The awkward moment when....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I will share an awkward moment. So, I went to Lowes, and said, your debit/credit card machines for paying for merchandise are all messed up. For whatever reason, that day they switched to insert your debit card with the chip. Previously it has always been swipe for debit. Wasn't my proudest moment, but it could of been worse.
For the longest time Lowe's was the only retailer (that I am aware of) that you had to swipe a debit card regardless of whether it had a chip or not. It never made any sense.

H

Hamarr

Around here they are still really inconsistent on which you use if you have a chip. Certain chains like Maverick seem to have the slot for the chip reader but it is not supported yet so they stick a card in there that says “please swipe”. So I have gotten used to not knowing which way to use my card since it can be either.

The pharmacy I go to has two different credit card things. One of them is used to swipe/insert cards and the other is for using the stylus to sign for your prescription. I go there once a month and seem to forget most of the time. The one with the stylus is the old machine. It looks like they haven’t updated their system to use the new one yet. Now that I think about it, the Costco pharmacy in Boise might be similar.

On top of that there are a couple of places that seem to have trouble reading my card every time. It’s not my card because every else can accept it, but if I go to one particular store I have to have them enter it manually.

Credit/debit cards = all sorts of awkwardness but that is part of the fun of using them.

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
For the longest time Lowe's was the only retailer (that I am aware of) that you had to swipe a debit card regardless of whether it had a chip or not. It never made any sense.
It's a conspiracy to make us feel dumb. They want us to feel that we are not smart enough to pay for items at the cashier. Then, when we finally remember the Lowes system, they switch it and pretend it never was different.

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
That awkward moment when....

T

tasha66

When you've driven at night after a long day at work from one end of the city to the other (in the pouring rain) to the supermarket, then traipsed round all of it, being pushed and shoved by other customers to get all of your weekly groceries and stuff, you then unload it all at the checkout, pull out your debit card to pay - and it gets rejected.
Unbeknownst to me, many of the banking systems were down that day due to a very rare glitch in the payment system. So I had to leave all my groceries there, go home hungry, get up and go to work the next day, then go back and do all my shopping again the next night - and it was still super busy.
So annoying!

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Yeah, this. You always have to have some cash on hand in case their system can't connect to the world and check whether your card has the funds.

BUT...

There are some places that ONLY take cards. So I have to keep twice the money on hand, cash AND card, because I never know which I will need.

T

tasha66

Yeah, this. You always have to have some cash on hand in case their system can't connect to the world and check whether your card has the funds.

BUT...

There are some places that ONLY take cards. So I have to keep twice the money on hand, cash AND card, because I never know which I will need.
I used to carry cash, but got my purse stolen twice - lost about $150 I think the first time, then about $50 the next - both times at work. It's cheaper to cancel & replace al my cards than to risk losing heaps of money again. I can't remember what it was exactly, but it was a very rare thing that happened that day - like one in a zillion chance, and it affected all of the banks. And I was doing a big shop as it was near Xmas & I had relatives driving over from another state, so wanted to get all my shopping and cooking done early.
I just hope it doesn't happen again anytime soon!

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
When you've driven at night after a long day at work from one end of the city to the other (in the pouring rain) to the supermarket, then traipsed round all of it, being pushed and shoved by other customers to get all of your weekly groceries and stuff, you then unload it all at the checkout, pull out your debit card to pay - and it gets rejected.
Unbeknownst to me, many of the banking systems were down that day due to a very rare glitch in the payment system. So I had to leave all my groceries there, go home hungry, get up and go to work the next day, then go back and do all my shopping again the next night - and it was still super busy.
So annoying!
Groundhog Day! ;)

A similar glitch occurred at my local grocery store a few weeks ago. Fortunately, it only affected certain banks, and my credit card was accepted.

shineyourlight

May 25, 2015
The super awkward moment your Uber driver is a tinder match you ignored for four days and he brought you to a tinder date tonight.

I

IFOLLOWHIM

I'm forever telling automated devices" Thank you"!

Krumbeard

Apr 15, 2019
When you say something funny and then realize it's not funny at all and maybe a bit odd or rude and knowing there is no way to unsay what you just said.

M

morefaithrequired

great thread question...give me time. i will get back to you. there are so many

M

morefaithrequired

I'm forever telling automated devices" Thank you"!
i do the same at the supermarket
self serve machine " thank you for shopping at the fresh food peoples"
me: " no problem. thank you"

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
i do the same at the supermarket
self serve machine " thank you for shopping at the fresh food peoples"
me: " no problem. thank you"
I do the same thing, mostly due to boredom. The machine actually asks, "how did we do today?"

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
That awkward moment when someone randomly says "i love you" to you, and you respond with "congratulations."

Johari

Dec 24, 2013
When you are going to a movie, the person says “enjoy your show” and you say “thank you, you too.” 🤔
I did that once then caught myself and said out loud "wait that doesn't make sense". We both laughed but I was still embarrassed!

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
That awkward moment when you've known a person all your life, but right at this particular moment you can't remember the name for anything...

names.png