Trouble with friends

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Kaylz

Apr 2, 2023
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
The friends that were real close to you when young may catch up with you when older, yes inevitably life gets in the way, but you just need to be open to new friendships.

I try not to be too clingy and shy away from those who claim I am their ONLY friend. That can be kind of possessive and unhealthy. I dont think its great to be jealous of a boyfriend as that friend chooses to be with him after all, if you dont like him or you think hes not good for her of course you can say, but accept that you really want the best for your friend. Dont be the kind of girl who insists on being married to her best friend!
Definitely not lol it's not that deep for me. But great advice none the less!

Kaylz

Apr 2, 2023
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
What do you all do with friends/people who do not keep in touch unless you initiate the conversation? Do you check in with them once in a while, or eventually stop?
If I am reaching out and they take days to respond or continue to not follow through with what they said they would do whether that is making plans etc then I eventually stop.

Kaylz

Apr 2, 2023
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Hi Kaylz!

Welcome to CC, and your post is definitely relatable Ms. Mediator had a great answer regarding friendships and expectations.

Hollywood seems to market friendships in the same way as it does couples -- women like in Sex in the City having glamorous luncheons, get-together, vacations, and shopping trips together. I've never had that (not that I'm complaining -- I'm very thankful for the friendships I do have.)

But as with anything else in life, what we see portrayed before us is a lot different than what we find in reality. Even in church presentations, they'll have video clips of big group hugs and people clasping hands while praying together as if they're kindred spiritual best friends -- but like Ms. Mediator said, what usually happens is that after the class, meeting, retreat, etc. is over, everyone scatters, goes their own separate ways, and never speaks again.

I honestly don't have any answers for this and it sounds like something almost every struggles with. I've even heard of BFF apps where people can basically search and swipe left or right in order to try to find a "best friend." I know it's been said over and over again, but it's amazing how much we are connected (talking to people on the other side of the world,) and yet all so desperately lonely.

I wouldn't have any friends either except for 3 I keep in touch with from my hometown, and since I'm not on Facebook, we only talk/text/catch up a couple times a year.

Then there is the group of singles I met here (about 6 of us) who I talk to almost daily via the magic of the interwebs, but other than that, I haven't managed to make any new friends in a long time. Usually, it's all situation-based, such as a new work location, class, participation group, etc. -- but as soon as those things end, so does the connection with the people.

All I know to do is to pray and keep trying.

But in all honesty, my life has become busier and more engulfed in the needs of my family over the years, so maybe God was preparing me for this and that's one of the reasons why.

Please keep us posted on how it's going!

The way I made friends here was by reading regular posts from regular posters, and once in a blue moon, a communication would go from there. Even then, there were lots of "false starts" (exchanges that stopped or faded away,) but I'm thankful that God provided great friendships through a few people.

Best wishes to you!
Thank you for this! ♥️

RodB651

Feb 11, 2021
Uncle Joey, why do Uncle Jesse and his wife go to bed so early?"

"They're... Uh... They're doing their taxes sweetie."

"Will they be doing their taxes EVERY night?"

"Well yeah, for the first six months or so."
Taxes???
you picked taxes as a response???

LOL

RodB651

Feb 11, 2021
Lol...

REFUND REFUND...
yes,..
REFUND ...
Yes!!!

LOL

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I went back on facebook after a long break and did some catch ups with friends and fam I hadnt been in touch with for a while.

One of my friends passed away and I was trying to tell the other friends in her group. One was in my ladies Bible study and was now married with 2 children, we had been praying for her pregnancies and her job and house etc.

She was very thankful I had reached out to her as its not easy being married with children and she hadnt been able to get to church, and our group was no longer meeting.

But I think that bible study group was the one where I made the most enduring christian friendships. Yes we met at the group but then I make time to do activities with the ladies outside the group. eg we dont always have to hang out in the group.

I think what Seoul wrote about singles and those (expensive) christian retreats is quite true, you met others but then go your separate ways and never hear from them again, because everyone lives so far away from each other while if its a group within you own church and you can easily keep in touch because of the proximity to each other that is better, or you need to keep making the effort to see each other.

I think we cannot expect some friends to keep in touch daily all the time, but value the time that we do have (im big on quality time) while married people, since they see their other half every single day, as. they live in the same house share the same bed and do eveything together all the time ....seem to take that time for granted. I think it can be exhausting to live like that. Even Jesus needed some time alone.

However I think people do need to make the effort and also throw a party once in a while to treat their friends. Not everyone will make it but they will value the effort you put in to make time.

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
I am currently reading the book Best Friends Forever by Irene Levine. The main takeaway is that BFF is a myth when it comes to female friendships, and that female friendships are very fragile. The book focuses on breakups of best/close friends. Women are quick to withdraw or dump best friends quickly even over single events (book gives examples of, unintended insults, not attending a family funeral, forgetting birthday or other important dates, etc.).

Not mentioned in the book, but guys/husbands being dumped should take some comfort in knowing that women are quick to dump anyone.

The book says that women have "face to face" friendships which are more intimate and sensitive to betrayal than guy friendships, which are "side by side" which are more or less activity based friendships (hunting, sports, etc.). Men also have a competitive streak so they don't get too close.

Anyway, it is a great book and page turner.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I forget birthdays all the time lol

The only person who should always remember your birthday is your mother!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Not everyone an attend funerals either, or knows how to organise them.

Also I think bosses take pleasure in dumping people, who they are never friends with but just pretend friends. Because I only recall one boss who I actually invited over to my place for a party!

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
I forget birthdays all the time lol

The only person who should always remember your birthday is your mother!
I entered the birthdays in the phone calendar. Just an excuse to reconnect and takes zero effort.

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
Not everyone an attend funerals either, or knows how to organise them.

Also I think bosses take pleasure in dumping people, who they are never friends with but just pretend friends. Because I only recall one boss who I actually invited over to my place for a party!
In this particular example, the woman was upset her best friend didnt attend her father's funeral. The friend didn't understand why till she lost a parent.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Ive attended funerals of friends family members whom Ive never met
more to support the mourner than to remember the person

But if she hadnt taken me she would have asked someone else. I was free at the time. when one of my close friends passed and her family had a memorial service in her tribal lands I couldnt go...I didnt have anyone to travel with and her family couldnt or wouldnt take me...her mum didnt like me or any of her friends

my sister flew half way round the world to attend her friends dads funeral.

I think funerals are emotional times for sure and not easy cos you never know when they may happen for most

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
in some cultures its not the funeral thats important but the wake or sitting with the ones left behind, and its usually a week or so not just the one day of burial.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I entered the birthdays in the phone calendar. Just an excuse to reconnect and takes zero effort.
facebook is good at birthday reminders...I dont use my phone calendar though. Usually I put things in my diary

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
we had this thing where if you borrow a book from the library on your birthday, the issues computer sings happy birthday to you. But so far nobody has done this in the time Id been there...!

My boss gave me the day off on my birthday and even a card then cut me the week after

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I didnt invite her to my party.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Eventually stop and go do something more productive and/or entertaining. If I have to initiate the conversation every time, they probably consider me an annoyance.
Hahaha so true!!!

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
I just saw a Judge Judy episode where two women in their 20s ended their friendship over a $200 bill; they had been best friends since kindergarten. Sad.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I just saw a Judge Judy episode where two women in their 20s ended their friendship over a $200 bill; they had been best friends since kindergarten. Sad.
If it's a $200 bill they were couterfeiting, cause the US mint don't make those. :p

I know, I know... You meant a bill for someone owing $200. I couldn't pass it up though.