The Gospel Demands Radical Sacrifice - David Platt

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 4, 2012
That is to stretch the gospel to have no effect, like people used to cook on Saturday so no work on Sunday. Sure that was their understanding but still doesn't make it right. To call faith and belief a work is ridiculous. We are saved by a God given measure of faith, wow you guys are endless with twists on scripture. Read it don't try to interpret it, leave that to the HolySpirit there is enough nonsense already with the world watching, unbelievable.
This is the work of God: that you believe into the one [the father] set apart. John 6:29

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
This is the work of God: that you believe into the one [the father] set apart. John 6:29
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that everyone believing into Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world that He might judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. The one believing into Him is not condemned; but the one not believing has already been condemned, for he has not believed into the name of the only begotten Son of God.
(Joh 3:16-18 LITV-TSP)

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
It is The word; the law; the commandments; Christ in our hearts; minds, and mouths which is the end of the Law ( written with ink and tables of stone for righteousness for all that believe. A new ministration! Not on tables of stone but on the fleshly tables of the heart. A new creature; a new and living way into the holiest of all through the veil; that is to say His flesh; the body of Christ. Not that our sufficiency is of ourselves but our sufficiency is of GOD.
Romans 10:4 - For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

"He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant — not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills...the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone...the ministry that condemns" (2 Corinthians 3:6-9).

The law on our heart and mind is the love of the Spirit, not the law of the letter. This is why Paul tells us that the new covenant is a covenant of the Spirit, and not of the letter.

For it is HE that works in us both to will an d do HIS good pleasure. For we are dead nevertheless we live Yet not us but Christ liveth in us and the life we now live we live by the FAITH of the Son of GOD. Christ in us the hope of glory.
Amen to this! :)

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Romans 10:4 - For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.
We are new creation in Christ Jesus. No longer of the letter. An observance to that which was written on tables of stone and on parchment. For GOD has said. I will circumcise your heart, and the heart of your seed (with the circumcision of Christ), to love Jehovah your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, that you may live. For you shall listen to the voice of Jehovah your God, to keep His commandments and His statutes which are written in the book of this law. For you shall turn back toward Jehovah your God, with all your heart and with all your soul. For this command which (HIS commandments and statutes written in the book of the Law; the Word; Christ) I am commanding you day is not too wonderful for you, nor is it too far off. It is not in the heavens that you should say, Who shall go up into the heavens for us, and bring it to us, and cause us to hear it, that we may do it? And it is not beyond the sea that you should say, Who shall cross over for us to the region beyond the sea and take it for us, and cause us to hear it, that we may do it? For the word (His Commandments and statutes written in the book of the Law; the Word; Christ) is very near to you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may do it. That is the word of faith in which we preach. And this word of faith; Christ in you the hope of glory is the end of the law; that which is written parchment and tables of stone for righteousness for all that believe. A new ministration! Not on tables of stone but on the fleshly tables of the heart. This is and was GOD's intention from the beginning. But due to our stiff necks and hard hearts it wasn't realized and fulfilled in most. So HE reprophesied it in Jeremiah.

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law (My commandments and statutes written in the book of the law; the word; Christ) in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; (that they may do it) and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. This is the faith in which we preach. And this faith has been available through Christ since the beginning.
((Deu 30:6-14; Jer 31:31-33 KJV)

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
We are new creation in Christ Jesus. No longer of the letter. An observance to that which was written on tables of stone and on parchment. For GOD has said
I will circumcise your heart, and the heart of your seed (with the circumcision of Christ), to love Jehovah your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, that you may live. For you shall listen to the voice of Jehovah your God, to keep His commandments and His statutes which are written in the book of this law. For you shall turn back toward Jehovah your God, with all your heart and with all your soul. For this command which (HIS commandments and statutes written in the book of the Law; the Word; Christ) I am commanding you day is not too wonderful for you, nor is it too far off. It is not in the heavens that you should say, Who shall go up into the heavens for us, and bring it to us, and cause us to hear it, that we may do it? And it is not beyond the sea that you should say, Who shall cross over for us to the region beyond the sea and take it for us, and cause us to hear it, that we may do it? For the word (His Commandments and statutes written in the book of the Law; the Word; Christ) is very near to you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may do it. That is the word of faith in which we preach. And this word of faith; Christ in you the hope of glory is the end of the law; that which is written parchment and tables of stone for righteousness for all that believe. A new ministration! Not on tables of stone but on the fleshly tables of the heart. This is and was GOD's intention from the beginning. But due to our stiff necks and hard hearts it wasn't realized and fulfilled in most. So HE reprophesied it in Jeremiah.

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law (My commandments and statutes written in the book of the law; the word; Christ) in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; (that they may do it) and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. This is the faith in which we preach. And this faith has been available through Christ since the beginning.
((Deu 30:6-14; Jer 31:31-33 KJV)
Jeremiah 31:33 - But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. So which law are you implying is written in our minds and hearts? The 10 commandments? Are you also implying that salvation is based on the merits of obeying the 10 commandments from the old covenant? Is that what you call salvation through faith? Is that what you believe the new covenant is all about?

The Sabbath is of the LORD not pagan

Jesus said He is Lord of the Sabbath which is the Seventh Day of the week not the first day of the week
Christ is our “Sabbath rest”, not any one day of the week. (Matthew 11:28-30) (Hebrews 4). We should not be arguing over days of the week.

5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it.
- Romans 14:5-6a

I won't ask you the same question you asked me because it is blatantly obvious you know NOTHING about the 'SABBATH of the LORD'. You are NOT looking at what GOD says but what comes from human understanding....which we are NOT to rely on.
Christ is our Sabbath. He is our rest.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Christ is our “Sabbath rest”, not any one day of the week. (Matthew 11:28-30) (Hebrews 4). We should not be arguing over days of the week.

5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it.
- Romans 14:5-6a
Amen! Hebrews 4:9 - So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. Here the Sabbath rest is the perpetual rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with Jesus Christ, in contrast to keeping the weekly seventh day Sabbath under the Law. :)

Noblemen

Jan 14, 2018
I wouldn't even bother to debate with this member who just makes stuff up and calls it scripture.
Because Beta is an elder who deserves respect, her understanding of scripture may differ from your well thought solutions youngman.
Belief and trust is a work. To have faith is to exercise trust in what you believe. Faith without works is dead being alone.

What is faith?
Care to explain this to Paul "I live by the faith of the Son of God."

beta

Aug 8, 2016
Because Beta is an elder who deserves respect, her understanding of scripture may differ from your well thought solutions youngman.
Thanks for your comment !
but I can be just as wrong as the next man or woman...AGE does not protect from error.

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
In his time Jesus was certainly a radical. That's why the temple elders wanted him dead and Rome fearing his charasma with the crowds didn't object.
However, Jesus was God so his radical teaching was a good thing.

I think before we look to any front row attention pastor bringing books and teachings about getting radical as believers we should find out what the shepherd believes. This article is but two years old.
David Platt & Raising The Dead: Is The SBC Going Full Benny?

Marano

Dec 7, 2011
In his time Jesus was certainly a radical. That's why the temple elders wanted him dead and Rome fearing his charasma with the crowds didn't object.
However, Jesus was God so his radical teaching was a good thing.

I think before we look to any front row attention pastor bringing books and teachings about getting radical as believers we should find out what the shepherd believes. This article is but two years old.
David Platt & Raising The Dead: Is The SBC Going Full Benny?
Without reading the article, what is your point?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

Care to explain this to Paul "I live by the faith of the Son of God."
Actually, I wasn't referring to Beta but I appreciate you sticking up for her. I agree with you that elder's deserve respect. I am reaching the elder stage too.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
Love less? That is from Strongs.
Here is what Bauer penned in the BDAG.

to be disinclined to, disfavor, disregard in contrast to preferential treatment (Gn 29:31; Dt 21:15, 16) Mt 6:24; Lk 16:13. τὴν ψυχὴν αὐτοῦ J 12:25 or ἑαυτοῦ Lk 14:26 (cp. the formulation Plut, Mor. 556d οὐδ᾿ ἐμίσουν ἑαυτούς; on the theme cp. Tyrtaeus [VII B.C.] 8, 5 D.3). Ro 9:13 (Mal 1:2f). Perh. 2 Cl 6:6 (s. 1b). (JDenney, The Word ‘Hate’ in Lk 14:26: ET 21, 1910, 41f; WBleibtreu, Paradoxe Aussprüche Jesu: Theol. Arbeiten aus d. wissensch. Prediger-Verein d. Rheinprovinz, new ser. 20, 24, 15–35; RSockman, The Paradoxes of J. ’36).—ACarr, The Mng. of ‘Hatred’ in the NT: Exp. 6th ser., 12, 1905, 153–60.—DELG. M-M. EDNT. TW.

Love less?
The definition "disregard in contrast to preferential treatment" could be comparable to "love less".. Both mean to keep others and yourself beneath the importance you assign to God. And logically speaking, in Matthew 15:4 Jesus quoted the 5th commandment (honor your parents), so I'm certain he wasn't changing it to "hate your parents" in Luke 14:26. He was simply saying that if you love others more than God, you aren't worthy to be his disciple.. jmo

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
It makes you wonder if that is the 'only' bad/poor translation in the bible that can lead people astray ? after all it was written/translated by fallible Humans who themselves were 'not yet perfect'.

Be that as it may, whoever searches for truth with all their heart will find it.

beta

Aug 8, 2016
Actually, I wasn't referring to Beta but I appreciate you sticking up for her. I agree with you that elder's deserve respect. I am reaching the elder stage too.
Yes, actually I had a feeling you were not referring to me in your negative reply, but to the person I answered. But confusion arises when comments are made without 'addressing them to 'someone. It would help to know who is being spoken to - lol !

beta

Aug 8, 2016
Be that as it may, whoever searches for truth with all their heart will find it.
Yes, it is a life-long work in/for the Lord that proves nothing is handed to us on a 'silver plate.
Far too many think we can just sit back and rest totally in Christ without ever lifting a finger.
Joh 5v17 Father and Son are workers...they are not raising a brood of 'bone-idle children who think 'work' is a dirty word.

beta

Aug 8, 2016
Belief and trust is a work. To have faith is to exercise trust in what you believe. Therefore Faith is a work.
Absolutely...there are 'our own works we have to GIVE UP' and there are the
'works of GOD we have to TAKE UP' after we have been shown mercy by God and saved through Grace.
The whole point of being 'saved by Grace is that we then 'change from our old way TO THE NEW WAY !
We are saved while sinners in order to be 'converted to GOD's Righteousness....we can not remain sinners. Rom 6.

Lancelot

Mar 19, 2015
Platt is one of these young "Restless and Reformed" ministers who gets his kicks looking like he's standing against the apostacy.