Tattoos?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
This may be true, I might have made an error.
The only sin against the body is sexual immorality... at least according to scripture. "Man" has tried to add a whole bunch of other things, but the scripture pretty plainly states that every OTHER sin is NOT against the body, but sexual immorality is.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eli1
Your logic breaks down. Are we saying a wall is not pretty because we hang a picture on it? Are we saying a car is not pretty because we put a bumper sticker on it?

That doesn't make sense.

What you felt about tattoos may apply to you, and may even apply to many, but it does not apply to everyone. I know a good many people who see it only as putting a picture they like on an available surface.
Your logic breaks down.

Is a wall or car a living being made in the image of God?

Is a picture hanging on a wall comparable to something "etched" into skin that cannot be "undone" after it has been done? (as if it had never been done)

Your examples do not "measure up" - not even close...
 
Your logic breaks down.

Is a wall or car a living being made in the image of God?

Is a picture hanging on a wall comparable to something "etched" into skin that cannot be "undone" after it has been done? (as if it had never been done)

Your examples do not "measure up" - not even close...
I didn't say that is how it is. I said that is how some see it.
 
And again, I am not saying they are right. I'm just saying that is how they see it.
I didn't say that is how it is. I said that is how some see it.
Okay - that is "just fine and dandy" - only - why will you not consider what has been suggested with regard to how God sees it? Why defend the worldly view so zealously? Do you care enough about what God might think about tattoos to at least be willing to look into it from a biblical perspective? We are not under the "old law"; albeit, there are scriptural principles that are still worth considering as having practical value today.
 
Okay - that is "just fine and dandy" - only - why will you not consider what has been suggested with regard to how God sees it? Why defend the worldly view so zealously? Do you care enough about what God might think about tattoos to at least be willing to look into it from a biblical perspective? We are not under the "old law"; albeit, there are scriptural principles that are still worth considering as having practical value today.
I'm not defending it. I'm saying some people have it.

I'm saying the person was wrong who said all people who get tattoos feel a certain way about it.
 
Okay - that is "just fine and dandy" - only - why will you not consider what has been suggested with regard to how God sees it? Why defend the worldly view so zealously? Do you care enough about what God might think about tattoos to at least be willing to look into it from a biblical perspective? We are not under the "old law"; albeit, there are scriptural principles that are still worth considering as having practical value today.

And again, I am not saying they are right. I'm just saying that is how they see it.


And again, I am not saying they are right. I'm just saying that is how they see it.

And again, I am not saying they are right. I'm just saying that is how they see it.

And again, I am not saying they are right. I'm just saying that is how they see it.

And again, I am not saying they are right. I'm just saying that is how they see it.
How many times do I have to say it?
 
What specifically are you referring to?

Like a lot of books, they are well written about the main subject, like church history. However I recall from reading the hard copy of the same book that he believes in works based salvation.

Romans 11:6And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
 
Like a lot of books, they are well written about the main subject, like church history. However I recall from reading the hard copy of the same book that he believes in works based salvation.

Romans 11:6And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
I am unaware of such - can you point me to any quotes?

Are you sure he is talking about what he believes? (as opposed to the beliefs of someone else in history)
 
I am unaware of such - can you point me to any quotes?

Are you sure he is talking about what he believes? (as opposed to the beliefs of someone else in history)

I was just responding to the comment that @Brasspen said.

"Religion has killed billions of people in all of our recorded history. And being religious is one reason people will not turn to Jesus."

It was a comment I first heard from my Jewish Aunt and Uncle, later from others who criticized Christianity. I didn't think BP was criticizing true believers, just pointing out the wars of religions and probably the inquisitions.
The details of this help us to answer those who mistakenly blame true Biblical Christians for what Rome did during dark times.

The Trail of Blood is the best little book on the subject IMHO. Every preacher and Christian should read it for a better understanding about the religious persecution since the beheading of John the Baptist.
 
Your logic breaks down. Are we saying a wall is not pretty because we hang a picture on it? Are we saying a car is not pretty because we put a bumper sticker on it?

That doesn't make sense.

What you felt about tattoos may apply to you, and may even apply to many, but it does not apply to everyone. I know a good many people who see it only as putting a picture they like on an available surface.

It makes perfect sense. Man made the wall. Man made the car. Man makes mistakes.

The LORD made man. The LORD does not make mistakes. On top of this, we were made in His image, not a tattoo or piercing in sight. To change the image is to declare His image not perfect. Perfection cannot be improved upon. Yet imperfection is never enough, and never enough is endless suffering. A perfect wall would be ruined by an unnecessary picture. A perfect car tainted by an imperfect bumper sticker.

When the LORD looked at His creation He declared it very good. When He sees it suffering then He is saddened. A tattoo whether you or the people you know want to accept it or not is a manifestation of suffering, it only comes from an initial thought of inadequacy.
 
I'm saying the person was wrong who said all people who get tattoos feel a certain way about it.

That name you just used belongs to someone who agrees with my stance and not yours. Tattoos are not to be had, they are both the symptom and cause of problems. I have listed both and how it is a circular issue.

Lev 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eli1
It makes perfect sense. Man made the wall. Man made the car. Man makes mistakes.

The LORD made man. The LORD does not make mistakes. On top of this, we were made in His image, not a tattoo or piercing in sight. To change the image is to declare His image not perfect. Perfection cannot be improved upon. Yet imperfection is never enough, and never enough is endless suffering. A perfect wall would be ruined by an unnecessary picture. A perfect car tainted by an imperfect bumper sticker.

When the LORD looked at His creation He declared it very good. When He sees it suffering then He is saddened. A tattoo whether you or the people you know want to accept it or not is a manifestation of suffering, it only comes from an initial thought of inadequacy.
I can agree with everything except those last two sentences.

Either you have such a big ego that you assume you know how everybody who has ever gotten a tattoo feels about it... Or you have greatly overestimated humans in general, to assume that everybody who has ever gotten a tattoo has contemplated these things.
 
I can agree with everything except those last two sentences.

Either you have such a big ego that you assume you know how everybody who has ever gotten a tattoo feels about it... Or you have greatly overestimated humans in general, to assume that everybody who has ever gotten a tattoo has contemplated these things.

No, most people don't contemplate most of what they do. Hence the state of the world.

Ego would place me separate from other people. A big ego in your words would place me separate and above. Do I look down and trample or do I attempt to lead those who read my messages towards I AM.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eli1
No, most people don't contemplate most of what they do. Hence the state of the world.
EXACTLY!!! This is what I have been saying since this conversation began!

A lot of people don't think about it. They don't have any deep anguish or a desire to improve on what is perfect. They just see a picture they like and their arm doesn't have any picture and they decide to slap a picture on their arm.
 
EXACTLY!!! This is what I have been saying since this conversation began!

A lot of people don't think about it. They don't have any deep anguish or a desire to improve on what is perfect. They just see a picture they like and their arm doesn't have any picture and they decide to slap a picture on their arm.

Way over-simplification that disregards sub-conscious thought. Nothing is just because, that tattoo is the effect not the (be)cause.
 
  • Like
Reactions: GaryA and Eli1
Way over-simplification that disregards sub-conscious thought. Nothing is just because, that tattoo is the effect not the (be)cause.
Some people don't put a whole lot of thought into it.

Do you honestly and earnestly believe you know and comprehend how every single person on earth who has ever gotten a tattoo has felt about getting it?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Brasspen