The Lake of Fire

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
Jesus knew better but most humans believe his lies. We live in a fallen universe because of this. The issue going forward is to sort the truth from lies. Our fate and blessings in this life and eternity hinge on this one issue and without the Holy Spirit not simply residing but presiding in our souls, we will all lose blessings that were designed for each of us, in eternity past.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
I agree. Jesus's earthly ministry showed nobody can ever reign over him. Demons and men tried and failed. Point is, God and his Word have always ruled. We just didn't know it until Jesus proved it.

And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. Mt.4:9

Can you see the insanity of this proposal? Satan offering to give The Creator what already belongs to him?
If he can offer it to Jesus, then that tells me that he has and will repeat that same promise to humanity, especially leaders. The results of believing that particular lie are laid bare in our history books.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
If he can offer it to Jesus, then that tells me that he has and will repeat that same promise to humanity, especially leaders. The results of believing that particular lie are laid bare in our history books.
Yep and the world still believes a lie. Its not over yet...the thing is there is only one planet earth and thse believing a lie are rapidly destroying it through their own sinful actions. This is why there is global warming. This is why so many animals have become extinct. This is why theres a huge gap between rich and poor and so many people are in slavery. This is why sin and fallenness affects everyone around us. This is why the old earth needs to go and a new heaven and earth must come...Jesus is bringing it.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
Jesus's ministry was never cut short. Its ongoing in us,

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord, and he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you, whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began. Act.3:19-21

Jesus remains where he is now, until all things have been made perfect. Then, what he made perfect will be made manifest and the imperfect will vanish.

God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. Jn.4:24

Unbelievers don't want to worship the God they can't see, don't want him reigning over them. Nothing to do with the Spirit and in fact mock believers for it.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
And at the judgment seat of Christ for keeps.

Matthew55

Dec 29, 2018
If you was in hell, you would still be there..... Rich man and lazarus. Once you're in hell, you aint getting out!
Revelation 20:13 King James Version (KJV)
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Is the hell you are talking about different from the hell in this scripture?

Matthew55

Dec 29, 2018
No the lake of fire is an actual place I have seen it with my own eyes when I was in hell, not that I was sent there to be damned it was for a different reason. The lake of fire is literal it is huge and people are screaming and burning literally begging for death but they never die they have immortal bodies that never die yet feels pain and flesh burns just like a real body.
God's love is infinite. IOW you can not know, nor can you begin to understand how much God loves his creations. Because of that great love, I am not able to believe that God would throw one of these loved creations into a lake of fire where their flesh burns and they feel the burning sensation, but can never die or get away from this exquisite pain for ever and ever and ever, where there tortured screams would be heard, worlds without end.

Even though you say you have been there, I do not believe it. If I were to believe you, I would have to not believe the love of God. I believe the love of God.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
God's love is infinite. IOW you can not know, nor can you begin to understand how much God loves his creations. Because of that great love, I am not able to believe that God would throw one of these loved creations into a lake of fire where their flesh burns and they feel the burning sensation, but can never die or get away from this exquisite pain for ever and ever and ever, where there tortured screams would be heard, worlds without end.

Even though you say you have been there, I do not believe it. If I were to believe you, I would have to not believe the love of God. I believe the love of God.
Gods love is perfect. It is also quite different from human love because of this. Our lack of understanding that justice is also part of God’s love can lead us down the path to universalism. If God only saves but does not condemn, then our Bibles are false and there is no need to repent.

He loves us because of who He is, not because of who we are.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
So you dont really believe it might take 1000 years to reward all the saints? So chapter 20:4-5 youve reversed?? You dont belive scripure that says there are first and second resurrections?

Weird ok. What church do you go to...? I've never heard someone who doesnt believe what the Bible plainly says and insists the opposite! Of course Jesus returns...for any alive and remaining including the saved righteous who died and will be resurrected together we will rule and reign with him 1000 years and THEN the wicked who are not in the book of life are judged right at the end.

It helps if you just read the chapter as it is written and stop ignoring what it says. Why so insistant that the 1000 years does not happen? Do you only think there will be a handful of saints and we will rule and reign for just one day or something. Theres going to be hundreds of thousands if not millions of believers ...

What goes on in the heavens that John saw of course is happening in eternity which reflects what is to come for believers now. But YOU are not in the afterlife yet. Have you received your crown of glory? Have you been judged the moment you were saved? You have been forgiven right? Have you died and been resurrected already?

I am not asking these questions to be picky but asking you to explain just what you believe the resurrection to be. If you have eternal life now, presumably, you have already died then. Are you in your glorifed body now...and have we all missed the resurrection then. So what happened to all the saints from the past still in their graves? Shouldnt be seeing them...and shouldnt we be able to rock up to the New Jerusalem and celebrate in the Holy City where Jesus is reigning if the Kingdom of Heaven is there now? Where are the twelve apostles on the thrones with Jesus. Send us all tickets to the Holy Land then. Why does the Revelation say EVERY eye shall see Jesus...and how come nobody is seeing Him right now?

It is not in our imaginations. GOd has promised us and Jesus will return to complete the work. Till that time Jesus has sent them holy spirit to witness to Him and spread the gospel. IF Jesus has returned already then it would be obvious to EVERYONE, the entire world not just a few. Our spiritual salvation is saving us for this Kingdom, what do you believe saving actually means. When you save money, for example, does that mean you spend it all now. No, you save it for the rainy day. We believers are living right now by faith. This does not mean the Kingdom is not real to us but it is going to come down from Heaven when Jesus returns which obviously has mot happened yet...because those seven plagues havent been released yet...unless you are telling us they have and we all missed it.
I believe the 1st resurrection is when people are born again, made alive in Christ from the dead. The 2nd resurrection is the bodily one.

We reign with Christ in mercy, by his Spirit, as he taught us and continues to teach us, in love and peace and the rest of the fruits of the Spirit. for "a thousand" years, not "one thousand" years.

And no, I'm not "imagining" that Jesus is alive right now reigning over all the earth. I'm not imagining that believers already have eternal life and can never die. I'm not imagining that in Christ, Satan has no power over us. The unrepentant think my life in Christ is my imagination. Their delusions don't bother me.

Salvation is by faith in Christ. It always has been and will be until the end. Jesus never taught he would rule over fence sitters for a one thousand years period with an uncountable number of holy angels and with millions of saints in new bodies. People who think whakadoole is still. in charge will find out the truth when Christ returns in person and if people haven't lived by faith in God before this, they're done.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Ok well Journeyman, thanks for posting your thinking as its quite clear to me youve got something bother you about judgement day that you cant let go of. 1st reusrection and 2nd resurrection to you are only for believers and you want unbelievers to stay dead and vanish but according to scripture, you are mistaken. The unbelievers, the condemened and unrepentant, have their judgment too and are under the wrath of God.
You dont say how the thousand years are fulfilled.

You also are twisting everything I wrote around.
Dont you see that when Christ returns the seven plagues will have been finished. We will have our first bodily resurrection which is ONLY believers ruling and reigning...everyone else would have died or is outside of the Kingdom. Then after thosuand years of peaceful reign satans will come out of his prison and gather up the unbelievers left. They will try to kill the saints but God puts and end to that. And he will judge the rest. The saints had already had their judgment first thats why they got to reign WITH Christ.

After the lake of fire where death and hell and the false prophet are cast, the entire heaven and earth will be made new again.

Nobody is saying Christ is going to rule fence sitters. JEsus comes with a rod of iron. They will be outside the kingdom, doing their own thing unrepentantly until judgement day.

You obviously havent read chapter Five verses 10-11....? Cos it just says what I explained in my other post that you dismissed.

When Jesus was telling people that the meek would inherit the earth...have we inherited anything yet? No we are still waiting for redemption, we have the deposit, but we havent claimed it yet cos we not in our glorified bodies. Jesus had Doubting Thomas touch the scars of his hands and feet.

You sir, seem to not be willing to believe Jesus will ever come back where eVERY eye will see Him. You are not willing to concede what scripture says about judgement of the wicked.

I give you two scriputre references please look them up
JOhn 5:28-29
Daniel 12:2

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I once thought of the lake of fire only as a place, but I'm not sure that's right. I think its possible the lake of fire is an event, judgment day, where the fire present is the very presence of God himself.

But then I remembered how Rev.19:20 says the antichrist is "thrown into" the lake of fire. To me, these two descriptions are synonymous.
Therefore Antichrist is thrown into God's presence???

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
Ok well Journeyman, thanks for posting your thinking as its quite clear to me youve got something bother you about judgement day that you cant let go of. 1st reusrection and 2nd resurrection to you are only for believers and you want unbelievers to stay dead and vanish but according to scripture, you are mistaken. The unbelievers, the condemened and unrepentant, have their judgment too and are under the wrath of God.
No sis. The 1st resurrection is only for believers. The 2nd, the bodily resurrection, consists of both saved and unsaved and is the realization to the unsaved that the gospel shared with them in this present world and rejected by them, is true.

You dont say how the thousand years are fulfilled.
Since only Christ binds Satan, it must be that the gospel is assaulted world-wide. How exactly? I'm not sure. Could be laws being passed, unparalleled persecution. Heresy that is so deceptive is a favorite tool of the devil.

You also are twisting everything I wrote around.
Dont you see that when Christ returns the seven plagues will have been finished. We will have our first bodily resurrection which is ONLY believers ruling and reigning...everyone else would have died or is outside of the Kingdom.
People are dead now, because they're outside the Kingdom. That's why were ambassadors for the King. We speak in the name of the King.

Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 1Jon.4:4

You have your foot on the devil's neck, and there's nothing he can do about it.

Then after thosuand years of peaceful reign satans will come out of his prison and gather up the unbelievers left. They will try to kill the saints but God puts and end to that. And he will judge the rest. The saints had already had their judgment first thats why they got to reign WITH Christ.
In Christ, we passed from judgment, from condemnation.

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Rom.8:1

With Christ in us, we reign as he did, over all the powers of darkness.

After the lake of fire where death and hell and the false prophet are cast, the entire heaven and earth will be made new again.
They're being made new now in Christ. They haven't been tranformed yet. (Gal.6:7-8)

Nobody is saying Christ is going to rule fence sitters. JEsus comes with a rod of iron. They will be outside the kingdom, doing their own thing unrepentantly until judgement day.
People are ouside the Kingdom doing their own thing now. He already came with the rod of iron, which is the unbreakable word of God (Isa.11:4). Jesus isn't coming with a literal metal rod to hit people wit who won't pay attention.

You obviously havent read chapter Five verses 10-11....? Cos it just says what I explained in my other post that you dismissed.
I'm not ignoring what you're saying. I've answered all this before. They're saying, "We will reign, because Jesus overcame." Not later on, but as the result of. Look,

And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever. Rev.11:15

Is he saying, "These kingdoms didn't belong to that Father and Son once. God hasn't always reigned over these kingdoms."??? No! He's saying, "Until Jesus rose from the dead, we didn't realize God and his Son have always reigned over these kingdoms." You see the difference?

When Jesus was telling people that the meek would inherit the earth...have we inherited anything yet? No we are still waiting for redemption, we have the deposit, but we havent claimed it yet cos we not in our glorified bodies. Jesus had Doubting Thomas touch the scars of his hands and feet.

You sir, seem to not be willing to believe Jesus will ever come back where eVERY eye will see Him. You are not willing to concede what scripture says about judgement of the wicked.

I give you two scriputre references please look them up
JOhn 5:28-29
Daniel 12:2
This is the resurrection. The bodily resurrection.
Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. Jn.5:28-29

This is the 1st resurrection. Believers only.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. Jn.5:24-25

Same thing with Dan.12:2[/QUOTE]

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
Therefore Antichrist is thrown into God's presence???
And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming. 2Thes.2:8

Don't throw a counter verse. Just answer it.

Matthew55

Dec 29, 2018
Gods love is perfect. It is also quite different from human love because of this. Our lack of understanding that justice is also part of God’s love can lead us down the path to universalism. If God only saves but does not condemn, then our Bibles are false and there is no need to repent.

He loves us because of who He is, not because of who we are.
I believe God loves us because of who He is, AND because of who we are. We are His creation and His children. There must be justice, and condemnation, but not to the extreme that you profess. Can you imagine that if your daughter rejected Jesus, could you ever take her to a place of literal fire and brimstone and throw her body into that inferno and shut the door and leave?

The answer is no. She would face judgement, but not burning forever and not having relief from pain, second upon second, minute upon minute, hour upon hour, day upon day, week upon week, month upon month, year upon year, decade upon decade, century upon century, millienium upon millenium, eternity upon eternity. The answer is no, God would not put anyone through this kind of cruelty to meet out justice and condemnation.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming. 2Thes.2:8

Don't throw a counter verse. Just answer it.
I guess you didn't catch my point. Of course the antiChrist doom is the Lake of fire, but you also said that the LOF equaled God's Presence. So the logical thing to ask is 'will antichrist be thrown into God's Presence....
So you can explain rather than tell me not to quote counter verses.

I once thought of the lake of fire only as a place, but I'm not sure that's right. I think its possible the lake of fire is an event, judgment day, where the fire present is the very presence of God himself.

But then I remembered how Rev.19:20 says the antichrist is "thrown into" the lake of fire. To me, these two descriptions are synonymous.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
People are ouside the Kingdom doing their own thing now. He already came with the rod of iron, which is the unbreakable word of God (Isa.11:4). Jesus isn't coming with a literal metal rod to hit people wit who won't pay attention.

I'm not ignoring what you're saying. I've answered all this before. They're saying, "We will reign, because Jesus overcame." Not later on, but as the result of. Look,

And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever. Rev.11:15

Is he saying, "These kingdoms didn't belong to that Father and Son once. God hasn't always reigned over these kingdoms."??? No! He's saying, "Until Jesus rose from the dead, we didn't realize God and his Son have always reigned over these kingdoms." You see the difference?
So what exactly is the kingdom, today? Is it the church? What do you believe?

I believe the kingdom of God is here, in a spiritual sense, we got that in common. Jesus said if He drives out demons the kingdom of God has come upon you, ETC!
HOWEVER I also believe that there will be a LITERAL kingdom here on this earth, started by Jesus, one of these days!

When I read beat swords to plowshares i dont think no fighting amongst believers. This is clearly about NATIONS in general, has not happened, will not happen, UNTIL, Jesus returns at which time Jesus and the saints will RULE the nations as the scriptures teach.

Also you just completely twisted, turned and tried to change the meaning of Revelation 11:15.
NOT COOL!

Matthew55

Dec 29, 2018
Hello Sipsey,

I am in agreement with everything you said above, until you got to the part of answering for the sins we commit as Christians. Our sins will not even be brought up. For scripture states that "when we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us of all unrighteousness." The Lord is not going to bring back up what we has already cleansed us of. If that was the case that the Lord is going to bring up our sins that we were already forgiven for, then the blessed hope would be no blessed hope at all. We certainly wouldn't be looking forward to it. The examination our sins would surely overshadow any rewards we would receive.

At the Bema seat, we will receive reward or loss of reward, there will be no judgement for sins.

You are correct, and we are in agreement. I read this and didn’t proof read it thoroughly enough. I agree that we will answer for our deeds and not our sins. I will strive to be more diligent when cutting /pasting. Unfortunately the short time to edit has passed.
If we do good, what is likely to be our reward?

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
I guess you didn't catch my point. Of course the antiChrist doom is the Lake of fire, but you also said that the LOF equaled God's Presence. So the logical thing to ask is 'will antichrist be thrown into God's Presence....
Yes, in a manner of speaking, because he wouldn't willingly have any audience with Christ in glory. He's forced into it by the 2nd coming. There's no way out.

So you can explain rather than tell me not to quote counter verses.
That's what I've been doing throughout the whole thread. Paul says,

To me, on a smaller scale, but along the same lines, this is comparable to an intruder who touched the mountain Moses went up. Somebody who wasn't prepared to be near God and perished because of it.

There's more on how God himself is a consuming fire, but I don't want to go over this again. Brother, all I would like you to do is tell me, why does Paul say the beast is consumed and destroyed by the Spirit of Christ's mouth and the brightness of his coming? No mention of the lake of fire, just the presence of the Lord. Can you do that?

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
If we do good, what is likely to be our reward?
That would be totally up to Jesus. He said some would be called great in Heaven, and some the least. There are other verses that speak of crowns, which are cast at His feet.

Heaven and a life with Him for eternity, seems reward enough to me.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Yes, in a manner of speaking, because he wouldn't willingly have any audience with Christ in glory. He's forced into it by the 2nd coming. There's no way out.

That's what I've been doing throughout the whole thread. Paul says,

To me, on a smaller scale, but along the same lines, this is comparable to an intruder who touched the mountain Moses went up. Somebody who wasn't prepared to be near God and perished because of it.

There's more on how God himself is a consuming fire, but I don't want to go over this again. Brother, all I would like you to do is tell me, why does Paul say the beast is consumed and destroyed by the Spirit of Christ's mouth and the brightness of his coming? No mention of the lake of fire, just the presence of the Lord. Can you do that?
I'll just say I dont believe, as you said, 'the fire present is the very presence of God' and leave it at that.