The glorious transfiguration of Christ as a preview of His appearance in the Kingdom of God: And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and his raiment was white and glistering... and when they were awake, they saw his glory... When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

2. The establishment of the Church on the day of Pentecost: Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls... And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved... And when they had appointed him [Paul] there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening...

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015

The whole purpose of creating this thread was to show the truth regarding this scripture, because they continue to use it to support Preterism/amillennialism. I wasn't posting it to win a prize, but to contend for the faith. There is no room for the teaching that Jesus has already returned to the earth.

Do you realize that preterism, which teaches that all end-time events have already taken place, that scripture states that those who believe this have wandered away from the truth.

"Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. Their teaching will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, who have departed from the truth. They say that the resurrection has already taken place, and they destroy the faith of some. "

As I stated earlier, Preterists believe that most if not all end-time events have already taken place, which includes the belief that the resurrection has taken place. Look at what Paul says about this:

* By their teaching they would become more and more ungodly
* Their teaching would spread like gangrene
* They have departed from the truth
* Destroys the faith of some

No sir! There is no place for this. It's not debatable. This was a teaching to expose their lie. Those who have ears to hear, let them hear.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Fake news.
If some saw the kingdom come before dying, some must have died before seeing the kingdom come with glory.
So what's the identity of those that died before seeing the kingdom come?

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
This is certainly a valid interpretation. But there are also two other aspects of the Kingdom of God which could be included:

1. The glorious transfiguration of Christ as a preview of His appearance in the Kingdom of God: And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and his raiment was white and glistering... and when they were awake, they saw his glory... When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

2. The establishment of the Church on the day of Pentecost: Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls... And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved... And when they had appointed him [Paul] there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening...
So, what's the identity of those that tasted death before seeing the son of man come with glory during the transfiguration?

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Interpretation of scripture IS debatable - it has been since it was penned.

And specifically the portions regarding "some here will not taste of death" and the "companion" verses that Christ spoke to the Sanhedrin:

Mat 26:59 Now the chief priests, and elders, and all the council, sought false witness against Jesus, to put him to death;

Mat 26:63 But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.

Mat 26:64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

How can the council "see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven" if some of them would not be alive to see Him?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
So, what's the identity of those that tasted death before seeing the son of man come with glory during the transfiguration?
I'm not sure what you mean, but Christ was primarily referring to His apostles who would die only after they had (1) previewed His glory at the transfiguration and (2) personally witnessed the coming of the Kingdom on the day of Pentecost and subsequently.

"The Kingdom of God is within you" is a reference to the New Birth, without which no one can see or enter the Kingdom of God (John 3:3-5). So each time a soul was saved and regenerated, the apostles saw the reality of the spiritual Kingdom of God. And they saw thousands of souls saved and entering into the Kingdom of God.

But that does NOT preclude the Second Coming of Christ to literally establish His physical and visible Kingdom of God on earth. This is where Preterists and Amillennialists go off the rails. They spiritualize the prophecies regarding the future Millennial Kingdom, and claim that the Second Coming has already occurred. Well if that had happened in 70 AD, we would now be in the New Heavens and the New Earth. And you know as well as I do that that is PURE FANTASY.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Mark 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

Mark 9:2 And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them.

So how many standing there listening to Jesus died in six days and what would be the significance of that?

There is more to this exchange in 9:1 than Jesus' transfiguration six days later.

Apr 15, 2017
Mar 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

Act 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Luk 17:20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
Luk 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

The kingdom of God comes without observation, and when a person receives the Spirit then the kingdom of God is within them, as they display the kingdom of God's ways on earth.

Act 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
Act 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
Act 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Act 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
Act 2:18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy.

Act 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Some did not die physically, but lived until the day of Pentecost when the Spirit was poured out upon the 120 people, and upon all flesh, for they now could receive the Spirit, and the Lord added to the Church such as should be saved.

The kingdom of God came on the day of Pentecost for the kingdom of God comes without observation.

But Jesus will come in the future to rule for 1000 years.

The kingdom of God is on earth by the saints having the Spirit, and representing God's ways on earth.

The kingdom of God will be on earth when Jesus reigns for 1000 years over the heathen that God spared at the battle of Armageddon.

The kingdom of God is the New Jerusalem, the final destination of the saints.

Jesus did not end the age back in the first century, but the kingdom of God came at the day of Pentecost with the outpouring of the Spirit, for the kingdom of God is within you.

Act 1:6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
Act 1:7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

Eze 39:21 And I will set my glory among the heathen, and all the heathen shall see my judgment that I have executed, and my hand that I have laid upon them.

Isa 11:1 And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:
Isa 11:2 And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD.
Isa 11:6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
Isa 11:7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
Isa 11:8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.
Isa 11:9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.

Zec 14:9 And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.
Zec 14:16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

But Jesus is coming in the future to fight the world, and put them down, and rule over the heathen that God spared at the battle of Armageddon.

Jesus did not end the age back in the first century, but the kingdom of God came on the day of Pentecost when they received the Spirit, for the kingdom of God comes without observation, for behold the kingdom of God is within you, and some did not die until after the day of Pentecost happened when the 120 received the Spirit, and then more people after that.

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Isa 65:17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
2Pe 3:11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
2Pe 3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
2Pe 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Jesus has not fulfilled the role of perfect King on earth yet, and it must be done on earth for the law to be fulfilled, but He came as a humble servant, but in the millennial reign He will fulfill the role of perfect King, fulfill the law, and after the 1000 years reign then heaven and earth shall pass away, and there will be a new heaven, and new earth, the New Jersualem.

When Jesus said some are standing there which shall not taste of death until they see the kingdom of God come, He was not speaking of His return to end the age, but the day of Pentecost when the Spirit was poured out upon all flesh, for they could receive the Spirit now, and were added to the Church.

For the kingdom of God comes without observation, for they will not say here it is, or there it is, but the kingdom of God is within you.

But the kingdom of God will come in the future when Jesus rules for 1000 years on earth.

Which at that day there will be one LORD, and His name one, which the heathen shall only acknowledge Jesus and nobody else, and the heathen have to go to Jerusalem year after year to worship the LORD, and to keep the feast of tabernacles, a physical ordinance, to be right with God for they cannot be spiritual.

K

KnowMe

Mark 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

Mark 9:2 And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them.

So how many standing there listening to Jesus died in six days and what would be the significance of that?

There is more to this exchange in 9:1 than Jesus' transfiguration six days later.
None the verse simply says three will see the transfiguration and the rest will not, the verse doesn’t say they will die before six days.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
9:1 does not say only the three of them would see the "kingdom of God come with power" - The transfiguration is just the next statement after - so we can only infer what Christ was speaking to in 9:1

Peter does seem to allude to the transfiguration here:

2 Pet 1:16 (Young's Literal) For, skilfully devised fables not having followed out, we did make known to you the power and presence of our Lord Jesus Christ, but eye-witnesses having become of his majesty.

K

KnowMe

9:1 does not say only the three of them would see the "kingdom of God come with power" - The transfiguration is just the next statement after - so we can only infer what Christ was speaking to in 9:1

Peter does seem to allude to the transfiguration here:

2 Pet 1:16 (Young's Literal) For, skilfully devised fables not having followed out, we did make known to you the power and presence of our Lord Jesus Christ, but eye-witnesses having become of his majesty.
where God is so is kingdom, some folks from the kingdom, Moses, Elijah

Matthew 17
5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014

The Thing is, this preterist doctrine is able to destroy believers Faith and giving false information. This is quit different then to discuss about cerctain points of view in Theologie issues.

Noblemen

Jan 14, 2018

The error in their interpretation, (besides being stubborn and not willing to listen to the truth), is two fold.

2). The kingdom of God (Number 2 is stated three different ways, which I am listing below

Matt.16:28 - Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.
Mark 9:1 - Truly I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God arrive with power.
Luke 9:27 - But I tell you truthfully, some who are standing here will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God.”

As previously stated, the preterists/amills interpret that which is highlighted in red above to mean that Jesus was talking about when He returns to the earth to end the age. So, let's look at another scripture which uses the same wording:

"But if I drive out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. (Matt.12:8)

Jesus said the above when the Pharisees had said that He was casting out demons by the prince of demons. Notice that the phrase "the kingdom of God has come upon you" was referring to Jesus casting out the demon by the power of Holy Spirit and was not referring to His return to end of the age. The meaning is the same in Matthew, Mark and Luke.

Now, let's look at the scripture. I am listing Luke because it is the most fluent:

27But I tell you truthfully, some who are standing here will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God.”

28About eight days after Jesus had said these things, He took with Him Peter, John, and James, and went up on a mountain to pray. 29And as He was praying, the appearance of His face changed, and His clothes became radiantly white. 30Suddenly two men, Moses and Elijah, began talking with Jesus. 31They appeared in glory and spoke about His departure, which He was about to accomplish at Jerusalem.

So, v.27 says "I tell you truthfully, some who are standing here will not taste of death until they see the kingdom of God."

Then in the beginning of v.28 it says, "about eight days after Jesus said these things" which links what Jesus said in V.27 with the following information found in V.28-31, which is also the fulfillment of what He said in v.27.

"He took with them Peter, John, and James and went upon a high mountain to pray." Peter, John and James is the identity of those Jesus was referring to when He said, "some who are standing here will not taste of death."

Then in v.29 it states that while Jesus was praying, the appearance of His face changed (brighter than the sun) and His clothes became radiantly white. This change in His appearance then is the fulfillment of some standing there (Peter, John and James) seeing the kingdom of God, i.e. seeing Jesus in His glorified state.

Therefore, the words, "seeing the kingdom of God" or "seeing the Son of Man coming in His kingdom" has nothing to do with Jesus returning at the end of the age before those standing there had died. What it does have to do with, is Peter, John and James seeing Jesus in His glorified state, which is referring to the kingdom of God coming with power.

So, you have Jesus giving the prophecy in V.27 and about a week later we have fulfillment of said prophecy in V.28-31

It just takes an open mind and a desire to know the truth of God's word, opposed to just adopting the teachings of men and then fighting tooth and nail to protect said false teaching.

The end of the age, i.e. when Jesus returns to the earth and sends out of His angels (Matt.24:30-31, Rev.1:7, 19:11-21) is still to come, but can only take place until after the church has been removed and God's wrath has been poured out via the seals, trumpets and bowl judgments.
My dear brother you have a bone to pick but it's doctrine vs doctrine. When you talk about truth and Christ is not the center of discussion there is no truth, Christ is the truth not my interpretation. Not to nit pick but that is what I get from looking at the arguement. There is no, I'm right their wrong, come on are you serious, valid points must be handled as Jesus on all sides.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018

And specifically the portions regarding "some here will not taste of death" and the "companion" verses that Christ spoke to the Sanhedrin:

Mat 26:59 Now the chief priests, and elders, and all the council, sought false witness against Jesus, to put him to death;

Mat 26:63 But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.

Mat 26:64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

How can the council "see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven" if some of them would not be alive to see Him?
What about this one? Anyone got a valid interpretation? @Ahwatukee @Nehemiah6 @anyone?

L

Locoponydirtman

Thank you for this post. I was unsure of what to make of those particular statements, and you have shed light on some very real possibility, and have gotten me to consider all the other possibilities as well. Such as the resurrected Christ who stood before them in the closed room, the Ascension of Christ as he returned to heaven in front of many people, and as one fella mentioned the day of pentecost. Possibly even in the case of Steven as he was about to be stoned who saw Christ at the right hand of God.
Again thank you for posting. Very eye opening.

L

Locoponydirtman

He didn't promise them that it would be before they stood before him in judgement. This may very well have been a warning that they would see him again and the tables would be turned. He would be at the right hand of power and on a cloud of heaven, and they standing to be judged.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
where God is so is kingdom, some folks from the kingdom, Moses, Elijah

Matthew 17
5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”
What about at the cross, when the thief asked Jesus to remember him when He comes back with His kingdom?