The CC Friendship Group Visits a Castle!! Are YOU Secretly a Princess or Knight of Yore?!

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What Animals Should a Castle Moat Have to Make It Invincible???

  • Sting Rays

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Venomous Snakes

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    9
In New Zealand, we don't have Nessie, we have Taniwha as our legendary moat dragons.

So...Seoulsearch are you scouting for accomodations in your(our?) next CC meetup?
I can't imagine how hard that must be to organise that with everyone living all over the place, but then maybe God gifted you with shepherding skills.

Taniwha looks more interesting than Nessie. I always thought it'd be fun to look for cryptids. Like a Scully and Mulder type of job, without FBI ties.
 
In New Zealand, we don't have Nessie, we have Taniwha as our legendary moat dragons.

So...Seoulsearch are you scouting for accomodations in your(our?) next CC meetup?
I can't imagine how hard that must be to organise that with everyone living all over the place, but then maybe God gifted you with shepherding skills.

You are right on the money!

We have a group of about 8 people who live all over the USA, so it's nearly impossible to make plans or all be together in the same place at the same time. But we keep trying!! I can't remember the last time we got together -- 2023? And even then, I think it was only 5 of us that were able to make it.

If someone in the group is traveling, they'll try to visit anyone close to the area they're going to, but it isn't often.

So this is why we have a group chat on one of the messenger apps to stay in touch.

The times when we can get together in person are truly a miracle!

I was "in town" this past summer and able to see @cinder, who is also much more talented at putting these things together than I am.

She and a few other members have real talents for scouting out accommodations. We're kind of in the brainstorming phase right now.

We all add in little tidbits to the research and then just hope and pray it all comes together! :)

Thanks for asking for mentioning Taniwha -- I'm Googling information about him right now!! :D
 
Taniwha looks more interesting than Nessie. I always thought it'd be fun to look for cryptids. Like a Scully and Mulder type of job, without FBI ties.
Are cryptids...like gryphons or griffins? Or gargoyles. I will need to look them up, never heard of them before.

Yes that would be a most interesting job, some people do hunt the elusive creations and they can become a bit obessessed about them. Like this book I am reading right now about a guy who is mad on penguins and wants to see ALL 19 different species. So he goes and visits all the places that have them including Antarctica. But he lives in Scotland, so its a a fair way to go.
 
Are cryptids...like gryphons or griffins? Or gargoyles. I will need to look them up, never heard of them before.

Yes that would be a most interesting job, some people do hunt the elusive creations and they can become a bit obessessed about them. Like this book I am reading right now about a guy who is mad on penguins and wants to see ALL 19 different species. So he goes and visits all the places that have them including Antarctica. But he lives in Scotland, so its a a fair way to go.

A cryptid is a critter that hasn't been proven to exist. There are those in the world that love to look for cryptids. Cryptids range from Bigfoot to el chupacabra to Nessie to Mongolian death worm and so on and so forth.
 
You are right on the money!

We have a group of about 8 people who live all over the USA, so it's nearly impossible to make plans or all be together in the same place at the same time. But we keep trying!! I can't remember the last time we got together -- 2023? And even then, I think it was only 5 of us that were able to make it.

If someone in the group is traveling, they'll try to visit anyone close to the area they're going to, but it isn't often.

So this is why we have a group chat on one of the messenger apps to stay in touch.

The times when we can get together in person are truly a miracle!

I was "in town" this past summer and able to see @cinder, who is also much more talented at putting these things together than I am.

She and a few other members have real talents for scouting out accommodations. We're kind of in the brainstorming phase right now.

We all add in little tidbits to the research and then just hope and pray it all comes together! :)

Thanks for asking for mentioning Taniwha -- I'm Googling information about him right now!! :D
Have you decided on a castle yet. There is no choice in NZ there is only one castle.

I have stayed in a castle...in England. It was on a backpacking tour and it was all organised for us. I thought that was the best place we stayed in out of all the places we stayed overnight, (usually hostels) I wish I could recall exactly which one it was, but then there are lots of castles in England. Any place with a turret and ghosts is considered a castle though.
 
  • Heart
Reactions: seoulsearch
A cryptid is a critter that hasn't been proven to exist. There are those in the world that love to look for cryptids. Cryptids range from Bigfoot to el chupacabra to Nessie to Mongolian death worm and so on and so forth.
What about...unicorns.
Or snuffleupagus. Only Big Bird could see him though, others didn't believe he existed.

People do wish they could see species that are meant to be extinct, or critters that are endangered and possibly will go extinct if we keep on living the way we do, destroying their habitat.
 
  • Love
Reactions: seoulsearch
Have you decided on a castle yet. There is no choice in NZ there is only one castle.

I have stayed in a castle...in England. It was on a backpacking tour and it was all organised for us. I thought that was the best place we stayed in out of all the places we stayed overnight, (usually hostels) I wish I could recall exactly which one it was, but then there are lots of castles in England. Any place with a turret and ghosts is considered a castle though.

We are looking at an area that has a locally built castle (private residence/event center.)

It's a bit like the one @CarriePie mentioned. From what I've seen, there are several places like this all across the USA. It's open to the public for various tours, holds an annual Renaissance Fair, and several other festivities throughout the year. This one is kind of unique in that it doubles as a Bed 'n' Breakfast, so you can actually stay inside the castle for a few days.

I know it might not technically be a "real" or historical castle, but it's close enough for me! 😍🏰
 
If its the USA and you want to meet somewhere, would CC ever go to a place like Las Vegas which has accomodations already there and all sorts of things to see and do. Or is that too much of a 'sin city'.

I mean what place is central to everyone and easy to get to? Chicago? Boulder, Colorado? Washington DC? I'm not too familiar with US geography, but I go to clothing stores and they almost always have sweatshirts, t shirts and hoodies with names of places in the US like New York, Miami, LA, on them. I'm like where are the clothes with places in New Zealand on them??? Aren't they cool to wear, or do they get imported to other countries, so you might see someone wearing a tshirt that says Auckland or Mt Eden on it in...Switzerland.
 
What about...unicorns.
Or snuffleupagus. Only Big Bird could see him though, others didn't believe he existed.

People do wish they could see species that are meant to be extinct, or critters that are endangered and possibly will go extinct if we keep on living the way we do, destroying their habitat.

Snuffie!!

Never thought of him as a cryptid but I'm thinking he definitely might qualify -- very interesting thought.

I grew up when a major Sesame Street plot revolved around none of the humans ever seeing Snuffie, so for several years, no one would believe that snuffleupaguses really existed. Big Bird was always trying to arranged meetings with Snuffie, but there was alway some kind of ironic situation that would keep everyone else from seeing him.

It was a big deal when all the neighbors on Sesame Street were finally able to meet an actual snuffleupagus!!

1790350180706.png

1790350228814.png
 
CarriePie mentioned a haunted house. I missed the post where she mentioned a castle. Or were they one and the same.

Would you stay in a haunted house?

What about those summer camps that children are always going to in their school holidays. They get advertised as summer jobs for students here to volunteer at as camp counselors and have an overseas experience at the same time.

I suppose this is different and not actually like a church camp/ministry. Some people don't make happy campers though and the wilderness and sleeping habits of others can be off-putting. The only time I put the snorers on ignore but it doesn't work because there is no button to push unlike on CC.
 
The only castle I've been to is the Castle of Muskogee. It's a building made to look like a castle, there is a king and queen, and they do different events through the year. The Oklahoma Renaissance Festival is the main event of the year. It happens during the month of May. There are jousters, jesters, maidens, etc. They have different events to suit everyone: tea with the queen, a pub crawl, Renaissance costume contest, a royal joust, a pirates feast, a ball, etc.
They have other events during other times of the year too: Halloween, Christmas, etc.


---
1. What is your idea of an ideal castle? Are you more into a fantasy version, a real-life version, or more of a fortress-type structure? Which ones would you want to visit?

After seeing The Friendly Physician episode of Gilligan's Island, I think I'm going to go with the Island Castle. Have a mad scientist there like Dr. Boris Balinkoff.

2. What parts of the castle would you most be interested in seeing?

Definitely the dungeon! Also, the defense/battle stations/artillery, and the towers and walk-walk. I'd like to see the drawbridge too!

3. Would you be happy with just a tour, or would you want to stay overnight/a few days/spend your whole vacation inside the actual castle? Which parts would you most want to explore in detail?

I'd stay as long as I'm able/allowed lol. I want to thoroughly explore the dungeon of course, but I also want to see what the kitchen was like. The grounds would be great to explore too.

4. Which role would you be taking at the castle? Are you a knowledgeable knight, precocious princess, friendly friar, dashing duke, or loyal lady in waiting?

Hmmm...I'm thinking the Castle Warden.

5. And, the most important question of all -- what kinds of animals should dwell in the castle moat, striking fear into the hearts of even the most savage of enemies?

The Lusca, which is a Caribbean cryptid that's a mashup of a octopus and a shark.

It was right here ^
 
Our big bird in NZ called the moa went extinct as they all got eaten by Maori.

Not a proud moment for them. Eventually the Europeans had to come with their chickens before the Maori started eating up all the kiwis. Or each other, we did have instances of cannibalism. Thankfully they also bought potatoes and peaches.

We never had snuffies though. Or giraffes. Giraffes are kind of hard to miss, but actually their splotches serve as camouflage in the trees and in the heat of an African savannah, where it all gets blurry if a giraffe is standing near a tree, you could mistake it for a tree, or think you may be seeing a mirage.
 
If its the USA and you want to meet somewhere, would CC ever go to a place like Las Vegas which has accomodations already there and all sorts of things to see and do. Or is that too much of a 'sin city'.

I mean what place is central to everyone and easy to get to? Chicago? Boulder, Colorado? Washington DC? I'm not too familiar with US geography, but I go to clothing stores and they almost always have sweatshirts, t shirts and hoodies with names of places in the US like New York, Miami, LA, on them. I'm like where are the clothes with places in New Zealand on them??? Aren't they cool to wear, or do they get imported to other countries, so you might see someone wearing a tshirt that says Auckland or Mt Eden on it in...Switzerland.

You know how we've mentioned going to Pigeon Forge, TN -- that was a lot like Vegas (a place designed solely for tourism,) but had things we were actually interested in seeing (like an aquarium, pinball/video game arcade, etc.) None of us are interested in what Vegas has to offer, but the idea of a place with lots to see and do is definitely ideal.

And yes, meetups are a bear of a challenge to set up.

What usually happens is that someone is traveling somewhere close to someone else, and the rest of us see if there's any way we can all meet in that area.

For example, Cinder lives near a place I was already traveling this past summer, so we all talked about meeting up there.

Unfortunately, it didn't work out, but I was able to hang out with Cinder (went to her church and she took me to an awesome Butterfly Garden,) so we take what we can get and are very grateful if something does work out! :)
 
Would you stay in a haunted house?

What about those summer camps that children are always going to in their school holidays. They get advertised as summer jobs for students here to volunteer at as camp counselors and have an overseas experience at the same time.

I suppose this is different and not actually like a church camp/ministry. Some people don't make happy campers though and the wilderness and sleeping habits of others can be off-putting. The only time I put the snorers on ignore but it doesn't work because there is no button to push unlike on CC.

This is a good question.

Would anyone else stay in a haunted house?

I would, because I love architecture and living spaces, and many "haunted" places are incredible old buildings or hotels that would be amazing to see.

I would at least want to tour it, but I'm not sure about staying.

I definitely believe in evil spirits possibly clinging on to a place and yes, I know Jesus has defeated them all, but if I felt God didn't want me to go there, I would certainly stay away.

How about everyone else?

As for camps, that's not really my vibe (already paid my dues at Lutheran summer camp as a kid,) but if it was a resort modeled after a campground/wilderness (with modern conveniences,) I would definitely consider it.

What about everyone else?
 
Wow Castleton.

USAsians take their RPG seriously! Here its amateur in comparison, we have Hobbiton, Hells gate (buried Maori village amongst the geysers), Howick Historical Village, Larnach Castle and that's about it.

I have heard some people like to reenact the Civil war for reasons unknown. Not just in movies like Gone with the Wind, but on the actual battlefields, and play Yankees and Confederates.

If we did that kind of thing in NZ, ...well we just would never do that for fun. It would be too political.
We did have a TV series called Hercules, and Xena, but that was not Renaissance era.
 
Spookers in NZ is a haunted house or actually a former insane asylum you can go to and get scared for fun.

When friends wanted to go, I said I wouldn't and I didn't. Places like that are sad for me and I get vibes from those kinds of unhappy places where people were institutionalised.

I have been on a ghost tour in Edinburgh town and that was not scary, it was more entertaining for the tourists. Maybe they had an exorcism or cleansed that area and theres no more Jack the ripper types hanging round.