Tattoos?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Since when do Christ followers have to follow Levitical laws? Are you negating the sacrifice Jesus made for us?
Sanctification does not provide Justification in any fashion.

A Levite priest was to obtain the second level of holiness.
 
Since when do Christ followers have to follow Levitical laws? Are you negating the sacrifice Jesus made for us?

Matthew 5:17-20

He called us to repentance for a reason, your reasoning suggests to disregard any attempt to follow the law given to us by The Father. That is in no way what He strove for. He called to overcome through the power of God and His name and His Son. Such a statement would mean literally anything goes, nothing off limits. Which you surely don't suggest, so don't try to suggest such just to win one argument and lose a million others.

The Law was not given to punish man but to protect him. Mans inability to follow the law at all times required sacrifice, Christ provided a sacrifice to replace all sacrifices. That gift, that grace, that love does not come with the encouragement or suggestion to purposely break the law. Such a mindset ignores why He went through what He did. He suffered because of ignorance, He certainly wouldn't encourage more of it.

He called us to know I AM. We are the branches, He is the Vine, The Father the Husbandman. Since when does the branch look and behave radically different from the very vine that it stems from?
 
I think its best to avoid them but I also don't think we should sit in judgement over those that might have them. I have no problem with a person who tatooed up before receiving Christ (within reason). Sometimes I wonder if people ever think about what all those tats are going to look like when gravity defeats our young skin and starts to sag. I've seen some pretty funny/scary pics of people whose tatoos aged in a way no one thought possible. :oops:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Brasspen and Eli1
Sometimes I wonder if people ever think about what all those tats are going to look like when gravity defeats our young skin and starts to sag. I've seen some pretty funny/scary pics of people whose tatoos aged in a way no one thought possible. :oops:
What??? And, you are not going to show us those pictures? o_O










just kidding... ;)
 
I think its best to avoid them but I also don't think we should sit in judgement over those that might have them. I have no problem with a person who tatooed up before receiving Christ (within reason). Sometimes I wonder if people ever think about what all those tats are going to look like when gravity defeats our young skin and starts to sag. I've seen some pretty funny/scary pics of people whose tatoos aged in a way no one thought possible. :oops:


Like this?-
 
He called us to repentance for a reason, your reasoning suggests to disregard any attempt to follow the law given to us by The Father.
No, it does not. I did not address all the laws given, because it's not necessary. We have been told many, many times in the NT that followers of Christ are not under the law, either Mosaic, or Levitical. There is a reason for that. We humans cannot keep the law perfectly, and we no longer have blood sacrifices to cleanse us, ever since Jesus became the final blood sacrifice for us.

If you insist on following, or keeping ANY of those specific laws, you are binding yourself to keeping ALL of them. Are you prepared to do that? I suggest you read Leviticus carefully before you agree to that. Plus, if you make those laws binding, you are making Jesus' sacrifice in vain...

We are to know the laws that God gave mankind, and realize that ALL of those laws are summed up in the two commands Jesus gave us...

Jesus said to him, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 The second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.”

If you follow those two commands to the best of your abiiity, you are "keeping the law".

23 Now before faith came we were held in custody under the law, being kept as prisoners until the coming faith would be revealed. 24 Thus the law had become our guardian until Christ, so that we could be declared righteous by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.
 
  • Like
Reactions: GaryA
Just answering the post.

No tattoos here.

Apart of me thinks I answered this thread already but I’ll repeat myself anyways.

In high school I was really into anime and there was an anime called Demon Eyes Kyo which I bought almost every manga and read them in school or at home. In the series, the main character has a demon cross tattoo on his back and back then, I actually thought it would be cool to have that tattooed on my back.

Fortunately I never got that tattoo or any for that matter…I do think some tattoos are cool looking though. I just personally have no desire to get them for myself.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eli1
I agree; however, you are avoiding my question. :p

Are you wanting to get into an unrelated topic about his salvation?

As a historian who had a vast knowledge of church history, I value his opinion. As a preacher of the gospel in a couple sentences of the book, I do not agree. Reader be aware of that.
If you require me to provide a quote, I expect you to read the book through as well.
 
Are you wanting to get into an unrelated topic about his salvation?

As a historian who had a vast knowledge of church history, I value his opinion. As a preacher of the gospel in a couple sentences of the book, I do not agree. Reader be aware of that.
If you require me to provide a quote, I expect you to read the book through as well.
I want to read what you read that you believe is error in his beliefs.

I have read the whole thing - I am pretty sure the first time was in the 1970s during my high school years. I have been quite well acquainted with it for the majority of my lifetime. I agree that everyone should read it. I skimmed through it the other day when you first mentioned it. I am pretty sure I will read the whole thing again sometime in the not too far future. (Especially since I am planning on it specifically.)

Please just point me to what you read...
 
I agree; however, you are avoiding my question. :p


I might have to find the old hard copy if I didn't give it away. I will try to find it.
I have difficulty reading that length of online material. Eye strain, etc.
I remember that reading it years ago I agreed with everything except the gospel presentation. On cursery exam I see a list of doctrines that differs from memory in the point of salvation.

It is possible that the latest publisher, an independent Baptist Church changed the prologue.
(Sometimes a church publisher will make a footnote to a publication that's no longer under copyright. I'm not sure who's words are in the doctrinal statements at the end. I assume Carroll, but I may be wrong.)

It is also possible that I forgot the following point, which I agree with 100%, and perhaps the statement was in the body of the chapters.

"6. Its members. Believers only, they saved by grace, not works, through the regenerating power of the Holy Spirit."
 
I want to read what you read that you believe is error in his beliefs.

I have read the whole thing - I am pretty sure the first time was in the 1970s during my high school years. I have been quite well acquainted with it for the majority of my lifetime. I agree that everyone should read it. I skimmed through it the other day when you first mentioned it. I am pretty sure I will read the whole thing again sometime in the not too far future. (Especially since I am planning on it specifically.)

Please just point me to what you read...


I'm glad you read it. 😎👍🏻
I found a hard copy next to Foxes Book of Martyrs. I already read 2-3 hours today, so I'll have to wait until I find time to reread it. I do see the same sentence under fundamental doctrines on the last page. Perhaps I was mistaken. It would be good to refresh my memory and read it again since since it's such a good history book.
 
Jesus said to him, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 The second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.”
Tell me, how does one love the Lord God with all their heart, all their soul, and all their mind if they think His creation, His child and therefore his image are imperfect and require physical alteration before being happy with their appearance?

How can someone love their neighbour as themself if they cannot love who they are and the image they were created in?

Does love cause to covet, or does it satisfy?
 
The "apocalyptic literature" of revelations takes a significant amount of reflection to understand and clearly this is not a reference to tattoos, but to being marked spiritually. So that we are known by others to belong to Lord and really has nothing to do with visible ink markings in the skin.

Having said that, the one question I always ask myself is why? Why did they get the tattoo? It's like other sins. There are root causes, sinful root causes that lead us to do something. I think many people have already outlined here the question of attention getting and also the association with other demonic markings that are often done. The irony is it's almost more radical to not get a tattoo today, especially among young trendy artsy city dwellers. …

And it seems to me people do not think of the future when they get a tattoo. Later, when your skin sags and the tattoo gets blurry over time because your body changes, they really are not that interesting to look at except blurry smudge.

I try never to shame people who have tattoos However, in my mind, I struggle with not forming some kind of prejudice. Not that that is a good thing. just that if you're going to get a tattoo know that many people will view this as a lack of purity and a lack of wisdom about your future and your identity in Christ.

I know one lady who had all kinds of scripture in Hebrew and in English on her body, and I don't judge her motives and desire to want to be identified with the Lord and his work, but honestly, it was a huge distraction and shows a lack of discretion. It was quite sad because she was a relatively good looking lady. But there was other evidence in her life that did indicate a lack of wisdom.

So basically yes, if you already have them, then you can decide to have them removed, which is painful and costly and still leaves scars or not worry about them because ultimately it is relatively superficial and the Lord will love you either way. So living without shame is important but also flaunting our bodies and being self obsessed in this way is also not good.

Be at peace if you already have a tattoo, but reflect and talk to the Lord about it and think about how you make other people feel. Try to be self-aware. The more time we spend in fellowship and accountability, then the more our identity in Christ will become so solid that we do not need to have a tattoo or other external things/markings in our lives to try and shore up our identity.
 
Tell me, how does one love the Lord God with all their heart, all their soul, and all their mind if they think His creation, His child and therefore his image are imperfect and require physical alteration before being happy with their appearance?
You are opening Pandora's box here.... do you wear makeup? Did you ever?
Do you color your hair?
What about children born with a cleft palate.... created in God's image... should they not have corrective surgery?
What about braces on teeth? Or, for that matter, dental implants? Dentures?

You are not picking your battles wisely, here.

How can someone love their neighbour as themself if they cannot love who they are and the image they were created in?
Easily.
And, the idea that if a person wants to improve their appearance, then somehow they don't love who they are is simply ludicrous.

But, you are in some ways preaching to the choir here.... I do not like tattoos. I won't get one. I think that the "reasoning" for getting one is usually flawed.
Do I think it is sinful? No... not at all.
Do I think it is silly, bordering on stupid? Yes.

Many tattoos are done as "reminders" or a sort of memorial.... not all tattoos are done specifically for beautification.

My daughter has two tattoos, very small, discreet... one on her ankle, and one on her inner wrist. You would have to look very carefully to even know she had them.... is she a sinner? Seriously? How big a Pharisee are you willing to be?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eli1
I try never to shame people who have tattoos
That sounds very big of you. Very condescendingly forgiving.... hopefully, you just worded this badly....
or not worry about them because ultimately it is relatively superficial and the Lord will love you either way.
Yes.... this is the key statement here... well said...