The tithe.

• Thread starter Locoponydirtman
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Locoponydirtman

There is a lot of legalism concerning the tithe and what it is and is not.
“You shall surely tithe all the produce from what you sow, which comes out of the field every year. You shall eat in the presence of the Lord your God, at the place where He chooses to establish His name, the tithe of your grain, your new wine, your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and your flock, so that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always. If the distance is so great for you that you are not able to bring the tithe, since the place where the Lord your God chooses to set His name is too far away from you when the Lord your God blesses you, then you shall exchange it for money, and bind the money in your hand and go to the place which the Lord your God chooses. You may spend the money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen, or sheep, or wine, or strong drink, or whatever your heart desires; and there you shall eat in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household. Also you shall not neglect the Levite who is in your town, for he has no portion or inheritance among you. “At the end of every third year you shall bring out all the tithe of your produce in that year, and shall deposit it in your town. The Levite, because he has no portion or inheritance among you, and the alien, the orphan and the widow who are in your town, shall come and eat and be satisfied, in order that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.
Deuteronomy 14:22‭-‬29 NASB
https://bible.com/bible/100/deu.14.22-29.NASB

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
The blessing of the tithe, do you believe such favor transfers to the new covenant? Why would God have a system set in place to steward one’s finances and be blessed and protected under the Old Covenant and not have an equally if not greater system in place under the New Covenant?

This is not to say we are obligated to give, as that would be going contrary to scripture that says to not give out of obligation or “of necessity.” What I am asking you is, do you believe God still has a system set in place, spiritual laws if you will, that bless and protect the finances of believers?

I can think of Proverbs that speak of such, saying that giving to the poor is like lending to the Lord and He shall repay you. Then there are the verses that speak of sowing and reaping, and another proverb that says there is one that gives freely and yet increases or yet grows all the richer.

Do you see a legality here or wisdom in one’s stewardship?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Terminologies: Tithe and support.

Tithing applies to the Israel of old, not to assemblies since the advent of Jesus/Yeshua.
Support of the assembly or assemblies is just that. Paying the workman his due, and maintaining the meeting places.k Very important, in supporting your assembly the needy are attended also.......

None of the above is to be translated as making the pastor filthy rich, this is for the worldly and greedy.

Nov 16, 2019
There is a lot of legalism concerning the tithe and what it is and is not.
“You shall surely tithe all the produce from what you sow, which comes out of the field every year. You shall eat in the presence of the Lord your God, at the place where He chooses to establish His name, the tithe of your grain, your new wine, your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and your flock, so that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always. If the distance is so great for you that you are not able to bring the tithe, since the place where the Lord your God chooses to set His name is too far away from you when the Lord your God blesses you, then you shall exchange it for money, and bind the money in your hand and go to the place which the Lord your God chooses. You may spend the money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen, or sheep, or wine, or strong drink, or whatever your heart desires; and there you shall eat in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household. Also you shall not neglect the Levite who is in your town, for he has no portion or inheritance among you. “At the end of every third year you shall bring out all the tithe of your produce in that year, and shall deposit it in your town. The Levite, because he has no portion or inheritance among you, and the alien, the orphan and the widow who are in your town, shall come and eat and be satisfied, in order that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.
Deuteronomy 14:22‭-‬29 NASB
https://bible.com/bible/100/deu.14.22-29.NASB
The problem is not that there is a lot of legalism concerning the tithe. The problem is there is a lot of error concerning the tithe.

Tithing is a perfect example of how the church can be so blindly indoctrinated with a false teaching to the point that they can look right at the plain words of scripture and completely miss what it says and instead see their own biased doctrinal belief and argue endlessly that they are right and you are wrong.

If the church could actually see the plain words of the passage above they would not be complaining about tithing as much as they do. Can anybody here see how drastically different tithing is in the Bible quote above compared to how it is taught to us by the leadership of our churches? And we do this with other things in the Bible, too. We live in very scary times in the church right now.

Nov 16, 2019
None of the above is to be translated as making the pastor filthy rich, this is for the worldly and greedy.
If tithing was taught as written, pastors would be telling you to fatten yourself with your tithe. Except every third year when your increase is to be stored up to help the Levite (those in ministry), the alien, the orphan, and the widow.

If tithing was understood properly in the church maybe these so-called preachers who come into the church to fatten themselves at the expense of the flock would stick to selling cars instead.

Feb 29, 2020
There is no required tithe in the new testament.

In the new testament there is giving from the heart for those in need in the congregation and support for those who preach the gospel. But even Paul did not demand compensation for preaching the gospel lest anyone should make his glorying void. Sowing bountifully for true biblical purposes is a good thing however. But those with much should help those with few; that there may be equality. Those with few should not keep giving to those with much.

But "missionary" work these days mainly focus on spreading their churches doctrinal beliefs and establishing churches with the same doctrinal beliefs; the gospel is just for starters.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
If tithing was taught as written, pastors would be telling you to fatten yourself with your tithe. Except every third year when your increase is to be stored up to help the Levite (those in ministry), the alien, the orphan, and the widow.

If tithing was understood properly in the church maybe these so-called preachers who come into the church to fatten themselves at the expense of the flock would stick to selling cars instead.
One should be familiar with all of the regulations of @tithing.@ It cannot exist today.;Support cand, will and does.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Jesus said dont worry about what you will eat or drink or wear, He'll meet all those things.

How much do we have to pay each week to see that God holds to His promise?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
When I was first convinced by the Holy Spirit of our Lord, Jesus-Yeshua, I left the University of Illinois to study the Word only. I went to the Rockies and camped out simmers reading the Wor, various versions, and sharing the Word with all who would listen.
Although I was not in the attitude of believing I was ent out, a lot of neat things happened. One time I invited soem others who were camping in the campground at Kelly Dahl to come to my campsit for supper, not having a thing for them to eat, nor moey tobuy it.

I went to the public campsite to waxh my cup and fill my water container when a very nice woman came down from her camp with about a dozen teens with her. She asked me if I would want her remaining hand stuffed hot dogs because otherwise she would most likely toss sthem. I took them and we alll had home made stuffed hot dogs till we almost burst.
I continued reading and sharing and hitching around three states covering sever thousand miles a year with no need of support financially, nor did I ask for any kind of support aside fromsleepong on someon's property. I did work and did get work I described in prayer quite directly from the Lord.

Afther those three years I felt as though my reading time was just about done, and I asked God what I should do. In another miraculous manner, He told me to go to Israel, , Hebron (Jordan) to be exact. It was a miracle times three......….long story.........….

The only problem I had with being not working most of the time was when I was with anyone from my original worship assembly. They would pray out loud for me to get a job, not realizing I had been giving all the time I was in there area, bailing out a wak brother from jail, giveng to a small group for their rental of their place, and more.................so, I cannot tell you what one should expect but it is ok to rely.

Jan 12, 2019
Jesus said dont worry about what you will eat or drink or wear, He'll meet all those things.

Its is not to God, you give your money away so that you can convince yourself that you are trusting God.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

I believe that the current rate of exchange in return for keeping the lights on and food in the fridge is 10%. Wonder if that's before taxes or after taxes? Maybe those that pay in excess of 10% can get cable. Probably be cheaper in the long run.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
If people are going to blindly use the term, tithe, maybe they could reveal that the 10% is of your annual profit, not of your income.. This assures that those who have made profits, that is getting ahead, are tithed while those who have not are exempt... Oh now that does not help business men at all.

Relic

Apr 29, 2020

Tithing applies to the Israel of old, not to assemblies since the advent of Jesus/Yeshua.
Support of the assembly or assemblies is just that. Paying the workman his due, and maintaining the meeting places.k Very important, in supporting your assembly the needy are attended also.......

amen, well said and if we don't go to church, there is nowhere to tithe...sadly it is difficult to attend
churches because they are broken places filled with pastors being third millennium Pharisees.
The only road to God is by surrendering our will to Him leaving our own will behind forever.
There is no need for third party hypocrites. As stated in 2 Cor. once we have given ourselves totally
to God we become a new creation. A creation where God is in us and we are in Him. This way
words are obsolete because the Spirit of God is an intimate relationship with Him that no one else
can ever deny.

Relic

Apr 29, 2020
if we don't go to church, there is nowhere to tithe...sadly it is difficult to attend
churches because they are broken places filled with pastors being third millennium Pharisees.
The only road to God is by surrendering our will to Him leaving our own will behind forever.
There is no need for third party hypocrites. As stated in 2 Cor. once we have given ourselves totally
to God we become a new creation. A creation where God is in us and we are in Him. This way
words are obsolete because the Spirit of God is an intimate relationship with Him that no one else
can ever deny. Unless we surrender totally to God, we will forever live in the flesh and words
are just gibberish to God.

Relic

Apr 29, 2020

amen...well said and God bless.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Before the Mosaic Law is implemented Abraham's grandson Jacob makes his own conditional freewill vow to God: "IF GOD"

Gen. 28:20 And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and (IF GOD) will keep me in this way that I go, and (IF GOD) will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,

21 So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:

22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

(NOTE: Jacob's proposition is "IF GOD" meet's Jacob's requirements. He will give God back 10%.)

This conditional freewill 10% offering. Was only made on the increase of things already in Jacobs possession. NEVER on something future, like an unearned paycheck.

No Mosaic Law, no Levitical Priests, no local Churches. So, how or to whom did Jacob tithe? Two different way's:

Deut. 12:6 & 7 & 14:29
6) Bring your freewill offering, (7) have a communion meal with God/Christ. (14) Now freely share/give to the, poor, the stranger, the fatherless & the widow. And God will bless you in all the work of thine hand.

Under Mosaic law it was Tithes (PLURAL) not tithe that was required

Malachi 3:10 Bring ye "all the tithes" (PLURAL) into the storehouse,

Land owners paid 3 tithes of a tenth each, not one. The Levitical tithe (Numbers 18:19-20), the festival tithe (Deuteronomy 14:22-17), and the poor tithe, every 3rd year (Deuteronomy 14:28-29)

The tithe (under the Mosaic law) wasn't money according to Leviticus 27:30-31

Lev 27:31 And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes (Plural), he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.”
(NOTE: If a land owner wanted to give CASH to the Temple instead of grain, animals or increase of the field. He would have to add 1/5. I.E pay an additional 20%)

Fisherman paid nothing on their catch, tradesmen, cobblers, potters, the women who made the soliders garments, the servants who worked in the fields for wages, were not required to pay tithe.

Every 7th (Sabbath) year (Exodus 23:10-11), and 50th (Jubilee) year (Leviticus 25:10-11), the entire nation of tithers, within the nation of Israel were completely excluded from paying tithes for those entire years.

Instructions given to the Body of Christ on giving:

2 Corinthians 9:
6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
(NOTE: Give a little, receive a little, give alot, receive alot)

7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, ""or of necessity"": for God loveth a cheerful giver.
(NOTE: A tithe is given out of the laws necessity. A worthless gift from todays believer. A freewill gift from the heart is loved and rewarded by our Lord)

When it comes to giving. New covenant Christians are taught to give generously, sacrificial & expectant of a blessing in return. And most certainly be CHEERFULL FREEWILL GIVER'S!

We should all prayerfully examine our giving patterns. Pray earnestly that the Holy Spirit would challenge us. To see whether they are in line with God's New Testament plan of being Generous, Sacrificial, Cheerful Giver's!

Post is My Opinion Only

acts5_29

Apr 17, 2020
I would say tithing applies to churches today and not just to the Old Testament, but manner and/or the strictness of it changed. Before we were under the Law, but now under the New Covenant we are under the law of love. If you think of it like the difference between paying rent to your landlord and paying rent to your Dad...just because it's your own Dad doesn't mean you should more readily shortchange him. It should probably be the opposite.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I would say tithing applies to churches today and not just to the Old Testament, but manner and/or the strictness of it changed. Before we were under the Law, but now under the New Covenant we are under the law of love. If you think of it like the difference between paying rent to your landlord and paying rent to your Dad...just because it's your own Dad doesn't mean you should more readily shortchange him. It should probably be the opposite.
"... the sons are exempt" (see Matthew 17:24-27).

I would strongly encourage you to do more study on the covenants, particularly in Galatians and Hebrews.